• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi's Smash 4 Guide? (Will keep updating)

Sparky15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elec-Wolf
3DS FC
2578-3364-0347
I noticed no one has mentioned this, but Luigi can do d-throw -> spike d-air follow-ups. I tested this out mainly on fast-fallers and heavyweight characters. It can work on fast-fallers at mid to high percents. Then at mid-high percents on heavyweights. The d-throw -> spike d-air combo can be continued into another move(s). Maybe you can constantly dunk the opponent with spike d-airs. I'll confirm that after I test that.

Fun Fact: Luigi's d-throw -> spike d-air -> b-air can easily KO Fox. Maybe Falco, too...

TriTails

Smash Lord
I noticed no one has mentioned this, but Luigi can do d-throw -> spike d-air follow-ups. I tested this out mainly on fast-fallers and heavyweight characters. It can work on fast-fallers at mid to high percents. Then at mid-high percents on heavyweights. The d-throw -> spike d-air combo can be continued into another move(s). Maybe you can constantly dunk the opponent with spike d-airs. I'll confirm that after I test that.

Fun Fact: Luigi's d-throw -> spike d-air -> b-air can easily KO Fox. Maybe Falco, too...
Can you read my mind? I literally found this out about an hour ago, and about to post it in here....

Yeah, it works guys. D-throw, spike, then any aerial of your choice, Luigi Cyclone, even FJP! Easier to do for taller characters, and B-air can easily KO characters too.

Sparky15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elec-Wolf
3DS FC
2578-3364-0347
Can you read my mind? I literally found this out about an hour ago, and about to post it in here....

Yeah, it works guys. D-throw, spike, then any aerial of your choice, Luigi Cyclone, even FJP! Easier to do for taller characters, and B-air can easily KO characters too.
Waitwaitwait. When you get meteored to the ground and rebound off of it, can you automatically air dodge out of that hitstun or can you not?

Also, I think d-throw -> spike d-air can reset combos if it doesn't inflict tumble hitstun. I THINK I've seen LoF False tried it at S@X one time, but didn't get the proper follow-up afterwards. I only got a consecutive hit once when trying that out. Maybe d-throw -> d-air -> falling soft n-air -> re-grab or up-tilt to possibly more? My God, Luigi's so combo heavy. More so than Mario.

Sparky15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elec-Wolf
3DS FC
2578-3364-0347
Also, can someone explain to me the Luigi's matchup against Sonic? I swear, it's one of his worst. I mainly have trouble punishing his Spin Dash or Spin Charge properly, mainly when jumping into the air. Seems that fast rush-down characters like Sonic (that's what I think they're called) can overwhelm Luigi with ease. That's what I think, anyway.

Sparky15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elec-Wolf
3DS FC
2578-3364-0347
It's official: D-throw -> spike d-air is available to follow-ups at least 20% without tumble hitstun. On Fox, I performed d-throw -> spike d-air -> fast fall clean n-air -> up-air (back hitbox) -> b-air for 53%! I guarantee you this can work on other fast-fallers and especially heavyweights! The only problem is that if the opponent DIs horizontally from you, sometimes it's tough to land the d-air, or the spike alone. Regardless, this should definitely be on the guide!

TriTails

Smash Lord
Also, can someone explain to me the Luigi's matchup against Sonic? I swear, it's one of his worst. I mainly have trouble punishing his Spin Dash or Spin Charge properly, mainly when jumping into the air. Seems that fast rush-down characters like Sonic (that's what I think they're called) can overwhelm Luigi with ease. That's what I think, anyway.
Why

Why would you try to avoid Spin Dash/Charge with jumping?

Use Fireballs and watch as it cancel out his signature attack, he suffers greatly from lag, and punish with a grab.

This MU is probably is 6:4 in Luigi's favor IMO. Fireballs shuts down his Spin Dash/Charge, Homing Attack leaves him vunerable for an U-smash at whiff, and dashing at you can be taken care with Fireballs and Cyclone.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675

This is something I talked about a while ago on someone else's guide thread but it's good to have it out other places too. The Dthrow->Dair spike works on all characters except maybe really floaty ones. I don't normally use it mid-stage because Luigi's other Dthrow combos are more guaranteed than trying to get that Dair spike. But I will attempt it for style sometimes. I've gotten a Dthrow->Dair spike->Dair spike->Nair sweetspot for a kill once. Pretty cool.

The one time I will try this every time is by the ledge. Dthrow->Dair spike by the ledge is pretty much a guaranteed kill at mid-percent

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
It's official: D-throw -> spike d-air is available to follow-ups at least 20% without tumble hitstun. On Fox, I performed d-throw -> spike d-air -> fast fall clean n-air -> up-air (back hitbox) -> b-air for 53%! I guarantee you this can work on other fast-fallers and especially heavyweights! The only problem is that if the opponent DIs horizontally from you, sometimes it's tough to land the d-air, or the spike alone. Regardless, this should definitely be on the guide!
This has actually been discovered / discussed a while ago. It's very cool! Here's the thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/ssbwu-3ds-luigi-chain-grab.379906/

Sparky15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elec-Wolf
3DS FC
2578-3364-0347
Why

Why would you try to avoid Spin Dash/Charge with jumping?

Use Fireballs and watch as it cancel out his signature attack, he suffers greatly from lag, and punish with a grab.

This MU is probably is 6:4 in Luigi's favor IMO. Fireballs shuts down his Spin Dash/Charge, Homing Attack leaves him vunerable for an U-smash at whiff, and dashing at you can be taken care with Fireballs and Cyclone.
Oh nonono, I was talking about when a Sonic jumps out of his Spin Charge/Dash the moment he touches your shield and immediately inputs an aerial (which is pretty common), and that's when I was talking about punishing him in the air.

Also, sometimes, when I shoot a Fireball towards Sonic's Spin Charge/Dash, he's already close to me. And that Sonic player can adapt and mix it up with a Homing Attack (which you did say to punish with up-smash, though I fear it might trade), or jump over your Fireball and attack from above with an aerial or just an empty jump. I don't know, I need to play against a good Sonic main more often. Sometimes, he feels worse than Diddy Kong to me...

TriTails

Smash Lord
Oh nonono, I was talking about when a Sonic jumps out of his Spin Charge/Dash the moment he touches your shield and immediately inputs an aerial (which is pretty common), and that's when I was talking about punishing him in the air.

Also, sometimes, when I shoot a Fireball towards Sonic's Spin Charge/Dash, he's already close to me. And that Sonic player can adapt and mix it up with a Homing Attack (which you did say to punish with up-smash, though I fear it might trade), or jump over your Fireball and attack from above with an aerial or just an empty jump. I don't know, I need to play against a good Sonic main more often. Sometimes, he feels worse than Diddy Kong to me...
Then all you need to do is to block his aerial and punish him with U-smash. You don't really need to block a Spin Dash/Charge as long as you keep him at bay, anyway.

Fireballs fire quite quickly. You must do it at least when he charges his Spin Dash/Charge (Because the uncharged version is as slow as heck). It WILL stop his at his tracks. If he mixes up with Homing Attack, roll backwards since it telegraphs itself, and when Sonic bounce on the ground, U-smash him. What? He jumps over your Fireballs? Nado, or just plain Fireballs while jumping.

I think Nado also stop Spin Dash/Charge. Just remember to float above the ground a bit so it's considered an aerial attack by the system. Do it on the ground, and you'll clash with him, and you can't really gain any advantage from it.

Just remember, get caught in the Spin Dash/Charge, Sonic will most likely jump and U-air, then Spring Jump and another U-air. Just don't get caught in that rolling hedgehog and you'll be fine.

Sparky15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elec-Wolf
3DS FC
2578-3364-0347
Then all you need to do is to block his aerial and punish him with U-smash. You don't really need to block a Spin Dash/Charge as long as you keep him at bay, anyway.

Fireballs fire quite quickly. You must do it at least when he charges his Spin Dash/Charge (Because the uncharged version is as slow as heck). It WILL stop his at his tracks. If he mixes up with Homing Attack, roll backwards since it telegraphs itself, and when Sonic bounce on the ground, U-smash him. What? He jumps over your Fireballs? Nado, or just plain Fireballs while jumping.

I think Nado also stop Spin Dash/Charge. Just remember to float above the ground a bit so it's considered an aerial attack by the system. Do it on the ground, and you'll clash with him, and you can't really gain any advantage from it.

Just remember, get caught in the Spin Dash/Charge, Sonic will most likely jump and U-air, then Spring Jump and another U-air. Just don't get caught in that rolling hedgehog and you'll be fine.
Got it. Thank you very much! Also, is Luigi Cyclone a gimping move, now? I've seen Boss utilize it to gimp characters with mainly vertical recoveries, most notably here:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MMuYDCiXEb0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Yeah it gimps but the only way to truly utilize it is with the extreme mashing Boss is known for. Without the mashing skills your opponent will remain stuck in your Cyclone and get tossed up. However, the gimp is still possible in trade form. While your Cyclone is out, if someone's recovery trades with yours they'll immediately stop which acts like a small spike.

FEFIZ

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-4003-4948
"Now, in Smash 4, Luigi NEEDS his 2nd jump to support his Luigi’s Cyclone when it comes to recovery. It has to follow up immediately in an instant or otherwise Luigi will suffer trying to recover, which may up in losing a stock."

I think players like Boss and Mr. Con Con can Down B without this.

HyperTJ

Smash Rookie
I so wish this would get updated. I'm really confused on some of luigi's moves.

Liam3

Smash Rookie
NNID
bigdadiyleelee
Luigisama, I will get to it immediately. The Up B KO'ing % on characters, yeah I have a feeling that's gonna change. Down Throw -> F-air -> N-air is a 3 hit combo btw, just discovered it today.
I just recently picked up luigi, how do you do the cyclone gimp properly? do you just mash rly fast?

Jackguti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jackguti
Hey guys, I have a question. What is Luigi's best and worst Stage to play on?
Tbh he doesn't really have a really BAD stage. FD is very linear which could work to his advantage but I would say it's possibly his worse(not that its bad but the others seem better)
BF and DL have platforms which can extend combos and the platforms can help him get early kills with upB or dthrow->down b
TnC and SV are pretty similar to tri plats but the moving platforms gives Luigi a chance to camp and space a little better in case he needs it(against a character that outranges him or a poor matchup like rosa or mewtwo)

Jackguti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jackguti
I just recently picked up luigi, how do you do the cyclone gimp properly? do you just mash rly fast?
Yes, I believe it's a little over 10 clicks a second for it to be most effective. Personally if you can mash fast enough to stay in place or get a little bit of vertical distance is probably good enough to get by. It takes a lot of practice and time to really master it. I've been at it for awhile and I'm making slow progress

LuigiDodo

Smash Rookie
I think i found an extension of your combo. i was trying it out on fast fallers and the "Down Throw -> F-air -> N-Air -> Jab Combo (0% heavy) (possible grab?) " combo can go "Down Throw -> F-Air -> N-Air -> Up-A -> Regrab Down-Throw -> Up-Air -> F-Air" seems to work. i tested on bots so im not sure if you can get out of it. Worked from 14%-15% so very situational. Deals 51% on Fox. Also instead of Regrabbing you can Up-A -> Up-Smash or Up-A -> N-Air which work from 15% to 20%. I'm guessing nobody is still on this forum from 2015 but at least I tried :p

Top Bottom