• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mad World

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
No I heard what you have to do is stick a few poles in peoples heads, get them all together using money and then blow them up with an explosive barrel.

One guy said that there is a glitch where you can keep killing people with the dumbster and it will keep adding to your combo. I think I have gotten extreme before by using the explosive barrel.

SolidLegend

Smash Rookie
Way too overhyped. I've been following Nintendo Power on this game and it just doesn't deliver. Yeah, so its devs worked on Okami, which was an artistic masterpiece, but this game just doesn't deliver anything promising to me.

I'm not a fan of killing others in any and every way possible, and to say the least, it's utterly sad to see the video game world delving even deeper into this ultra-violence driven (how'd you like that 'd' alliteration) madness.
The reason why it is "overhyped", is becaue there is barley any other hardcore games, nor must-have games on the Wii. I've seen this on many must have list. It is probably on those list because the graphics style, the gore and the gameplay is meant to be fun.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
*sigh* I just saw the NA sales for Madworld's second week.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=22383

If this is accurate, then three things are true.

1. There should be very few M-rated games on the wii right now because there isn't a point in having them. Currently people do not buy the Wii for it's mature library.

2. Messing with the art style for the sake of being stylish is a bad idea, because often it is only liked (if at all) for the novelty, and it decreases the sales of the game by being inferior to the "normal" styles, which became normal by being the best styles to present any game in.

3. A game should last more than a weekend if it wants to see sales and not just rentals.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
The sales don't look that bad to me, every game can't sell 1 million copies in the first 2 weeks.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
The sales don't look that bad to me, every game can't sell 1 million copies in the first 2 weeks.
True, but Madworld was a game with pretty much no compitition whatsoever in it's field, and was almost the only triple A M rated title in over a year.

What worries me is a simple side-by-side comparison of Mad World to Mirror's Edge on either the PS3 or the Xbox 360.

http://vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?re...&reg3=All&game3=Mirror's+Edge+-+X360&weeks=10

This implies that Madworld, the only triple A title on the wii's mature library, is doing inferior to either version of Mirror's edge, a game often criticized for mediocre early sales. I do partially blame Madworld's art style for this, however, the game is simply not selling at the rate a triple-A title should.

I'll wait to pass judgement until the Conduit comes out though, the mature game-purchasing audience doesn't like beat-em-ups nearly as much as they like RPGs and FPSs. I do believe that the Conduit will sell well if it is the only wii game with online that has no friend-codes while supplying voicechat and the only infrared-based FPS online experience truely designed for the wii in a manner that compares to CoD's or Halo 3's online. This is mostly because I believe that such features would attract traditional Xbox 360 fans to the(ir) wii, not because the majority of wii players are into it.

To be completely honest though, Nintendo's T games are in some ways better than the other companys' M games partially because Nintendo kills never feel bloody, rather they are just their to have obstacles in your way for you to navigate through. More companies should strive for E; E is where the innocent fun is, and this is a good kind of fun to have.

Alzi

Smash Master
The Fact that the PAL version only can support 50hz makes me not want to buy this game anymore. Great work Nintendo Australia lol.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I think it's pretty safe to say that Mature titles are not popular on the Wii. Let's be realistic; it's mostly the casual gamers playing the Wii, and the majority of them are the type of people that aren't going to touch an M game with a ten foot pole.

Mad World's mediocre sales show one of two things pretty well;

A) The hardcore is that insignificant on the Wii.
B) Its general popularity on this site doesn't represent its popularity with most of the hardcore.

My personal guess is A, but I could be wrong.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I think it's pretty safe to say that Mature titles are not popular on the Wii. Let's be realistic; it's mostly the casual gamers playing the Wii, and the majority of them are the type of people that aren't going to touch an M game with a ten foot pole.

Mad World's mediocre sales show one of two things pretty well;

A) The hardcore is that insignificant on the Wii.
B) Its general popularity on this site doesn't represent its popularity with most of the hardcore.

My personal guess is A, but I could be wrong.
Do youself a favor - don't use the term "hardcore." It implies
a) an obession
b) a niche

Either way, a hardcore community is the one which will only die out as time passes on, and not increase in size or popularity.

That said, "hardcore" might be the most accurate term anyway, which is a pity, because they tend to be the best fans.

I don't blame the wii audience for not wanting to touch a M rated game with a ten foot pole, but I do blame them for supporting games with no plot or depth beyond it's surface. At least they support Nintendo's good minigame compilations rather than the bad ones.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, I find this ridiculous. While Sony and Microsoft can get away with having mature games for their respective consoles, Nintendo gets given the pointer finger when they try to do so on its console. The big N basically amounts to being a scapegoat here!

If you ask me, the moral guardians must not find the "realistic brown" aesthetics of several PS3 and XBox 360 games to even notice the offensive content. That, or they have nothing better to do than scold Nintendo whenever a mature game sells well. So much for having its "kiddy image" wiped off.

Man, life is bitter.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Art style, length, and M rating, over the top that was too hardcore for even the hardcore alll led to the downfall of this game. We shouldn't pull doom and gloom yet. Conduit, Cursed mountain, Resident Evil, No more heroes 2, Red steel 2, Monster Hunter 3, and Sin and Punishment 2 are all on the horizon. There are other games on the horizon. Also I think we may be over reacting about the whole M rated games going away because they don't sell

Sven of Capcom USA said that they don't view Madworld anywhere close to what the wii fans do. They aren't looking at the game as a judge of how M games do on the Wii. I guess all they care about is how well Umbrella chronicles and RE4 did.

I am going to have this game on display at a Halo tournament today in hopes of getting people interested in the game. Tell a friend, really this game needs good sales.

Also I am trying to work on a Leaderboard project for madworld so we can legnthen the replay value.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
No one's condemning mature titles on the Wii, nor does anyone believe that M rated games will ever completely go away from the Wii because they don't sell; on the contrary, the lack of a decent M-rated game was the motivation behind MadWorld and The Conduit.

Rather, there is no reason to make a M rated game for the wii at this time.

Most normal people I know, such as my parents, view the M rating as meaning "for immature people only." It implies a game that is violent only for the sake of being violent, and is too violent for just about everyone outside of the 13-35 age group. They figure "why make it M when you can make it T?" And everyone inside the M rated group buys the Xbox (and the PS3, to an extent) because it is the system that caters to them. Before you can have M rated games, you need T rated games, and a lot of them. The T rating isn't as niche than the M rating, which makes it deemed appropriate for a larger audience, and it is the gateway between E and M through which once normal fans become core, and core fans tend to be willing to play good T games. Somehow though, the T rating seems to have been forgotten in a strong duality between either "E" or "M".

Nobody skips from G to R in movies, so why would they do the same for video games?

Red Exodus

Smash Master
The age ratings don't matter to me at all now that I can buy any game of any rating [except AO, but nobody makes good AO games anyway] without any problems, it's basically just a way to say "you need to be *this* tall to get on this ride". Ratings are too rigid for judgments to be drawn solely based on them.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Dang Hippo, you are so hardcore. Like Jack hardcore. Man I envy you.

Interesting read Halloween

I am trying to get a leaderboard set up on Gamefaqs for this game. I guess they don't want it as bad as they say they do. I hope they stop making the, "This game would be so much better with an online leaderboard" topics.

Top Bottom