• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi's Smash 4 Guide? (Will keep updating)

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
It's nerfed but it's still quite fast. If you jab and shield grab, you will grab the opponent. If you go directly for the grab button, it'll just jab again because his jab cancels slower in this which is why jab -> up b is much harder to hit with. Although, in past iterations, jab up b was pretty unsafe because if the opponent was grounded, he or she could just shield after grab, or buffer a roll and be safe, allowing them for a free punish. But here it's even harder to land.

no if you are attempting to jab cancel and regular grab and he jabs again that means u didnt jab cancel correctly. if you jab cancel correctly regardless of how long it takes for him to do it he will NEVER jab again.

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
no if you are attempting to jab cancel and regular grab and he jabs again that means u didnt jab cancel correctly. if you jab cancel correctly regardless of how long it takes for him to do it he will NEVER jab again.
I've tried it. It takes too long for the jab itself to cancel, and by that time the opponent has rolled or jumped away. The fastest i found was to do jab -> shield grab, which works pretty much all the time. The only way youre going to get jab to grab without shielding is if your opponent cannot react to it in time (which he should be considering how small of a window we have).

ThatGeoDude

Smash Rookie
NNID
GeoDude
3DS FC
5241-2073-4660
I've found that aerial up-b combos out d-grab at 100% and up. The aerial up-b is hard to land because of the nerfed hitbox, but the game registers it as a 2-hit combo, (3-4 if you can throw in a pummel or two).

I've tested it on most of the characters and naturally it's a lot easier to pull off on the characters with big models. Rosalina, bowser, wario, etc.

Most of the fighters get star KO'd, but the window ranges from 100-110%.

Last edited:

crashbfan

Banned via Warnings
NNID
3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
hello BAM

NNID
LilG912
GGs, Bluebird. I wanted to play you more but you left :( and yeah I like to dashdance to keep up with my movement momentum with my thumb, yeah I know I'm weird :(. Anyways, looks like I have some editing to do on the Luigi guide as people are implementing more stuff on Luigi.

Maître Luigi

Smash Apprentice
I've found that aerial up-b combos out d-grab at 100% and up. The aerial up-b is hard to land because of the nerfed hitbox, but the game registers it as a 2-hit combo, (3-4 if you can throw in a pummel or two).

I've tested it on most of the characters and naturally it's a lot easier to pull off on the characters with big models. Rosalina, bowser, wario, etc.

Most of the fighters get star KO'd, but the window ranges from 100-110%.

smashboards.com/threads/luigis-smash-4-guide-will-keep-updating.372225/#post-17837807

$Lil' Gerald Is In Dat Style$, you should add some of the info I found to the first post. If you need a video of each instance, please ask.

Sparky15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elec-Wolf
3DS FC
2578-3364-0347
As a side note, Luigi's down b can get a good, sneaky Star/Screen KO on characters near the top of the screen. They just need to be at percents around 90 and above, if memory serves... Don't forget the rage effect, too.

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
@$Lil' Gerald Is In Dat Style$ I didn't want to I caught you when I was a about to turn off my 3ds I had some work to do but we definitely can do more! Let me know when cause it seemed like you and those other players were coordinating pretty well. Another 3 hit combo I found at higher percents ( Most around the percents @Maître Luigi listed for d-throw up b kills) is a full hop N-air into U-air, I've had no problem landing this consistently sometimes you have to use your second jump and u-air but it connects 90% of the time for me.

ALSO** I've started messing with custom moves and I only have up b 2 and 3 and they both show to combo after a d-throw even #3 for whatever reason after the initial hit luigi comes down and ground pounds and the counter shows to connect and I can charge an f-smash afterwards. It showed to work at higher percents too. #2 is MUCH easier to connect the sweet spot rather than normal but the knock back isn't as strong. Ill see if I can update with kill percent numbers later. I really want to test this out with someone because this can open up some unique possibilities. I don't have any of the cyclone customs but I will try when I do.

EDIT: Custom upb 3 is probably a glitch. Sometimes they jump out and it doesn't look like they can't do anything after the initial hit of the up b.

Last edited:

Sparky15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elec-Wolf
3DS FC
2578-3364-0347
is it just me or does luigi just feel slightly not good enough to get there most of the time?
Try jumping and mash the b button. Luigi's down b gets greater altitude during the jump height. When the opponent is at the top, use his second jump then immediately mash the b button during the down b to launch them off the stage.

Sparky15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elec-Wolf
3DS FC
2578-3364-0347
Also, Luigi can auto-cancel all of his aerials from a short hop fast fall maneuver (abbreviate SHFFAC at your own will). I even think he can short hop two f-airs, fast fall, then auto-cancel from the second f-air. I THINK...

Sparky15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elec-Wolf
3DS FC
2578-3364-0347
Btw, I read that Luigi's sweetspot is more likely...well...you mean the hitbox is larger? I'm a bit puzzled. Sorry if I'm rambling, just giving out information and advice. :/ Great guide so far! :D

Sparky15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elec-Wolf
3DS FC
2578-3364-0347
It may cause landing lag, right?
Auto-cancelling is when you land an aerial during the animation with no lag after a certain amount of frames. Unfortunately, I don't OWN the 3DS version, just renting it. This weekend, too. I'll ensure to check more of Luigi's skills. I will get the Wii U version, however.

Sparky15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elec-Wolf
3DS FC
2578-3364-0347
Hopefully we can exchange each other's 3DS FCs to battle this weekend. Please keep in mind that if I quit abruptly, its because of a 3DS malfunction, forcing me to play it at a right angle. It just shuts off with a *boop* noise in a less than a second (can't even close it sometimes). I'm trying to get a 2DS next month (b-day) because I heard this occurs on the XL, too.

Sparky15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elec-Wolf
3DS FC
2578-3364-0347
Luigi Cyclone has the same lag on the ground and mid-air. So, it really doesn't have landing lag... What about late n-air combos? From a grounded opponent, late n-air -> up-tilt -> up-air -> back-air is a true combo. Or late n-air -> up-smash.

Mettie7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mettie7
3DS FC
2191-8121-7929
Someone should figure out the KO percents for Shulk during his different arts. I assume the current percent there is with no art activated, but I know his arts change his weight so depending on which art he'll be KOd at a higher or lower percent. Just food for thought when someone has 30 mins to spare with a friend (or if you can get the cpu to activate the arts)

Maître Luigi

Smash Apprentice
Someone should figure out the KO percents for Shulk during his different arts. I assume the current percent there is with no art activated, but I know his arts change his weight so depending on which art he'll be KOd at a higher or lower percent. Just food for thought when someone has 30 mins to spare with a friend (or if you can get the cpu to activate the arts)
It will become much easier to test specific things such as Shulk's different arts when the game is released onto Wii U since you can then use a player controller in training mode.

Last edited:

Maître Luigi

Smash Apprentice
Fast falling:
Also, Luigi can auto-cancel all of his aerials from a short hop fast fall maneuver (abbreviate SHFFAC at your own will). I even think he can short hop two f-airs, fast fall, then auto-cancel from the second f-air. I THINK...
First off, fast falling does not cancel the lag on your move or the landing lag after hitting the ground; nevertheless, you can cancel landing lag by either jumping or walking (in any direction). In my experience, to combo two F-Airs from ground you must short hop into the first F-Air and then down then quickly press F-Air.

As I stated before "f-air -> f-air -> jab combo (~15%) (possible grab?)," though it now seems the grab is in fact inescapable. I will post a .GIF of this soon to show you what I mean.

Last edited:

Sparky15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elec-Wolf
3DS FC
2578-3364-0347
Fast falling:

First off, fast falling does not cancel the lag on your move or the landing lag after hitting the ground; nevertheless, you can cancel landing lag by either jumping or walking (in any direction). In my experience, to combo two F-Airs from ground you must short hop into the first F-Air and then down then quickly press F-Air.

As I stated before "f-air -> f-air -> jab combo (~15%) (possible grab?)," though it now seems the grab is in fact inescapable. I will post a .GIF of this soon to show you what I mean.
I'm aware you can't just cancel landing lag by fast falling. I was just stating that Luigi can auto-cancel some of his aerials early enough to suffer no landing lag when fast falling immediately after a short hop. Also, who are you performing that combo on? I can't pull it off. But maybe I'm doing it wrong. :/

Last edited:

Sparky15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elec-Wolf
3DS FC
2578-3364-0347
To start off, Luigi can KO Shulk at 80% with Fire Jump Punch, KO him in Smash art at 65%, and then 120% in his Shield art. So for KOing Shulk in his Smash art (or any other Monardo art that makes him lighter) subtract the regular KOing percent on him by 15. Worked with Luigi's Up-smash, but I'll keep testing this soon.

Sparky15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elec-Wolf
3DS FC
2578-3364-0347
Found a few more combos. If you can up-tilt your opponent with the hitbox in front of you, then you can go for another one. Works at 39% and not much higher. Luigi can juggle with d-throw -> up-air -> up-air on all characters, if you can get the second one just in time. This is especially good on lightweight or floaty characters, due to his f-air having more knockback, decreasing the juggling possibilities little bit. But you still can.

Also, is it just me, or does doing d-throw -> f-air -> n-air on the koopalings do 31% instead of the always 27%? That's I saw in training mode, at least.

Folt

Smash Ace
Found a few more combos. If you can up-tilt your opponent with the hitbox in front of you, then you can go for another one. Works at 39% and not much higher. Luigi can juggle with d-throw -> up-air -> up-air on all characters, if you can get the second one just in time. This is especially good on lightweight or floaty characters, due to his f-air having more knockback, decreasing the juggling possibilities little bit. But you still can.

Also, is it just me, or does doing d-throw -> f-air -> n-air on the koopalings do 31% instead of the always 27%? That's I saw in training mode, at least.
Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings have two hitboxes: One for the pilot and one for the clown car. Hitting the pilot does more damage and knockback than normal and vice versa for the clown car.

louie g

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I found an interesting kill combo last night and I need your approval!

I was playing with this goofy Wario on for glory and started to experiment with Luigi's Nair. I put a little pressure on and he started rolling a lot more, and through a quick read I Nair'd + jump, to pop him upwards while staying with him, and right when my Nair ended, I Double Jumped + Down B'd to carry him slightly higher and throw him off screen! The tricky part is tapping B just a little bit to keep them in your grasp as you're going upwards, tapping B too much will result in the opponent dropping like a rock and your final cyclone hit misses!

I've tested it in practice mode and it does count the entire thing as a 5 hit combo, the thing is, the kill percentages of course can vary depending on the opponent's weight. I find that some lightweights (Luigi, Game and watch, etc.) get knocked out by this at around 80% and higher, since they get carried higher by the cyclone. Mid weights (like Mario and Fox) tend to die at around 100/110% and higher, while the heavier weights (Bowser, Donkey Kong) go about 120%. This is a little trickier to do on fast fallers like Fox, though not impossible, they can slip out of the cyclone if you aren't precise enough with tapping B. I haven't tested this with everyone though.

Anyways, sorry if this was a long post, tell me what you guys think, and let me know if this is even useful! Hopefully it helps Luigi's kill potential in some way!

Last edited:

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
@ louie g louie g it is very useful not much has been said on the threads but n-air and late n-air have some great followups, tornado is one of the best follow ups to use imo. You can also d-throw and tornado to the sky and from my experience and testing they cannot escape it, you just have to read the DI. Also about characters dropping from the bottom that could lead to interesting set ups. I'm gonna mess with that more and see what I can come up with.

Edit: From training mode testing atleast (on bowser for now) they drop out if you mash the b button at the end of the nado. I tested it around 68%, did a d-throw to a quick short hop down b waited till the end and started mashing b and pulled away from bowser.I landed shortly after bowser crashed to the floor. I will get a video up when I can.

Last edited:

louie g

Smash Journeyman
@ louie g louie g it is very useful not much has been said on the threads but n-air and late n-air have some great followups, tornado is one of the best follow ups to use imo. You can also d-throw and tornado to the sky and from my experience and testing they cannot escape it, you just have to read the DI. Also about characters dropping from the bottom that could lead to interesting set ups. I'm gonna mess with that more and see what I can come up with.

Edit: From training mode testing atleast (on bowser for now) they drop out if you mash the b button at the end of the nado. I tested it around 68%, did a d-throw to a quick short hop down b waited till the end and started mashing b and pulled away from bowser.I landed shortly after bowser crashed to the floor. I will get a video up when I can.

Interesting read, I also never thought about doing setups when they slip out of the cyclone, that's pretty good stuff man. Looking forward to the video!

Last edited:

Sparky15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elec-Wolf
3DS FC
2578-3364-0347
I KNEW that late n-air follow-ups were a thing with Luigi in SSB4. But never thought of late n-air to Luigi Cyclone. How about late n-air to Fire Punch (up-b sweetspot)?

Last edited:

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
I KNEW that late n-air follow-ups were a thing with Luigi in SSB4. But never thought of late n-air to Luigi Cyclone. How about late n-air to Fire Punch (up-b sweetspot)?
It does work and I've caught people with it before, you can SHFF the n-air with perfect timing and follow up. I think it makes for a good mix up on people who like to spot dodge a lot or roll. You can also follow up with other aerials like a b-air and that has KO potential as well. I want to get a video out asap just having trouble how I'm gonna by to do that since my phone does not have the best video quality and the port to connect it to the computer is messed up.

Last edited:

Sparky15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elec-Wolf
3DS FC
2578-3364-0347
Just saw the video. Hard to believe it was a clean n-air that time. Geez, why is SSB4 so silly?

C'mon SSB4, you're being so dramatic.

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
F-smash was buffed to do 21% fully charged in 1.0.4, so please update the guide. Green Missile uncharged actually does 9.5, not just 9.

mrconcon

Smash Cadet
Now, in Smash 4, Luigi NEEDS his 2nd jump to support his Luigi’s Cyclone when it comes to recovery. It has to follow up immediately in an instant or otherwise Luigi will suffer trying to recover, which may up in losing a stock.

That's not true. I just won an online tournament with 50 entrants and didn't lose a match. The cyclone isn't as easy as brawls but i can still recover using the cyclone without jump.

I'll be getting a capture card soon so I can stream and show new techs and stuff.

Last edited:

Seleir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yoshigold
3DS FC
2707-1692-7697
Switch FC
2632-8168-1029
We wait for your tech so. How can we do this? Explain with writes if you want

Sparky15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elec-Wolf
3DS FC
2578-3364-0347
Seems Luigi has a KO combo of D-throw -> N-air. KOs floaty characters around 120% and everyone else around 130% for the most part. The tricky part is that you need to be swift about nailing the n-air, since your opponent doesn't have that much hitstun for you to get that finisher. If you're too slow, then your opponent will air dodge or use a quick aerial as a combo breaker.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
I have a question how come back throw isn't listed as a kill option? It seems to kill reliably at 110-120 on different characters.

Top Bottom