• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Luigi's Social Mansion

TriTails

Smash Lord
I no longer rely on 'kill setups'. I just kill raw with smashes or aerials.

Spamming smashes as Luigi feels like spamming tilts as 90% of the cast TBH.

I usually try to get them with a read and kill. As simple as that. Stuffs like HooHahNado often gets ME killed when people fall out and U-air me to the hell, and catching airdodges often results me missing them entirely (ERESPID) and it's a free punish.

I've been trying to punish people's reactions out of an attack instead of going for a blunt punish. It lets you get better options than dash grab and you're less likely to be spotdodged. I don't usually let people live to ridiculous percents, and even then, that's when my fresh U-throw come in.

Jab to Up-B is very risk:reward. Some characters can just attack you out of it or shield. Albeit, due to the timing of their attacks, you can usually perfect shield their counterattack and punish. I usually just go for a safer F-smash, but Up-B can sometimes work.

A tool I see underrated is D-smash. Back hit is our 2nd strongest smash after F-smash (Even stronger than U-smash sweetspot IIRC) and it's very safe. Walking (Another underrated tool) to D-smash covers nice amount of space and lets you move away from your opponent to be even safer.

B-air is strong, but the lag is real. It can get Luigi punished sometimes, but as long as you're in SH height and ACs it, you should be good.

Playing on 3DS' ceiling is ****ing annoying lol. Successful HooHahNados be like 'ALMOOOST' but then it sticks people 2 inches away from the blastzone and no longer work afterwards.

Mileo279

Smash Cadet
Luigi mains I have a question why have we not made top 8 at a major/national characters worse than us or same level have like has twice, mewtwo got one today, mega man ( mlg), toonlink. Why haven't we if these characters are capable then luigi surely is

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Luigi mains I have a question why have we not made top 8 at a major/national characters worse than us or same level have like has twice, mewtwo got one today, mega man ( mlg), toonlink. Why haven't we if these characters are capable then luigi surely is
Maybe it's because... Mewtwo has surpassed Luigi via buffs?

G. Stache

Smash Journeyman
Lack of high/top level Luigi's is a humongous boon to Luigi in general. And when the best Luigi main doesn't show up to all majors and can be rather inconsistent at times...well you can't really expect Luigi to have all the glory, can you. Not to mention that Mewtwo and (most likely) Toon Link are just better equipped for the current meta. Megaman is a very rare character who wasn't seen much because Pre Patch sheik was a hard counter to him. So the MU inexperience + the player just being great really adds up. Though I still do think that Luigi is a better character than him as of now.

I certainly don't think that Luigi's bad by any means (In my opinion, he's sitting around that 20th placement). It's just that he's suffering from a dying playerbase, a few MUs around the -2 zone (Mega Man and possibly Greninja and/or Mewtwo), and some weaknesses that can be exploited rather easily in a few MU's. Most notably range and mobility. It's fine, though. Solo Luigi's have been shown to be able to consistently place in top 32 or top 16 at big tournaments, and it's certainly not unheard of a Luigi to get into top 8. Luigi's kinda like R.O.B. right now: good results at most levels of play, but no huge 'breakout' result that makes people think twice about the character.

Last edited:

Mileo279

Smash Cadet
Well we're going to get there at some point but we need to happen quick, seeing character who are worse or just as good make me wish that could be luigi. And we need more luigi main making strides. I can't do it I'm good enough but others can and become a top player and put luigi on the map

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
There is a major reason Luigi lacks results at nationals, and that's his MU spread. Most characters have ways to camp him out, abuse his recovery, and stay safe from his lack of kill options at low percents.

Mileo279

Smash Cadet
There is a major reason Luigi lacks results at nationals, and that's his MU spread. Most characters have ways to camp him out, abuse his recovery, and stay safe from his lack of kill options at low percents.
But what about mega man and Ike do they have a better matchup spread belcause they both have got top 8

Last edited:

Mileo279

Smash Cadet
This might be a dumb question but do any of y'all use up throw as a combo starter because up throw does 2% more. I'd is it easily diable but why is dthrow better.( specifically mid percents)

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
It probably works better than down throw at very low percents, specifically on fast fallers.
But, up throw is moreso a juggle setup than anything.

Mileo279

Smash Cadet
So luigi mains can you give me some mash tips so I can recover and gimp with jumpless cyclone because as of now I can't , without that I feel like it makes him worse

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Well This place is dead again
Try to avoid double posting so much man. Someone will get to you eventually. Luigis metagame is stagnant right now. Someone is going to have to make some eaves again before we see more activity. I sadly can't give you much advice on mashing, but try getting strong triceps, check out YouTube there's a video on how ConCon does it.

Last edited:

TriTails

Smash Lord
Check out our discord group. It should be more noisy there than here.

This might be a dumb question but do any of y'all use up throw as a combo starter because up throw does 2% more. I'd is it easily diable but why is dthrow better.( specifically mid percents)
I like to up-throw floaties to get a full hop + two reverse U-airs + B-air. Not true, mind you. But it can be nice to have that around because floaties want to DI towards Luigi after a D-throw and DIng that way expose them more to this combo.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
How's it going Luigi mains? The DK boards are redoing our MU thread and the lean green machine is one of the chosen few for this week's discussion. We'd appreciate any feedback, insights, and opinions you guys have on the MU.

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
RIP hyped out Luigi. No more 'Hoohaa' rising cyclone for him.

But hey, at least he still destroys at combos. I still think he has the best down throw combos in smash 4, not counting :4gaw:.

I think I like that there aren't too many Luigi ' s running around, it makes him feel more like a hidden gem character he was always meant to be.

Last edited:

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
RIP hyped out Luigi. No more 'Hoohaa' rising cyclone for him.

But hey, at least he still destroys at combos. I still think he has the best down throw combos in smash 4, not counting :4gaw:.

I think I like that there aren't too many Luigi ' s running around, it makes him feel more like a hidden gem character he was always meant to be.
Luigi's pretty meh. He doesn't really have a safe approach, and he doesn't have a great way of killing. That's why I have to dual main Doc. SHFF aerials are ok but they are punishable, and Luigi doesn't get more than 40 percent off a grab at most. (usually 20) Combine this with his shield push and you start to realise Luigi isn't that good of a character. He loses to multiple characters across the board on the tier list, and concon is the only Luigi to consistently get good international results. (props to him BTW)

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Luigi's pretty meh. He doesn't really have a safe approach, and he doesn't have a great way of killing. That's why I have to dual main Doc. SHFF aerials are ok but they are punishable, and Luigi doesn't get more than 40 percent off a grab at most. (usually 20) Combine this with his shield push and you start to realise Luigi isn't that good of a character. He loses to multiple characters across the board on the tier list, and concon is the only Luigi to consistently get good international results. (props to him BTW)
Poke is a new, relevant Luigi also I've had my eye on. J miller' occasionally pulls in a result or two. And yeah...Luigi is actually still top 20 in tourney results atm so it could be a lot worse.

Mileo279

Smash Cadet
I will have to disagree. Luigi doesn't approach you approach luigi. Even when you do jab, fireball, and power shielding are all good ways to get it. Killing isn't that hard they over reach a little up smash, I kill most of the time before 130. If you play him enough she is push back isn't super bad you'll get use to so when you can punish you do a lot of damage. Luigi also can get kills by down b gimps ( I can't do) but that's a way of getting early kills. I've seen sheiks even get gimped by this. In my opinion he is top 20.

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
To each his own, I guess. He's no super power, but he has a few surprises. The MU puts him disadvantageous against :4bayonetta:,:4cloud:,:4mario:, and how could I forget:4mewtwo:. About a third of the roster is even with him, and the other third gets beat pretty badly by him. I can see why you might say he's a little meh. He's useful, but not impossible to use.

Last edited:

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
To each his own, I guess. He's no super power, but he has a few surprises. The MU puts him disadvantageous against :4bayonetta:,:4cloud:,:4mario:, and how could I forget:4mewtwo:. About a third of the roster is even with him, and the other third gets beat pretty badly by him. I can see why you might say he's a little meh. He's useful, but not impossible to use.
I'm moreso talking about the characters that can largely abuse his traction and slow air speed (Sheik or The large cast of campy/sword characters) and the 2 "unwinnable" matchups he has (Rosalina and Mega Man)

Last edited:

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
I was talking about the more common threats. Characters that are used widely, as opposed to the more specific counter picks.

G. Stache

Smash Journeyman
Wow, I haven't been here in a while. Umm, I was going to ask a question but first, in response to up above: Rosalina is not an "unwinnable MU" by any means. ConCon has been doing pretty decent at it, and has a pretty good record against Falln, iirc. Sheik range nerfs on needles and Fair also helped that MU a LOT. Not to mention trouble with killing, Luigi can now contest her more safely, especially when our frame data can contest with hers. Both MUs are still disadvantaged, don't get me wrong. But unwinnable? Nah. M2, Pac Man, Mega Man and Greninja are looking like our hardest MUs results-wise. And even then, 3 of those 4 characters are very unpopular picks to play. And the M2 (the most popular of the 4) MU seems like the easiest of said 4. Especially when you're not playing at high or top level play, where M2 mains are more careful to not make a mistake with their precious glass cannons.

Anyways, question time since I'm fairly interested: are there any reliable ways to deal with Mega Man's pellets besides SH Dair and Nair? I don't want to commit to SH aerials all the time, so I was wondering if Luigi had grounded hitbox that could help deal with pellet pressure (I've been thinking maybe Jab and/or f tilt, but I don't have a Mega Man to help me test this out).

Last edited:

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
Does anyone know a good tech that can improve Luigi ' s mobility?

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Does anyone know a good tech that can improve Luigi ' s mobility?
There's this one thing where you reverse crawl while sliding forward to reverse your momentum. Other than that, all you really have are b-reverses and pivots if you put in the time to do those for whatever reason (perfect pivots). You can b reverse cyclone and fireball.
If you smash input Luigi's green missile, it goes slightly further too. Cyclone is faster on ground than air.

On another note, a tech no Luigi really implements yet is RJCFJP (reverse jump cancel fire jump punch) which lets your reverse your sweetspot up special out of dash.

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
A wave bounced up b? Every time I try it the sweets pot lands behind Luigi.

Well, I guess I'll just keep practicing. I have problems b reversing on my 3ds. I've been meaning to get that GCN adapter for the wiiU, but I can never seem to get a good deal.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
A wave bounced up b? Every time I try it the sweets pot lands behind Luigi.

Well, I guess I'll just keep practicing. I have problems b reversing on my 3ds. I've been meaning to get that GCN adapter for the wiiU, but I can never seem to get a good deal.
The problem with up b is it has no reversed sweetspot, which is why you have to reverse jump cancel to do it. There is no such thing as a wavebounce up b because up b can only be turned around one way.

TombstoneHD

Smash Cadet
So I have a question: I've actually become interested in picking up Luigi recently, but I was wondering what he has as an advantage over Mario? At this point it's quite clear that Mario is the better character, in terms of results, but what does Luigi have that Mario doesn't? Does he win anything that Mario loses, etc?

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
So I have a question: I've actually become interested in picking up Luigi recently, but I was wondering what he has as an advantage over Mario? At this point it's quite clear that Mario is the better character, in terms of results, but what does Luigi have that Mario doesn't? Does he win anything that Mario loses, etc?
He does slightly better against Marth and Lucina, which I hear is a bad MU for Mario. I personally have an easy time with Yoshi, and Fox is probably another character he does better than mario against. Sonic is different in that the matchup is more focused on stuffing and less approaching Sonic. He does better against peach than Mario does because he gets rewarded more and they get pretty similar punishes in that matchup. Any character that likes to approach you is probably also going to be better for Luigi than Mario, because Luigi can stuff pretty much any approach pretty consitently (excluding someone like bowser and dk) Luigi also destroys ness while Mario goes even with him.
Those are some off the top of my head. For the most part though, their MU spread is very similar.

Combos4Dayz

Smash Rookie
NNID
Combos4Dayz
3DS FC
1392-8440-5699
I hear Luigi has trouble against campy or projectile spamming characters, but I find that Luigi's fireball is fast enough to... fight fire with fire, so to speak.

But there must be something I'm missing here.

Edit: Is there also some way dthrow to down B can end up being some kind of 50/50?

Last edited:

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
I hear Luigi has trouble against campy or projectile spamming characters, but I find that Luigi's fireball is fast enough to... fight fire with fire, so to speak.

But there must be something I'm missing here.

Edit: Is there also some way dthrow to down B can end up being some kind of 50/50?
Its a small window 50-50 to up b or down b. Not really worth going for TBH.

Against campy characters, you need to be more focused on stage control than getting in. You'll have your oppurtunity, you just increase the odds of it with stage control. Still annoying to play against though.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
https://youtu.be/bMxqCrDXzyA?t=454
Shoutouts to Luigi player for one of the first used applications of the RJCFJP! (Reverse jump cancel fire jump punch) He uses the tech to run away and cover his opponents landing. Really nice play, The link starts the video right before he gets it.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
https://youtu.be/bMxqCrDXzyA?t=454
Shoutouts to Luigi player for one of the first used applications of the RJCFJP! (Reverse jump cancel fire jump punch) He uses the tech to run away and cover his opponents landing. Really nice play, The link starts the video right before he gets it.
Really cool! This video does show though how Luigi has a problem consistently killing now though at those high %s. 200+ % on a Link is not ok.

Side note, anyone ever throw out missiles in neutral at all? It's risky but a nice attack from a distance instead of fireball, if you use it from about 3 Luigis away uncharged. It hits more often than you would think actually.

Another note, I encourage someone to make a discord , and then ACTIVELY distribute it. Dont make everyone request one again and keep them waiting if you're the one to make the topic. Only one topic is needed...and preferably one discord. Too many discords will just leave everyone scattered in different groups.

RequiemRedStar

Smash Cadet
There are a few times during a combo where I know I'm out of reach of another fair or other followup and I don't want to do cyclone so I do an immediate side b and it catches them as they land. Pretty funny, extra damage... doesn't amount to much else as I haven't gotten a misfire out of it yet.

BlueBandit

Smash Rookie
Who's generally considered to be the best luigi players nowadays? Back when I followed the scene more closely it was mostly boss and Mr.Concon, is this still the case?

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Who's generally considered to be the best luigi players nowadays? Back when I followed the scene more closely it was mostly boss and Mr.Concon, is this still the case?
Result wise its supposed to be con con.
His play has looked pretty sloppy lately though IMO. Sheik Luigi is 50-50, but con con consistently loses to K9's Bruce.

Last edited:

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys just consistently died to downthrow down b was that patched back in or was i doing something wrong? i played at least 8 games and had a super early death like 70 i died to it. The only thing i can think of is a turbo controller allowing him to mash much faster but other than that i was in disbelief.

Top Bottom