• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Luigi's Social Mansion

DJ Delta

Smash Journeyman
Yes that was me!
On that note, I just want to give a shoutout to all the Luigis at ktar.

Thunderstorm- We played a bit towards the very end. You were using Charizard and I played Dr. Mario. Very fun matches and was fun after most of the tourney was over.

James- Had to play you 2nd round. I enjoyed the ditto experience. Both matches were so close, but I played a little to scared towards the end of each and it cost me. Nice mix up on Town and City game 2 though! Also, congrats on beating Jtails and placing top 7. All I can say is try bouncing fireball against custom villager, it helps more than you would think.

Luigisama- Nice to see you again! And thanks for bringing some hype when I pulled of some team combos with Link! Your buddy Raptor took out my training partner Craftis , this time I smash 4, again. I really enjoy watching those two play.

I really enjoyed myself, and even though my performance was only so-so, I feel the drive to get much better at this game. I had a few rough performances the past few tournaments before so I was getting pretty discouraged, but all the good players and good competition from Saturday just made enjoy the game, regardless of the result.

Oh and I'm on the top 10 on New England PR. I just need to work on fighting Captain Falcon and Rosalina (especially Rosalina). Oh and of course Sonic.

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
Hey Luigi players! We from the Ryu boards are making a doubles thread. The purpose of the thread is to find the best partner for Ryu. I'm going to invite as many people I can at once and get discussions going on all at once. We invite you to our dojo and hope you could help us discuss Luigi and Ryu in doubles. Thank you in advance!

TriTails

Smash Lord
@ mrconcon mrconcon Congrants on getting 25th at EVO 2015 by only going Luigi!

TBH, I didn't have much hope for Luigi in EVO, because the whole 'Super Camp Bros.' and 'Super Windbox Bros.'. Luigi doesn't get much from customs except for like Quick Missile or Iceball(?), maybe Burial Header. But it's still nice to see you pull through!

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
@ mrconcon mrconcon Congrants on getting 25th at EVO 2015 by only going Luigi!

TBH, I didn't have much hope for Luigi in EVO, because the whole 'Super Camp Bros.' and 'Super Windbox Bros.'. Luigi doesn't get much from customs except for like Quick Missile or Iceball(?), maybe Burial Header. But it's still nice to see you pull through!
I'm not a regular here on the Luigi boards but I'm still practicing with Luigi to be my secondary.

Anyway, yeah, congrats @ mrconcon mrconcon !

Were there any other strong Luigi players at EVO? I'm not too familiar on who the well-known Luigi players are, other than J.Miller and Boss. Has Boss played at any big tournaments? Forgive my ignorance!

Oh hey, I just realized there's this thread of "notable players," I'll check it out.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
I went to Evo. Got 3rd in my pool losing game 3 to a Sonic in Winners Finals. Then lost to Custom Villager game 3 in Losers finals (he played Falcon and got destroyed game 2). Did better than expected but kinda salty I had to lose to a custom Villager. So close to making it to quarterfinals. Next time!

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I'm going to be competing in "Low Tier City 2" next weekend. Zero, Ally, and M2K are all going :O Wish me luck!
Low tier city? Is that just a name and you can use anyone or just low tiers? Cause I don't think they would let you use Luigi if that's the case...i'm confused. Anyways big names there, but good luck!

mrconcon

Smash Cadet
Thanks guys, I would've placed higher, maybe top 8 if I didn't SD game 1. I used the custom LONG side b and missfired in the center of smashville at 0% in the first 5 seconds of the match and instantly died. Rip unlucky 1/10 chance for that to happen. ty sakurai </3

Last edited:

TriTails

Smash Lord
Time to beg for 'nerfs' to Quick Missile's fully charged/misfire distance. Both cover the entire FD in a single shot. Pika's SB is alright because it has no chance to misfiring, but Luigi's? At least tone down the misfire so it doesn't SD us like in Melee.

Better yet, INCREASE THE FREAKING SPEED ON GREEN/FLOATING MISSILE OMG!

BTW, what SD was it Mr. CC? Was it against False? And another BTW, did you really got 2-0'd by him?

Still an impressive feat though. You've beaten near 2k people and placed 25th in a giant tourney. That's awesome!

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Thanks guys, I would've placed higher, maybe top 8 if I didn't SD game 1. I used the custom LONG side b and missfired in the center of smashville at 0% in the first 5 seconds of the match and instantly died. Rip unlucky 1/10 chance for that to happen. ty sakurai </3
This is why I don't use customs.
:awesome:

mrconcon

Smash Cadet
Time to beg for 'nerfs' to Quick Missile's fully charged/misfire distance. Both cover the entire FD in a single shot. Pika's SB is alright because it has no chance to misfiring, but Luigi's? At least tone down the misfire so it doesn't SD us like in Melee.

Better yet, INCREASE THE FREAKING SPEED ON GREEN/FLOATING MISSILE OMG!

BTW, what SD was it Mr. CC? Was it against False? And another BTW, did you really got 2-0'd by him?

Still an impressive feat though. You've beaten near 2k people and placed 25th in a giant tourney. That's awesome!
Yes I SD'd game 1 when I had a huge percent lead vs False. Then Game 2 was both last stock over 100% each, whoever grabbed won. It was Luigi vs Sheik both games.

The SD was in top 32 bracket against a Hammer Sonic

Pyr

Smash Lord
If the next update doesn't change Luigi, I'm going to begin work on a massive guide for him in my free time. The format is below. Anyone have any personal experience-level tips they want added to any section, or anything I should cover that isn't in this? (copy-pasted from word, so the format is a little weird)

Intro
· Pros
· Cons
· Why you should Luigi

Moveset Analysis
· Normals
o Jab 1+2
o Jab 3
o F-Tilt
o D-Tilt
o U-Tilt

· Smashes
o FSmash
o USmash
o DSmash

· Aerials
o Nair
o Fair
o Dair
o Bair
o Uair

· Specials
o B – Standard Fireball
o B – Ice Ball
o B – Bouncing Fireball
o Side-B – Green Missile
o Side-B – Floating Missile
o Side-B – Quick Missile
o Up-B – Super Jump Punch
o Up-B – Fiery Jump Punch
o Up-B – Burial Header
o Down-B – Luigi Cyclone
o Down-B – Mach Cyclone
o Down-B – Clothesline Cyclone

· Other
o Grab
o Dash Grab
o Pivot Grab
o Final Smash
o Down Taunt

Getting In
· Basics
o What to watch for
o How to get in
o Explanation for setups

· Getting the Grab
o Getting the first one
o Keeping the grabs coming

Combos
· Basic Combos
o Throw Combos, explanation
§ Simple Throw Combos
· Throw Combos 0-40%
· Throw Combos 40-90%
· Throw Combos 90-220%

§ Advanced Throw Combos
· Throw Combos 0-40%
· Throw Combos 40-90%
· Throw Combos 90-220%

· Off of normal
o D-Tilt
o U-Tilt
o Jab
o Nair
o Bair
o Uair

· Jab Reset setups
o Explanation
§ Off of Grabs
§ Off of Aerials

Gimping
· How to Tornado
· How to Spike
· Option Coverage

How to beat architypes and playstyles
· Close-Range fighters
o Zoning heavy
o Aggro Heavy
o Defense Heavy

· Sword characters
o Zoning heavy
o Aggro Heavy
o Defense Heavy

· Projectile-heavy characters
o Zoning heavy
o Aggro Heavy
o Defense Heavy

Character Specific Things
#added in order, including grab combos/regrab combos/specific tips+tricks

TriTails

Smash Lord
If the next update doesn't change Luigi, I'm going to begin work on a massive guide for him in my free time. The format is below. Anyone have any personal experience-level tips they want added to any section, or anything I should cover that isn't in this? (copy-pasted from word, so the format is a little weird)

Intro
· Pros
· Cons
· Why you should Luigi

Moveset Analysis
· Normals
o Jab 1+2
o Jab 3
o F-Tilt
o D-Tilt
o U-Tilt

· Smashes
o FSmash
o USmash
o DSmash

· Aerials
o Nair
o Fair
o Dair
o Bair
o Uair

· Specials
o B – Standard Fireball
o B – Ice Ball
o B – Bouncing Fireball
o Side-B – Green Missile
o Side-B – Quick Missile
o Up-B – Burial Header
o Down-B – Luigi Cyclone
o Down-B – Mach Cyclone

· Other
o Grab
o Dash Grab
o Pivot Grab
o Final Smash
o Down Taunt

Getting In
· Basics
o What to watch for
o How to get in
o Explanation for setups

· Getting the Grab
o Getting the first one

Combos
· Basic Combos
§ Simple Throw Combos
· Throw Combos 0-40%
· Throw Combos 40-90%
· Throw Combos 90-220%

§ Advanced Throw Combos
· Throw Combos 0-40%
· Throw Combos 40-90%
· Throw Combos 90-220%

· Off of normal
o D-Tilt
o U-Tilt
o Jab
o Nair
o Bair
o Uair

· Jab Reset setups
o Explanation
§ Off of Grabs
§ Off of Aerials

Gimping
· How to Tornado
· How to Spike
· Option Coverage

· Close-Range fighters
o Zoning heavy
o Aggro Heavy
o Defense Heavy

· Sword characters
o Zoning heavy
o Aggro Heavy
o Defense Heavy

o Zoning heavy
o Aggro Heavy
o Defense Heavy

Looks good, but maybe you can also add in 'When you can't get the grab...', simply because competent players are not easily grab-able. I have fought a MK once, he rarely let me grab, and I had to rely on bare blow-and-blow due on him constantly substituting rolls with DC and being in the air a lot. Still won though :awesome:. Managed to keep up with him with Doc and defeat him with Luigi. It... was quite brutal.

You basically want to out-fight them with SH aerials and U-smash. What I usually do is to constantly shorthop, throw an aerial, fast-fall, repeat. Never miss an U-smash opportunity if they are close to you while you yourself are grounded. Cyclone is a decent option, but whiff and get a punish. The most reliable aerials here are generally F-air, U-air, and B-air. However, the last option is the most laggy. It's not hard to do, but only do it if you are positive it'll land or you won't get punished for whiffing it. You use the ground as your movements, and your jumps for your vertical reaches. Luigi's aerials provide decent coverage, also.

Remember, as unbelieveable as it may sounds, NO character can outspeed you in the air while you are on the ground. Luigi's walk is faster than roughly half of the cast, and your dashing speed is slower than no one's airspeed. However, air friction, as well as jumps, falling speed, and anti-ground tools also determine how well your opponent can run away from them. Make good reads and punish!

Pyr

Smash Lord

Intro
· Pros
· Cons
· Why you should Luigi

Moveset Analysis
· Normals
o Jab 1+2
o Jab 3
o F-Tilt
o D-Tilt
o U-Tilt

· Smashes
o FSmash
o USmash
o DSmash

· Aerials
o Nair
o Fair
o Dair
o Bair
o Uair

· Specials
o B – Standard Fireball
o B – Ice Ball
o B – Bouncing Fireball
o Side-B – Green Missile
o Side-B – Quick Missile
o Up-B – Burial Header
o Down-B – Luigi Cyclone
o Down-B – Mach Cyclone

· Other
o Grab
o Dash Grab
o Pivot Grab
o Final Smash
o Down Taunt

Getting In
· Basics
o What to watch for
o How to get in
o Explanation for setups

· Getting the Grab
o Getting the first one

Combos
· Basic Combos
§ Simple Throw Combos
· Throw Combos 0-40%
· Throw Combos 40-90%
· Throw Combos 90-220%

§ Advanced Throw Combos
· Throw Combos 0-40%
· Throw Combos 40-90%
· Throw Combos 90-220%

· Off of normal
o D-Tilt
o U-Tilt
o Jab
o Nair
o Bair
o Uair

· Jab Reset setups
o Explanation
§ Off of Grabs
§ Off of Aerials

Gimping
· How to Tornado
· How to Spike
· Option Coverage

· Close-Range fighters
o Zoning heavy
o Aggro Heavy
o Defense Heavy

· Sword characters
o Zoning heavy
o Aggro Heavy
o Defense Heavy

o Zoning heavy
o Aggro Heavy
o Defense Heavy

Yep... Looks like I'm putting this on hold for a bit, since Luigi apparently was changed.

Edit: What I had from today's work, raw.

A1 - Intro

· Pros

· Cons

· Why you should Luigi

B1 - Moveset Analysis

· Normals

o Jab 1+2

o Jab 3

o F-Tilt

o D-Tilt

o U-Tilt

o Dash Attack

· Smashes

o FSmash

o USmash

o DSmash

· Aerials

o Nair

o Fair

o Dair

o Bair

o Uair

· Specials

o B – Standard Fireball

o B – Ice Ball

o B – Bouncing Fireball

o Side-B – Green Missile

o Side-B – Quick Missile

o Up-B – Burial Header

o Down-B – Luigi Cyclone

o Down-B – Mach Cyclone

· Other

o Grab

o Dash Grab

o Pivot Grab

o Final Smash

o Down Taunt

o Air Dodge

o Side Dodge

o Rolls

· Movement

Getting In

· Basics

o What to watch for

o How to get in

o Explanation for setups

· Getting the Grab

o Getting the first one

· But what if you can’t get the grab?

Combos

· Basic Combos

§ Simple Throw Combos

· Throw Combos 0-40%

· Throw Combos 40-90%

· Throw Combos 90-220%

§ Advanced Throw Combos

· Throw Combos 0-40%

· Throw Combos 40-90%

· Throw Combos 90-220%

· Off of normal

o D-Tilt

o U-Tilt

o Jab

o Nair

o Bair

o Uair

o Fair

o Fireball

· Jab Reset setups

o Explanation

§ Off of Grabs

§ Off of Aerials

Gimping

· How to Tornado

· How to Spike

· Option Coverage

· Close-Range fighters

o Zoning heavy

o Rushdown Heavy

o Defense Heavy

· Sword characters

o Zoning heavy

o Rushdown Heavy

o Defense Heavy

o Zoning heavy

o Rushdown Heavy

o Defense Heavy

#added in order, including grab combos

A1 - Intro:

Welcome to the Luigi guide! The goal of this guide is to give you a strong starting point (if you’re newer to Luigi), or to teach you a lot about the more intricate things that exist within Luigi as a Smash 4 character.

A2 – Pros, Cons, neutrals, and why Luigi?

Pros:

· Extremely potent grab game.

· Very good advantage state

· Frame 2 Jab

· Frame 6 grab

· Long range, frame 8 dash grab

· Some of the best overall frame data in the game

· Extremely high kill power for his weight class

· Strong gimping ability

Cons:

· Generally short range

· Very poor air speed

· Predictable, punishable recovery

· Poor disadvantage state

· Has limited OOS options

· Has a harder than normal time breaking zoning

Neutrals:

· Very slow fall and fast fall leads to the ability to do multiple aerials per short hop, but also makes it harder to land

· The worst traction rating in the game makes a lot of normally unsafe options safe on Luigi’s shield, but it also makes some follow-ups hard, or impossible, on Luigi. It also allows Luigi to use his kit in some unique ways.

So, Why Luigi?

Luigi is a very unique character that is extremely dominate when he gets in, racking up damage extremely quickly when he does. He then has traps to ensure that the damage keeps going up for his opponent. Additionally, his unique combo of traction, fall speed, frame data, and attack properties make playing him unlike anyone else in the game. He has either even, or advantageous, matchups against a lot of the cast as well.

Now, to begin, let’s look at his moveset.

B1 – Moveset Analysis

Normals

Jab 1+2 (3%, 2%)

Active Frames/Hitboxes:

2-3, transition to Jab 2 at frame 6, then 3-4 for Jab 2

In game Look:

Luigi gives them the good ‘ol 1-2.

Pros:

Comes out on frame 2

Very safe

Jab-1 beats some projectiles

Leads to a 50/50 on hit or non-power shield in some matchups

Cons

IASA isn’t the best, meaning that fast options can punish Jab 1/Jab 2 if you don’t allow them to naturally transition through the jab combo.

Applications

It can lead into Jab 3, which will be analyzed below. It is also a fast button that beats a lot simply because of its speed. Another common use would be as a 50/50 setup on hit or shield. Because of its IASA properties, super-fast ground options, such as frame 1-4 OOS options, frame 2-4 jabs/tilts/specials, or power shields will beat this setup. That said, the following are possible options for Jab 1 and Jab 2 on shield or hit:

· Dash Grab (frame 8): can cover an immediate roll backwards and beats shields, but is beaten by an attack or a roll into Luigi

· Standing Grab (frame 6): beats shields and recovers before a spot-dodge ends, but is beaten by an attack or a roll away

· D-Tilt (frame 5): it beats a lot of attacking options and pops people up if it hits, leading to aerials or a grab, but loses to shield and jumping

· U-Tilt (frame 5 if Luigi reverses directions, else frame 10): Like D-Tilt, it beats a lot of attacking options and loses to shield, but it beats a jump. It only leads to a grab at low percent’s, but it always leads to one of Luigi’s BnB combos (see combos, U-Tilt, for more info)

· Jab 1 or 2 (frame 2 or 3): it beats fast attacks and jumps due to its speed, along with resetting the 50/50 between grab and attack. Can be a good mixup for foes with fast options on the ground or OOS

· D-Smash (frame 6): Its Luigi’s fastest smash option, as the first hit (the one in front of him) comes out at the same time as his standing grab. Trades or beats most attacks, but is very punishable on block.

· Up-B (frame 8, moveset 1 and 2 only): Extremely high risk, but extremely high reward. Jab 1 and 2 landing means that you’re in range for the Up-B, but a shield means you’re going to eat a hard punish. However, if your opponent’s shield is under 25% health, Super Jump punch will break it. The same is true for Fiery Jump Punch, save for the shield needing to be under 18% health.

Overall Rating:

:luigi64: :luigimelee: :luigi2: :4luigi: :GCU: :GCB:

5 out of 5! Jab is extremely useful as a footsies tool and can lead to a lot.

Jab 3 (5%)

Active Frames/Hitboxes:

Frame 6-7 after frame 7 of Jab 2

In game Look:

The manly version of Peach’s Bair: a buttshot

Pros:

Good mixup for the Jab 1 and Jab 2 50/50, because…

Causes a hard fall down early, which can lead to a jab reset

Good get-off-me tool, as it gets an opponent out of your face, but not far enough away to require a lot of effort to get in again

Deceptive range because of how far Luigi lunges forward

Cons:

Matchup-specifically, there are better options

Doing it on someone’s shield is a free punish for them

Easy to tech

Applications:

Jab 3 is useful because it’s one of the earliest moves that causes a hard knockdown. Additionally, it does 5% on its own and doesn’t send people very far away. A decent ending hit to a basic jab combo if you don’t want to flip a coin.

Overall Rating:

:luigi64: :luigimelee: :luigi2:

3 out of 5: Not the worst thing in the world, but you will likely have better options.

F-Tilt (8%)

Active Frames/Hitboxes:

Frame 5-7

In game Look:

Luigi does a side kick at 1 of 3 different angles.

Pros:

Fast startup

Can use the same basic inputs as a pivot grab to use it while retreating, allowing it to cover Luigi

Can be used to cover some of the opponent’s options on the ledge

Allows an extra hit in a combo, where no other options exist, due to the range

Semi-decent for footsies

Cons:

Slow wind-down

Easy to punish on wiff

Doesn’t lead to anything by itself

Applications:

F-Tilt can be used when retreating to cover you’re retreat, or to cover your opponent’s tech options. Also, it’s decent in footsies because of its range and the ability to angle it (though the angle doesn’t change how the opponent is launched). In combos, it allows you to finish a combo with something when no other options might exist, or when there is a risk in other options. For example, on lighter, floatier characters, D-Throw > Fair > Uair > F-Tilt works, since a regrab is likely not possible. More on these types of combos later.

Overall Rating:

:luigi64: :luigimelee: :luigi2: :4luigi:

4 out of 5: Decent range, option coverage on retreating, and an extra 8% on some combos are definitely good. You’ll use it often if you use it right.

D-Tilt (8%)

Active Frames/Hitboxes:

Frame 5 - 8

In game Look:

Luigi kicks slightly at the ground, moving his body to the side slightly to do so.

Pros:

Amazing launch angle: 74 degrees. Base KB is low, so it leads into a lot on hit

Chance to trip

Since it lasts for a while, it can cover the 1 frame of vulnerability when grabbing the ledge rather well. Combined with the launch angle, it makes on-stage gimps good.

Cons:

Exceptionally short range

Unsafe on shield

Rather high cooldown, making a trip from the move harder to follow up on

Applications:

D-Tilt is an amazing move when it hits. The launch angle leads into Fair, RAR Bair, grab, Uair, USmash… Basically anything that comes out fast, which Luigi has in spades. Despite that it leads into a lot for a long time, it is extremely short ranged. Because of that, it can’t be used without setup or unless it’s free to use.

Overall Rating:

:luigi64: :luigimelee:

2 out of 5: It’s amazing when it hits, but getting the hit outside a 50:50, or if it wiffs/is shielded? It has its uses, but should be used sparingly.

U-Tilt (6%)

Active Frames/Hitboxes:

Frames 5-10

In game Look:

Luigi swipes the air. His fist makes it look kind of feeble.

Pros:

Leads into several moves and is part of Luigi’s major BnB combos

Leads into itself

Can perfect pivot into it to extend combos or to catch approaching enemies

Cons:

Lowest damage tilt Luigi has

Poor horizontal hitbox

The part of the hitbox that hits in front of Luigi is near the end of the active frames

Can be beat out in a combo if it’s not tight enough

Applications:

Utilt is an incredible move in combos. Since it leads into so much pre-kill percent, you’ll find that it’s getting used quite a bit. It is part of the major BnB combos Luigi has, is part of his mixups, and can kill at (very) late percents. It also covers characters with poor options directly below them, and can be used while sliding. It’s biggest shortcoming, however, is the overall range of the move and the fact that a lot of things outright beat it if you use it to challenge.

Overall Rating:

:luigi64: :luigimelee: :luigi2: :4luigi:

4 out of 5: You’ll be using this a lot, but you’ll likely be in advantage when you do it.

Dash Attack (1%, 1%, 1%, 1%, 1%, 1%, 2% [8% total])

Active Frames/Hitboxes:

Frames 4, 10, 16, 22, 29, 37, 48-49.

In game Look:

Luigi dashes at his opponent, flailing about.

Pros:

Frame 4 startup and (effectively) lasts 49 frames, making it extremely effecting at catching spot dodges

Covers a lot of distance

Shield pokes rather well

Final hit can trip

Cons:

Wiffing it means you’re going to take a huge punish most of the time

Using it into shield means you’re taking a charged smash or getting grabbed

Does very little damage for not leading into anything, so there are almost always better options

Applications:

Luigi’s dash attack is the best it’s ever been. It’s extremely fast, starting at frame 4. In theory, you can use it to punish things that are otherwise unpunishable for Luigi or use it to shield poke near the edge, but it’s definitely one of Luigi’s more “meh” moves. Definitely a surprise move, though, due to how fast it comes out.

Overall Rating:

:luigi64:

1 out of 5: Use sparingly.

Smashes

FSmash (15%)

Active Frames/Hitboxes:

Frame 12-13, can be angled

In game Look:

The classic poke of doom. So doom-y that Luigi has to use his whole hand!

Pros:

Can be tilted Up or Down, which changes the KB growth and launch angle. High has the highest growth (121) and launches at 65 degrees, normal has lowest growth (116) and launches at 53 degrees, and low has a growth of 117 with the lowest launch angle (45 degrees).

Safe on shield

Does an extra 5% shield damage, meaning that a non-charged F-Smash eats 2/5 of a shield

The neutral angled version has a very deceptive range

Kills very early, with an up-tilted FSmash killing floaty characters exceptionally so

Cons:

Despite the deceptive range, it’s still rather low ranged.

Due to the angle and hitbox, it can wiff on crouching characters if not tilted down

Applications:

F-Smash is an amazing move, despite its range. It does a ton of shield damage, is fast, kills early, and it’s safe on shield. It’s one of the things you can do in the jab 50/50, can be performed while sliding as a retreating (or approaching) option, and ends rather fast as well. The DI required when hit with it changes quite a bit with the direction it’s used in (up, down, or neutral), so getting a hit with it will, undoubtedly, lead to good things for Luigi. Also, if USmash can hit in front of you while in a combo, FSmash can, too.

Overall Rating:

5 out of 5! Range isn’t the best, but it’s just so powerful and useful.

USmash (12%/14%)

Active Frames/Hitboxes:

Frames 9-13, with 2 hitboxes. Head invulnerability starts 2 frames after the charge window (charge window is frame 7, so invulnerability starts at frame 9 if not charged) and ends 1 frame after the hitbox disappears (frame 14)

In game Look:

Like Mario, he does a massive headbutt that covers above him, in an arch.

Pros:

Head invulnerability

Hitbox (directly behind him) comes out frame 9.

Deceptively big hitbox

Smash charge window is only 2 frames from when the hitbox comes out

Benefits from sliding

Cons:

Not safe on shield

The front hit can be power shielded on reaction without issue

Applications:

A strong, head invulnerable smash that is very fast for how powerful it is. Because of its invulnerability, range, and speed, it can be used as an anti-air on reaction in some matchups. Additionally, it does a fair amount of damage uncharged, meaning that ending combos with it isn’t too bad an option in some situations. Finally, because of its angle and speed, it can lead into a grab or jab at lower percents.

Overall Rating:

5 out of 5! As far as Up-Smashes go, this is one of the better ones.

DSmash (15%, 14%)

Active Frames/Hitboxes:

Frame 6-7, Frame 14-15. 2 hitboxes on each, with each doing either 14% or 15%

In game Look:

Luigi breakdances! He swings his body under himself, hitting twice.

Pros:

Can hit twice, leading to up to 30% damage. If done in rest range, against a shield, it can do that damage to a shield consistently

First hit is frame 6

Second hit kills almost as early as FSmash

Second hit is safe on shield

Heavily benefits from Luigi sliding

Catches rolls easily

Cons:

First hit kills the latest out of Luigi’s smashes

Second hit requires you to hit with the hitbox behind Luigi, which comes out slowly.

First hit isn’t safe on shield

Applications:

Down Smash is a staple Luigi smash. It’s very fast, strong with the back hit, and does a large amount of damage with either hit. It can also be done when sliding, which increases its range considerably. Also, the first hit can lead into a grab at lower percent (matchup dependent). It accompanies the jab 50/50 perfectly.

Overall Rating:

5 out of 5: Outstanding down-smash to add to an outstanding kit.

Active Frames/Hitboxes:

In game Look:

Pros:

Cons:

Applications:

Overall Rating:

Aerials

Nair (12%, 6%)

Active Frames/Hitboxes:

Frames 3-5 for the strong hitbox, then frame 6-31 for the 6% hitbox

In game Look:

Luigi does a Karate kick! Frame 3, he doubles in size! Frame 4, he shrinks in size! Frame 5, he returns to normal.

Pros:

Frame 3 aerial that has a hitbox that covers Luigi’s entire body.

Strong hit does 12%, weak hit leads into most things, including the strong hit

Covers air dodges, spot dodges, etc. due to how long it lasts (28 frames total)

Kills at later percents

Stuffs most projectiles, even if they happen around Luigi (Dins fire, for example)

SHAir Dodge > Nair is a powerful option

Benefits from being stale

Auto-cancels 5 frames after the hitbox is gone.

Can be used OOS

Fundamental part of Luigi’s kit

Cons:

Doesn’t cover much space around Luigi

Very unsafe on shield if not used while rising

Decent landing lag

Applications:

The grand-daddy of aerials. Nair enables Luigi to create frame traps, break combos, start combos, extend combos, finish combos, and protect himself from projectiles. It can be used as an air-footsies tool, OOS, and option coverage. It does it all… Except hit far around him.

Overall Rating:

o Fair

o Dair

o Bair

o Uair

· Specials

o B – Standard Fireball

o B – Ice Ball

o B – Bouncing Fireball

o Side-B – Green Missile

o Side-B – Quick Missile

o Up-B – Burial Header

o Down-B – Luigi Cyclone

o Down-B – Mach Cyclone

· Other

o Grab

o Dash Grab

o Pivot Grab

o Final Smash

o Down Taunt

o Air Dodge

o Side Dodge

o Rolls

· Movement

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I went to my first tournament yesterday and I was pretty nervous. It was a 42 man tournament, by the way.
I won my first set in Winners with Luigi against a Ness.
I lost my second set in Winners with Luigi against a Falcon.
I went to Losers and in Round 2, I fought a guy's Mega Man with Pikachu and won, lost to his Ness with Luigi, and won against his Donkey Kong with Luigi.
I ultimately was eliminated in Losers Round 3 against a Sheik with Pikachu.

Not bad, not bad at all.

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
I'm jealous of y'all having local scenes and what not :p here in Saudi we have nothing, but every friend of mine who play the game tries hard to spread it around. But people are kinda close minded and its not uncommon for people to call us kids (we're all 20+) if we play Smash on our 3DS in public. Not like playing FIFA and CoD is making you a grown up adult all of a sudden..

TriTails

Smash Lord
I'm jealous of y'all having local scenes and what not :p here in Saudi we have nothing, but every friend of mine who play the game tries hard to spread it around. But people are kinda close minded and its not uncommon for people to call us kids (we're all 20+) if we play Smash on our 3DS in public. Not like playing FIFA and CoD is making you a grown up adult all of a sudden..
I have zero local scenes here.
I have pretty much zero friends who has heard of 'Super Smash Bros.'
People here don't care about Nintendo.

Your situation is miles better than mine.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Luigi CPU level 9 tried to kill me with taunt at the ledge DX

I'm scared...these CPUs are getting too smart..

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
I'm feeling pretty proud to be a Luigi main! Accomplished a lot this Saturday playing all Luigi at a 77 man local. I got my first tournament win against a good player, broke top 8 for the first time in a 30+ tournament, finally beat Sonic in tournament (won 2 sets), and one more thing.... I actually won the whole thing. I think this is the first time a solo Luigi main has won a local here in GA.

Side note: Pivot grab is soooo good and Down B spike is soooo clutch

febLey

Smash Cadet
NNID
febLey
Hey, i just fell in love with playing luigi.
Do you have some videoguides or replays you can recommend to watch?

TriTails

Smash Lord
Hey, i just fell in love with playing luigi.
Do you have some videoguides or replays you can recommend to watch?
Look up Mr. CC or J. Miller. Boss is kinda off his game. I constantly saw him fishing for grabs when it's kinda already obvious people are just going to either jump or spotdoge it. Granted, I also has this problem, but Boss doesn't seem to abuse SHFF aerials. They are like, crazy gud.

Of course, I don't claim as a better player than him. But I think his skills with Luigi can improve drastically if he goes to the air more.

Congrants STiCKY!

Last edited:

MrTeddyBear

Smash Apprentice
Look up Mr. CC or J. Miller. Boss is kinda off his game. I constantly saw him fishing for grabs when it's kinda already obvious people are just going to either jump or spotdoge it. Granted, I also has this problem, but Boss doesn't seem to abuse SHFF aerials. They are like, crazy gud.

Of course, I don't claim as a better player than him. But I think his skills with Luigi can improve drastically if he goes to the air more.

Congrants STiCKY!
There's also this guy named Poke who lives in Canada. He's probably the second best Luigi in NA and he's ranked #1 in his area. He kind of plays like ConCon but he also does a lot of unique combos that I think you guys could learn from.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
I honestly hate Luigi's new down tilt.
I mean, unless for some reason when I hit it my opponent crouch canceled, I hate how it just sent them flying to the side.
Sure, its a decent edge guard if you can hit it, but down taunt is far more worth it so the move comes off as pointless to me.

D

Deleted member

I honestly hate Luigi's new down tilt.
I mean, unless for some reason when I hit it my opponent crouch canceled, I hate how it just sent them flying to the side.
Sure, its a decent edge guard if you can hit it, but down taunt is far more worth it so the move comes off as pointless to me.
I don't understand why his down tilt, of all things, was buffed. I never even use the move because of it's pitiful range; the percent of it tripping has increased, but the lack of range makes it not as useful as Pikachu's or Kirby's down tilt, which has a chance of tripping and has better range to boot.
And from what I hear here, it's even more useless thanks to the buff.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
I don't understand why his down tilt, of all things, was buffed. I never even use the move because of it's pitiful range; the percent of it tripping has increased, but the lack of range makes it not as useful as Pikachu's or Kirby's down tilt, which has a chance of tripping and has better range to boot.
And from what I hear here, it's even more useless thanks to the buff.
It not a buff, its a nerf.
Before the patch, it was a nice combo set up at least, now its garbage.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
So on Friday I lost again at weeklies, but barely, again...[3rd game last hit last stock scenario.] Really annoying, losing to a Diddy and Charizard after winning game 1. Mutilated a Yoshi though with jab to up B. both games I'm sitting at 120%, and I just can't lock that kill. Probably more just me, but it feels hard to kill with Luigi without his D throw to set up. And at higher levels, D throw is a pain to get tbh. But I did manage to take a game off the 2nd best player in all of BC arguably [Who pretty much never drops games unless he's versing the #1 guy]. I even had a 75% lead on him game 2 1st stock.Who does he use? Pikachu. [As in less than 10 games with the entire roster except Shulk too. For some reason I felt he was easier to grab. The Pikachu player also hates the matchup vs Luigi. Idk how to expalin it, but just more personal evidence on solidifying my feelings on why Luigi has a small advantage on Pikachu.

Pyr

Smash Lord
If I may give you a bit of unsolicited advice based off of my experience:

When I can't get the grab, I like to Down-B into them. If it doesn't poke, I can usually get far enough away that their punish isn't bad. If it does, I sharply move away to let them fall out. It can be teched, but no one does. After that, I can just react to their choice for either a grab, free stage control, or a kill (sliding reverse U-Smash is amazing if they do a get-up or neutral stand-up).

I can get this to work very often against one of my state's top 20 players. He plays Sheik, so... Ya... Grabs aren't coming often there.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
D tilt was far and away my least used, so it doesn't bother me. Sucked before patch, sucks after patch. Really jab is superior in all days in terms of frame data and setups.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
2nd in spa city...again.
Well, on the bright side, I did manage to take another set off Yosh (Best player in arkansas IMO), came back from the second losers bracket, and beat Playat again.

But still, the aount of mere mashing I have to do to even get consistent cyclone spikes is bullcrap. Sakuri pls buff.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
One of these days I'm gonna get of my lazy *** and go to a tournament. One of these days.

I'll never understand why they felt the need to nerf Luigi's recovery.
I agree with his recovery as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom