• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Luigi's Social Mansion

Luigisama

Smash Champion
So I came up with this idea to make a thread solely for Luigi stadium records. What sparked my interest was the luigi challenge where you have to survive for one min in cruel smash. I think it could be a fun idea and if possible videos of the replays can be included. I saved my 1:12 replay for the cruel smash one and plan to upload it.

thoughts? Also any idea if it could get modded?

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
So I came up with this idea to make a thread solely for Luigi stadium records. What sparked my interest was the luigi challenge where you have to survive for one min in cruel smash. I think it could be a fun idea and if possible videos of the replays can be included. I saved my 1:12 replay for the cruel smash one and plan to upload it.

thoughts? Also any idea if it could get modded?
I like it. Sounds like a cool idea and a new topic of discussion aside from the usual 1v1 competitive talks

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
Yeah....

*Sobs in the corner on Luigi not making it to Top 8 by himself*

Anyway, every Luigis in Apex, great job! Pretty sure everyone did their best. All we can do now is to pray and hope False goes all Luigi here.... but the chances are like, 1%.

Well, at least a Luigi made it to Top 16. I just wish the incident yesterday didn't happened.
In all honesty, Luigi mains were screwed over this Apex. Round 2 pools had Boss, J Miller, and another Luigi main (can't remember the name) in the same pool with Nairo, Amsa, Nick Riddle, and a few other big players. It was completely stacked in comparison to the other pools.

TriTails

Smash Lord
In all honesty, Luigi mains were screwed over this Apex. Round 2 pools had Boss, J Miller, and another Luigi main (can't remember the name) in the same pool with Nairo, Amsa, Nick Riddle, and a few other big players. It was completely stacked in comparison to the other pools.
I think you meant ThunderSt0rm, sir.

Guess luck also calculate in, huh?

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Luigi snagged A tier on /r/smashbros!

http://imgur.com/Tl7i7Iy
I honestly wouldn't take a community voted tier list seriously. Ever. [Unless it's from the Backroom on Smashboards of course]

Anyways, this tier list isn't actually that bad. Personally I'd swap Lucario and Luigi regarding Luigi's position. Yoshi and Ness are definitely better, Pikachu I think is a bit overrated though.

D

Deleted member

I had a frustrating day in For Glory.
When it comes to very difficult match-ups for me, Donkey Kong, Marth, and Lucina come to mind.
Donkey Kong is an absolute powerhouse. He can rack up damage quickly and he doesn't die early. Worst of all are his aerials; they're quick and powerful, giving me barely any time to think or come up with a good reaction. A lot of the Donkey Kong players that I've encountered are really good, so that hurts me in this regard... and they do the same stuff over and over again (use Spinning Kong, some smashes, and aerials), I just dunno what to do.
As for Marth and Lucina, I've encountered some bad players that use them, but the good ones give me trouble. Their aerials can severely gimp Luigi, especially Marth and his tipper. Most of the time, I just get conflicted and panicked whenever I encounter a good one. I know that I need to get in Marth's face to lessen his effectiveness, but that's easier said than done.

Anyone care to help? I've had other bad matches (mostly because of either bad plays or having a depressing moment where you use Green Missile instead of a Super Jump Punch right next to the opponent), but these stoke out to me the most. I just can't figure these three out in particular.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Ugh in the dead Luigi gameplay discussion I'm the last post so I can't post there...so this will have to suffice.

Anyways, I said last week I was eliminated early at my college's double tourney due to a bad partner. So I went to singles today...took 1st all Luigi. Well ok, I played ROB and DK in the grand finals too because the grand finalist in the opposite pool of mine was meh. My 1st and 3rd match were insanely close though down to a smash attack versing Mario and ZSS. I took 2/3 against Mario in some close matches [imo the Mario didn't cape enough] and I beat the best person in the room [Leader of the group] in a close 2 out of 3. In total I versed a Mario, Rosalina [Versed a 2nd one too and used ROB], Sheik, ZSS, Villager [Bad one, used DK for lulz still won]. Needless to say after I won everyone wanted to keep playing friendlies. And I was invited to the higher end tournies in BC. Tourney was out of 14 people. After winning the tourney, I lost to a Marth player in friendlies, lol.

So yes, I finally fought a really good Marth. I'm going to change my original statement about Luigi wrecking Marth this time around and say it's a 50/50. Marth's end and landing lag gives ample time to punish and Luigi wrecks when in, but Marth's range is still there, one whiffed attack and you're punished. Also Marth outspeeds Luigi and can gimp easily with fair. Imo, 50:50 and 55:45 Luigi vs Lucina.[Lucina is still a bad character cough cough]

But yeah, Rosalina is still difficult, Sheik isn't too bad, and ZSS is a very close match. General impressions, maybe I'll elaborate later.

My number one bad habit is tornadoing too much. I got punished badly a few times after all my hits were shielded. I need to be more unpredictable with it.

L∈O

Smash Journeyman
Yo @Dakpo, congratulations for winning Denti's Bizarre Adventure with Luigi!

I was watching it, what a tight set you had against Aerolink! Bracket reset with 3-2 for him and then 3-2 for you with an anybody's game 5!

Keep improving man! :)

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I had a frustrating day in For Glory.
When it comes to very difficult match-ups for me, Donkey Kong, Marth, and Lucina come to mind.
Donkey Kong is an absolute powerhouse. He can rack up damage quickly and he doesn't die early. Worst of all are his aerials; they're quick and powerful, giving me barely any time to think or come up with a good reaction. A lot of the Donkey Kong players that I've encountered are really good, so that hurts me in this regard... and they do the same stuff over and over again (use Spinning Kong, some smashes, and aerials), I just dunno what to do.
As for Marth and Lucina, I've encountered some bad players that use them, but the good ones give me trouble. Their aerials can severely gimp Luigi, especially Marth and his tipper. Most of the time, I just get conflicted and panicked whenever I encounter a good one. I know that I need to get in Marth's face to lessen his effectiveness, but that's easier said than done.

Anyone care to help? I've had other bad matches (mostly because of either bad plays or having a depressing moment where you use Green Missile instead of a Super Jump Punch right next to the opponent), but these stoke out to me the most. I just can't figure these three out in particular.
Well DK I find easy, he dies to a D throw. Literally one D throw and that's 70%. He is far and away the easiest character to combo in the game. He's also vulnerable to fireballs so you can wait for him to approach. Watch his range though and do NOT let him get you offstage, otherwise you can be spiked. Easy matchup though. Fireballs + D throw is all you really need here.

Marth I underestimated aftr losing to a good one. Superior range will still mess Luigi up. Also watch for counters while you combo him with D throw, he'll most likely use one while Luigi uses a nair. Tippered F smash kills super early near the ledge, like 0%? He has lots of landing lag though and cool down on his smashes, super vulnerable for Up Bs. Fireballs are good, but not great here. Marth can swat them away with his sword. When recoverying, go high, Marth can fair Luigi head on with a missile. Avoid this. Overall, tricky, but not super hard.

Lucina is a worse Marth. If you can beat Marth, you can beat Lucina twice over. She doesn't have scary tippers so you don't have to worry about being Koed early. "Anything Lucina can do Marth can do better."

I think we should discuss Greninja. Boss and J miller lost to one, so I think we need discussion on him.

Of course, do this in the matchup thread though.

D

Deleted member

Well DK I find easy, he dies to a D throw. Literally one D throw and that's 70%. He is far and away the easiest character to combo in the game. He's also vulnerable to fireballs so you can wait for him to approach. Watch his range though and do NOT let him get you offstage, otherwise you can be spiked. Easy matchup though. Fireballs + D throw is all you really need here.

Marth I underestimated aftr losing to a good one. Superior range will still mess Luigi up. Also watch for counters while you combo him with D throw, he'll most likely use one while Luigi uses a nair. Tippered F smash kills super early near the ledge, like 0%? He has lots of landing lag though and cool down on his smashes, super vulnerable for Up Bs. Fireballs are good, but not great here. Marth can swat them away with his sword. When recoverying, go high, Marth can fair Luigi head on with a missile. Avoid this. Overall, tricky, but not super hard.

Lucina is a worse Marth. If you can beat Marth, you can beat Lucina twice over. She doesn't have scary tippers so you don't have to worry about being Koed early. "Anything Lucina can do Marth can do better."

I think we should discuss Greninja. Boss and J miller lost to one, so I think we need discussion on him.

Of course, do this in the matchup thread though.
I guess I should be more patient with Donkey Kong in general; sometimes I go all aggro on him because I think that he is combo meat for Luigi. I haven't spammed Fireballs on him like I have against Ganondorf.

As for Marth, I haven't been able to capitalize on his long cool down with his smash attacks. I haven't been using too many Fireballs since Marth is a pretty speedy character, weakening a good strategy for Luigi.

Anyway, thank you for the tips!

Last edited by a moderator:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I don't think Marth's swordplay is fast enough to deal with a barrage of fireballs. He'll be better off jumping over them, perhaps.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I don't think Marth's swordplay is fast enough to deal with a barrage of fireballs. He'll be better off jumping over them, perhaps.
Marth can cancel them out with some sword attacks. However, if you vary the timing between the fireballs that might be something difficult to deal with. If you force Marth to jump, you can utilize that as a bait mechanic and go into the appropriate punish.
And get hit by them anyway since Luigi's Fireballs float.
You can definitely get hit. Remember that Marth can cancel out fireballs with his F-air as well. However, if you know that, you also need to know that Marth's animations for his aerials take a while to complete and the hitboxes are only out for a few of the initial frames. If done correctly, you can punish Marth if you see him try to swat the fireball in the air.

EDIT: Also, what's up @ Luigisama Luigisama ? It's been a while.

Last edited:

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
Does anyone remember my Super Luigi Guide? Well, despite what it may seem, I haven't given up on it. It's still a W.I.P and will remain that way for an indefinite period of time, but I will finish it eventually! I just haven't had a proper chance as I've been much busier lately.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Does anyone remember my Super Luigi Guide? Well, despite what it may seem, I haven't given up on it. It's still a W.I.P and will remain that way for an indefinite period of time, but I will finish it eventually! I just haven't had a proper chance as I've been much busier lately.
Take your time! The game isn't a year old yet, and your guide will propably last till Smash 5, if one will come.
So make it good, instead of fast!

Last edited:

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I'm going to a tournament of about [According to the Facebook event] 120 people tomorrow. I'm planning on going all Luigi [Unless I lose the first match and I feel like playing ROB]. There's also a $5 entry and winner gets 60% of the pot [And a $50 gift certificate at the gamer bar it's hosted at] so yeah. So far my track record is 1/15th, sucks I don't have the Wii U version to practice on though.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Is this the famed flock of the Weegee's I've been hearing about?
<--- Ech, sorry for the white outlines.

This seems like a cool place, I'll post here often.
I'm going to a tournament of about [According to the Facebook event] 120 people tomorrow. I'm planning on going all Luigi [Unless I lose the first match and I feel like playing ROB]. There's also a $5 entry and winner gets 60% of the pot [And a $50 gift certificate at the gamer bar it's hosted at] so yeah. So far my track record is 1/15th, sucks I don't have the Wii U version to practice on though.
Kind of late but I hope you did well.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Is this the famed flock of the Weegee's I've been hearing about?
<--- Ech, sorry for the white outlines.

This seems like a cool place, I'll post here often.

Kind of late but I hope you did well.
Not late, since it's in about 12 hours from now haha. [Although it does suck when I get a losing streak going on smashladders...close games, but yeah...]hopefully this doesn't reflect into the tourney. And that the BC tourney scene is easier to take on.

TriTails

Smash Lord
Now that I saw that N64 Luigi pic. I have to say this,

ROUND HEAD LUIGI IN MELEE IS WIERD!!!

And the sound is just unbearable. Thank God the video I was watching is 'Luigi evolution in SSB' so the gameplay switches around.

...Melee Luigi users, you can bear the sound Luigi makes there?

Because I frankly don't.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Ok, results are in guys.

I got top 7 out of 80ish people [Don't know exactly number, but around there.] Here's the bracket for top 16: http://expbar.challonge.com/smashfisticuffstop16

So yeah,I'm Tanner [Ya'll know my first name now...keep on the dl lol]. Here are some details:

1st win against a Pikachu. Simple enough. An amazing Pikachu [Captain L] got 2nd though, just incredible. I was underrating Pikachu.
2nd win against a Diddy. Imo, Luigi's best top tier matchup [as in even]. Pretty much the priority on Diddy's side b is the biggeest threat I found.
3rd win against a Ness. Again, not much worth noting, I got caught with a PK flash and PKT2 though which kind of sucks.

Top 16:

Lost to my close friend N8, a Sheik [Who took 5th and almost beat the winner] A close game for the first game, bad the 2nd. Sheik is tough, her combos are actually equal to Luigi's, just less damage output. Needle is brutal, she has no problems abusing it. But through this madness, there is a secret golden key to help immensely in this matchup: Nair. Abuse the hell out of it, it breaks every single of on Sheik's ground combos. Not as helpful in the air, try fast falling it though.

Beat a Mario in losers. It really is even, I feel. Watch out for full charged fludds.

Lost to...yep, DK. I really did underestimate the match up. Sure we got combos, but at top level people can DI out quicker. Fireballs keep him out great. But DK has one thing in his arsenal that wrecks the hell out of Luigi: Bair. Onstage, and SPECIALLY offstage, it wrecks Luigi. Recover high, I only figured this out when it was too late to comeback. Other than that...I say maybe 55:45 Luigi. I got cocky I guess just assuming DK was combo food. Basically Luigi can handle himself on stage, but offstage he's basically gone unless you recover high. It's a good idea to take DK to FD this time around, those platforms help DK hit you from below with superior range.

Also lost to the guy who won the tourney [Best guy in BC] to a friggin Wii Fit Trainer, not even his main [He knows like 8 characters inside out, almost beat m2k with a non main, scary]. Badly. Yeah...soccer balls for days. Also F smash hitting on both sides full charged just smoked me with the smaller hand.

So yeah, entry fee was $10. Guess I could record these results on here...it was fun though! Went 4-2, not bad for a guy who only has the 3DS version. I bet I could do better if I had the real game, if you know what I mean haha.

Oh, there is no Diddys at all in the top 16. I know he is bound to fall soon on the tier list.

Last edited:

Soupy

Sage of Wind
I've been saying for at least a month that Pikachu is godly. Glad people are finally starting to play him haha. Grats on the tourny placement, though!

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I've been saying for at least a month that Pikachu is godly. Glad people are finally starting to play him haha. Grats on the tourny placement, though!
After I saw how hard Pikachu can wreck at that tourney...yeah. DK also impressed me too also after I lost to one. Thanks! I probably would have won the DK match if I recovered high and spammed fireballs more.

That tourney in Vancouver basically encompassed most of BC...so maybe I'm the best Weegee in BC? Probably not :p

Soupy

Sage of Wind
After I saw how hard Pikachu can wreck at that tourney...yeah. DK also impressed me too also after I lost to one. Thanks! I probably would have won the DK match if I recovered high and spammed fireballs more.

That tourney in Vancouver basically encompassed most of BC...so maybe I'm the best Weegee in BC? Probably not :p
Ohhhhhhh gosh, yeah. He just hurts. I've even had trouble with semi-decent Pikachu players, just because they know how to follow up everything with quick attack and edge guard with down smash.

Ahaha, that would be pretty dang neat!

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
I got 9th out of 90ish people at winter brawl last weekend. I wish I played better in top 16 though but I'm still content with how I did.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I got 9th out of 90ish people at winter brawl last weekend. I wish I played better in top 16 though but I'm still content with how I did.
I felt the exact same when I got 7th out of 80+ a few weeks ago...losing to DK still makes me sad [Stupid bair.] Grats though!

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
xD Don't be so tough on yourself!! DK is a hard match.
I definitely got overconfident rushing in for grabs to tack on lots of damage. It was close, should have played sage with more fireballs. But eh, I don't think it's super tough...it's just bair. Luigi can hardly answer to it. Also DK wrecks Luigi offstage.

Other than that though, DK isn't bad, just watch his limbs.

Also, rare for Luigi but...don't go to Battlefield. DK's smashes and up air, up tilt will abuse Luigi on the platforms [lower ones]. Go to FD.

Soupy

Sage of Wind
I definitely got overconfident rushing in for grabs to tack on lots of damage. It was close, should have played sage with more fireballs. But eh, I don't think it's super tough...it's just bair. Luigi can hardly answer to it. Also DK wrecks Luigi offstage.

Other than that though, DK isn't bad, just watch his limbs.

Also, rare for Luigi but...don't go to Battlefield. DK's smashes and up air, up tilt will abuse Luigi on the platforms [lower ones]. Go to FD.
Dude I came to that realization recently, actually! I HATE battlefield as Luigi!
Oh yes, DK is terrifying off stage. At that point, Luigi just feels like a very, very large target just waiting to get wrecked. DK's grounded moves also seem to mostly out range Weegi, too? Don't quote me on that, whenever I play against a DK, it just feels like I get denied half of the time.

Soupy

Sage of Wind
Wow...I've never done a taunt spike in a real match ever.

I'm so ashamed!!! haha
Whenever you're playing someone that always recovers low but over shoots the ledge (like a toon link?) just walk up, hang off a little bit, and down taunt. It's the most satisfying thing ever haha.

Top Bottom