• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mafia Game Queue and Sign Up Thread - Mention me about queue updates please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
I have a game I could run immediately. But for the sake of having people actually wanting to play mafia, I don't think it's good for the time between games to be short. I think that probably encourages less activity overall, even if there are some people who are always raring to go.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Hmmmmmmmm

Does it feel too early for another ricochet game? I know someone that was interested in hosting one.

If not, maybe there is another diplomacy game we can play? :3

Or we just take a break until a game is ready.

Last edited:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I have a setup ready, but honestly don't want to host right now with Smash Ultimate around the corner. Not to mention its a cult setup, so I'm not sure if people want that or something more standard.

Alice Phantasma

Smash Apprentice
I think I'll just wait a couple of weeks after smash ultimate before I put up the ricochet game. I'd probably be playing that instead of hosting the game myself so xD

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
When does Charlie Brown Mafia start?

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
#HBC | Nabe #HBC | Nabe

Didn't want to disrupt your game so I'll put this here: if I knew your game didn't have night PMs I definitely would have signed up. 20/20 I suppose

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
I'm jealous of how well #HBC | Nabe #HBC | Nabe that I'm going to sign up to run a twoPick mafia, whenever there's room in the queue. Working on setting up the premise at the moment. It's far from completion, but I would love to run it at some point once it's set up.

Pick two characters. You get an amalgamation of the two. Pretty nifty. Also it's a sequel. Am I signing up correctly?

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
I'm jealous of how well #HBC | Nabe #HBC | Nabe that I'm going to sign up to run a twoPick mafia, whenever there's room in the queue. Working on setting up the premise at the moment. It's far from completion, but I would love to run it at some point once it's set up.

Pick two characters. You get an amalgamation of the two. Pretty nifty. Also it's a sequel. Am I signing up correctly?
Oh and I made a discord server to run a testgame before I bring it here. And y'all should check it out; I have 7 members which is much less than how many players I'm hoping to get when I run it. Day 1 starts in roughly 3 hours, and I have a bunch of roles that I made that need to be taken. Adding players in shouldn't be a problem. I also don't want my first game to flop so help pls thnx... The link is in my signature which I created just for this "momentous occasion"

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Also if people want to play Ricochet again I have a game of that almost ready to go. I'll probably wait until enough people are out of Giraffe's game before starting it, though, but maybe I can put the thread up early for signups and stuff.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Omg I'm so sorry praline I feel bad!!!

I'm close to wrapping up what I had in store when I last PM'd you, will send you it soon. So I'm not quite ready yet + the start of this semester alongside hosting Mafia would make me miserable LOL So I'll let Giraffe go on ahead with his game if you don't mind!!

Alice Phantasma

Smash Apprentice
y Ricochet again I have a game of that almost ready to go. I'll probably wait until enough people are out of Giraffe's game before starting it, though, but maybe I can put the thread up early for signups and stuff.
I'd play.

giraffelasergun

Smash Lord
Also if people want to play Ricochet again I have a game of that almost ready to go. I'll probably wait until enough people are out of Giraffe's game before starting it, though, but maybe I can put the thread up early for signups and stuff.
I need to postpone my game, you can post signups if you want.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
I'm running a 6/2 uPick test on discord, and the final day is coming to a close in just under 60 minutes. I'll be sure to post the results here when it wraps up, but I thought it would be a good idea to check and test my storymastering abilities before I post a thread. I'm in the process of getting an official game ready for DGames and not a 13 person discord server. Currently it is known that there are 2 mafia remaining, which sucks for the 3 town because they haven't been able to lynch any mafia. It's Day 3 right now, and they are in a desperate Lylo situation.

Current Deaths: (I'm keeping usernames private for now)

CHARACTER: Nice, Cold Vanilla Ice Cream {Rockin-RC}, D1 Lynch

DESCRIPTION: You're literally just a vanilla ice cream cone. Sure, you're aware that everybody loves you in some way or another, but you don't feel like you stand out as much as you should. Sometimes, you're just overcome with a sense of...blandness. It's seems as if you feel that way right now.

ALIGNMENT:

Town

WIN CONDITION:

You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated.

Help out your faction by convincing them to lynch the mafia, thusly eliminating them from the game. Make sure that you yourself aren't killed by the mafia in the process. You won't know who the mafia is until they are lynched. Stay wary in case you lynch a townsperson.

ABILITIES:
+ You are immune to being frozen.
+ If two or more players target you at night, all players that targeted you will become frozen.
+ You and only you know that earthquakes are not in the game.
- That's pretty much it. You're a vanilla townsperson.

CHARACTER: Jeremy (Brick) Wall {Worldwide Hiker, had no preference}, N1 Kill

DESCRIPTION: You are a literally just brick wall that happens to be named Jeremy. Sorry, you probably should have been a bit more specific. That is the maximum personification that you will receive in this game; you never decided to be a sentient object. You are, however, a brick wall. You can take a few hits, and you may become worse for wear. That can't help you from appearing suspicious due to your inability to speak, or your avoidance of seemingly all night drama.

ALIGNMENT:

Town

WIN CONDITION:

You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated.

Help out your faction by convincing them to lynch the mafia, thusly eliminating them from the game. Make sure that you yourself aren't killed by the mafia in the process. You won't know who the mafia is until they are lynched. Stay wary in case you lynch a townsperson.

ABILITIES:
- You are unable to speak in the game thread.
- This is a bigger downside than you think.
+ To vote for a player, inform me in this DM.
+ I will inform the rest of the players of your anonymous vote.
+ Your vote will only be revealed when there has been a lynching majority reached, or the end of the day is reached.

+ You start the game with durability.
+ If you are at all lynched, you loose your durability but remain in the game.
+ You cannot be attacked if you possess durability.
- You CAN be attacked if you have another status effect inflicted upon you.

CHARACTER: Shuntaro Furukawa, President of Nintendo. {DJ Natz(Natzaro)}, D2 Lynch

DESCRIPTION: You are Shuntaro Furukawa, the esteemed president of the Nintendo corporation. After taking over the company back in June of 2018, you have done your best to make sure that Nintendo continues to produce quality games for consumers all around the globe, and you have succeeded. You always seem to know what the people want, and you have done a great job putting your money towards worthy projects. Good on you, man.

ALIGNMENT:

Town

WIN CONDITION: You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated.

ABILITIES:

+ You have 5 coins. Eh, you can handle it.

+ You may purchase an energy drink for 1 coin. An energy drink will reveal the names of all players who targeted the person who used the drink. This is a one-night use before it is consumed. These can be gifted to others, or stolen from you. Current Stock: 3

+ You may purchase an antidote for 1 coin. Antidotes prevent the user from being poisoned on the night it was used. One time use, can be gifted or stolen. Current Stock: 0

+ You may purchase an earth-calmer for 1 coin. Earth-calmers prevent an earthquake from occurring the night it was used. Current Stock: 0

+ You may purchase gloves for 2 coins. Gloves prevent the user from being shocked once. Gloves last forever, or until they are shocked. Then, the gloves will be consumed. Current Stock: 2 (pairs)

+ You may purchase binoculars for 2 coins. Binoculars allow the user to view who all players targeted. Then, the binoculars will be consumed. Current Stock: 1

+ You may purchase a bat for 2 coins. If the user of the bat was targeted on the night that it was used, the user will instead attack the player who targeted them. One time use, can be gifted or stolen. Current Stock: 1

+ You may purchase a trench coat for 3 coins. Trench coats prevent the user from being attacked once. Lasts forever until attacked, then it is consumed. Current Stock: 1

+ You may purchase a bulletproof vest for 5 coins. Bulletproof vests prevent the user from being shot for the rest of the game. Current Stock: 1

- You may only purchase 1 item a night.
- You may only use one item a night.
- Keep in mind that all players with money will have access to the same shop.
- Keep in mind that not all game mechanics mentioned in the item descriptions are actually used.
+ More items may come into the shop eventually.
+ You are the only person who knows that earthquakes are not in the game.

+ Once per night, you may sponsor an item in the shop.
+ You will receive all of the coins that were spent on that item the following night.

No kill N2.

I took to the mafia-scum wiki to further my knowledge on other roles that I wasn't too familiar with, and I also designed abilities akin to how Nabe did, as some of you might infer. The game is coming down to the wire, and I'll let you all know the results. In the meantime, I would love feedback; let me know how I did with these and what seems underpowered/overpowered. So far the game has remained relatively balanced...

Edit: Recolored role posts to differentiate between which is which. All three were town, so don't worry about the colors meaning anything besides separating the roles.

Last edited:

Dooplissity

BRoomer
BRoomer
So, why do two people both know that they're the only person that knows that earthquakes aren't in the game?

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
So, why do two people both know that they're the only person that knows that earthquakes aren't in the game?
I told half of the players that they were the only ones that knew that earthquakes weren't in the game. I was thinking back to when Nabe said the same to me about poison, and that I wondered what I could do with the knowledge in game. Here, I figured I'd have everybody feel the same way mutually, without anybody else knowing that the rest of the townies new it too. I didn't tell Brick Wall because he couldn't do anything with the information.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
The fact that they were the ONLY one that knew was a lie, but earthquakes aren't actually in the game, so it didn't end up being too huge of a thing. I mean I guess everybody felt special because of it (?) Maybe it was a dicky thing to do...
Let me offer an opinion; Do not lie to your players.
If you are going to lie to them, do it for a good reason, and do it only once.

I played a game with four 1-shot vigilantes. Except two of them were 2-shot vigilantes. Except three of them were fake.
It was pretty funny at the time, and it was also relatively simple to figure out who was legitimate.

I think mafia should be a game where the players are against one another, not the moderator. If you want to see what the players do with something, give them an opportunity to lie. Give townies their own fake claims. Do something that lets them play the game in fun and different ways, not something that confuses them and makes them struggle.

Of course, you could warn your players before they sign up not to trust you completely, and I am sure that some people would still sign up. But I think it is a trap you should be made aware of; to make things confusing and difficult for your players, where the payoff is little more than your own amusement.

Actually I checked and there were six 1-shot vigilantes. End of lesson.

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
The fact that they were the ONLY one that knew was a lie, but earthquakes aren't actually in the game, so it didn't end up being too huge of a thing. I mean I guess everybody felt special because of it (?) Maybe it was a dicky thing to do...
Honestly, this is pretty minor, and just kind of funny.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Edit: moved this post to rules thread. I was tired last night and posted it in here but def deserves to be in the rules thread.

Last edited:

Dooplissity

BRoomer
BRoomer
Unless you've explicitly said that it's a b****** game, or otherwise indicated that moderator lies are in play, you should never lie to your players.

In context this one ends up being more humorous than harmful, though.

Last edited:

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
CHARACTER: Not-what-you-expected hydrant that is literally on fire {squiggle: requested a fire hydrant}

DESCRIPTION: Ever since you were first placed on the streets, your engineers could never understand why you were so different from all the other fire hydrants. For one, you are, somehow, always on fire. You are a literally-on-fire hydrant. Yes, you are confused about it as well. However, you get even more confused because the water that shoots out freezes in mid-air. It's a peculiar phenomenon that not even scientists can explain. So there you go on, living your life as as freezing, burning, fire hydrant. You are perpetually confused by this.

ALIGNMENT: Town

WIN CONDITION: You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated. Help out your faction by convincing them to lynch the mafia, thusly eliminating them from the game. Make sure that you yourself aren't killed by the mafia in the process. You won't know who the mafia is until they are lynched. Stay wary in case you lynch a townsperson.

ABILITIES:
+ Once a night, you may select a player who you believe targeted somebody during the night
+ I will inform you if they have or not.
+ If the player you selected did not target anybody during the night, you will have the option to freeze a player of your choice.
+ Whichever the result is from your choice, you will benefit. You will receive either knowledge (first instance) or power (second instance) every night.

+ Whenever you are targeted during the night by another player, the player who targeted you will be burned and you will receive 1 coin. (Passive ability; does not need to be activated) {Burning is purely ornamental and does not impact the game, but this was not revealed to the player. They still get a coin}
- You start the game with 0 coins.
+ Once you receive a coin, the shop will be opened up to you.

Last edited:

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
Anyone else want to play mafia? Because if something doesn't start filling up in like the next week I fully expect to be out of here for another 6 months or so.

I feel like back in the days of yore, signups used to happen while other games were still going on, so that the next game was more or less ready to start when the previous one finished. But y'all already know things ain't what they used to be. Anyhow I don't fathom how you organize this queue anymore, but someone please usher in the next game promptly ya feel me?

Or you're all keepin quiet til I piss off again, I can understand that.

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
According to the queue in the OP, next up are Coricus and KingofPhantoms, but I dunno if they're still interested in hosting/are ready (skipping over myself and Chu since our games aren't actually ready yet). After that is Shish who I think is more or less ready to go with his game?

As for my Ricochet game, I haven't forgotten about it, I just got caught up in other stuff I was working on. That and I'm looking at it and thinking it's probably somewhat complicated and really imbalanced (though it kind of goes along the lines of "if everything is broken, nothing is" so maybe not?). Maybe I can just throw it up anyway and see how many people yell at me. :p

BarDulL

Town Vampire
I’m down for ricochet.

Even if the game is busted, everyone has access to the same tools, so it’s hard to go wrong with it. I just recommend being careful with defensive options which can prolong games as we all know after my game lol.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I have two I could throw out in a day: a Fortnite Ricochet(because of course) or a Fate(because OF COURSE) one.
Even if the game is busted, everyone has access to the same tools, so it’s hard to go wrong with it
Haha yeah...

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Haha yeah...
It more or less falls in line with the thought process of "if everything's broken, then maybe everyone is balanced."

But there should be some kind of battle of attrition; if everyone just dies by the beginning of the second phase, then it's obviously silly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom