• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Madison WI Smashfests!

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
Cool, Moozle. You ABSOLUTELY should come to the Union Thursday nights for Smash Club. We have a Brawl setup and player(s?), too, since I think you play Brawl.

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
I don't know if he's best in Wisconsin, but he won the last tournament we had so I have to give it to him for now. To be fair, it's pretty much a toss-up between him, you, Frank, and Vino.

Yeah, there are a few of us. I play. Elbow and Knee played a bit of brawl, but not sure if they still care too. One other guy played, but I cannot remember his name. He used Ness in brawl, then started using a lot of different people in melee deciding who to play. I think he stuck with Marth most often. Its not DDF's roommate from last year.

Sam drive out to Milwaukee :)

And Frank I had a question. Do you know which option out of shine you are going to need to use or do you just make a guess or just react? Like when hitting shields, I never know if the shine will end up poking or shield drop happens allowing me to follow up, or go into a grab/aerial to keep the shield pressure up.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
Erik: with falco I would say in nearly all cases just stick with grab/aerial/bait OoS option to keep pressure. If the shine hits for whatever reason, you can wait for your whiffed grab/aerial/bait to end then you can still follow up the shine with whatever you want as long as you read their DI. Nobody really DI's shieldpoke shines much anyway.
doing the same thing with fox is sorta less effective, if the shine hits and their character falls down from the shine you generally get a techchase when they try to get up. If it doesn't knock their character down it's usually just a reset to neutral. Fox makes up for this with a really good grab game compared to falco so he doesn't have to shield pressure as much.

Sam: Come to Don't blink don't care tomorrow with mundungu.

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
I wish I could come tomorrow, but I have work. :/

And Erik, the guy you're thinking of is Tyler. Elbow and Knee are Brian and Noah's tags, right?

@Sam: I thought it was Tyler, but wasn't sure.
You are correct. Not sure if they still those tags still with Noah not showing up in ages.
Also, I don't' have any more issues with recording, but my choice of software doesn't make getting your commentary any easier to sort out.

k, thanks frank.

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
Our first official meeting this year is September 1st, but I'm going to host a fest at my house in the second half of August. I can't to wait to play Smash again!

Start of a new term and an entire year to get more people to join us. Should we do anything extra to get more people involved? Regularly scheduled tourneys and the Thursday nights are good. But there is probably more promoting like fliers or maybe the org event that happens once a semester.

I think we need more of all of the events. All falcon, doubles, low tier, etc. I thought it was all good. Okay, maybe not low tier, congo was a bad idea.

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
There are still going to be events every Thursday, have no fear. Events I want to do: singles, doubles, pro mode (no items Fox only Final Destination), middle tier only tournament (you must play a character in C, D, or E tiers [Doc to Young Link]), Falcon only, crew battle, iron man (which is the 5 character crew battle by yourself). Iron man will have to be single elimination or something, because they take a while.

I already signed up for the student org fair, AKA bored freshman walking around. If someone can come with me to that we can just play smash to attract new people. "*Sanchez noise* Video games!"

Additionally, someone needs to go to an orientation thing since apparently they changed it. Ryan went to it last year. Any volunteers?

I also have a room reserved every Thursday from September 1st to December 15th, all at Union South (air conditioning!) except September 1st and December 1st. Don't worry, I'll remind you. As far as parking goes for those with cars, you can park behind my house, which is 2.5 blocks away.

tl; dr: It's going to be a great year and I have pretty much everything taken care of!

Perfect, I just hope I have enough money to give to sanchaz, frank, vino, and john for all of these tournaments.
Public smashing to attract people lol

I remember that yosh. $1-5 x2 for only 2 hour drive is pretty good.

john!

Smash Hero
just wondering if you guys knew that megabus from madison to chicago is $1-5 each way.
this is pissing me off. i spent 3 years paying 50 bucks round trip for this.

@sam: if yl is legal in mid tier tourneys does that mean he's not legal in low tier tourneys? if so then whee free monies :awesome:

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
With the new tier list, no, I don't think Y, Link is legal for low tier tournies. Not that the Thursday events are for money anyways...

sanchaz

Smash Lord
this is pissing me off. i spent 3 years paying 50 bucks round trip for this.

@sam: if yl is legal in mid tier tourneys does that mean he's not legal in low tier tourneys? if so then whee free monies :awesome:
oooooooooooooooooooooo umad?

vintage

Smash Cadet
If anyone would like to play this Sunday (8/7) I am hosting a fest at my place (625 N Pleasant View Rd., Middleton) from 6pm-12am. PM me if you're interested.

Mundungu

Smash Lord
I'm gonna be hosting a fest tonight in case anyone in Madison doesn't know. We'll be going late, so it doesn't really matter when you show up.

Mundungu

Smash Lord
My address is 7206 Tempe Dr, Madison. I live about 10-15 min away from Epic, and pretty close to Middleton.

My # is 608-320-4794.

Just throwing this out there. Since there seemed to be some out of state interest for IMDB (Minnesota and Michigan) might anyone be willing to offer to let anyone oos to stay the night or something?

john!

Smash Hero
i might maybe possibly perhaps.

i say that because i haven't even visited my apartment yet and i don't know if it's big enough or whether they will have a place to sleep.

Top Bottom