• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mafia Milkyway Sleepover - Serial Killer wins (with a Gold Metal for Mafia)

Ronike

Smash Ace
Lol, a random lynch... surely you must be jesting
Oh wait, your not?

Well, its not a TERRIBLE idea I guess... But I can't see this as an option at the moment. Maybe if we get close to the deadline and seem nowhere near a lynch. But even then, it seems really unfair to whoever gets the short end of the stick... But why are we even suggesting this now? This seems like a rush to get the day over IMO...

FOS: Tom and Hando

Handorin

Smash Hero
How would be able to make sure that it was truly random?
www.random.org

Lol, a random lynch... surely you must be jesting
Oh wait, your not?

Well, its not a TERRIBLE idea I guess... But I can't see this as an option at the moment. Maybe if we get close to the deadline and seem nowhere near a lynch. But even then, it seems really unfair to whoever gets the short end of the stick... But why are we even suggesting this now? This seems like a rush to get the day over IMO...

FOS: Tom and Hando
Notice how I then posted results, but did not agree with. But what Tom said was true, there wouldnt be any mafia influence.

Handorin

Smash Hero
FYI: The first time I did it, it had me as the first lynch. And I was like screw that, so I tried again. So obviously, it can be biased. >_>

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
What does everyone think of the idea of a purely random lynch?
A random lynch would only be good in the absence of any evidence.

Since we already have some evidence, however slim, we should use it to make the best possible lynch we can.

Matunas

I'm a monster!
BRoomer
NNID
Matunas
Tom? Really? I'm in no way for a random lynch. For one there is no point when we have things to go off of. Another, as has been pointed out, there is no way to know that it was actually random and not changed by someone.

That seems pretty crazy to bring up. So my current question to you is: Why did you bring it up?

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
It seems like Tom is trying to get the day over with...but smashbot wont leave KK alone either.

FOS: on Tom and smashbot for now

Handorin

Smash Hero
It seems like Tom is trying to get the day over with...but smashbot wont leave KK alone either.

FOS: on Tom and smashbot for now
A never ending D1? *shivers*

I don't see your solution to end it yet. Why not a vote rather than a FoS?

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
Because I don't think i find enough reason to give a vote? besides...there are two names there...i don't get two votes.

I'm just not sure which action seems more scummy, Tom just pushing to lynch anyone, or smashbot trying to lynch KK. I'm leaning towards Tom, but I'm still not convinced against smashbot, since it looks like his only evidience is a prior game.

Yaya

Smash Champion
Hmm.

This is based on my experience at IRC Mafia, but, some players have a meta, which shows the way they act when they are town, mafia, or even independent.

We could take things from Unlucky 13, Nowhere Man, Tomafia, and hell, even some of the age old ones to see if we can pick anything up on players.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Is that all anyone has to say about a purely random lynch? Junglefever, do you want to flesh out your theory about how a purely random lynch is a lynch on "anyone," and why that is scummy? Junglefever and Ronike, do you want to expand on the idea that a purely random lynch "ends the day too soon?" Macman, Handorin, if we were able to bypass the 'honor' restrictions about how someone could make random lynch purely random and unbiased, how would you two feel about that? Marshy, do you want to jump in?

Matunas

I'm a monster!
BRoomer
NNID
Matunas
Tom - You didn't ask me, but here is my opinion. I think it's pointless and an unnecessary risk. I'd rather take out a seemingly weak townie then throw caution to the wind and see what happens. We get no vote patterns, discussion of people, and less chance to spot scum tells. If we do it early in the day then we potentially lose a day worth of discussion.

There are already better targets then the random lynch. Plus, as I already said, there is no way to prove it is random. You're either trying to spark discussion or going some other route I've never seen you go before in mafia. For some reason I don't find you too suspicious for this, only curious as to where you're going with it. I'm glad you found some way to start discussion, but I'd really appreciate your opinion on the subject as well.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
We could take things from Unlucky 13, Nowhere Man, Tomafia, and hell, even some of the age old ones to see if we can pick anything up on players.
this would take forever and some players play differently depending on role, boredom, etc. even if they're on the same side in a different game

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
All the same...

Reading back, I realize you didn't, so Ill just change it a bit to say if we are always gonna vote him out because he's not very good, how the heck is he gonna get better. Let's treat him just like anyone else: let him live until he makes the tiniest mistake, then crush him like a bug. Jk, jk.
don't get me wrong i actually agree. karthik is still a lynch candidate, i just don't want to end the day quickly because it'll give us less to work with later.

i just responded the way i did in case people thought i had said that he should be lynched because i thought he was bad when i never said that. clarification was all.

Ronike

Smash Ace
Well Tom, even though you posted at specific poeple, I'm bored, so here goes:

IJunglefever, do you want to flesh out your theory about how a purely random lynch is a lynch on "anyone," and why that is scummy?
I can't find where he said this, but I'd assume he means that whoever makes the "random" lynch could just choose who they want lynched. This is obviously scummy as if the mafia does it, someone good is prolly gonna die.

Macman, Handorin, if we were able to bypass the 'honor' restrictions about how someone could make random lynch purely random and unbiased, how would you two feel about that?
But how would this be possible? This is my question to you. Were we able to bypass the 'honor' restrictions, it would be plausible for some situations (explained later).

Junglefever and Ronike, do you want to expand on the idea that a purely random lynch "ends the day too soon?"
It doesn't neccesarily end the day too soon, just right now it would end the day too soon. Its a good last resort option, but only if we have absolutely no idea whom to vote. Which would never happen. We always have info, therefore there is always an idea of who to lynch. Now, there can be some good applications of a random lynch. For example, if we have a two+ people who we consider extremely scummish and can't decide who to vote for, a random lynch between the two could be a good idea. But a game wide random lynch? NO!

Yaya

Smash Champion
this would take forever and some players play differently depending on role, boredom, etc. even if they're on the same side in a different game
...That's exactly what I was saying, meta involves your actions as a certain role, which includes boredom.

And yes, it would take a while, but are we getting anywhere today?

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Is that all anyone has to say about a purely random lynch? Junglefever, do you want to flesh out your theory about how a purely random lynch is a lynch on "anyone," and why that is scummy? Junglefever and Ronike, do you want to expand on the idea that a purely random lynch "ends the day too soon?" Macman, Handorin, if we were able to bypass the 'honor' restrictions about how someone could make random lynch purely random and unbiased, how would you two feel about that? Marshy, do you want to jump in?
Still waiting for responses from Junglefever, Macman, and Handorin.

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
I don't mean to take the esay way out, but its late and I'm getting called out. Matunas pretty much summed why i feel anyone can be lynched. I only think its scummy because you are just looking to eliminate pretty much everyone but yourself...just my thoughts

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
...That's exactly what I was saying, meta involves your actions as a certain role, which includes boredom.

And yes, it would take a while, but are we getting anywhere today?
If you're convinced that it'd help go for it.

Just keep in mind that about 7 of the 13 players have only played in 1-3 mafia games. I think 5 out of 13 have played as both mafia and townie. I don't think info coming from that would be very useful

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
we should nameclaim. most of my reasoning for being against it in nowhere was bad. i'll go first if we agree to it. or last if people'd like that

Handorin

Smash Hero
That doesn't answer his question at all
It does answer the question. What you put on there comes out truly random. The catch is what people actually post, which I have explained.

Still waiting for responses from Junglefever, Macman, and Handorin.
aaaand, because of this, Im against the 'truly random lynch.' There is no way to prove that our results are real unless we all download desktop recording software and post a video. The best bet, as others have stated, would to eliminate a seemingly weak townie or a scummy person.

we should nameclaim. most of my reasoning for being against it in nowhere was bad. i'll go first if we agree to it. or last if people'd like that
While Im not against it, Im not for it. I dont think it will reveal any useful information UNLESS we have names conflicting, then things would get fishy cause I doubt *the GM whos name escapes me right now* would do that.

Matunas

I'm a monster!
BRoomer
NNID
Matunas
While I typically don't think a nameclaim is a great idea on D1, I've been wanting to see what would happen with a full game nameclaim early in a game. So I wouldn't mind discussion on the subject at least.

Tom - I'd still like your reasoning behind things. Maybe you'll share now that others have somewhat answered.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
It does answer the question. What you put on there comes out truly random.
That's not making sure that it's random though. bah this is just interpreting what he said differently.

Handorin said:
While Im not against it, Im not for it. I dont think it will reveal any useful information UNLESS we have names conflicting, then things would get fishy cause I doubt *the GM whos name escapes me right now* would do that.
It revealed useful information in Nowhere Mafia without names conflicting. One of the mafia members claimed a character who was bad in the show. If someone names an obvious bad guy relating to this theme, well then that's something to work with. I'm not going to name specific characters to look out for and neither should anyone else. Mafia doesn't need info to work with.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
While I typically don't think a nameclaim is a great idea on D1, I've been wanting to see what would happen with a full game nameclaim early in a game.
We did it early Day 2 in Nowhere Mafia. led to the mafia members claiming wrong and played a huge part in leading to a town win.

we should definitely do it pllllllllzzzzz

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
lol handorin Marshy's right, that's obviously not the answer that I was looking for. Don't try to justify your response when you misunderstood the question.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
---------VOTES (It takes 7 votes out of 13 players)------

Smashbot - Tom, KK (2)

KK - Smashbot (1)

Medi - Handorin (1)

Not Voted - Mediocre, Macman, Yaya, Matunas, Mentosman, Ronike, Marshy, Junglefever, Omis (9)

Handorin

Smash Hero
That's not making sure that it's random though. bah this is just interpreting what he said differently.

It revealed useful information in Nowhere Mafia without names conflicting. One of the mafia members claimed a character who was bad in the show. If someone names an obvious bad guy relating to this theme, well then that's something to work with. I'm not going to name specific characters to look out for and neither should anyone else. Mafia doesn't need info to work with.
We did it early Day 2 in Nowhere Mafia. led to the mafia members claiming wrong and played a huge part in leading to a town win.

we should definitely do it pllllllllzzzzz
This isnt nowhere mafia, and it isnt based on a TV show with bad guys. It's Nintendo with happy go lucky people. I cant really think of any bad female character off the top of my head.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
I cant really think of any bad female character off the top of my head.
so? i can and you'll have to trust me on that because they shouldn't be named. there are plenty.

as for it not being nowhere mafia, i never guaranteed that this would even provide anything useful.

however there are potentially huge benefits and little downside. we should do it.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
I'm currently typing up my analysis and responses to the probe question I asked about a purely random lynch and what I think about the responses I got. HOWEVER, I think I should get my opinion of a mass nameclaim out before some people start claiming names.

Marshy, what you've said makes sense, but there could be downsides to name-claming that you aren't mentioning. Some of the names that are bound to turn up are going to be more important than others, more prominent figures in the Nintendo franchises, and quite possibly more important roles in this game. The mafia could target those names at night to eliminate possibly powerful roles. Also, there could be someone who has a power that reaps great advantages from knowing who is what character, like a lyncher who wants to get a specific character (but untold what player) lynched (happened in MARVEL mafia).

So I'm not for a mass name-claim right now. Maybe when we know more.

Handorin

Smash Hero
so? i can and you'll have to trust me on that because they shouldn't be named. there are plenty.

as for it not being nowhere mafia, i never guaranteed that this would even provide anything useful.

however there are potentially huge benefits and little downside. we should do it.
Thanks. Good to keep those bad guys in the dark. I guess I should do my research so I can fake name claim so I can pick out the bad people when they come around....

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Thanks. Good to keep those bad guys in the dark. I guess I should do my research so I can fake name claim so I can pick out the bad people when they come around....
we do run the risk of mafia successfully fake claiming. this is a gamble, and mafia lost the last time town took it. even if bad names don't pop out at first, names people claim can be used as evidence against them along with scummy things they've said as we get closer to the endgame. benefit.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Some of the names that are bound to turn up are going to be more important than others, more prominent figures in the Nintendo franchises, and quite possibly more important roles in this game. The mafia could target those names at night to eliminate possibly powerful roles.
assuming that the roles are picked up from different Nintendo franchises there's just as much a chance that every townie name plays a huge role in the game that they're in. There are enough prominent female Nintendo characters that it's feasible.

there's also the possibility that, given the theme, power roles could've been assigned to characters who could use it based on what they did in their game. For example, Katt from Star Fox 64 could be a vig because she shot people. however she plays such a small role (ho ho ho) in her game that she'd likely be overlooked by the mafia if nameclaimed making it possible that more prominent characters could have weak roles.

normally i wouldn't go for this but it seems like it could be true in this game. if you're going to pull nintendo characters from different franchises, why not make them all prominent? why would rockin choose an important character from zelda and a minor character from metroid? you can intermix those franchises with other nintendo franchises.

or there could be a mixture where some names are obvious power roles and some aren't. there's enough doubt that i'd be willing to gamble.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Tom said:
Also, there could be someone who has a power that reaps great advantages from knowing who is what character, like a lyncher who wants to get a specific character (but untold what player) lynched (happened in MARVEL mafia).
This is just unlikely. There have been 20+ mafia games on SWF with themes that could've had an independent lyncher in them. 2 of them did (marvel and fire emblem). i don't see how this is a compelling enough reason to ignore the potential benefits.

smashbot226

Smash Master
Well, we could have a Daisy out here wanting to lynch a Peach. We don't really know much yet about the possibilities.

Here are possibilities:

Krystal/Zelda = Role Switcher

Samus = Vig or Cop

Zelda/Krystal = Doctor

Miller = Peach

Captain Syrup = SK (Yeah I don't even know.)

We may need to look further though as to what possible roles there could be.

Top Bottom