• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mad People play Link?

Airo

Smash Lord
Richmond, BritishColumbia, Canada (williams+railw
i dont play link, but my older brother does becaue he is a hugee zelda fan. he played almost every zelda game available and is playing twiligh princess right now.

so really, theres a good amount of people that play as link simply because they love link.
they would still play link even if hiss move sets are ugly as .....
but happily thats not the case =]

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
By your title, do you mean that you are angry people play link, or that you think people who play link are insane?

Link comes from one of Nintendo's biggest legacies, Zelda - and has a lot of sentimental value for most Nintendo players. As a character in the game, he has a great projectile game, the ability to be technically flashy (what with moonwalking), and a nice balance between power and range. He has his drawbacks, like the slowest jump (at 7 frames), but this certainly makes short-hopping with him easier. He has a good recovery, good edge guards, and can both combo and kill relatively well. He's a great all-around character, though certainly not the best like Fox, who he has a difficult time fighting. His grab can also be a weakness or a strength, being ranged but slow. These are some of the reasons that might attract a player to link, but many people simply keep playing link after starting with him because he's definitely one of the best in a beginners environment, much like sheik or samus.

So, in short, I would imagine people play or main link because:
• Enjoyment of Zelda franchise
• A player with both a sword and projectiles
• Good potential, but not overplayed

THE AVENGER

Smash Journeyman
i main link becaus im good whit him but i think most people main link becaus of his double hits most noobs ive seen like him becaus of that but not me;)

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
A lot of non-professional players main him for one reason- Up B. Most people on Smashboards that main him do so for his weight, projectiles, sword (Disjointed hitbox), among other reasons.

THE AVENGER

Smash Journeyman
A lot of non-professional players main him for one reason- Up B. Most people on Smashboards that main him do so for his weight, projectiles, sword (Disjointed hitbox), among other reasons.
that is very true most links ive seen do that like a noob by me thats all he dose

Metà

Smash Master
He has his drawbacks, like the slowest jump (at 7 frames), but this certainly makes short-hopping with him easier.
I don't really want to comment on anything in this thread, but you made a common mistake. Link's jump is not the slowest, and it is not 7 frames. His first aerial frame is on frame 7, which means he has a 6 frame jump, and also, Bowser's jump is 8 frames, so there you go. Also, Zelda's takes 6 frames too. I don't know why everyone makes this mistake.

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
He has his drawbacks, like the slowest jump (at 7 frames), but this certainly makes short-hopping with him easier.
No, as Meta said, bowser has the slowest, and If I'm not mistaken, Ganon and Zelda have the same jump rate.

You've got a point with the short hop thing, though. Changing from Link's jump to shorthopping with Kirby took me a while.

Damon180

Smash Ace
ya, link is the only reason i started playing smash(64 and melee) to begin with, so i've always stuck with him. getting twilight princess next weekend, so i might have to set smash aside till i beat the hell outa that game :).
but i've been playing trying to make my link tournament worthey for a few months. when i was maining sheik i got to about the same level in a month or so. ya just gota be hardcore to try to main him methinks.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
I don't really want to comment on anything in this thread, but you made a common mistake. Link's jump is not the slowest, and it is not 7 frames. His first aerial frame is on frame 7, which means he has a 6 frame jump, and also, Bowser's jump is 8 frames, so there you go. Also, Zelda's takes 6 frames too. I don't know why everyone makes this mistake.
Mew2King's Jump Speeds

Because most people give the number it takes until you are in the air, such as Mew2King did in that thread. You are saying the same thing I am, you only mentioned that Bowser had a 2-frame longer jump, something I neglected to mention because I can't think of any reason why that would have a bearing on someone playing Link or not.

Link-NY

Smash Ace
By your title, do you mean that you are angry people play link, or that you think people who play link are insane?
What he means by this is that "Alot of people play link" anyways ppl play Link cuz well... hes a cool character. ppl probably favor him most becasue of his franchise series. But the way i see it... ppl use him becasue "they wana defy the tier list by using alower tiered character thats also good at the same time"

Link-101

Smash Apprentice
I grew up on Zelda games, so obviously Link is more familiar to me than Mario is possibly. Link just looks so cool and his attacks are awesome, he is well balanced. ( a bit slow but that can be dealt with ) Link was my main on the 64 and Fox was my main on Melee up until yesterday, I'm turning Link back into my main because I miss him and his move sets were a tad different than in 64 and I didn't feel like messing with it again but He is so cool I just gotta use him!!

Joner

Smash Cadet
Really, I main him because he is well-balanced, and actually because he is hard to play. I love a challenge, and when I am able to control link greatly, I find myself taking friends' stocks like they were the candy bowl next to me =]

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
i Main link to have fun.. he is a fun charccter with lots of combos..

Link-101

Smash Apprentice
Really, I main him because he is well-balanced, and actually because he is hard to play. I love a challenge, and when I am able to control link greatly, I find myself taking friends' stocks like they were the candy bowl next to me =]
It's true he IS a tough character to use and that makes it even more worth while when you Pwn somebody.

TANORI

Smash Journeyman
My main is link because he is the more abstrac character in the hole game, if you are good with him you can be fast, slow, defensive or offensive, or even be all those at the same time.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
That is why someone like me would play Bowser...simply for the challenge and the satisfaction earned when you beat someone.

I think that angry people play Falco. He just has that fighting style that is so speratic and chaotic, I find that if my friend beats me and I get mad(for whatever reason), I switch to Falco and pwn him. Serious 3 stockage.

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
I play him because really. He's the only person I can play. I can't think that I'm playing as another character. I always kill myself as fox because I always want him to throw a boomerang when I'm near an edge...

Link226

Smash Ace
In the 64 i use to main Fox..then i switched to mario and then Ness. I never ever played with Link even though i did love his franchise. I just didnt want to. But when i played Melee i just fell in love with Y.Link...i just always played with him so he became my main...but then i dunno i sort of wanted to grow so i picked Link. Now hes my main and i wont ever regret it...cuz i love pawning people with him and im mad :mad: :laugh:

Legomaxx

Smash Journeyman
One of the greatest moments i get with Link is when i get nearly knocked off stage only to have my friends say in their heads (or out loud) "He's dead. Leave him".
Then I come back using the grapple with them saying "WTF?!"
Also I suppose his moves are great to me and his weight is something i am used to.

Lucid

Smash Cadet
well obviously hes some nintendo fans favorite, but he also has a variety of devasting long ranged attacks, he has a good recovery method and hes simple to play with.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
I started to play Link cuz I love the Zelda series, it's so amazing. Then I spent a while playing a bunch of different characters. But I went back to Link because I realized Link was my favorite to play. The reasons I'm still him now are because I'm good with him and my Link annoys my friends >.<

DrkLink

Smash Rookie
First.
I play with link, because I've played almost all of his games, im not a link fanboy with his poster in my room, but for me, link is a totally awesome character, and I enjoy playing him.
Second.
I can't get into a torunament because my location, but I play a lot smash, and I think I'm pretty good with link, I have been playing with link since smash brothers 64 release, thats the reason.
Third.
His moveset probably isn't the best, but i like playing with link, and the way he move is so **** cool

Top Bottom