• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi's Basement Journal: An UPDATED! Luigi Moveset Discussion (This rotation: B)

HURRICANE REV

Smash Ace
This Thread is really Helpful. :) Luigi dsmash is really good because you can slide during that move and Sometimes, I use Dsmash for edgeguarding.

soccerdude7200

Smash Journeyman
ya
d smash is good for edge guarding if you time it right, otherwise they will just grab the edge and have invincibility frames.

Delvro

Smash Ace
My fav about the Dsmash is that it's so easy to buffer from a FFAD. Although it's really aggravating because I get clumsy and end up buffering a Dtilt instead... I HATE THAT MOVE!!!

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
My fav about the Dsmash is that it's so easy to buffer from a FFAD. Although it's really aggravating because I get clumsy and end up buffering a Dtilt instead... I HATE THAT MOVE!!!
I use C stick to Buffer a Down Smash, do the same ftw? The only smash I don't buffer with C stick is Fsmash, so I can get Upangled Fsmashs easier. Downsmash buffer is the easiest buffered smash to land I agree.

Delvro

Smash Ace
Yeah I use the C stick to buffer all my smashes, but if you're still holding down (from the fast fall) and then you hit C stick down, you do a Dtilt. Unless I'm doing it wrong? Maybe?

kigbariom

Smash Lord
Yeah I use the C stick to buffer all my smashes, but if you're still holding down (from the fast fall) and then you hit C stick down, you do a Dtilt. Unless I'm doing it wrong? Maybe?
Yeah, you're right, that helps sometimes. Which reminds me, has anyone ever used a d-tilt spike from an overhead platform. It may have been a fluke but it was cool.

WIGI

Smash Champion
lets move on to the next move, even if deltas not ready to update it, we have enough on the dsmash.

Delvro

Smash Ace
combo breaker, combo STARTER, killer priority, gets through projectiles, Good revenge KO move, and comes out on frame 3.

What's there not to like?

WIGI

Smash Champion
nair, is godly, its a nice ko move at highish precents when sweetspooted, it helps get out of falcos chain grabs very well. it pops them into the air to allow an ariel barrage, esentialy unpunishable (lest perfectsheildgrab)

the hitbox stays out for days insansly fast (0lag) so fast you can nair out of wolfs up b. and hit him. lol.

high priority. one of luigis BEST moves use it.

not to mention dnair and fnair posibilities and ive even done nair-> dairspike->nair->dair spike, don't rememebr what i did after that. i htink i triaed a down angles fsmash and he rolled away. should dsmahsed him lol

AMAZINGmove. USE it.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
It also cancels other aerials like shuttle loop, and rising nair is easy and fast
I now do a good combo: d-throw> FUNFair (lol "funfair") It is hard but so fast and effective

cmpr94x

Smash Lord
First off, I gotta say that this list is really nice. Kudoz. Secondly, I think this is EASILY one of Luigi's best moves. It has helped my game out a lot. Today I was brawling, I hurt my opponent who was a Wolf pretty bad but I couldn't kill them. They started comboing me and the knocked me off the stage. Once they chased me, I whipped out a nair and it killed them. Its just a really nice move and it saves you in many situations.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
F-air is pretty dang good because of the following;

1. Short, fast (you can do it 4 times off stage and still recover)
2. Decent damage
3. Low knockback for combos
4. Good for chasing, i.e opponent is off stage, you can jump out and do a bunch of fairs for a kill

However, Luigi's fair is significantly worse than in Melee, in terms of power especially. As far as I am concerned this is a mid tier attack only because it has low KO potential and range.

Oh! Almost forgot F-air puns: F-air is a fair attack that makes opponents pay a fare. And because it has fair knockback you can fare on the enemy's weaknesses. That is enough to make MK go on fare.

Delvro

Smash Ace
I really like the Fair. I think if you pause it at the right time, he extends his palm out like an aerial version of "free delivery"

A lot of times I use this move because I'm facing the wrong way for a B-air, but it's not a problem because it has similar knockback to a non-sweetspot B-air anyway... and it's faster (much faster on post-hitbox lag)

SH retreating Fairs (Dairs too) are good defense against aggressive opponents, since the hitbox appears slightly below you. Great for aggressive metaknights.

I can usually string combos together better using the Fair than the Dair, although I never use a Fair to approach an enemy on the ground.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
I basically almost never fair. The way I look at it it's a dair -1. It does have a better diagonal up hitbox than dair though. And it combos now and again. Situational in my game for sure.

WIGI

Smash Champion
use it when hit off stage to get rid of your momentom, its the fastest ariel. it can be used for spacing i guess, but dair is probably betetr even if its stale.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
F-air has BS low ending lag, so it's got to be useful somewhere...I dunno, ledgehopped F-airs seem to be okay when recovering.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Fair's knockback has gone down the drain from melee. No more dsmash to Fair ko setups *cries*

Anyways there's a few tidbits on it still making it sexy.

Double Fair > Nair (hence, nair comes out instantly frame 3 and get's autocanceled sexy*

Fair can be used to aerial strings *refer to elh's aerial string thread*

Fair has the most gayest landing land ever. And has near shortest range in front of him making it a blind spot in front of him sadly.

edit: oh and for the Nair discussion, this pretty much sum's it up

lol

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=198946

clearly and obviously the core of Luigis game <33

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
Really? I love F-Air. Of course, it's not the Almighty Judo Chop of Melee years, but it's still the Holy Judo Chop. First off, it's ridiculously fast in both ways, and you can SH 3 aerials via FFNAir. F-Air can kill at high percents, bringing me back to the days of Melee. It's good to throw some in your game to mix it up, and chaining them together high in the air is way too epic.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Don't remind me. When I first played brawl and saw the fair nerf, I just about cried.

Fair is a good move, on alot of other characters it could be their best aerial. For luigi however, out of 5 aerials, it's the fifth best. Sad.

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
F-Air is much faster than D-Air, but D-Air is a better move. I love D-Air, since Melee it's been my favorite.

crewster

Smash Lord
Up air is good for arial "combos" and keeping opponents off the stage. The "combos" are hard to pull off (for my play stile a least) but the edgegaurding is good and efective as long as you pull the move off and you can recover and jump back off the stage in time.
Overall I would say 4:luigi2:'s

WIGI

Smash Champion
i use up airs on stages like bf, when they are on a platform above me a sh uair wil get them, then follow that with doub;le jump then any ariel.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
This is it. The ultimate move. A sure contestant for one of the best aerials in the game, maybe even the best if you don't count that 2D LCD liquid guy that Mario and I hate so much. Professor E. Gadd made something for me, you know. A tiny remote that I attached to my wrist, concealed by my glove. "Whenever you're in danger..." he said, "Push the sole button on the remote. Everything will open itself up to you." To this day, I haven't forgotten these words. You know why? Because this move is freaking AWESOME. With a small curl of my hand, it sends a shock down to my leg and BAM! This comes out; though I can't do it myself, which explains why I need the button. First, it kills in the low hundreds. I mean, like 110. On heavies, like Dedegay, it'll still kill early. This thing is the definition of "revenge KO" and I can use it to end combos, START combos, deal damage, break enemy combos on me, break Falco's CG on me, to kill, to retreat, and to approach. A move so good would HAVE to be slow, right? WAH to your throat if you say that! This move comes out just about the instant I press the button! The priority is godly too! I can eat Din's Fire for breakfast and even Marth's sword might have trouble! The only problem is the range, but even then it isn't too shabby! What do you know?! There is a God!!
XD. Amazing entry.

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
These boards are like my apartment. In serious need of organization. I mean, the old useless crap is up and the new threads are just there. This thread was recently saved from the Page 2 monster, actually.

crewster

Smash Lord
This thread is nothing unless people participate. REV, Participate, I'm allowed to post this spam because I have mad a good comment on the U-air:
Up air is good for arial "combos" and keeping opponents off the stage. The "combos" are hard to pull off (for my play stile a least) but the edgegaurding is good and efective as long as you pull the move off and you can recover and jump back off the stage in time.
Overall I would say 4:luigi2:'s

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Uair freaking rocks at juggling fatties like D3. The sourspot is actually better (IMO) than hitting the sweetspot, just for the fact that you can juggle so well with it, especially when its a little decayed. I usually follow up Uair strings with rising tornado oddly enough sometimes... but its pretty much a sick move either way. Good for edgeguards too, as it seems to have more priority than Fair and Dair.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Uair does 13 damage, most of luigi's aerials. It's got a large upwards hitbox and can be repeated quickly. In one hop, you can uair a character on a platform, wait for them to drop and then uair them again before you're out of range. My favorite damage racker, with the possible exception of dsmash.

Uair also, at low %s, puts them into perfect position for a followup fair, which follows into fireball, which stuns and allows you to read them. Wintastic.

Uair is too goodsies.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Since we're slowly going back on our feet for this board, I guess I'll throw out my 2 cents.

Some of you have fought me and lord I land at least 4 upairs at most and boy it ****ing racks damage like a beast.

On platforms such as Battlefield, if the person is standing there, you can land 2 upairs and not get punished.

Reverse upair has lesser knockback but slightly better priority. Regular upair has better knockback but slightly lesser priority. After a Dthrow, if you read DI, and you can juggle trap them by Dthrowing to a upair > upair and if they dont DI still, you can land another 2. If you don't want to go for upairbinds you can do a upair and do a Nair and keep them in the air.

Top Bottom