• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

@M: Australian Tournament: Melbourne

kupo

Smash Lord
Mr. Crns, why is Yoshi's Island banned?
CRNSFUR

As in Crono's Fudged Up Rule.

"Any one who hovers over Dreamland 64 over .3 secs is disqualified" ~ Shaz.

He's just a **** about it. He'll forget it on the day. :p.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Kupo, that post made no sence. One level is banned because of another? Unless it was a joke at Shaz' expence in which case..."Ha Shaz, u 4 t3h 2ux04s"

SabreAnt

Smash Lord
Took me 20. Must be a slow walker lol.
Lol, with those stilts you walk around on? Serious?? I would've guessed more in the vicinity of 15-20, seconds. XD

It seems we have found a suitable candidate for the accomodation. I'm going to go check it out either on Thurs or Fri. Whichever is the cooler day. Let you know how it turns out.

Rensa, good to see you have initiative ^^ Welcome to our humble abode. Urr.. I mean SWF.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Illegal Stages:
(Subject to change)
Floats
Flat
Blue
IM
Fourside
DK64
Yoshi64
Temple
YoshiStory
Depths
MK1
YoshiIsland
-No stage may be chosen twice consecutively unless both combatants agree, or stage is a result of random)
Random stages (first round and optional fo loser)
FD
PStadium
(These will be used for first round...afterwads loser may select from non-banned stages, or use random.)
IMO, you need at least 3 random stages, the Yoshi level with the close boundaries allowed, and Termina disallowed. That's just me tho. >_>

Myst Walker

Smash Apprentice
Why isn't Kirby's Dreamland a random stage? I thought that stage was a given like pokemon stadium.

All Yoshi stages banned too? mmm...

SabreAnt

Smash Lord
I dont care if he bans them, but he's the Fox player who has to remember how much easier it is to KO a Peach player on a smaller roofed stage ^_~

Ok, now heres the good news: The accomodation has been thoroughly researched and now, a booking has been made. It is with the Hotel Bakpak (Mat should remember this one) and it is for the 11th to the 18th of February. Its Inner City, so there is access to stacks of things nearby, including the infamous n2c (gaming, LAN, library, cafe) you guys may have heard of before, Minotaur, Hobby Japan and a host of other goodies. You can look forward to a good time while we're here. Our temporary residence has a nice setup which includes lots of hangouts and an inhouse projector. Ask Mat for more details, since he has spent some time there. I've only seen it briefly when we visited him.

Attendees:
1. Jon
2. Josh
3. Mat
4. Mic
5. Ryan
6. Ian
7. David
8. Doug
*9. Ian's friend, whom I can't remember the name of

Ian, I need to talk to you, or at least hear from you regarding Adelaide's 4th member. I want to know if its deadset certain. I think I've already asked you this, but have since forgotten your answer. He has currently been booked for, but I need to know whether or not to cancel his place.

Anyhoo, we wont be very far from the tournament venue, and we should have a great time. There is only one small thing that any of you may find troublesome, and that is that while we are here, we are in a 12 person dorm, so please be respectful of the other 3 strangers and their sleeping schedules and so on. It's only 3 others, but we want to leave a good impression should something like this ever arise again. Also, we dont want to get mugged. ^^ I may have left something out, but I'll fill you in if I have. Oh yeah, its gonna be $133 per person for the stay. So if you dont have that kind of money, 1) You suck, 2) GET IT!

=D

cella_lina

Smash Cadet
just because you never die in temple doesnt mean it should be an illegal stage...how about making it the grand final stage...it will last long and would be an exciting match...at least can we try it just to see?

Cubed64

Grimer Elitist
Originally by Sabreant:
It is with the Hotel Bakpak (Mat should remember this one)
No way!! the same place huh ... wow. If i start to go all nostalgic on everyone, please forgive me .... that history trip kicked so much anus ....

Ask Mat for more details, since he has spent some time there. I've only seen it briefly when we visited him.
Well, when i stayed there .. i hadnt slept for 48 hours ... then the next day we had to leave before 10am .... so i cant remember it too well, but im sure it will all come back to me.

There is only one small thing that any of you may find troublesome, and that is that while we are here, we are in a 12 person dorm, so please be respectful of the other 3 strangers and their sleeping schedules and so on
poor poor fools. I pity them ......

Oh yeah, its gonna be $133 per person for the stay
*checks bank account* ........ thats affordable ...... but it looks like bread rolls for the week :p

Originally by cella_lina:
just because you never die in temple doesnt mean it should be an illegal stage...how about making it the grand final stage...it will last long and would be an exciting match...at least can we try it just to see?
cella .... do yourself a favour and delete that post before anyone else sees it .... oh wait .. i already quoted it .. too bad.

btw, that idea sucks. Temple = bad stage.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Ah kiss ma grits Mattatta, I like that idea. given it won't happen, maybe after the Final, we do a fun match there with the finalists.

There is only one small thing that any of you may find troublesome, and that is that while we are here, we are in a 12 person dorm, so please be respectful of the other 3 strangers and their sleeping schedules and so on
Once Shaz and Jon start talkig about Falcon. they'll decide to go elsewhere. At the very least, we can do money-matches with them. Heh heh.

*checks bank account* ........ thats affordable ...... but it looks like bread rolls for the week
I *might* be able to afford cheese to go with mine.:D Mmmm cheese....

Also, we dont want to get mugged.
Can we mug them?

EDIT: How could I forget this? HAPPY WINTER-EEN-MAS!:D

kupo

Smash Lord
*shakes head at Cella*

Noob. :p

Hey, good to see that accomadation has been worked out. I can probably drop by afterwork, just to see you guys. All nighters at n2c is a must!

Hmm, we'll have to all go out for dinner on Feb. 13th ^^. *puppy eyes*. Hehe :p. Cao, onegai! I want ramen! XD

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Hey, that actually sounds cool.

The Aussie Smash Folk must go out to dinner. That sounds ace.

And we must do other things besides spam Smash - random spontaneous crap - things like that, lol. I'm under the impression that all the visitors (including CJ) would want to make a holiday out of coming to Melbourne, rather than playing a straight week's worth of Smash. Well, I would die anyway.

n2c sounds fun. Invade all the TV's and make the Cube get noticed, lol. When will people learn...

Good on you Jon for finding a good place for the invaders to crash.

*Now, back to getting out of crappy form...*

Cubed64

Grimer Elitist
Originally by kupo:
Hmm, we'll have to all go out for dinner on Feb. 13th ^^.
The St. Kilda Festival is on the 13th of Feb ...... seeing as i want to do something other than play smash other video game related, i thought we could go to dinner then check that out .... plus The Cat Empire are playing there and i have never seen them live. And its free.

Originally by CAOTIC:
I'm under the impression that all the visitors (including CJ) would want to make a holiday out of coming to Melbourne, rather than playing a straight week's worth of Smash
Yeah, that sounds good. Even though ive already done all the touristy stuff, i did it while deprived of sleep, so i wouldnt mind doing it again. Plus, we might see another winner of big brother while trying to find the trainstation platform that emily is arriving at.

SabreAnt

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, I forgot we spotted that Reggie girl talking to some guy last time. ^^ Yeah, as for a holiday, I'll write up a list of good places to go and maybe we can visit some. Off the top of my head it should be beautiful weather for the Royal Botanical Gardens, that will be great, and Luna Park would be a worthwhile stop. (GO THE SHONKY ROLLERCOASTER!!) and yeah, some places like Melbourne Central and n2c. Hobby Japan even, so you can see where we buy our Naruto boxes. ^^

This will be cool. =D

Kaydash

Smash Apprentice
KD lurker mode - off

virgin have $300 return air fairs from townsville, there still room for me at the tourny?

i have a mate who can put me up for my stay, who lives near the city so im good for accom.

looking at flying in at around 6pm sunday, if you guys are doing anything sunday night i'd love to catch up, smash monday, and once again if theres something happening monday night i'd love to join in, and then probably flying out tuesday afternoon.

and just a side note about the money matches i propsed ages ago im still keen on the bowser ones, however id like to reconsider most other matches, due to character focus shifts. (gee that sounds fancy) the people i was going to vs i'd still love to, just changing character choices, on both sides of course.
but i guess all that will get sorted out on the day or around then.

2 and a half weeksish!

w00tage

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
One thing that I would LOVE to do with such a huge crowd. Something random like ew all put yellow gloves on our hands, go to the center of Melbourne, point at something and yell 'Yehs!' then walk away. You know...something wacky, wierd and fun.

Or just....eat...and watch something.....

SabreAnt

Smash Lord
Lol Mic, thats not a bad idea. We'll do plenty of good stuff, including a train trip out towards my place and meet up with my folks who'll have a BBQ for us. Then maybe we could go somewhere local to our homes, like Fountain Gate SC, so you guys can see where all the heats of the Superchallenge took place and what not. You know, all nostalgic like ^^ Its actually a nice Shopping Centre too, so maybe some purchases will be made. =]

Anyhow, I was wondering if you guys want to spend some time looking at the sites, (which I presume you would) and it occured to me that Melbourne has a very nice Zoo. I'm sure CJ would like to see it, but how about you guys? Do Perth and Adelaide have Zoo's? It might cost a bit, I dont actually know, buts its not far from the city, so its a definite possibility for us. I'll try to work out some kind of structure so its not all "Hey wanna go see some stuff?" "Nah... *mashes start button*" I'd hate for you guys to leave without taking back something special that isnt Smash related.

Cubed64

Grimer Elitist
Originally by Sabreant:
Anyhow, I was wondering if you guys want to spend some time looking at the sites, (which I presume you would)
Well, i did want to go on Rove live, so i looked up the main website ... and they are booked for the entire year of 2005 ... interesting....
So i suppose we will have to settle for the other touristy things.

and it occured to me that Melbourne has a very nice Zoo. I'm sure CJ would like to see it, but how about you guys? Do Perth and Adelaide have Zoo's? It might cost a bit, I dont actually know, buts its not far from the city, so its a definite possibility for us.
yeah, Perth and Adelaide have zoo's, perth's is a bit on the craptasticular side, but i suppose thats cos ive been there about 15 times at varying stages of my school life.
Luna park would be cool, i wanted to go there, but i traded time there for time with you guys ... but i made the right decision.

I'd hate for you guys to leave without taking back something special that isnt Smash related.
As long as we dont go to the Shrine of Rememberance, i am happy. I am so sick of that place .... i was about to punch my history teacher square in the jaw after all the Rememberance crap we did. UGH!!!.

Rensa

Smash Rookie
Originally posted by mic_128
One thing that I would LOVE to do with such a huge crowd. Something random like ew all put yellow gloves on our hands, go to the center of Melbourne, point at something and yell 'Yehs!' then walk away. You know...something wacky, wierd and fun.
I tried that once: a flash mob @ Fed Square where we all wore dish-washing gloves and hooted around for a few minutes. My best friend, the organiser, assured me that he had all these friends from Monash Uni coming and that there'd be at least fifty people doing it.

Four of us actually did it, and another six friends watched us make ***** of ourselves =_=

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Anyhow, I was wondering if you guys want to spend some time looking at the sites
Yup, anything's good by me. As long as there is at least one day of smash (i.e. the tourney day :p) I will be happy.

I was bored at work today, so I thought up a Falcon anthem. (I was reeeaaally bored, and remembered mic's smash anthem from a while back)

We're men!
Manly men!
We're men in spandex! YEHS!

We roam around looking for little bois!

We're men!
We're men in spaaaandex!
Midair dodge, pause! Down aerial, pause! That's right!

We maaaay look like panseys,
but watch what you say or else you'll get up+b'd.

We're men!
We're men in spandex!
(Tight spandex!)

We're always on guard for the little booois!
We're always on guard so ask for the men in spandex!!!!

OOooOOOooOOooOOooOO!!!
>_> Probably breaks some copyright laws, but... meh.

Less than 2 weeks! Wahay!

Josh, when's the next meet? Is tomorrow still on?

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I can't answer that until we've tested the theatre. It should be checked this week. In addition, university regulations state that we cannot affix any external appliance which directly replaces/modifies another.

So if the theatre's 2 VCR's cannot record 60HZ, stiff. We'd have to either go 50HZ (which I'm not fussed about - I actually play better and the projector will not hurt eyes), or rely solely on video camera recordings.

List of equipment already set in the theatre:
PC Computer (networked) P IV 1.7/512/40GB DVD 250mb zip Mac Computer (networked) G4 867/256/60/DVD
Projector - LCD Sony VPLX FX 50
Projector - LCD Sony VPLX FX 50
Document Camera elmo hv5500xg
Camera - Video Panasonic WV CS 854
Hearing Aid Loop (induction type) CR200LD
VCR: (PAL/NTSC) Sony SLV EZ727
VCR: (PAL/NTSC) Sony SLVEZ727
Standard Colour "Touch Panel" AMX AXT CA10
Control System AMX AMX NETLINX
Audio Cassette Player Tascam 202 MkIII
Lapel Microphone Shure UT 1493
Microphone - Hand held Shure Sm58

I've been talking to CATS (who has very welcomely jumped on the initiative bandwagon) about the @M setup. The more immediate issue which needs attending to is the following:
- At least 2 additional TV's with trestle tables for them to rest on. They will take the back wall space. Possibility that chairs will be needed to (for the TV's)
- 2 X 10m (approx) of RCA extension cabling and duct tape.
- 2+ Cubes needed.
- Remember to BYOC (controller)

There's only 14 days to go and there is still much to organise. So if anyone can help me out with these requests, it would be extremely appreciated. I know this will be a logistical mightmare, but if everyone puts in a small amount of effort, things can run smoothly.

As for Melbourne to-do-things-besides-*****-smash, beaches are fun. I'm up for a game of soccer or tennis against anyone.

Great to see things have turned around K'. Bowser me.

SabreAnt

Smash Lord
My VCR is good quality and does all kinds of stuff. It records no probs. Also, playing in 60hz simply isnt important. It wont make a sniff of difference in the end.

Whose cubes are already going to be used? I mean, I'd lend mine for the day, but only if 2 havent already been designated. About additional TV's, I can bring mine from home. Its a 51cm.

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
Mm, if you're looking for non-smash related things to do, just discovered that there's a DDR tournament that's going to be held in Galactic Circus at Crown on the 12th of Feb from 11am onwards...Not sure when the lot of you are comin in, but if anyone's around guess you could go check it out?

mmhmm :3 Excited *bounces*

kupo

Smash Lord
I'll bring a TV [old and can only play in 50Hz] and Cube as well as Freeloader and Smash [both PAL and NTSC]. TV will be provided if Shaz drives to the Venue. I don't like the idea of carrying a small TV around in the Train/Tram/City.

I could bring my VCR. Again, it can't record 60Hz. =/

2 WEEKS!

Quetzalcoatl

Smash Ace
thundermistress, do you have aim?
by the way, the tourney has gotta be in 60hz, perth are not used to 50hz slowness. We'll bring a 60hz recordable vcr if we need to.

8 days until CJ arrives in melbourne and 11 until we show up, I can't wait!

btw, when we arrive at the airport on the 11th, whats going to happen from then on?

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Everyone and their mother seems to use MSN in AU/Europe anyways. It's as if AIM was banned from these places or something. Anyway, MSN might be a better means of communication if you use it, TM. Have fun. ^^

Cubed64

Grimer Elitist
Originally by Quetzalcoatl:
by the way, the tourney has gotta be in 60hz, perth are not used to 50hz slowness. We'll bring a 60hz recordable vcr if we need to.
Yeah, we have been training in 60hz since this tourney was announced, and that was waaaaaaaaay back in september, and now we can actually notice the slowness and difference between 50 and 60 ... sorry.

Ill be more than happy to bring my uber perth VCR if your sub-standard melbourne ones cant make the grade.

btw, when we arrive at the airport on the 11th, whats going to happen from then on?
Josh, we need to be at the Virgin Blue Terminal at perth airport on the 11th of feb at least half an hour before the plane departs. The plane departs at 1220 (12:20pm) so we need to be there roughly 11:30ish, just to be on the safe side.
We come back to perth on the 18th of feb at 1450 (2:50pm), so arrange transport etc etc for then. These times are all Perth Standard time.

If you melbourne people dont know when you are picking us up, then check back a few pages, i posted the times a while back.

Originally by ThunderMistress:
Mm, if you're looking for non-smash related things to do, just discovered that there's a DDR tournament that's going to be held in Galactic Circus at Crown on the 12th of Feb from 11am onwards...Not sure when the lot of you are comin in, but if anyone's around guess you could go check it out?
Im up for that ... watching that is, i aint going to go in the tourney.

11 DAYS!! W000000000000TTTT

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Tiger pwns all.

Chinese New Year celebrations on Little Bourke Street will also be on the 12th and 13th.

Yay! The season of free money! I wish everyone uber luck in @M! (Now gimme money, lol).

I'm up for DDR, but I've seen how insane some of the players are, so I'm only going to spectate.

To those who are thinking of lugging VCR's - theres no chance they'll be hooked up to the 2 large screens. So I really don't see a point, unless you want to hook it up to the TV's.

Someone really ought to get to getting those RCA extension cables ><"

Quetzalcoatl

Smash Ace
Sorry my last post was a bit sloppy i mustve been tired, here was what i was supposed to say:

thundermistress, do you have aim?
I was actually supposed to ask whether you had MSN or not, but for some reason i said aim.

That was directed at what happens when we arrive at melbourne airport, but thanks for clearing up the information anyway Mat *writes info down*

cao, when melbourne came to perth we thought we would need more to do than just play smash all day, but in the end, its all we craved, it was kinda scary, I never got bored of the game at all when melbourne came to perth it was just too fun.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Who is going to pick up the Perthites?

If something crap happens (ie. nothing), do a Bobby and take the shuttle bus to Spencer Street.

lol Quez.

SabreAnt

Smash Lord
You're right you know Josh. Every match was a new exciting challenge. It stayed strong for the entire time. However, you'll be here 3 days more than we were there, so there is time to do other things too. I'd hate to let you all go without some kind of "fresh air"

Myst Walker

Smash Apprentice
Ill be more than happy to bring my uber perth VCR if your sub-standard melbourne ones cant make the grade
I say we take him up on that, since there'll be TV's off to the side that'll need VCR's, even if we can't touch the big projectors

And on a side random note, I've finally made a lazy effort to get my sig up.
So far, interesting reactions. To quote!

KATSUSHIRŌ says:
what
KATSUSHIRŌ says:
the
KATSUSHIRŌ says:

Ho hum =p.

CATS

Smash Journeyman
i wonder how many power points there are in the theatre thing where @M will be, cause cube + TV+ vcr = 3 power points.

and sam.. that ness is wrong in so many ways ><

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Originally posted by SabreAnt
I'd hate to let you all go without some kind of "fresh air"
What is that on? PS2?

Awsome sig Myst.

Cubed64

Grimer Elitist
Originally by CAOTIC:
If something crap happens (ie. nothing), do a Bobby and take the shuttle bus to Spencer Street.
will do, thanks for that.

Originally by CATS:
i wonder how many power points there are in the theatre thing where @M will be, cause cube + TV+ vcr = 3 power points.
We could always use tons of double adapters and powerboards. Depending on how many powerpoints are in the theater depends on how many we will need. I dont want to connect 4 powerboards up to one powerpoint, cause not only would we run the risk of blowing up the electrical circuits, we would be drawing serious wattage out of that powerpoint. The electricity bill would be through the roof. Lucky we aint paying for that =P.

10 DAYS!!!!!!! W00000000000TTTT

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
People have begun to steal our sigs!

This belongs to ender. *Sends hate/congrats mail*

kupo

Smash Lord
Someone really ought to get to getting those RCA extension cables ><"
Give me the place/details of where to get it, and yeah, I guess...i'll buy it? [or borrow if that's possible...>.>]

lol, bobby didn't take the shuttle bus to Spencer St. Some rich guys he was talking to payed for his taxi fare...lucky sunov a biatch.

^^.

Top Bottom