• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi's Basement Journal: An UPDATED! Luigi Moveset Discussion (This rotation: B)

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
Luigi's Basement Journal

Welcome to the new Luigi moveset discussion! In this... thing, Luigi himself will put together a rating for all of his moves and tell us what he thinks about them. But not without your input! All of this... in his journal. For those of you who don't know, the name is from Paper Mario, where you could read Luigi's journal in the hidden basement of his home to find out what he thought about Mario's adventures. He also likes to give all of his attacks a nickname, so help him out with that. Luigi writes in his journal whenever the **** he wants, so you might want to hurry up and give your input due to the unpredictability. Luigi will accept last minute notes for the previous rotation the day a new rotation starts, but not after that.

"You read my diary? B***h."

Err, right. But don't worry, O Neglected One, we won't spread our secrets. So let's start writing, shall we?

This time, Luigi is writing about his Forward Aerial.

Page one: Jab Series- Buttcrack

Luigi's Opinion: :luigi2::luigi2::luigi2::luigi2::luigi2:

Dear Journal,

I love my jabs. Jab jab jab. It's so much fun to do. While big bro Mario gets a lot of the options I do, he doesn't get my swell Down Tilt to Super Jump Punch! Ha ha! Chalk one up for me! Ahem, well, anyway, the kinds of things I can do with my jab are amazing. I can use my Jab Cancel to confuse the enemy, as they never really know what I'm going to do and when. I can punch people really fast too, and watch out for my butt! That's... a little weird, but hey, I learned it. It helps me get some breathing room. It's not really as good as using two jabs and a boot, since it offers a similar effect, but is inferior in pretty much every way. My favorite thing to do, though, is jab and grab. It leads into my amazing Down throw follow ups! Take that, Mario! Really, my only complaint here is the lack of solid damage build up, unlike that mean guy Ike, and that my arms aren't so long so I don't get much range with it. Anyway, it's definitely one of my favorite moves, and it's essential in my goofy playstyle.

From,
Luigi​

Page two: FTilt- Boot to the face

Luigi's Opinion: :luigi2::luigi2:.5

Dear Journal,

So about my forward tilt. I hate to say it, but it's kind of mediocre. I mean, Mario's is extremely fast, while mine is not. Seriously, mine comes out pretty fast, but it takes a bit of time to pull my foot back. I'm also short on uses for my big kick. There's the lock, but one of my friends said that if I don't do it right, a paraplegic cucumber could escape from it. I got mad, so I tried to boot him, but he was at a low percentage! This is a bad mistake. When an enemy is at a low percentage and I boot them, they barely go anywhere, so they can hit me back before I'm done pulling my foot back. Man! Mario beats me again!! ...Well, the uses. I can use it at higher percentages to space, and I should throw some in place of my jabs every once in a while. At around 180, it's a surprise kill move too. I mean, who expects a HOO! as opposed to a WAH!? Nobody, that's HOO. Something I noticed is that it has the best range of all my ground moves, and maybe even of all my moves besides the backward aerial move. It gets destroyed by people with disjointed hitwhatamajigs, so I should add that to my massive list of moves not to use on Metaknight. Anyway, that's about it.

From,
Luigi​

Page three: UTilt- Food Fight

Luigi's Opinion: :luigi2::luigi2::luigi2:.5

Dear Journal,

I remember learning this move when I was little and I used to throw Bowser's cookies at him when I was trapped and Mario and Yoshi came to save me. It's a great move. Since it's weak, I can chain them together at low percents really well. But mama mia! Mario's is better at juggling! Awww.... Oh well.... Well, at what it does, it's great. It can juggle characters like Snake and Dedede well, until around 40%. This attack is great to spam at low percents, and it has high priority that competes with that of a disjointed hitbox. Mario doesn't have any answer to that! I can follow up with a short hopped F-air or N-air, or use the U-tilt to follow up with a fast-falled N-air sourspot, a favorite combo of mine. When did I learn all this tourney vocab, anyway? It is also a HILARIOUS kill move when the enemy is around 200 if the move is fresh. Seriously though, the reason I don't love this move is the range. I've been like 6 inches from a guy, and I fling my invisible cookies, and he doesn't even move. While I helplessly fling, I get attacked. I don't have any weapons or very long body parts, so I am short on range; but this is plain ridiculous. Also, it's kind of easily telegraphed and is mediocre for a juggling move compared to other fighters. Still... it's cooler than Mario's.

From,
Luigi​

Page four: DTilt- Fail """UPDATED"""

Luigi's Opinion: :falcon: (LOL actually a :luigi2:.5)

Dear Journal,

Why did I learn this move...? It seems more appropriate on Captain Falcon than me. First of all, the kick's range is so small it's kind of funny... And it takes me a while to withdraw my foot. The move does mediocre damage and the opponent... doesn't go anywhere when I use it. So while my opponent is there pulling back his arms, ready to crash down on me, I can give them my "oh sh**" look while I take my time pulling my foot back. Of course, I wouldn't have learned it if there wasn't SOME benefit. First, it has a high tripping rate. Second, it's better than Mario's. That shows how much of a loser Mario is compared to me, for one thing. Third, it can lead into a classic UpB combo if it trips. Fourth, it has bad range, lag, speed, power, hitstun, and applications. Maybe I should replace it with a move that makes Mario show up and we can beat the enemy up together. Or maybe it's a move that seduces Daisy. Just a thought.
I'm just here to add something. I've actually found a use for this move. Everyone knows about the stylish D-Taunt-Aerial Up+B that I die trying to every game. Yet, there's an extreme mindgame trick with this move. After 100% damage, the enemy will go up a bit after getting hit by this. Then, in their confusion, give them an Up angled F-Smash! At their percentage, they should get killed. Also, you can go for an Up+B but it's a bit harder to do. Just saying.

From,
Luigi​

Page five: FSmash- Free Delivery

Dear Journal,

This move is incredible. Thank the stars for getting me that pizza delivery boy job when I was 15 and Mario was doing his plumbing internship... I had to protect myself with this move. Anyway, this move is amazing. I've always been a bit spastic, especially in my teenage years, so I learned to do this move on reaction. I'm a bit cowardly, so my reactions have always been really good... So this move is extremely fast. I usually threw my pizza at the enemy back then, so when I missed, I would have to quickly pull back my arm and run. That trait still stands... And for a move so fast on both ends, it's incredibly strong. Those Spinies never saw it coming! I simply can't think of anything bad about this move. Mario always tells me that my fingertips were blessed by the Star Spirits, so maybe that's why it's so strong. About Mario... My attack is much faster and it knocks out at about 25% before his does... But I've always been jealous of the range that his has. Mine barely goes anywhere, unless I angle it downwards. But angling it up is better for KO'ing and is a lot faster. I also started putting gel on my boots after that one incident where they were muddy... And I delivered pizza while sliding! Poor Toad never thought I would poke his Adam's apple, and neither did I... So I gave him the pizza for free and made sure to run away as fast as possible. Mario started calling that move "The Fingerbang," which adds a bit more range to the move. Mario's cool and everything, but his fire blast doesn't have anything on my chop! I always feel better when I know that I have such a good move!

From,
Luigi​

Page six: USmash- No Spine

Dear Journal,

I really like this attack. Since 2001, this move has changed a lot. First, it is a lot slower. But there ends the negatives. This move got a lot of training since the Melee competition. First, i sweep it all around me rather than just doing a simple headbutt. Second, I put my Thunderhand gloves in my hat, so if they get hit by the tip of my head, bye bye! Hoo hah hee heh hoo! Either way, this move has crazy killing power, and if I want to be a bit more hardcore, instead of consecutive U-Tilts I can repeatedly do these on heavy characters for huge damage! My Down Smash also leads into this move, which is especially useful against heavies like Bowser and Donkey Kong. If my Forward Smash won't cut it, I should deal some more damage and switch to this move silently... They won't expect the almighty smash of MY skull! Also, you're not winning any spotdodge wars with this one up my sleeve!... Or shirt... or something. Buffering with this move is incredible, because the windup is really the big disadvantage, because, I mean, I stretch back way farther than I should be able too... But who cares?! This move has range, power, speed, and applications! Not something I can brag to Mario about, because his is pretty much the same, but whatever! Chalk one up for the Mario Bros., then!

From,
Luigi​

Page seven: DSmash- Gettin' down

Luigi's Opinion: :luigi2::luigi2::luigi2:.5

Dear Journal,

This move is real simple. I do my supah gangsta waddup *** homeskillet fo'rizzles break dance, which starts up surprisingly fast (...I like to dance.) and lasts a few moments. The thing about this move that I don't like is that it doesn't really excel at anything. It kills at late percents, like 140. It's not as surprising as other D-Smashes, like Mario's. It's range isn't the best, yet something I like is my dance move, the supah gangsta waddup *** homeskillet fo'rizzles break dance TWO, which is the same but just done while sliding, and gets pretty good range; and not just for me. A whiffed D-Smash might not end well, either. There's one thing about this move, and that's the ever mysterious hitbox that makes the move function differently depending on where I hit them... Once we get some hard debug info, this move might become just that much m ore useful. But one thing I don't like is that it doesn't have that quality other D-Smashes have where people roll behind you at they get hit by the second strike, since it's too fast. But! It's not a bad move by any means, and also, it's the dance I learned in Brooklyn, so I can't just stop using it. NYC is the best.

From,
Luigi​

Page eight: NAir- The Win Button

Luigi's Opinion::luigi2::luigi2::luigi2::luigi2::luigi2:

Dear Journal,

This is it. The ultimate move. A sure contestant for one of the best aerials in the game, maybe even the best if you don't count that 2D LCD liquid guy that Mario and I hate so much. Professor E. Gadd made something for me, you know. A tiny remote that I attached to my wrist, concealed by my glove. "Whenever you're in danger..." he said, "Push the sole button on the remote. Everything will open itself up to you." To this day, I haven't forgotten these words. You know why? Because this move is freaking AWESOME. With a small curl of my hand, it sends a shock down to my leg and BAM! This comes out; though I can't do it myself, which explains why I need the button. First, it kills in the low hundreds. I mean, like 110. On heavies, like Dedegay, it'll still kill early. This thing is the definition of "revenge KO" and I can use it to end combos, START combos, deal damage, break enemy combos on me, break Falco's CG on me, to kill, to retreat, and to approach. A move so good would HAVE to be slow, right? WAH to your throat if you say that! This move comes out just about the instant I press the button! The priority is godly too! I can eat Din's Fire for breakfast and even Marth's sword might have trouble! The only problem is the range, but even then it isn't too shabby! What do you know?! There is a God!!

From,
Luigi​

Page nine: FAir- The Holy Judo Chop

Luigi's Opinion: :luigi2::luigi2::luigi2:

Dear Journal,

Gah! I forgot to train this move since the Melee event! I'm not sure I like what's happened... But oh well. It's still great. First, it's way weaker. It kills at like 200 now; yet this is also the biggest positive. I can chain these together so much it's ridiculous, doing over 40 damage at times with one chain, and because of the knockback negation it's even better. Yet, this move's biggest problem is it's range, which, to be honest, is awful. While it's extremely fast, the range makes D-Air or U-Air often a better choice, and so that itself makes this move not a favorite of mine.

From,
Luigi​

Page ten: UAir- Hawt

Luigi's Opinion: :luigi2: :luigi2: :luigi2:

Dear Journal,

Ahhhh, the Up air. This move is very similar to the F-Air, actually. The ability to chain and gimp with this move is crazy, especially the chains. I can combo with these and follow it with a F-Air, F-Air chain, D-Air or B-Air. Almost anything, really. I also like to use it to gimp and kill off the top when I am up, even though it's impractical (After a rising tornado, of course, but still.). In the end this is still an alright move, better than the F-Air. I give it a 3 instead of a 2.5 because it lets me show Daisy my super sexy legs.

...God I'm lonely.

From,
Luigi​

Page eleven: DAir- Mario got jealous

Luigi's Opinion: :luigi2: :luigi2: :luigi2: :luigi2: :luigi2:

Dear Journal,

I think Mario got a bit jealous. He used to use this move too, but then, mine was way better. Maybe that's why I found toothpaste in my boots... Well, ok. This move is amazing. Just, amazing. This move, like the N-Air, is usable in any situation. This and the B-Air are my best approach options. A friend told me that it has more priority than the N-Air (what?!) if I can find a way to use it from directly above the enemy. It's a good retreat move, and it's perfect for shutting down ledgehoppers. It's a competent edgeguard too. The range is better than most of my other moves, and did I mention it has a spike? Even better, it's actually a tiny bit stronger than Mario's F-Air spike! Hah!... Who am I kidding... It may be a bit stronger as a spike, but not even I know how the hell to spike with it. Some of my buddies in SmashbToad Town are trying to figure it out, but, like the D-Smash, I'm going to need some serious hitbox data to figure it out. Another D-Smash similarity is that this attack is just plain weird. Sometimes it launches them straight and is as strong as it was in the days of Melee... other times, they fly up and won't die until higher percentages. However, though D-Smash and D-Air both have undiscovered potential, there's one big difference- there are drawbacks to D-Smash, but not to this move. The starting lag isn't even that bad. I just have to keep in mind, that unlike Mario, this a combo ender, not starter, and that there's no way I can go on without this move.

...Stupid toothpaste...

From,
Luigi​

Page twelve: BAir- GTFO my face

Dear Diary,

HOO HAH HEE HEH HOO! This move is incredible! I can do almost anything with this move and along with my D-Air, Fireball and F-Air, is my best approach. Back in the Melee event, I didn't train this move much. It was nothing com pared to my F-Air. Seems like I spent less time practicing with F-Air and m ore with this. I'm so glad that the brawl progr the Master in the Toad Town Dojo got me to start working on this move. (Mario kept bragging about how I got killed against the Master more than he did. Ugh.) This move spaces, does good damage, can wall-of-pain, can stage-spike, (Boy do I love doing that) combos fairly well, gimps, and can approach well with a reverse aerial! Boy that is a lot of stuff! Maybe Mario's B-Air would be as useful as mine if his legs were a bit longer... (I got my mom's legs =) ) But his is still good. We crush with B-Air spam together in teams. I would be completely terrible without this move, and diary, don't tell Mario, but sometimes I have nightmares of what would happen if I lost my amazing B-Air. *shudder* Without it, I probably wouldn't even be able to beat Chan back in the dojo! And that'd just be sad.

By the way, the other day, some guy told me I still hadn't payed my bills for the kart I destroyed during my adventure in the Waffle Kingdom. I B-Air'd him and cut down the pipe to my house.

P.S. Crap, Mario isn't home.

From,
Luigi​

Page thirteen: B

Page fourteen: Side-B
Page fifteen: Down-B
Page sixteen: Up-B
Page seventeen: Grab series
Page eighteen: Misc.

Page 10 written by crewster and edited by myself
Page 12 written by Magnumblade and edited by myself

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
For my opinion, I'd say that Luigi's Jab series is pivotal to his game. The jab can lead into almost any move, and is reliable for setting up a D-Smash or any of your tilts. Jab canceling is also great with Luigi.

WIGI

Smash Champion
jab canceles are great to do, especialy against walls like corneria and stuff. jab cancles make it so they don;t know when the up b or fsmash is really coming. good for damadge too.

jab jab ftilt or jab jab grab is better for damadge unless your in desperate need to get them away from you for a second to catch your breath or w.e, still grabiing and bthrowing to give you space would be better.

you can jab cancel into dtilt trips too.

uhmmm yeah, jab comes out very fast and is alos good after buffering an ariel.

thats abotu all i gots so far. as disjointed as my post is.

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
God. That post is as disjointed as the Gayman's B-Air. But good input. I'm a fan of the Jab>Jab>F-Tilt myself. It makes the move a generic PPK, at that. ._.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
From the Luigi Tech, Strat and Setup Discussion Thread:

Locuan said:
1) Jab Cancelling and it’s possibilities:

First of all, I think we all know what jab cancelling is right? I’m not talking about the jab>jab>grab that many people do with other chars. The jab Cancelling I’m talking about is the jab>crouch>jab>crouch> repeat. This makes the jab come out way faster than just doing jab wait for a sec then jab again were opponents can evade, dodge, short hop etc. This can be done quite quickly and the crouch as you can see by the setup cancels the other jab that might come out of the AAA combo and restart with the initial jab. Now it sounds like a relatively slow process but I first came across it on InphiEphe’s youtube channel were he describes the jab cancelling advantages for Lucario and I was amazed. So by seeing that I thought why not try that with Luigi and see what I can come up with? And so I did and I discovered some interesting setups. You can also do jab>jab>crouch>jab>jab>crouch etc. (no hip) NOTE: It can be power shielded at times but it is still and amazing tech and sets up for some amazing things.

For those who are still doubting what the Jab cancel is you can see InphiEphe’s vid “this n that” were he uses it with Lucario:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=v_lJn1f0Egw

You can also see it in action were Virtual Void does it pretty much @ 0:12-0:15 in this match:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=odgSOi2jda4

Ok on to the setups :D:

- First as you know you can do jab>crouch>jab>crouch> repeat etc. (from now on I will refer to this process as jab cancel and avoid typing all that stuff above.) The Jab Jab cancel is basically AA>crouch so when you see that I say Jab Jab cancel I mean AA>crouch.

- You can also:

a) Jab cancel into a AAA combo

b) Jab cancel into a Ftilt

c) Jab cancel into a Dtilt (note I will go in depth with this a bit later)

d) Jab cancel into a Dsmash.

e) Jab Jab cancel into AAA

f) Jab Jab cancel inot a Ftilt

g) Jab Jab cancel into a Dtilt

h) Jab Jab cancel into a Dsmash

And many others, (I haven’t tested it with all the moves Luigi has but they have awesome potential.)

- Ok now we all love upB and now this is where the jab cancel into Dtilt or Jab Jab cancel into Dtilt comes in. Now remember for this to work you have to make sure your Dtilt trips and as soon as that happens your upB is a surefire hit. So then you would have an amazing setup Jab cancel into a Dtilt>trip>upB or Jab Jab cancel into a Dtilt>trip>upB.

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
Locuan, I love your sig. You're... Puerto Rican, right? Also, just one more thing, Hippie and I use this a lot, it's the jab>grab>dthrow>SHDair. cr4sh said that if it spikes, go for a fastfall>UpB.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
Locuan, I love your sig. You're... Puerto Rican, right? Also, just one more thing, Hippie and I use this a lot, it's the jab>grab>dthrow>SHDair. cr4sh said that if it spikes, go for a fastfall>UpB.
You'd have to be pretty lucky for that to land, my enemies bounce away after the dthrow by either jumping or airdodging, so i rarely get much by pursuing them. Instead, I wait for them to airdodge and then proceed to airchase them. Speaking of grabs....

Jab Grab Jab Grab Jab Grab. For an added bonus, buffer the jab grab :]. People get paranoid when Luigi comes within Shoryuken range so you can almost always get a grab in.

Locuan pretty much killed it with the excerpt from his guide though :p, really the only new thing to bring to light is the buffering of jabs...but even that's old news for most.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Everything about jab cancelling is going to be covered... so... what I will say is that jab is great for punishing spot dodgers, because if you follow through with the entire AAA you will hit them right after their spot dodge with one of the jabs. The jabs are just too fast for the spot dodger to hit you after the dodge is over.

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
Uh, well, we have a lot of information, so we should start giving it a nickname.

My friends call it the "Buttcrack."

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Answering your first question yes.

Second, the up-B will only hit at low percentiles, (this is because at low percentiles (after the spike) opponents won't be able to tech it.) Therefore don't expect this working after 40% or so. Well anyways people won't expect the spike normally so if it does spike try to catch them off guard. The times I've been able to pull of the spike I prefer doing nair which sweetspot's and @ high % (120's?) (after a spike) it means KO. Although this does not necessarily mean it needs to be after jab's.

Either way I prefer:

jab>dgrab>Uair (can string to other things at lower percents at high percent's that's the most and at times only jab>dgrab with good DI.) I don't know, it doesn't get that much damage but it's safer; meaning there's a smaller chance for your opponent to escape and you can keep the pressure going.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
Delta, I'll add this thread to the TOC, do you want to make up a description for thread, have me use the paragraph at the start of your thread, or make my own up?

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
Put your own description. Also, even though it's only been two days, we've said everything we can, really, about the Jab Series. I'll start the new rotation.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
you should update the info on jabs then on front page.

anyways ftilt is sexy

+ Semi ftilt lock
+ moderate knockback
+ moderate damage
+ spacer
+ nice followups
+ can be angled
+ nice range

- Slight ending lag,
- can be ***** by others who have disjointed hitboxes

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
Luigi wrote in his journal just now. Tell him if there's anything he forgot to add.

I personally love the Jab jab F-Tilt, and I've been practicing my F-Tilt lock. I'm pretty sure it's his best ranged ground move, at decent percents, it's good for spacing (NEVER at low!) and at higher ones it's a nice alternative to the F-Smash because it can kill. It's hilarious when it kills. And, I call it "The boot."

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Sounds more like a diary to me. And Luigi is Italian... so once in a while he should'a give it'eh da accent'o, mama mia! Just for the kicks, but not overdone.

Onto the fTilt.... I hate it! I hate it with a passion!! You can't follow up with anything. It's a piss poor excuse of an attack that leaves you with more lag than the guy you just kicked with it. The only thing it can do is push them back. Luigi's better off retreating and finding a way to get closer to Jab instead. The semi-lock is a joke, too. A paraplegic cucumber can escape Luigi's fTilt semi-lock! Luigi literlly has better attacks coming from his butt cheeks.

Peace.

EDIT: Wow, elheber. You've shown your true colors. Not one thing in this post was positive. The first sentence was supposed to be a joke, but instead it makes the rest of the post sound like a complaint. I like this thread, and the idea of making it into Luigi's Journal is brilliant. Let's put some Peach and/or Daisy action in here when we get the time.

EDIT2: PS. I really really hate the fTilt. That part was a complaint.

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
...Are you talking in the third person?

And also, as it is based off of Paper Mario, I'm going with the smart Luigi who is jealous of Mario and is trying to be more heroic. And yes, I am brilliant. (lol modesty)

Good lord, though. First, LEARN to do the lock. If you have the timing to do a new F-Tilt the frame the old one ends, (I can, but I can't do it in a match) you will quickly throw out a new one that makes the F-Tilt look fast. Don't use it at a low %, elheber; Half charged smash attack>SHFair>>Luigi's F-Tilt. The F-Tilt is actually amazing for spacing as it comes out of nowhere and the opponent will be sent flying. At around 180, it kills, so take advantage of that. It's a safe option for killing; the lag is only bad in comparison to his other moves, not in general, and it starts up fast and has WinRAR Luigi range.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Lol awesome journal entry format.

10000000000000000000000000000000lolz.

F-tilt, meh, I rarely use it and mostly for spacing purposes.

EDIT: Although, if you get an opponent who hasn't teched properly you can semi-ftilt lock him/her.

Down-angled ftilt too situational but it could happen. 50% anyone?

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Honestly I love his Ftilt. It isn't meant to be used to begin combos or anything, but to follow things up where nothing else seems to work. I do this at mid percents after a Bair a ton. It has good enough knockback to give you a little breathing room too.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
Throw Ftilts in place of Jabs sometimes to mix things up, @ Hippie, who gets semi-locked by it? I've never done that before.

All this talk about Luigi's diary makes me want to play Paper Mario again.

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
I know, I started my second playthrough the other day. Love it like I love my porn homework. (jk) Paper Mario 2 was best though.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Throw Ftilts in place of Jabs sometimes to mix things up, @ Hippie, who gets semi-locked by it? I've never done that before.

All this talk about Luigi's diary makes me want to play Paper Mario again.
Locuan said:
Semi F-tilt Lock
An in depth look​

So I've been investigating one of SamuraiPanda's discoveries. If you remember this part of his thread "3 Discoveries by SamuraiPanda":

SamuraiPanda said:
I played around with Luigi last night and discovered a few new things with him that surprised me. First was something that I'm sure is common knowledge to Luigi players, but I decided to include it anyways: Luigi's downwards Ftilt has strange properties, almost like Zelda's Dtilt. After some experimentation, I think it can work as a "jab" lock (like the laser lock but where you jab, walk forward, jab, etc.) but I apparently don't have the dexterity to pull it off consistently.

NOTE: The f-tilt has to be angled downwards.

When I started investigating the matter, it's more of a Semi Lock than a full "Jab" lock.

-Why a Semi F-tilt Lock and not an F-tilt Lock?

This is because for a full lock to work you would have to walk>F-tilt>rinse a repeat. The problem is that the speed at which the F-tilt comes out is to slow. Thus, the opponent would be able to escape the lock fairly easily.

-Then if an F-tilt Lock can be escaped how does the Semi F-tilt work?

Well the Semi F-tilt's work because as soon as the opponent is on the ground (in the manner that locks work) you can hit them with the down angled f-tilt about 4-5 times depending on the size of your opponent.

I did three tests, one with DK in which I could hit him five times without any problems.

One with Mario were depending on the distance when I started the Semi Lock I could get 4-5 hits.

I did another test with Kirby were I could get 4 hits and occasionally 5.

-So how do I perform it?

Simple as soon as the opponent falls to the ground, without teching, get close to them and then hit them with the down-angled F-tilt. Hit them about 5 times, (that's probably the most amount of hits you can do against an opponent depending on the spacing you used on your opponent.)

-It's kinda useless I mean why would I use it? It doesn't allow me to Lock through the whole stage so why would I want to know this?

You won't be able to lock across the whole stage like other characters can, (at least with the F-tilt, I will be trying other moves to see if I can perform a full lock.) Remember that when you hit with an F-tilt it is a guaranteed 10% of damage. So if you are able to get them in a Semi-Lock and connect four or five successful hits it's a guaranteed 40-50%

-I kinda don't mind cause I can get that percentage with aerials.

Well that is true but only when the opponent is at low percents. If you catch an opponent that falls and does not tech you can hit them with the Semi-Lock at any percentages and it will still guarantee your 40-50%.

It also allows for setups as you can stop the lock in between the five hits and perform a D-tilt for example (I have to research the setups a bit more I will post them here and in my Setup Discussion thread later.)

Well this is what my latest testing has discovered and I hope you enjoy this as much as I do lol. And I will be looking to implement this into my game as fast as I can.

Any questions or doubt's that you might have on the semi-lock feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer you.
Come on Alias you have the Luigi Boards table of contents and you haven't read the Luigi strat and setup discussion thread... :dizzy: :p

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
Come on Alias you have the Luigi Boards table of contents and you haven't read the Luigi strat and setup discussion thread... :dizzy: :p
o_O I forgot. I read that a while ago and it must have slipped my mind....^_^. If its any consolation, I understand how to do this cause of you locuan =D. Don't shoryuken me to the face T_T.

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
...It is a 3 day rotation, but our boards are too experienced with this stuff. I'll shorten it to 2, and I'm moving on. Know, though, that this means we have less time to give input.

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
Anyway, U-Tilt. It owns. At low percents, it juggles very well. Not as good as Mario's. At higher, it launches them into the air, where Luigi owns. Fast. Anything else?

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
U-Tilt is a keel move when fresh and at High Percents, but that only happens when revenge kill, cause it is spammed so much. Covers all parts of Luigi's head, even behind.

Eten

Smash Ace
U-tilt has really good priority. Will clash with most other moves. stops snakes tilts, Marth's Fsmash, Sonic's beginning part of his down-b spin dash or whatever, etc.

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
U-Tilt kills are hilarious. Also, spam this move a lot, so when you juggle, the stale move negation garbage will send them up less, letting you spam it a bit more. Just a note, Sheik, Fox, and Mario's U-Tilt juggles are way better. One more thing, you think there's any notes I have to add to the F-Tilt?

PKNintendo

Smash Master
I actually honest to god, love this topic. Don't let it die. (and keep the charm, it actually feels like Im reading Luigi's journal)

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
Uh... thanks. I didn't think the whole journal thing would be liked, but everyone here seems to be fangasming over it. All over it.

Eten

Smash Ace
Psh, Shiek has a good utilt but it doesn't juggle like Luigi's, it can combo into itself once on a fast faller at near 0%. Ftilt lock is different. Luigi's utilt is on par with Fox's/Mario's, little more ending lag, but it covers more area than either.

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
Ah, so it's her F-Tilt? That's what I meant, then. Also, don't even compare Fox's/Mario's to Luigi's. They juggle way more. Luigi's has better range though, and it's faster. You can also follow up with a SHfnAir. So much fun, and it's so unexpected.

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
That's what I used to do, but it's easily telegraphed. It is an option though, if you mix it up; it'll be harder to predict.

Top Bottom