• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Madison WI Smashfests!

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
Do we still want to have Thursday Smashfests when Exarch moves away?
It seems like Sanchez wants to do Saturdays.

I talked to the reservation office and they said that a student org can get a room anytime for free, and if the Union is full we can get an appropriately sized classroom.

There's a meeting Monday from 4-5 in MSC/CFLI info lab on the 2nd floor of red gym that someone from the org has to go to (doesn't need to be me), if anyone wants to go to that for me so I can study for my exams I have Tuesday and Wednesday.

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
Also, I will not be hosting Smash Monday because of the aforementioned exams.

And Sanchez, no need to feel bad, I don't mind being the org founder.

I'd like to host a tournament sometime later in the semester (April 16 or 23 would be ideal), but I'm unfamiliar with the tournament software, so anyone who knows how to run it would be a great help.

Quaz

Smash Master
Im gonna miss you Exarch. It was really fun having you around for as long as you were here. Even if it wasn't a year. =(

Hopefully we can continue smashfests somehow. (even though I'm starting to lose my touch with smash.)

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
Thanks for the boost to the community, Exarch, even though I only went three times.

I'm going to try to continue holding smashfests on campus (in addition to the informal ones in my room Mon/Wed afternoon), what day do people want?

Thanks for all you have done Exarch. I have no idea what it was like before exarch, but I think he was the jump start to our little community. GL with your future engagement.

Now, looking to the future for madison...

Pick up TIO tournament organizer there Sam. It is pretty much the software that all smash tournaments use. The only function I have not been able to figure out with it is pools. I have no idea how pools work anyway. I have always wanted to help run or run my own tournament, so I will throw whatever support I can your way. I would really prefer if we have smashfests on Friday, Saturday or Sunday. Everyone's schedules are all over the place during the weekdays.
Hmm... How many smashers are there in Madison now? John, Vino, Sanchaz, Frootloop, Ash, Elbow, Tomo, Ace, and myself. With occasional appearances of Quaz, Matt, and Sink. With tournament status I bet we could expect more.

~Erik

Mundungu

Smash Lord
Dam, sucks you're leaving that early Exarch, I was hoping for one more fest. It was awesome having you here, I definitely prefer casual melee over tourney melee now lol.

I'll write up the teams tier list later this week. I'll prob send it to you to make a topic if you want. I think a mod with 3k posts would look more credible than someone from WI no one's ever heard of.

john!

Smash Hero
We'll miss you Exarch! I remember before you showed up, the only Madison people I would play regularly were Vino and Sanchaz, and sometimes Mundungu and Chansen. I don't think we ever played any super-serious friendlies though, so I'll be looking for some games if we ever meet at a national or something.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
I really enjoyed the WI smashers company, and y'all will be what I miss most when I move back.

Mike, you're crazy if you think you're losing your touch with smash. You're just having a bad week lol. Play project m for this week and you'll be glad to return to melee.

Sam, Fri/Sat is generally optimal for fests, I hosted on Thurs because I was busy fris and sats are tourney days.

Erik, how did you get your hands on an account with 2K posts. smh

Matt, no one's gonna take the teams tier list super serious anyways. Everyone'll disagree with the placement of one character (sheik) by one spot and therefore think the entire thing is trash. Also, holy crap I didn't know I was almost at 3K. But I'd enjoy making the topic, I could get some lulz in writing it.

John, you got it, *brofist*

The deal with moving is my father is driving up the van to be able to transport my futon (it's cheaper than renting stuff.) He's currently sick with a cold so driving such a distance could result in him being very tired while driving. So my mother isn't going to let him drive up unless he feels a little better. His plan is to leave tomorrow morning (assuming he is better,) which puts him here on Thurs afternoon. If he doesn't get better my/his plans change... so even now I'm not 100% sure what day I'll be leaving. (I promise I'm not trying to string y'all along; I wish I had more solid plans myself.) *sigh*

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
After smym I actually feel like getting better at this game, at least for now. It's going to be ridiculous.

Sam, I like thursdays best cuz I work every other friday and saturday, but do whatever works best for everyone.

Double Electric Destruction, you've probably watched at least half of all my matches and helped me get off the ground in this game. I'll mail you some snow.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
exarch: no you stay! who the hell is going to stop my bad habits? anyways, I'm glad that I got to show you the magic of up tilt, and I'm already working on sonics chaingrab, :), lucky you have to leave already.

Every madtown Smasher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

**** is going down, tournaments can now be run, me and ace will pick a day in april, and maybe another time in may (most likely not) but if we can get one successful in april, tournaments will be run on a monthly basis next school year, so spam this to other smashers in minnostoa and chicago, and florida.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Exarch you finally remembered me at SMYM! It was fun while it lasted though. Same thing what John said about big tourneys. Hope to see you again.

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
I'm thinking April 16 or 23 for the first tournament, and I'll be here over summer so I can host another then. What should we name the tourney?

And it seems like Thursday is still the best day for Smashfests (approx. 6PM-midnight). I know 4 more semi-casual players who will probably come if they are on campus, so we'll probably need more setups than just mine and Erik's.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
I'm thinking April 16 or 23 for the first tournament, and I'll be here over summer so I can host another then. What should we name the tourney?

And it seems like Thursday is still the best day for Smashfests (approx. 6PM-midnight). I know 4 more semi-casual players who will probably come if they are on campus, so we'll probably need more setups than just mine and Erik's.
dude, we can just make other smahers bring setups, and if they don't come, charge small venue fee, 3 dollars, plus they would just park at the side of the union?

first tournament should be called BUCKY SMASH!!!!'

plus me and frank have setups

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
I'm not going to charge a venue fee for weekly smashfests (which are now org meetings, holla), but between you, me, Frank, and Erik we should have plenty.

As far as tournament logistics, we can work it out tomorrow. I'll be open for smash from 2-literally whenever people want.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
I'm not going to charge a venue fee for weekly smashfests (which are now org meetings, holla), but between you, me, Frank, and Erik we should have plenty.

As far as tournament logistics, we can work it out tomorrow. I'll be open for smash from 2-literally whenever people want.
i mean for tournaments!!!! the venue fee is to remind people to bring setups! and yea weekly stuff, of course no fee. we'll talk more on wednesday

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
ryan he was talking about setups for the fest.
i'm in for smash tomorrow.
I vote April 16th because I have to work on the 23rd.

Name the tournament after somethign related to Madison. Bucky Smash, Madtown Smash, UMAD (University Mad and Dangerous), something along those lines.

So, you guys actually have a legit place for us to play at in the upcoming weeks? Or would it all be in the dorms?

I have a wii with cords (smash64 downloaded). A gamecube with cords. A melee disc and brawl disc. 3 gamecube controllers, and two memory cards and 2 SD cards. This spring break I can probably pick up my 2nd gamecube and melee disc, and N64 console to use for the remainder of the break. The only thing I lack are the TVs.

See you guys tomorrow. Your room is going to be packed one of these days Sam.

exarch, I can never settle on a single dayum name.

Mundungu

Smash Lord
I should be able to make quite a few of these fests, at least for the next month or so before I start throwing my life away again. Where do you guys host these things?

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
Wumbology, the study of wumbo, it's first grade. I like that name the best so far. If it becomes monthly we can call it Bucky Smash monthly or something.

I'll definitely charge a venue fee for the tournament April 16 (not 100% locked in date) so people bring setups. How many attendees would we have for a Madison tournament do you think? 25-35?

My room is only used for the 2-3 hour long afternoon sessions, we'll have a place on campus for Thursday nights, I'll figure out exactly where tomorrow. For the tournament a place near a parking lot would be ideal, so probably the Union or Carson's upstairs maybe? I don't know if you can rent the upstairs.

Also, we need to get people like Tomo, Ashes, and Elbow on this thread.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Ok so my father is not coming... which means i'm leaving on saturday...

So we can have one more fest at my place, if y'all still want to come.
Who's in tomorrow?

Oh yea I still have Ryan's AV cords...
I also have an extra purple and silver controller...
and I'm missing my black controller (not the one I bring to tourneys, but I had two of them.)

Tomotoya

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, sorry I'm never up in this thread, I'm always busy playing Gears of War 2 or with my girl lol...

I've got a wii and 3 GC controllers, but my tv is HD and therefore lags...

Can't wait for the tourney. :)

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
The Union reservation office closes at 5, but it looks like we don't need it tomorrow anyways. I'm going to set up our weekly reservation for Thursday nights starting after spring break.

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
I have work at 5:30 AM tomorrow, so I don't think I'll be able to make this smashfest since I want to go to bed by midnight.

IMPORTANT NEWS

I made a reservation for every Thursday after spring break for the rest of the semester for our smashfests; they'll get back to me on exactly what room and I'll pass it on.

As far as tournament hosting, for it to be in the Union we need a department to sponsor us, which is unrealistic, but for the Pyle Center (on the other side of the Red Gym) we only need a sponsor who works for the university to sign a contract for us. They can pass the liability to me, but we still need one. This is all pending on them allowing me to bring TV's into the venue, which I won't hear back until Monday.

Mundungu

Smash Lord
I was on campus playing meat boy all day. We might smash tonight, but likely a bunch of meat boy will be played.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
Sam, any info on what room thursday(s) will be in?
Also is there any concrete info about the tourney madison wanted to host? We should get a thread up or something so people show up...

sanchaz

Smash Lord
Sam and fruit loop, what the hell do we do with the parking issue? Is it possible for smashers to park at the side of memorial union? where is their closest parking spot? Can you park by liz waters?
plus how do we find sponsers to bring tv's in, I'll be by your place to clarify on these issues monday 2:30ish if thats okay.

Top Bottom