• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi's Smash 4 Guide? (Will keep updating)

NNID
LilG912
NOTE: My biased statements are left of this guide as I deeply explore the buffs and nerfs of Luigi’s true move set in Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS. Also, Luigi’s moveset animation and moves are the same like it was in Brawl. Let’s get crackin’.

Luigi's Competitive Gameplay

Luigi is often said to be the aggro out of the Mario Bros in Brawl. His juggling abilities slightly changed. He got amazing aerials still and a BETTER fireball game than Mario's. For those who have experiencing using Luigi in Brawl, he's almost technically the same character to me in Smash 4. Luigi does not have a high learning curve like Zero Suit Samus or Rosalina because he's a bit similar to Mario. I WILL ADD MORE ON TO THIS. :4luigi:

Neutral A – Punch Butt Combo:GCA::GCA::GCA:
It’s the same combo as Brawl’s, the damage output is 10%. An excellent way to rack up and build damage on the opponent.

Forward Tilt – Plumber Kick:GCR::GCA:
In Brawl, Luigi’s Side A tilt output was 10%. It has been nerfed to 8% in Smash 4. That also goes for upward, downward, and normal. This move is great for spacing like it was in Brawl.

Up Tilt – Overhead Hook:GCU::GCA:
In Brawl, Luigi’s Up Tilt output was 9%. It has been nerfed to 6%. Also, Luigi’s Up Tilt is slightly slower in Smash 4. Luigi’s Up Tilt can be juggle starter. The thing is that Luigi players have to get used to juggling at 39% instead of 0% because the opponent will stay grounded and he/she will not fly up in the air.

Down Tilt – Heel Poke:GCD::GCA:
In Brawl, Luigi’s Down Tilt output was 9%. It has been nerfed to 8%. Also, Luigi could no longer trip his opponent in Smash 4. Luigi’s Down Tilt will send his opponent upward a little instead of the opponent being stable on ground and can be possibly tripped like it was in Brawl.

Dash Attack – Jab Fury a.k.a The Luigi Windmill:GCR::GCA:
Luigi’s dash attack has been improved with hitstun. Luigi now lifts his opponent in air as he windmills his opponent. It can still be punished if the opponent was blocking it.

Up Smash – Lead Headbutt:GCCU:
In Brawl, Luigi’s Up Smash output was 15%, fully charged at 21%. It has been nerfed to 12-14%, fully charged at 19% now. The back of Luigi’s head does 14%. Originally, Luigi’s head does 15% in Brawl. One of Luigi’s best tools for KO’ing his opponents. Despite the small nerf, Luigi can still kill, just don’t underestimate. Up Smash is great for KO’ing opponents who mistakenly airdodges or roll into you if you can read them right. One of the best options for Luigi’s KO’ing options.

Down Smash – Breakdance Kick:GCCD:
In Brawl, Luigi’s Down Smash output was 16%, fully charged at 22%. It has been nerfed to 14%-15%, fully charged at 19%. Luigi’s Down Smash is great tool to handle players who would to tend roll a lot or reading hard rolls. It can be used as a “GTFO” move when the Luigi wants the opposing player offstage. It could also be used to rack up some damage. I recommend anyone to use F-Smash, Up-Smash, and B-air for KO’ing options because Down Smash kills at very high percentage and it’s a struggle.
Side Smash – Karate Poke:GCCR:
In both Brawl and Smash 4, Luigi’s Side Smash output is 15%, fully charged at 21%. NOTE: Luigi’s Upward Side Smash and Downward Side Smash do the SAME amount of damage like the normal one in Smash 4. One of Luigi’s best KO’ing options alongside with Up Smash.

Neutral Air (N-air) – Plumber’s Foot:GCU:, :GCA:
Luigi performs a sex kick like he does in the previous Smash Bros. series. In Smash 4, Luigi’s N-air output is 12%. It has been slightly nerfed because in Brawl, it was 14%.

Forward Air (F-air) – Karate Chop:GCU:, :GCCR:
Luigi performs an aerial karate chop in the air. In Smash 4, Luigi’s F-air output is 9%. It has been slightly nerfed because in Brawl, it was 10%.
Back Air (B-air) – Drop Kick:GCU:, :GCCL:
Luigi performs a drop kick. In Smash 4, Luigi’s B-air output is 14%. The late one’s output is 8%, it’s same as it was in Brawl. It has been buffed because in Brawl, it was 12%. It’s one of the best options to space out with Luigi and one of the tools to KO an opponent off stage.
Down Air (D-air) – Drill Kick:GCU:, :GCCD:
Luigi performs a drill kick. In Smash 4, Luigi’s D-air output is 8%. It has been nerfed because in Brawl, it was 11%. They buffed the hitbox where he can likely spike more often now. Luigi may have a good chance to possibly gimp an opponent.
Up Air (U-air) – Bicycle Kick:GCU:, :GCCU:
Luigi performs a flip kick. In Smash 4, Luigi’s U-air output is 11%. The 2nd half does 7%. It has been nerfed because in Brawl, it does 13%. The late one also 8% in Brawl too. It is a good tool for juggling opportunities after a D-throw or D-throw.

Neutral B - Fireball:GCB:
In both Brawl and Smash 4, Luigi’s fireball output is 6%. Same speed animation. Luigi’s fireball game is the same like it was in Brawl. Nothing much changed here. It potentially helps him with his approach options better way better than it does in Brawl. His fireball game should better than Mario's because Mario can't spam his fireballs fast as Luigi's in this game.

Down B – Luigi’s Cyclone:GCD::GCB:
In Brawl, Luigi’s Cyclone output was 12%. It has been nerfed 9%. Luigi’s Cyclone is still great for recovery but also they nerfed that too. Back then in Brawl, Luigi does not need his 2nd jump to support with Luigi’s Cyclone to get back on stage. He would literally come back up without the support of his 2nd jump if the B button was mashed easily. Now, in Smash 4, Luigi NEEDS his 2nd jump to support his Luigi’s Cyclone when it comes to recovery. It has to follow up immediately in an instant or otherwise Luigi will suffer trying to recover, which may up in losing a stock. Traveling distance on ground is nerfed, it was longer in Brawl. Traveling distance in the air is slightly nerfed; it was also longer in Brawl. I see a buff when it comes to comboing. Luigi's Cyclone is great for comboing such as Down Throw -> F-air -> Luigi's Cyclone at early percentages. Also, Down Throw -> Luigi's Cyclone is great too. Check the Combo String list below.

Side B – Luigi’s Green Missile:GCR::GCB:
Luigi will shoot himself like a missile. The misfire output is 25%, which is the same amount of damage he did in Brawl. Regular does 9-10% and charged does 21%. Also, if you run as you do a regular Side B with Luigi, the damage output is 6%. It is one of best options for Luigi to recover on stage alongside with his Luigi’s Cyclone. They somewhat nerfed his chances of getting a misfire in Smash 4 now, it’s slightly less than 12.5% chance.

Up B – Super Jump Fire Punch:GCU::GCB:
In both Brawl and Smash 4, Luigi’s Super Jump Fire Punch output is 25%. His Super Jump Fire Punch is nerfed for recovery. The jump distance of the move is shorter now. In Brawl, Luigi jumps very high. His Up B seems to be more ground based in this game.

Killing Percentages per Character with Super Jump Fire Punch

Mario/Diddy/Pit/Dr. Mario/Dark Pit – 70%
Luigi/Little Mac/Sonic – 67%
Peach/Palutena/Falco – 64%
Bowser – 81%
Yoshi/Duck Hunt Duo – 71%
Rosalina – 59%
Koopalings - 79% (sometimes at 78%)
Wario/Charizard/Captain Falcon – 75%
G&W – 56%
D.K – 83%
Link/R.O.B – 74%
Zelda/Zero Suit Samus/Meta Knight – 63%
Sheik – 62%
Ganondorf/Ike/Mega Man – 76% (Ike at 76% sometimes, most likely 77%)
Toon Link/Greninja/Ness/Wii Fit Trainer – 66%
Samus/Lucario/Shulk – 73%
Marth/Avatar (Robin)/Villager/Lucina/Pac-Man – 69% (barely 68% if you’re lucky vs. Marth)
Ike – 77% (My 1st guess when I first set it to 77% lol)
Kirby – 58%
King Dedede – 87%
Fox/Pikachu – 61%
Jigglypuff - 53%

Forward Throw (F-Throw):GCZ::GCR:
In both Brawl and Smash 4, Luigi’s F-throw does 9%.

Back Throw (B-Throw):GCZ::GCL:
In Smash 4, Luigi’s B-throw is 10%. It was slightly nerfed because in Brawl, it was 12%. They significantly nerfed Luigi’s b-throw thus removing it away from Luigi’s KO’ing options. It is the most damaging throw though.

Down Throw (D-Throw):GCZ::GCD:
In both Brawl and Smash 4, Luigi’s D-throw output is 6%. It’s a potential juggle starter. Great way to link his D-throw to Up-Smash which does 20%. 0-17%, Luigi can link it at those early percentages. (2 hit combo)

Luigi Combo/Juggle Strings (Will keep updating)
Down Throw -> Up Smash = 20% [Start at 0-16%]
Down Throw -> U-air = 17% [Start at 0-200's%]
Down Throw -> F-air = 15% [Start at 0-200's%]
Down Throw -> N-air = 12% (founded by GreenFlame)
Down Throw -> B-air = 20%
Down Throw -> F-air -> N-air = 27%
Down Throw -> F-air -> F-air = 24% (founded by Luigisama/BlueBirdE) [Start at 25-35%]
Down Throw -> F-air -> Luigi's Cyclone = 24%
Down Throw -> Luigi's Cyclone = 15% (founded by BlueBirdE)
Down Throw -> Dash -> U-Air -> B-Air (mid-high %)
Down Throw -> F-air -> N-Air -> Jab Combo (0% heavy) (possible grab?)
Down Throw -> F-Air -> U-Air (low-mid %)
Down Throw -> U-Air -> F-Air (mid %)
Down Throw -> Dash -> B-Air (high-195%)
Down Throw -> D-Air (low-mid %) (spikes)
Down Tilt -> Jab Combo (low-mid %)
Down Tilt -> Upward Forward Side A (mid %)
Up Throw -> U-Air
Up Throw -> U-Air -> B-Air (mid %)
F-Air -> F-Air -> Jab Combo (~15%) (possible grab?)
F-Air -> F-Air -> F-Tilt (~15%)
F-Air -> N-Air (low %)
Taunt (no tech) -> Up-B
U-Tilt -> Jab (low %)
U-Tilt -> Jab Combo (~25%)
U-Tilt -> Up Smash (mid %)
U-Tilt -> F-Tilt (mid %)
U-Tilt -> N-Air (low-mid %)
U-Tilt -> F-Air -> F-Air (mid %)
U-Tilt -> F-Air -> d-b (mid %)
U-Tilt -> F-Air -> U-Air (mid %)
U-Tilt -> U-Air (low-95%)
U-Tilt -> U-Air -> B-Air (mid-95%) (higher % requires a jump)
N-Air -> U-Tilt -> Up Smash (mid %)
Up Smash -> B-Air (low-mid %)
Down Smash -> F-Tilt (low %) (second hit only)
U-Air -> Jab Combo
U-Air -> F-Tilt
U-Air -> D-Tilt

*Thanks to Maitre Luigi for coming up with majority of the combos for Luigi, big help! :)*

Killing Moves

Down Throw -> Up-B (Percentages varies depending who are you playing against)
Up-B (Percentages varies depending who are you playing against)
Up Smash
Side Smash
N-Air
B-Air
Down Throw -> Luigi's Cyclone (Percentages varies depending who are you playing against and here's a video of it. All thanks to ThunderSt0rm) http://smashboards.com/threads/dthrow-cyclone-video.384079/
Down Smash (The back side of it)

Taunts
All of his taunts came from Brawl. They are the same in Smash 4.

Other Notes

Down Throw -> Up-B [Combo] Death Percentages: (founded by Maitre Luigi)

New data for D-Throw -> Up-B (3DS -> Wii U change):

Mario - 99% -> 93%
Luigi - 94% (*) -> 88%
Peach - 89% -> 83%
Bowser - 112% (**) -> 106% (**)
Yoshi - 99% -> 93%
Rosalina & Luma - 83% -> 78%
Koopalings - 103% -> 97%
Wario - 106% -> 100%
Mr. Game & Watch - 80% -> 75%
Donkey Kong - 117% -> 110%
Diddy Kong - 100% -> 94%
Link - 105% -> 98%
Zelda - 89% -> 84%
Sheik - 89% -> 83%
Ganondorf - 108% -> 101%
Toon Link - 93% -> 87%
Samus - 102% -> 96%
Zero-Suit Samus - 90% -> 85%
Pit - 98% -> 92%
Palutena - 90% -> 84%
Marth - 98% -> 92%
Ike - 108% -> 102%
Robin - 98% -> 92%
Kirby - 82% -> 77%
King Dedede - 124% -> 117%
Meta Knight - 89% -> 84%
Little Mac - 96% -> 91%
Fox - 88% -> 83%
Falco - 92% -> 87%
Pikachu - 87% -> 82%
Charizard - 104% -> 98%
Lucario - 102% -> 97%
Jigglypuff - 74% -> 69%
Greninja - 93% -> 87%
Duck Hunt - 100% -> 95%
R.O.B. - 106% -> 100%
Ness - 94% -> 89%
Captain Falcon - 108% -> 102%
Villager - 90% ->
Olimar/Alph - 87% -> 81%
Wii Fit Trainer - 93% -> 97%
Dr. Mario - 99% -> 93%
Dark Pit - 98% -> 92%
Lucina - 98% -> 92%
Shulk - 102% -> 96%
Pac-Man - 97% -> 91%
Mega Man - 108% -> 102%
Sonic - 97% -> 91%
Mii(s) - 98% -> 92%

Notes:
* "I cannot combo into Up-B at higher percentages." - Maitre Luigi
** "Bowser has less stun and I cannot combo into Up-B at any percent." - Maitre Luigi

Additional Notes:
Down Throw -> Up-B (strong) does 26% damage.
Down Throw -> Up-B (weak) does 7% damage.
At kill percents do a fast double jump for consistency.
Typically at 1% damage more this combo will be much easier.

My Conclusion and Final Analysis on Luigi
Luigi didn’t change as much in this game except for minor buffs and nerfs. He got more nerfs than buffs with his moves, damaging wise but yet he is still a powerhouse to be reckoned with. The nerfs would be irrelevant as if the Luigi ignores it and plays how he should be played. His offstage gotten worse due to the fact that now he was work as twice as hard to recover and opposing players can shut him down his recovery. Luigi’s approach options are better because the universal gameplay of Smash 4 eliminates majority of camping so therefore, Luigi finally has the ability to approach in on almost every character in the game.

Final Notes
If anyone can contribute anything new for Luigi, I will gladly add your name onto the list and give you for full credits for discovering it. I'm willing to correct my statements about Luigi on this guide. Pictures will be up very soon. Thank you to SmashWiki, GreenFlame, Luigisama, BlueBirdE and Maitre Luigi for providing knowledge so I can test out Luigi's damage output, learning his buffs, and nerfs. Also, I will keep updating and change a lot of stuff once the Wii U version releases.

Last edited:

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
This guide is great! Now I know exactly how all of his attacks work! Does his Neutral air work as a juggle after a D-throw as well?

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Interesting, did not know every single move except bair with nerfed in damage...kind of depressing.

Anyways, looking forward to working on this guide. I'll contribute if I can.

NNID
LilG912
Yes, GreenFlame. It does, I will edit it immediately. I was a bit tired when I was finishing up this guide but I'm happily motivated to explore more stuff with Luigi along with other players.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Looks good so far. I think the up b percentage might need to be changed for some characters. Also you're missing our standard combo which has changed from the brawl down throw up air up air to down throw fair fair, but I think that it could be DI dependent.

NNID
LilG912
Luigisama, I will get to it immediately. The Up B KO'ing % on characters, yeah I have a feeling that's gonna change. Down Throw -> F-air -> N-air is a 3 hit combo btw, just discovered it today.

Last edited:

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
Idk if this has been said anywhere, but i've been messing with luigi and found out he can combo his down throw has alot of juggle potential and it combos into an up b even at higher percentages. Unless im doing something wrong try it in training mode it shows to be a combo and i've hit it several times on people on for glory. I can show replays if you want to see.

Last edited:

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
At 0% i can combo a d-throw with a f-air and n-air
At 25-35% i can combo a d-throw with 2 f-airs
At 50-70% i usually go for a d-throw luigi cyclone for the damage
Any higher you can combo the d-throw into an up-b, timing is strict but i think you have enough time to react to the characters positioning and still combo it. not to mention b-air and u-air have some ko strength if you want to use that.

Also his up-throws combos at early percent but i haven't explored it enough. And his n-air can combo if you time it right to hit the opponent and prevent the landing lag afterwards. still need explore it more.

Last edited:
NNID
LilG912
Yo, I tested it, BlueBird and Luigisama. Good stuff. I will definitely add and add your name onto this. Keep it up! :) Btw, Luigi is capable of doing Down Throw -> Fair -> Luigi Cyclone, 7 hits. I have to fix the percentages for the combos, guys. I will get on that.

Last edited:

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Idk if this has been said anywhere, but i've been messing with luigi and found out he can combo his down throw has alot of juggle potential and it combos into an up b even at higher percentages. Unless im doing something wrong try it in training mode it shows to be a combo and i've hit it several times on people on for glory. I can show replays if you want to see.
I'm not sure if you knew this, but moves in training mode don't stale so most likely these combos don't work. Also never throw Di out of the equation.

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if you knew this, but moves in training mode don't stale so most likely these combos don't work. Also never throw Di out of the equation.
That's why I wasn't so sure. Yesterday I hit d-throw to up-b on a lot of players, and some players i played multiple times and they were spamming airdodge and counters cause they knew it was coming and i still hit it before they're move came out, but I couldn't tell you how they were DI'ing. Street Fighter training mode gives you a lot of options I wish they would include stale and DI in there. that being said, whats the best way to test this stuff out? Can I send you or someone my replays so you can see or someone i can try these combos i mentioned with proper DI knowledge?

NNID
LilG912
You're right, Luigisama. It's so early y'know but I will always make adjustments to this guide until it's perfect. The combo juggles, I'm highly concerned about it cuz we all know DI is there. I can't wait til I use the c-stick on the Wii U version. BlueBirdE, if you wanna add me, here's my FC: 4828 5754 9511. I forgot the replay tool in this game.

Muhti

Turkish Smasher
I am gonna add some kill percentages I found whilst in training mode, expect I did a couple of trials so expect characters slowly coming:

Mario:

UpSmash-
Fully Charged: 92%
Quick Charge: 122%

DownSmash:
Fully Charged: 110%
Quick Charge: 132%

SideSmash:
Fully Charged: 85%
Quick Charge: 120%

Should I continue with the other characters or is this unnecessary?

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Yeah I mean it could work @ BlueBirdE BlueBirdE , but that is the issue with testing stuff out in training mode. You can't be really sure and the same thing was an issue for say someone trying to learn the ICS chain grab in brawl. You can't practice it in training mode because the grabs don't stale and the timing is different so it has to be practice in real time like against a cpu or an actual match.

@ $Lil' Gerald Is In Dat Style$ $Lil' Gerald Is In Dat Style$ Man I'm waiting for someone to find the set up for up b. It is hard to do jab to up b.

NNID
LilG912
Luigisama, they nerfed the jab to grab in Smash 4, they nerfed where the jab to up b and I agree it's harder which is why I barely do it. Muhti, I don't think it's necessary because we should be able to tell who is light, medium, and heavy when it comes to terms of weight.

Muhti

Turkish Smasher
Ah alright, so just get the three classes then or none at all? Sorry for the trouble.

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I think I've found a 0-50% combo. Dthrow-Fair-Nair-Utilt-USmash. I hit Bowser Junior with it for 50%. May need further testing, I was just fiddling around with it. Requires fast movements of course.

I hit Mario for 47% and I can pull it off consistently in training and on CPUs. You have to be very quick with the U smash though, any delay with mess it up.

Update: I don't think it works on Kirby...he flies too far up. So I'm guessing lighter, smaller characters will be unable to use this. Yet it works on Fox. Hmm...

Last edited:

Folt

Smash Ace
I'm loving the improved dash attack. Instead of being garbage forever, it's now typically an all-or-nothing attack where you either hit and rack up that sweet damage or miss and get punished. Having a new option for when you're dashing is something I felt that Luigi sorely needed in the previous Smash games!

Last edited:

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
You're right, Luigisama. It's so early y'know but I will always make adjustments to this guide until it's perfect. The combo juggles, I'm highly concerned about it cuz we all know DI is there. I can't wait til I use the c-stick on the Wii U version. BlueBirdE, if you wanna add me, here's my FC: 4828 5754 9511. I forgot the replay tool in this game.
Sounds good @ $Lil' Gerald Is In Dat Style$ $Lil' Gerald Is In Dat Style$ my fc is 3067 4356 3005. I'll send you some replays asap and we can have some matches and test it out. I'm sure there's better juggle potential with u-airs but its so hard on the 3ds pad I hardly ever bother doing it. I found some other possible combos for example at somewhere between 70-80% if your opponent is spaced right: d-throw, reverse u-air into b-air and a d-throw to d-air spike between 50-70% and if they don't tech the fall you can fast fall n-air before there character is able to do anything. Again all just initial things that may not work in the future and im mostly testing this stuff on mario ill get to different characters afterwards.

EDIT: I just realized you can't share replays or anything... lol give me a day or two to record with a camera and upload to youtube.

@ Luigisama Luigisama I hope it does, it'd be pretty sweet to have a d-throw to up-b early kill on characters like jigglypuff.If anything we can find at least what doesn't work and go from there.

Last edited:
NNID
LilG912
Okay no problem, BlueBirdE. Guys, I'm sorry for disappearing on Sunday cuz I had a lot of homework to do and catch up on. BlueBirdE is barely touch u-air because it'll make me do a full jump with him. I definitely need to update on the combo/strings with Luigi so you know I'll be prepared to do that immediately right on the spot. I would like to see your strings with Luigi, man.

L9L

Smash Cadet
NNID
sirshyguy
3DS FC
4596-9684-9176
I like the list of jump punch kill percents! What stage were these tested on? FD?

Maître Luigi

Smash Apprentice
d-throw -> up-b (0-185% all characters)
d-throw -> f-air -> f-air (low %)
d-throw -> dash -> u-air -> b-air (mid-high %)
d-throw -> f-air -> n-air -> jab combo (0% heavy) (possible grab?)
d-throw -> f-air -> u-air (low-mid %)
d-throw -> u-air -> f-air (mid %)
d-throw -> dash -> b-air (high-195%)
d-throw -> d-air (low-mid %) (spikes)
d-tilt -> jab (low mid %)
d-tilt -> uf-tilt (mid %)
u-throw -> u-air
u-throw -> u-air -> b-air (mid %)
f-air -> f-air -> jab combo (~15%) (possible grab?)
f-air -> f-air -> f-tilt (~15%)
f-air -> n-air (low %)
taunt (no tech) -> up-b
u-tilt -> jab (low %)
u-tilt -> jab combo (~25 %)
u-tilt -> u-smash (mid %)
u-tilt -> f-tilt (mid %)
u-tilt -> n-air (low-mid %)
u-tilt -> f-air -> f-air (mid %)
u-tilt -> f-air -> d-b (mid %)
u-tilt -> f-air -> u-air (mid %)
u-tilt -> u-air (low-95%)
u-tilt -> u-air -> b-air (mid-95%) (higher % requires a jump)
n-air -> u-tilt -> u-smash (mid %)
u-smash -> b-air (low-mid %)
d-smash -> f-tilt (low %) (second hit only)
u-air -> jab combo
u-air -> f-tilt
u-air -> d-tlit

Additional notes:
f-throw and f-tilt (mid %) have a jab combo follow up if no tech
fox trot is cancelled to standing if you press shield allowing to dash into jabs or up-b
fox trot cancelled by shield followed by a jab becomes an extended dash grab
f-air and d-tilt both trip
d-throw -> up-b kill rates (also character specific) in general:
Heavy: 108% (need to double jump)
Medium: 100%
Light Medium: 90%
Light: 80%

Also, you get about one extra guaranteed pummel every 50%

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
Nice info, i'll try these out in some matches and see which are the easiest to pull off.

@@$Lil' Gerald Is In Dat Style$ I have your fc added, message me whenever you want to get some games in!

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
Alright, I added your FC, BlueBirdE and thank you Maitre Luigi, I will test these out and make an update on the guide. :)
Its not letting me send you a message for some reason but im set whenever you are

EDIT: Send me a message to start the conversation when you can

Last edited:

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
Bluebird, I'm trying hard how to msgs on my 3DS and I'm sorry for kicking you because my friend wanted to play me and I didn't know you was gonna show up. : (
I tried the start conversation option at the top but it wouldn't let me start one for some reason, and its fine let me know whenever is a good time for you and we can get some matches in!

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
I'm able to record my replays and post them up now ill put those on later in the video thread. Also i found another interesting setup that I was able to pull off in a match against a lucario. I d-throwed into d-air spike and when they missed the ground tech they BARELY bounced off the ground and rehit the ground. I was able to fast fall and up-b from the ground for a very early kill. It could be a potential setup on characters ill show the replay later today.

Last edited:

Maître Luigi

Smash Apprentice
Down Throw -> Up-B [Combo] Death Percentages:

Mario - 99%
Luigi - 94% (*)
Peach - 89%
Bowser - 112% (**)
Yoshi - 99%
Rosalina & Luma - 83%
Koopalings - 103%
Wario - 106%
Mr. Game & Watch - 80%
Donkey Kong - 117%
Diddy Kong - 100%
Link - 105%
Zelda - 89%
Sheik - 89%
Ganondorf - 108%
Toon Link - 93%
Samus - 102%
Zero-Suit Samus - 90%
Pit - 98%
Palutena - 90%
Marth - 98%
Ike - 108%
Robin - 98%
Kirby - 82%
King Dedede - 124%
Meta Knight - 89%
Little Mac - 96%
Fox - 88%
Falco - 92%
Pikachu - 87%
Charizard - 104%
Lucario - 102%
Jigglypuff - 74%
Greninja - 93%
Duck Hunt - 100%
R.O.B. - 106%
Ness - 94%
Captain Falcon - 108%
Villager - 96%
Olimar/ Alph - 87%
Wii Fit Trainer - 93%
Dr. Mario - 99%
Dark Pit - 98%
Lucina - 98%
Shulk - 102%
Pac-Man - 97%
Mega Man - 108%
Sonic - 97%
Mii(s) - 98%

Notes:
* I cannot combo into Up-B at higher percentages.
** Bowser has less stun and I cannot combo into Up-B at any percent.

Additional Notes:

Example:

Last edited:

Wtfwasthat

Smash Journeyman
Down Throw -> Up-B [Combo] Death Percentages:

Mario - 99%
Luigi - 94% (*)
Peach - 89%
Bowser - 112% (**)
Yoshi - 99%
Rosalina & Luma - 83%
Koopalings - 103%
Wario - 106%
Mr. Game & Watch - 80%
Donkey Kong - 117%
Diddy Kong - 100%
Link - 105%
Zelda - 89%
Sheik - 89%
Ganondorf - 108%
Toon Link - 93%
Samus - 102%
Zero-Suit Samus - 90%
Pit - 98%
Palutena - 90%
Marth - 98%
Ike - 108%
Robin - 98%
Kirby - 82%
King Dedede - 124%
Meta Knight - 89%
Little Mac - 96%
Fox - 88%
Falco - 92%
Pikachu - 87%
Charizard - 104%
Lucario - 102%
Jigglypuff - 74%
Greninja - 93%
Duck Hunt - 100%
R.O.B. - 106%
Ness - 94%
Captain Falcon - 108%
Villager - 96%
Olimar/ Alph - 87%
Wii Fit Trainer - 93%
Dr. Mario - 99%
Dark Pit - 98%
Lucina - 98%
Shulk - 102%
Pac-Man - 97%
Mega Man - 108%
Sonic - 97%
Mii(s) - 98%

Notes:
* I cannot combo into Up-B at higher percentages.
** Bowser has less stun and I cannot combo into Up-B at any percent.

Additional Notes:

Example:
Is this a real combo? Or can the opponent easily airdodge or jump after the throw?

I dont have the game yet :(

Maître Luigi

Smash Apprentice
These are hit confirmed (except for the noted exceptions), meaning inescapable on combo and an unavoidable death at these percentages.

EDIT: If you're opponent gets to attack or air dodge after the Down Throw, YOU messed up.

Last edited:

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
Is this a real combo? Or can the opponent easily airdodge or jump after the throw?

I dont have the game yet :(
Great info! Correct if im wrong, i think the combo counter for that d-throw up b for bowser could be glitched, when i do d-throw to f-air it shows to combo even when i delay my jump half a second at the percent in the data.

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
These are hit confirmed (except for the noted exceptions), meaning inescapable on combo and an unavoidable death at these percentages.

EDIT: If you're opponent gets to attack or air dodge after the Down Throw, YOU messed up.
Great info! Correct if im wrong, i think the combo counter for that d-throw up b for bowser could be glitched, when i do d-throw to f-air it shows to combo even when i delay my jump half a second after a d-throw at the percent in the data.

Edit:Didnt mean to reply the same thing twice

Last edited:

Maître Luigi

Smash Apprentice
I see. I'll be able to check if Bowser can truly escape once the Smash Bros. Wii U is released. I will then be able to check at those percentages with second player controller. The AI is not reliable for specific setups such as this.

Although I have my doubts, Nintendo did state that the core game play of Smash 4 on Wii U will be the same as 3DS. I say this because I'm going to assume if any of the juggles work and are hit confirmed on Wii U they will also be for 3DS.

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
I see. I'll be able to check if Bowser can truly escape once the Smash Bros. Wii U is released. I will then be able to check at those percentages with second player controller. The AI is not reliable for specific setups such as this.

Although I have my doubts, Nintendo did state that the core game play of Smash 4 on Wii U will be the same as 3DS. I say this because I'm going to assume if any of the juggles work and are hit confirmed on Wii U they will also be for 3DS.
Yeah looking back at it, its really hard to tell which one hit faster. I even tried non sweet spot up b and it still didnt combo. It could have something to do with bowsers armor properties how he shoves off fireball knock back at early percents but it doesn't make sense since hes at 112%. Idk its weird. Also I'm hoping the mechanics are the same, if not better for luigi. I think the ability to true combo and kill with his d-throw is his most powerful tool and potentially the most powerful tool in the game imo. There would have to be separate tiers for each game if that was the case.

Last edited:

Maître Luigi

Smash Apprentice
The only other character I've found to have consistent death combos in Super Smash Bros. 3DS, on all characters, is Captain Falcon. His Down Throw -> U-Air -> Knee, U-Air -> U-Air -> Knee and Down Throw -> Knee. And to a lesser extend his U-Tilt -> U-Air -> Knee & U-Smash -> U-Air -> Knee but I have not been able to confirm the last hit of these.

I won't speculate on character tiers (especially since it's very subjective), but I feel Luigi is one of the better characters in this game; nonetheless, tournament results and new character findings may affect my impressions of Super Smash Bros. 4.

BTW, to me, 'combo' inherently means hit confirmed, regardless of what the game says. This means that saying 'true combo' is redundant, anything else would only be a juggle. This means the term 'hit confirmed juggle' is interchangeable with the term 'combo.'

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
Luigisama, they nerfed the jab to grab in Smash 4, they nerfed where the jab to up b and I agree it's harder which is why I barely do it. Muhti, I don't think it's necessary because we should be able to tell who is light, medium, and heavy when it comes to terms of weight.
It's nerfed but it's still quite fast. If you jab and shield grab, you will grab the opponent. If you go directly for the grab button, it'll just jab again because his jab cancels slower in this which is why jab -> up b is much harder to hit with. Although, in past iterations, jab up b was pretty unsafe because if the opponent was grounded, he or she could just shield after grab, or buffer a roll and be safe, allowing them for a free punish. But here it's even harder to land.

Last edited:
Top Bottom