• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MaGFest 8 - Alexandria, lll Results on OP lll GPX Tournaments!

krnred225

Smash Journeyman
Really though, there was no reason not to seed the tournament. If it had been seeded, the whole single elimination thing wouldn't have been as much of an issue.

Moadib_GPX

Smash Apprentice
wow. i didnt complain in brawl. you have no idea what your talking about.

im done arguing. have a nice day
My T.O. for brawl said you did, he saw me posting about this in Melee and said "OH MY GOD - that guy cried about losing in Brawl, don't respond to him, its pointless"

I respond because I care, not because I want to make you feel stupid.

My understanding here with your gripes:

1. Seeding - you played and lost to someone you play to all the time, from the looks of the ladder it was in the second round - ok understandable - if you mentioned it to us we could have done a SWAP in tio, thats not a problem.

2. Ruleset - we did in Melee a single elim until semi's. which were double elim - for the tournament not to last all day. this will not be done in 2011, we will run it DE the whole way.

Did I miss anything?

because you said we ran it on point last year (thank you) right? So if this is what you want to be heard, it has been Shinku.

Moadib_GPX

Smash Apprentice
Really though, there was no reason not to seed the tournament. If it had been seeded, the whole single elimination thing wouldn't have been as much of an issue.

Seeding is helpful, but there was no pot associated to this tourney we didnt see the need to seed it for this reason. it was more a bragging rights tourney with some minor prizes handed out by MaGFest.

rpgfighter

Smash Journeyman
Guys, I am sorry it could not be seeded. Dont blame us, blame the people who run MAGfest as a whole.

Lets just move on and hopefully we get it right next year.

Or you could blame us, whatever works at this point...

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
Don't worry, guys, it was Magfest, not really what we'd call a normal tournament.

Shinku <3: I feel you man, but you shouldn't have lost ;D ever.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Lol Shinku would've easily been 2nd in melee 3rd at the worst if it had been seeded right

I knew I shouldn't have left the fest on friday

Mr. Tourney runner guy, you did bad seeding, just admit that something was incorrect. I appreciate you apologizing and promising to correct it at next years magfest.

If you're gonna run a tournament at a gamefest, you should allow the players who enter to get a taste of the pro world. Thats what I did at last years MAGfest tournament, I ran melee and brawl and they were all Double Elim and even when Shinku lost early he was able to bring it back.

Shinku isn't crying because he lost, he's mad no one would do anything. Waffle told me all about it, you all say you would've edited Tio for him, but apparently he was saying something.

Just correct this for the future, and stop calling Shinku a crybaby, his argument is justified. This discussion should be over now.

Moadib_GPX

Smash Apprentice
Guys, I am sorry it could not be seeded. Dont blame us, blame the people who run MAGfest as a whole.

Lets just move on and hopefully we get it right next year.
no no patrick, there is no blame at all...when there is a pot associated with it, definitely seed it...this was a simple tournament to cover the basis in MaGFest to make sure it had Brawl and Melee - no need for it, and no one is at fault for anything at all. folks have to learn that there are a variety of tournaments, not everyone runs the same rule sets as the majors. but those have money associated, so they run more tournament official rulesets.

this was a tourney for fun - get that in your heads - and get passed it.

Listen I hate losing too, but I have to swallow it when I do and move on, perhaps learn from it. I can't start throwing blame everywhere when I lose.

No flame to you Shinku, really, I hope you understand bud.

rpgfighter

Smash Journeyman
Lol Shinku would've easily been 2nd in melee 3rd at the worst if it had been seeded right

Mr. Tourney runner guy, you did bad seeding, just admit that something was incorrect. I appreciate you apologizing and promising to correct it at next years magfest.

If you're gonna run a tournament at a gamefest, you should allow the players who enter to get a taste of the pro world. Thats what I did at last years MAGfest tournament, I ran melee and brawl and they were all Double Elim and even when Shinku lost early he was able to bring it back.

Shinku isn't crying because he lost, he's mad no one would do anything. Waffle told me all about it, you all say you would've edited Tio for him, but apparently he was saying something.

Just correct this for the future, and stop calling Shinku a crybaby, his argument is justified. This discussion should be over now.
I did so bad at the seeding I dident even seed it...

But I am very sorry about all of this guys, I can assure that if I do it next year it will run smoother, better and overall will be more entertaining for all of you.

I can assure you of that, its bugging me that I screwed up on something so simple.

Shinku

Smash Champion
yeah youve got a point. like i said before its just a convention tourney, so i shouldn't take it so seriously it was just for fun. anywho, i hope you guys come to pound 4, real talk

redd you gay son LOL. and thanks tant.

Moadib_GPX

Smash Apprentice

All I see here is that if the conditions were set for Shinku in his favor he would of placed better???

That makes no sense...again - not a pot tourney that needed the time to seed it.

But I can concede to this since you are all complaining about it. I am sorry you lost early on Shinku, I am sorry that we did not set the stage for you to win...

I will leave this alone, because it is pointless. tourney software randomized the brackett yet people will always complain, I will agree to disagree and let it be.

Moadib_GPX

Smash Apprentice
yeah youve got a point. like i said before its just a convention tourney, so i shouldn't take it so seriously it was just for fun. anywho, i hope you guys come to pound 4, real talk

We will be @ Pound - in the end we always want to make sure we stick to tournament official rulesets - but we were conforming - originally we were told to remove Melee from the tourney list - I kept it on, because Ken wanted to run it and we were told if we kept it, to make it go faster and not keep it DE...I can truly understand losing early on like you said, say Daigo and Justin competing in the first round - no good. The other problem to this, we don't know all of you it would have been difficult to seed - we would do it by region (the location tab in TIO).

If I got upset, it is because I love MaGFest and I originally was upset about your post which specifically flamed them for no reason without a real critique.

but in the end this is for fun - we stick to our tourney guns when running anything with pots or bonus money associated. We will work on this for MaG in the next year.

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer

<3 man, <3.

Sadly I won't be at Pound because of terrible timing, but go to Chu's Friday and let's play/mm $5. =D

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
The only smashers who got screwed over by seeding were Epsilon, Shinku, and Ikea (should've fought me the next round), which is pretty lucky, considering how many were there...

Just get a smasher to do seeding instead of telling us we can't change the brakets when we point out a problem. Shinku fighting skyheart 2nd round and Epsilon fighting Shinku first round are ********...

I liked the single elim for the first couple of rounds. Helps eliminate da nubs faster. Just seed it.

The top 3 definitely should've been me/shinku/skyheart.

The biggest reason why the tourney ran so long is that many people didn't show up... A lot of time was spent on finding people/deciding who advances when two players aren't present. The later rounds progressed much faster.

Moadib_GPX

Smash Apprentice
Not because the ruleset didn't benefit shinku, but because it wasn't fair.

Get a grip, Mr. President

I think I did have a grip there bud, I was upset and then I let it go. In the end I see your points and I will strive to make sure we seed regardless of a pot tourney or not. I would rather take that time to do that then deal with arguing over who should win who shouldnt win, drama llama...

I think some of you guys need a grip as well when it comes to insulting a convention for any and every little detail that does not go your way. I don't want to rehash this again, but we each had proper points, and I agree to Shinku's point where seeding would have solved those problems.

but the original post made - cursing and insulting the con for it, was not the right way to convey the message from the get go.

skyheart

Smash Lord
Hopefully tant will run it next year, but i mean either way im gonna go straight to Grand Finals without a loss, and depending on who I fight will depend on how much i want the win, which will determine whether ima fight for first or not. Shinku you shouldn't be complaining you would have gotten second at this tourney if it was seeded right and we fought in grand finals. I gave you the price i won for getting second so technically its like you got second and lost to me in grand finals. Like i keep saying it doesn't matter if you faced me early on in brackets or last. it would have been the same results. be happy you had like 36 dollars worth of free stuff =D raaaaaaaaaaape

skyheart

Smash Lord
I think I did have a grip there bud, I was upset and then I let it go. In the end I see your points and I will strive to make sure we seed regardless of a pot tourney or not. I would rather take that time to do that then deal with arguing over who should win who shouldnt win, drama llama...

I think some of you guys need a grip as well when it comes to insulting a convention for any and every little detail that does not go your way. I don't want to rehash this again, but we each had proper points, and I agree to Shinku's point where seeding would have solved those problems.

but the original post made - cursing and insulting the con for it, was not the right way to convey the message from the get go.
basically shinkus not complaining cuz he didn't win. he's complaining because the results aren't accurate. The most important thing in tourneys isn't who gets first or second, its about having accurate results. like looking at the results from 1-33 im pretty sure those names would be in a completely different order if it was run the right way, not the scrub way....

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Yeah I can probably run the stuff for MAGfest next year in terms of smash

I gotta be on the staffing crew to do that technically though, maybe i'll just help the TO staff and use my laptop

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
The point of a tournament is to find out who the most skillful players are. Seeding and multi-elimination rulesets are implemented to ensure accuracy in results. Seeding is not an exact science, and you don't need to know who the best players are in order to seed properly.

This tournament was a prime example of the importance of double-elim and seeding. Shinku and Rico fought second round, and due to single-elimination rules, Shinku placed second to last. Prizes for the top places are given out under the assumption that they are the most skilled players there; Shinku was most likely the best player there and his placement does not accurately reflect his skill.

Round-robin tournaments yesh

Shinku

Smash Champion
naw i was def the best player there, no doubt about it =D
and yet ive beaten you sooooo many more times in tounrey and you know this. you only beat me twice at this magfest and last year. if your so confident , 20 doller mm???? since your the best player im sure you wont back down, ill be waiting at pound

sixpod

Smash Rookie
wow. seriously guys. I know that people get serious over tournaments and I LOVE the spirit of competition, but when it comes down to it. Moadib is a PRO tournament runner, for ****'s sake he runs a video game logistic company that set up at over 100+ events and run tournaments all over the U.S.
He has been, and many of his staff members and sponsored players are top players in many games and all play in national tourneys.
With that said.
Skyheart is 100% right, it really does not matter if it was seeded or not because you took the lose. The end result still would have been the same. You have good days and bad days, this day just happened to go to the one that could b perfect and stay perfect/or lucky depending on how you look at it.
It's not saying that the tourney was unfair or even ran bad, but the rules were known before hand and like many national tourneys no seeding was made. If you didn't like it, then you shouldn't have played.
I have alot of respect for all players wether they are New or Pro, but this arguing over something like this is not really inviting for a community.

Top Bottom