• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi Buffs in Version 1.04

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412
I've heard that Luigi has received some damage buffs for fsmash, fair and jab combo. Can anyone confirm this? He feels a little less slippery to me in the few matches I have played in this version. Would love to hear good things confirmed! Hopefully someone still has version 1.03.

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412
One person wrote:

Luigis jab, fair and fsmash have gottene damage buffs. Fair used to do 7 now it does 9, fsmash did 19 fully charged and now does 21, and his jab combo does 10% as opposed to 8 as for sonic it feels like his utilt has less cooldown, and uair KOs more consistently off the top above 120, dash attack feels the same though.

I asked someone to confirm this and here's what they said:

Fair info is false (Always did 9%), Fsmash info is true, Jab info is false (Always did 10%).

Tuxdude

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1908-0573-2312
I agree with you, fair and jab is unchanged. charged fsmash is buffed, though the uncharged one is 15% like before. Some characters (like MK) got more knockback togheter with dmg increase on their moves, can anyone check if that is true for Luigi Fsmash aswell?

Last edited:

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
In 1.0.3 training mode, Fsmash (middle angle) produces black lightning (not necessarily killing, depending on VI) against Mario from reset positions on final destination when both characters are at 76%

Black lightning:
Angled up = 71%
Angled down = 64%

Someone with 1.0.4 should check if these percentages are the same.

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
I can't completely confirm this yet or not but it appears that luigis aerial up-b hitbox has increased too. Lucina was a chaacter I struggled to d-throw up-b with even in training mode and I've yet to miss it so far.

Tuxdude

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1908-0573-2312
Did the same test as Pazx in the 1.04 training mode.

Charged Fsmash produces black lighning at:
middle angle 67%
up angle 64%
down angle 57%

In comparison here is uncharged Fsmash:
middle angle 102%
up angle 99%
down angle 91%

Could you check uncharged on your version too Pazx?

Last edited:

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Did the same test as Pazx in the 1.04 training mode.

Charged Fsmash produces black lighning at:
middle angle 67%
up angle 64%
down angle 57%

In comparison here is uncharged Fsmash:
middle angle 102%
up angle 99%
down angle 91%

Could you check uncharged on your version too Pazx?
Middle: 115%
Up: 108%
Down: 98%

That's quite a buff, really.

@ Xzsmmc Xzsmmc I'm getting kills at 70-71% in 1.0.3 with SJP and lightning at 71% (mario on FD) so I don't think that was buffed

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I'm REALLY hoping Luigi gets knockback buffs on his moves too. He doesn't need damage buffs, his combos do that for him. Knockback is critical, especially on smashes. Also no word on recovery. So unless these come into play...I'm not impressed so far with the buffs :/

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
You may have been using the aerial version of the move which seemingly has less kill potential
yes but you can hit confirm it from a d-throw. lucinas hurtbox has always made it hard for me to connect an aerial upb even in training mode (1 every 10 tries) but I've had no problem so far hitting it

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
I'm REALLY hoping Luigi gets knockback buffs on his moves too. He doesn't need damage buffs, his combos do that for him. Knockback is critical, especially on smashes. Also no word on recovery. So unless these come into play...I'm not impressed so far with the buffs :/
Forward smash kills around 10% earlier.

Tuxdude

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1908-0573-2312
Haha thats fantastic! Here is the differences side by side.

The % black lightning occurs against Mario in training mode from the reset position on FD in 1.04:
(1.03 in parentheses)

Uncharged
Fsmash
Middle angle: 102% (115%)
Up angle: 99% (108%)
Down angle: 91% (98%)

Charged Fsmash
Middle angle: 67% (76%)
Up angle: 64% (71%)
Down angle: 57% (64%)

Last edited:

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
His up b hit box definitely feels better. I think that's a huge buff making it more reliable and killing at early percents from a grab.

EDIT: Not saying its a fact just my impression. Nintendo needs to release patch notes

Last edited:

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412

The % black lightning occurs against Mario in training mode from the reset position on FD in 1.04:
(1.03 in parentheses)
Uncharged Fsmash

Charged Fsmash
This made my day. My favorite kill move is back.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Apparently according to gamefaqs, Luigi may have gotten more distance again on his up b.

(1.03 in parentheses)
Uncharged Fsmash

Charged Fsmash

Wait, so down angled F smash kills the earliest if I'm reading right?

Wow. 57% fully charged is pretty impresive. The gap between that and a non charged smash for % kill seems pretty big though, by a whole 35+%

Last edited:

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
The Fireball feels like it travels faster to me, but it could just all be in my head. Anyone have the same feeling?

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
A buffed f-smash is what I wanted the most (besides more vertical recovery), so I'm pleased :p 10% is okay, not Brawl-strong, but I'll take any improvement.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
So far, the only CONFIRMED change is a buffed F smash. I'm not sure if everything else is in our heads.

If this is the only buff Luigi got...we're still screwed lol.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
So far, the only CONFIRMED change is a buffed F smash. I'm not sure if everything else is in our heads.

If this is the only buff Luigi got...we're still screwed lol.
How are we screwed? Not many characters get guaranteed kill set ups off grabs at ~80-90%, DI or otherwise.

I would love to have tons of unnecessary buffs for all my mains, but Luigi is doing fine right now as is.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
How are we screwed? Not many characters get guaranteed kill set ups off grabs at ~80-90%, DI or otherwise.

I would love to have tons of unnecessary buffs for all my mains, but Luigi is doing fine right now as is.
I still think Luigi would be perfectly balanced if he got his Brawl recovery cyclone, green missile priority increase, and nair power back. I was hoping those buffs would have happened this patch.

That, and characters like Megaman received several buffs. Luigi receiving one just feels unfair.

Last edited:

Tuxdude

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1908-0573-2312
Apparently according to gamefaqs, Luigi may have gotten more distance again on his up b.

Wait, so down angled F smash kills the earliest if I'm reading right?

Wow. 57% fully charged is pretty impresive. The gap between that and a non charged smash for % kill seems pretty big though, by a whole 35+%
you read it right, it sends the victim at a lower trajectory and KO`s of the side. note than i did this test near the edge of FD. So when getting closer to the center of the stage, up angled Fsmash is better as it KO`s at the top. fully charged it actually KO`s earlier than SJP o_O.

But still guys, we can KO middleweights at 99% anywhere on the stage with an uncharged up angled Fsmash, and that`s before rage. seems like Luigi got one of his wild card skills back.

Would have loved to see some recovery buffs (like an upB that would go higher when used used in the air than on the ground, kinda reversed from little mac`s upB.) Atleast this is something, and I always welcome better KO moves for weegee. ^^

Last edited:

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
you read it right, it sends the victim at a lower trajectory and KO`s of the side. note than i did this test near the edge of FD. So when getting closer to the center of the stage, up angled Fsmash is better as it KO`s at the top. fully charged it actually KO`s earlier than SJP o_O.

But still guys, we can KO middleweights at 99% anywhere on the stage with an uncharged up angled Fsmash, and that`s before rage. seems like Luigi got one of his wild card skills back.

Would have loved to see some recovery buffs (like an upB that would go higher when used used in the air than on the ground, kinda reversed from little mac`s upB.) Atleast this is something, and I always welcome better KO moves for weegee. ^^
So...remember to down angle your smashes now? Boy, I'm not going to get used to that.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
I still think Luigi would be perfectly balanced if he got his Brawl recovery cyclone, green missile priority increase, and nair power back. I was hoping those buffs would have happened this patch.

That, and characters like Megaman received several buffs. Luigi receiving one just feels unfair.
Brawl cyclone would be nice, but I don't think it's necessary given this game's more forgiving ledge mechanics. That plus the verdict is still out on how effective regular cyclone is with a legitimate controller. Personally I think people lose sight of how his recovery is significantly less ****ty than Mario or Doc. I think he's got a few options that make his recovery less predictable than people think. DJ fireball, DJ cyclone, early DJ cyclone to get way above the stage. You have to keep the opponent guessing on how you recover, because if he gets hit out of his double jump...THEN his recovery is really ****ty. But that holds true for quite a few characters.

Green missile priority...meh. I mean do you really see it improving the viability of that move outside of recovery? Even if they made it beat every move in the game, it would still need to be a misfire to be of any use. To be a useful move outside of recovery it would really need a complete overhaul. I say screw priority and make it a poltergust or ghost summon move lol :/

NAir kill power is...okaaay when fresh. In my mind it's better as a combo starter and get off me move though.

I think in general it can be toxic if you start looking at everybody's buffs and compare them to what you got. Distracts from focusing on your character as a whole and what they excel at.

Last edited:

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
Even though I want to agree with you, I find myself way more easily gimped than in Brawl :( Maybe I haven't properly adjusted, though. Otherwise I'm fine with Luigi, he remains as fun as ever and as time passes, I'm finding that we don't have downright unwinnable match-ups like in Brawl (not to say we don't have bad ones! but nothing really like Brawl's MetaKnight, for example). It speaks volumes of Brawl's balance when Luigi gets nerfed, but overall seems more viable now, lol.

Last edited:

Folt

Smash Ace
The Fireball feels like it travels faster to me, but it could just all be in my head. Anyone have the same feeling?
Yes. It feels much faster than before, but I don't know if it's just me or if it really got a speed buff.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Even though I want to agree with you, I find myself way more easily gimped than in Brawl :( Maybe I haven't properly adjusted, though. Otherwise I'm fine with Luigi, he remains as fun as ever and as time passes, I'm finding that we don't have downright unwinnable match-ups like in Brawl (not to say we don't have bad ones! but nothing really like Brawl's MetaKnight, for example). It speaks volumes of Brawl's balance when Luigi gets nerfed, but overall seems more viable now, lol.
Don't get my wrong, I don't think his recovery is spectacular. I would hesitate to even call it mid-tier. He has one glaring weakness in that he reeeeally depends on his his double jump.

But I think he has a really good double jump, and a lot of ways to mix it up. You just have to mix it up like you would any aspect of your game to avoid being predictable.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Yes. It feels much faster than before, but I don't know if it's just me or if it really got a speed buff.
I could swear for like a second today online it seemed faster...but I think again, our imaginations are running wild on everything but the F smash.

Folt

Smash Ace
We need some frame data on the pre 1.0.4 Fireball and the 1.0.3 Fireball, don't we?

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
Angling fsmash up for earlier kills has been a thing since Brawl actually. It's the trump card up Luigi's sleeve.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Angling fsmash up for earlier kills has been a thing since Brawl actually. It's the trump card up Luigi's sleeve.
Of course. Just that in this game apparently angling it DOWN kills earlier than angling it UP , which is new.

Wa_Black

Smash Apprentice
I'm happy that f smash got buffed, but they need to take the invincibility off upb and give it to something else like missile, tornado, upsmash, or forward smash.

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
The f smash buff is nice, and from what it seems, it kills a lot earlier now.

Top Bottom