• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Madison WI Smashfests!

john!

Smash Hero
Project M is pretty neat. I still prefer Melee but PM is definitely more balanced lol. I still say that it's matchup oriented because none of us could consistently beat everybody else with any character.

Yamitsuki

Smash Cadet
Its balanced right now only because there is like a dozen characters. It will likely get more unbalanced as the other 30 charcters are added.

Also, if fruitloop is going to be among us you have to be...

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
Watch the first 40 seconds of this clip and try to identify this sonic's main strategy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evFnFhsbPPk
If you guessed "never follow up on anything and just reset to neutral and spam spindash" you are correct!

After looking around at some sonic stuff I have a better grasp on his side b and down b moves, just gotta get some playtime so I can figure out how I want to use them for pressure/follow up.
How is that hedgehog supposed to kill characters that don't get gimped? :c

Still prefer melee over P:M but P:M is looking very promising.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Project M is pretty neat. I still prefer Melee but PM is definitely more balanced lol. I still say that it's matchup oriented because none of us could consistently beat everybody else with any character.
Which, I think, is one of the definitions of "balance."
Watch the first 40 seconds of this clip and try to identify this sonic's main strategy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evFnFhsbPPk
How is that hedgehog supposed to kill characters that don't get gimped? :c
Both Snake and Sonic looked pretty bad. Seriously snake: upsmash, WD back downsmash, WD back again and throw grenades. Spindash through that. How is Snake supposed to kill characters that don't die off the top? Also I figured out another trap to use for people coming off the edge...

Got a PM from another two students at UW looking to attend a smashfest in the near future ^_^

Mundungu

Smash Lord
I'll be there tomorrow. I won't bring a setup this time. Someone stole my SD card at the super effective "high security" anime con. What a waste.

exarch

doot doot doot
Mmk so Matt, me, Mike, Frank, Ryan, Noah, (Brian), (Jason), (John) Up to nine people?
Ryan bring your AV cords, and Frank we'll plan on bringing the 3rd setup unless we hear definite no's from the questionable 3.

Erik and Sam are not coming this week.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
lol, who's brian? and mundungu, pick up the breadsticks if your stopping at the pizza plaze.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
OMFG! frank, you should start playing fox, this is your role model, sync you too, that right their was a fox main. so sexy.

Puffinator

Smash Ace
I don't want to know what Sanchez finds sexy.

Is anybody planning on going to the smashfest later than usual? Like much later? Like around 9? If so he/she should pick me up.

Mundungu

Smash Lord
Hey Exarch, I heard you're moving back to FL soon. Any idea when that's going to be? We need to run one more big Madison fest before you go!

I ordered another SD card, so I should have P:M by next week again.

Gibby

Smash Cadet
I'll be back in town this week and should be able to attend a fest if one's happening this thursday.

Mundungu

Smash Lord
We'll have to play some melee this weekend for a change :) Should be a good idea for SMYM "practice" too, plus I miss me some non-laggy fox / falcon / marth.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
I'm looking at exarch and mundungu for this question: the falcon sheik match up. yea, I've been watching top level falcons againsts top level sheik matches (m2k, silentspectre, hax, tope, etc) and it seems if that even though sheik has a potential 0 to death on falcon, is it possible for players of equal skill of both the sheik and falcon, that falcon can win the matchup, 50 50, or even 45 55.

Falcon has to do a lot, cough cough, A LOT of correct spacing, and seems to be his fault if he gets grabbed, I'm curious in what you guys think.

and lol, I'm up at 5:40am doing a paper, study break.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Sheik wins. Both characters systematically 0-death each other, but it is a lot easier for Sheik to set up her 0-death scenarios. 1 grab=death with her massive grab range. As soon as you get juggled by tilts or dash attack it is also your stock. On top of that, it's ******** easy to just camp him with needles taking away mobility. She also has edgeguarding/gimps. She can just throw needles while standing on the ground and if Falcon is trying to recover he will get hit since he can't sweet spot.

Falcon's moves trade at best with Sheiks, and the only favorable trades are knee and stomp, but stomp doesn't trade it just gets beat. You don't outspace Sheik, you just try to get in between tilts/aerials, and punish whiffed dash attack/grab. Tech chasing is extremely hard on reaction for regrabs due to her long/fast tech rolls.

When Falcon beats Sheik, it is more of the Sheik not playing gay enough, or being too predictable.

exarch

doot doot doot
I think like any matchup there's a certain amount of variability that comes naturally. Falcon sometimes randomly able to get 3 **** combos in one game, and suddenly sheik finds herself 3 stocked.

Sheik's combos are easier and more reliable, so the matchup goes to her, but it's definitely close. It's not a given that sheik wins.

Also I think I might be moving back to FL sometime next week.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
I got a 5 pm exam on thursday, so I'll have to miss depending on pickup time.
what, this means no zelda! yea I'm not sure if I can make thursday, I'm thinking abut kicking vino's sorry jigglypuff's but for a bit before smym instead of the fest

exarch

doot doot doot
This will probably be my last smashfest, so y'all need to get that student org going.

Frank how long is your exam till?

Erik is confirmed for this week, Matt too, otherwise that may be it.

Actually as long as your exam isn't till 10 pm we can just postpone pickup till later... since Erik is the only other one coming. But still, when can I expect you to be done?

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
I applied for org status yesterday, so I should hear back by next week. if it all works out perfectly, I should be able to reserve a room on campus every Thursday night.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
I applied for org status yesterday, so I should hear back by next week. if it all works out perfectly, I should be able to reserve a room on campus every Thursday night.
Org status attempt #3 :) I can bring my setup especially if it's at the union.

Exarch should be done 6:00-6:30

sanchaz

Smash Lord
wow, I feel pretty bad that I was pretty lazy about starting the org, well lightsoutace, let me know what I can do, recuit smashers, make flyers, set up tournaments, whatever you need, just let me know.

Can we set up a room at the union on saturday's? I ask people at the union and they weren't sure

Top Bottom