• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi's Basement Journal: An UPDATED! Luigi Moveset Discussion (This rotation: B)

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
I have been working on it, actually. I've been getting better, since you started assraping me, and it drives me to get better.

So basically, thank you for ****** me.

Eten

Smash Ace
I'll shoot first.

Besides everything we already know about dair and how we use it... anyone else suspect that Luigi's extended feet are effectively disjointed hitboxes on the dair? I've shoved luigi's feet in hitboxes a couple times with a dair and yet Luigi doesn't get hit like you would expect if he had extended his hurtbox too. never done any testing however. Even if it were so, we'd use dair no differently than we do now, of course.

WIGI

Smash Champion
spike on back is on his twirling arms, front spike is sumwhere on the tip of his aht ish area.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
Dair dair dair,
This move is probably at its finest when used in buffering or SHFFAD. Dair is short sweet and to the point. It has decent KO power, and it is a possible spike, quick, weird disjointed hitbox, can be done only a few times off stage and still recover, decent damage, combo move (not generally a starter), mindgames are simple, just SH dair can keep the enemy away, and of course retreating dairs are easy and safe.

Cons are the slow refresh rate, it takes a good amount of time after the initial hit is over to do another air move, which is why it fits so perfectly into buffering.

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
Alright, I'm back after a long, lazy hiatus. I've just been busy with Call of Duty 5 Wii, which is fun. I don't want to do any entries right now... anyone want to write one and PM it to me? I'll do the one for D-Air though, it's my favorite move.

Cheesewulf

Smash Cadet
Dair is awesome and has an unexpected range, at low percentages you can punish with when you got thrown up

and is it just me or does the enemy slip a bit away from you with a little hitstun? I mostly follow up with a dash attack or ftilt

and yeah, it has a very strange hitbox, plus a possible spike

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
Not a possible spike. It's definite. I think WIGI has mastered it. Lol it's actually a tiny bit stronger than Mario's.

mio

Smash Ace
About Dair: Short hop->Dair is one of Luigi's best ground approaches in my opinion, especially since it has so many follow-up options (tornado, fireball, nair, fair, and maybe uair depending on the situation).

On another note...
One thing I definitely disagree with on the first page is how fsmash is rated higher than dsmash. Fsmash may have a bit more knockback than dsmash, but its pretty hard to combo/lead into and has somewhat slow recovery. To me, it's just an awkward move that doesn't provide you with too many options before or after.

Dsmash's start up is about twice as fast as fsmash and it covers Luigi on both sides for tech chasing. Although it also has slow recovery, it makes up for that because you can guarantee it much more often than fsmash. When you're just out of range for jab (2x)->up+b, you can almost always replace up+b with dsmash and then chase them with a tornado, fireball, or aerial pressure. Rack up damage by comboing into dsmash, then save your fsmash for the kill. I would say they are of equal importance, although I don't really use fsmash that much and I usually do fine.

PolMex23

Smash Champion
Fsmash for space punish...

dsmash for reliable kn ock - you - opponent back move an escape move an relief of pressure move

skyace89

Smash Journeyman
on occasion i do a SH F-air followed by a non-FF D-air and if the D-air hits there is a chance of them tripping...
but only on occasion i do this to keep from becoming to easy to read..

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
On another note...
One thing I definitely disagree with on the first page is how fsmash is rated higher than dsmash. Fsmash may have a bit more knockback than dsmash, but its pretty hard to combo/lead into and has somewhat slow recovery. To me, it's just an awkward move that doesn't provide you with too many options before or after.

Dsmash's start up is about twice as fast as fsmash and it covers Luigi on both sides for tech chasing. Although it also has slow recovery, it makes up for that because you can guarantee it much more often than fsmash. When you're just out of range for jab (2x)->up+b, you can almost always replace up+b with dsmash and then chase them with a tornado, fireball, or aerial pressure. Rack up damage by comboing into dsmash, then save your fsmash for the kill. I would say they are of equal importance, although I don't really use fsmash that much and I usually do fine.
I hope you're joking. I really, really do.

vKo

Smash Cadet
I understand where Mio is comin' from though.
In some match-ups I tend to tie vsmash more in my moveset to accumulate damage then use to chop to take em' out ASAP.
Usually only for those stubborn a** match-ups though.

But I'm not sayin' it's better than the chop, in any other way besides range.

And on topic, vAir has got to be the weirdest responding move to me.
First off, the unorthodox spike hitbox.
It has ridiculous horizontal knockback which results in KOs when the opponents near the edge of a stage.
AND it retains Luigi's floaty physics which allows far multiple aerial ****.

Time out.
Why does this character never make sense? xD

kigbariom

Smash Lord
Yeah, d-smash does have superior range but they can hardly be compared as the same type of move, d-smash is used with sliding not as a KO move, it is for approaching and spacing. F-smash is for KOs and its the best way to do it.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
3 words for dair.

Bread. And. Butter.

Interesting note, it's priority when coming from above is better than nair.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
When you say "coming from above", do you mean just doing the move over them and falling into the attack?

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Thats exactly what I mean.

It's not something you want to do very often, and its certainly not something you want to set yourself up to do. But there are times where an opponent is waiting for you to land from beneath you, and in that situaion, when an airdodge won't work, dair is a better option than nair.

Top Bottom