• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi Buffs in Version 1.04

Donyoku

Greed
I for one am just ultimately glad about two main things. One Nintendo is releasing actual patches to help with matchup balance. Two that Luigi actually received one. Normally I felt like Luigi would not be not be receiving buffs since he is normally under looked. However, this update showed me that everyone is getting looked over a little. Only bad thing I hated was they took out DACUS which is a useful AT in competitive play and I really don't see it hurt competitive or casual play.

Anyways, glad some of the statements about buffs were true, doesn't hurt for Luigi to get back some of his surprise kill factors, plus FSmash is really quick despite it short range, so giving it more power and knockback is fine with me.

Donyoku

Greed
does anyone know if these patches are going to be implemented on to the wii u version as well?
I would assume so since they can release all the patches they've done on the launch date of Sm4sh Wii U and people would just download it. But of course that's only an assumption, based on the fact they said they wanted the games to play similar for the most part.

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
From Thinkaman's Frame Data and Hitbox Values for Every Character (WIP) thread:

F-smash release (high)
Max Hitbox BKB: 121
F-smash release (normal)
Max Hitbox BKB: 116
F-smash release (low)
Max Hitbox BKB: 117

And taken from Thinkaman's post in the Community Patch Notes v1.0.4 -- Engine Changes to DI thread.

:4luigi:
F-smash damage 14 -> 15
D-smash back hit angle 70 -> 60, base knockback 80 -> 100
Fair hitbox size 4.8 -> 5.6
subaction 242 hitbox size 1.6 -> 1.7, z-pos 6.1 -> 7.0 (whatever it is, it does 25% at a 88 angle)
subaction 246 hitbox size 2.1 -> 2.2, z-pos 4.7 -> 5.5 (whatever it is, it does 20% at a 90 angle)

So, we already knew about fsmash being buffed and angling it up, but it also looks like dsmash got buffed, too. Not only that, fair has a bigger hitbox. The post right after (by Terotrous) suggests that the subactions are probably SJP (what else could it be?), which would mean the sweetspots have gotten a bit bigger! Luigi didn't get drastic changes, but he was buffed more than we thought.

EDIT: ItsRainingGravy posted the hex values converted into decimal values for easier reading so I edited them in here in case any Luigi mains miss his post.

Last edited:

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
I knew it! I knew it felt easier to connect thats a really good change and makes d-throw up b more reliable if you count the nerf to vertical vectoring as well. F-air hit box change is definitely a welcome for better aerial approach and dsmash can be a more reliable kill move.

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Neat! Is there also frames for fireballs in the new patch too? I don't care much for D smash because It's my least used, but liking the increased hitboxes for SJP very much.

crashbfan

Banned via Warnings
NNID
3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
tbh, Luigi needed a shulk buff. That is, 1% damage increase to a bit of his moves. It's only fair since they nerfed pretty much all of Luigi's damage from Brawl. Even if they did that, he still wouldn't even be better than mario, though :/

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
tbh, Luigi needed a shulk buff. That is, 1% damage increase to a bit of his moves. It's only fair since they nerfed pretty much all of Luigi's damage from Brawl. Even if they did that, he still wouldn't even be better than mario, though :/
I don't think Luigi needed a drastic buff, honestly. I've never felt like he was too weak or under powered in any match up except when I was new to match ups. When I lose it's because I was outplayed, not because my character sucks (or lag >=|). Buffs to recovery and faster lateral speed would be nice, but I think Luigi is damn solid anyway.

Mario plays very differently and the meta is still a baby, so it's way too early to say which plumber is better. But uh... Luigi does rank higher than Mario in both Melee and Brawl tier lists, so, you know, don't be salty if it happens again ; ).

Last edited:

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I don't think Luigi needed a drastic buff, honestly. I've never felt like he was too weak or under powered in any match up except when I was new to match ups. When I lose it's because I was outplayed, not because my character sucks (or lag >=|). Buffs to recovery and faster lateral speed would be nice, but I think Luigi is damn solid anyway.

Mario plays very differently and the meta is still a baby, so it's way too early to say which plumber is better. But uh... Luigi does rank higher than Mario in both Melee and Brawl tier lists, so, you know, don't be salty if it happens again ; ).
No kidding, all I ever see this guy do is rag on how bad Luigi is :p.

But yeah, a nice Shulk or Ike or MK style buff all around would be cool [Sakurai sword bias confirmed].

The single solitary reason why Mario is better than Luigi this time around is movement speed. That's it, so I would put Mario one spot above Luigi for that reason.

L∈O

Smash Journeyman

Yeah, but Mario was buffed as hell in SSB4, while Luigi wasn't, despite deserting it too...

I know the metagame is still pretty undeveloped, but I guess that as time progresses, the buffs I've said would be vital to make Luigi a solid char, 'cause I'm doubting of it, getting worried...

I'm praying for him to be at least Mid-Tier...

If he's lower than this, I might not even get into SSB4's scene...

Last edited:

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
The only way the character is going to get respect is if players grind hard and MAKE Luigi a character to be feared.

You had guys like Ka-Master, Eddie Mexico, and Abate doing amazing things in Melee. You had guys like Boss and Biglou in Brawl, along with strong showings from ConCon and YoshQ.

This character, like all the other underplayed ones, has loads of potential. Probably not high tier, but he has the potential to shake the metagame up, like he has in previous games. It just requires knowing he plays VERY differently from Brawl. Learn his new strengths, accept his new weaknesses, and incorporate old Brawl tricks that still work. Fireball reset --> Firepunch = too good!

With the Wii U version out, competitive play for this game will really take off. The game is young, if you want Luigi to be considered a good character, you'll have to BE the Luigi who discovers what makes him amazing :)

Folt

Smash Ace

F-smash release (high)
F-smash release (normal)
F-smash release (low)

And taken from Thinkaman's post in the Community Patch Notes v1.0.4 -- Engine Changes to DI thread.

F-smash damage 14 -> 15
subaction 242 hitbox size 1.6 -> 1.7, z-pos 6.1 -> 7.0 (whatever it is, it does 25% at a 88 angle)
subaction 246 hitbox size 2.1 -> 2.2, z-pos 4.7 -> 5.5 (whatever it is, it does 20% at a 90 angle)

So, we already knew about fsmash being buffed and angling it up, but it also looks like dsmash got buffed, too. Not only that, fair has a bigger hitbox. The post right after (by Terotrous) suggests that the subactions are probably SJP (what else could it be?), which would mean the sweetspots have gotten a bit bigger! Luigi didn't get drastic changes, but he was buffed more than we thought.

EDIT: ItsRainingGravy posted the hex values converted into decimal values for easier reading so I edited them in here in case any Luigi mains miss his post.
Any word on his fireballs? Were their speed buffed, or where they always this fast?

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412
The only way the character is going to get respect is if players grind hard and MAKE Luigi a character to be feared.

You had guys like Ka-Master, Eddie Mexico, and Abate doing amazing things in Melee. You had guys like Boss and Biglou in Brawl, along with strong showings from ConCon and YoshQ.

This character, like all the other underplayed ones, has loads of potential. Probably not high tier, but he has the potential to shake the metagame up, like he has in previous games. It just requires knowing he plays VERY differently from Brawl. Learn his new strengths, accept his new weaknesses, and incorporate old Brawl tricks that still work. Fireball reset --> Firepunch = too good!

With the Wii U version out, competitive play for this game will really take off. The game is young, if you want Luigi to be considered a good character, you'll have to BE the Luigi who discovers what makes him amazing :)
I couldn't agree with you more. What makes a character a viable threat at a tournament is when enough of the Luigi community elevates their play and make a splash at tournaments. People are always surprised when they get beat by my Luigi... That's the response you want!

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005

F-smash release (high)
F-smash release (normal)
F-smash release (low)

F-smash damage 14 -> 15

Yeah, it clearly is Fire Jump Punch, grounded FJP does 25% and aerial does 20%

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
I'm working on tech as much as possible and the removal (or nerf) to vectoring has opened up more consistent oppurtunities. I'll be working on setups that are possible on each stage and share with you guys when i'm finished.

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace

THIS right here. I can't agree more with this. Very well said, Zhao.

And yeah guys, lab with Luigi as much as you can. I really think this character can get the job done to place high in nationals (top 5 even). For those Luigi mains going to Apex, train the ever living hell out of your character. Learn what combos into what, try to see what percents his attacks kill, the best situations for SJP, etc, etc. Try to learn the character inside and out and play against people who main really good characters like diddy kong, ZSS, greninja, rosalina, etc (since these characters will be mainly used in tourneys). I don't think Luigi has any impossible matchups in this game, so there's no reason to really give up.

I'm still hoping that the gcc's will fix his recovery to make it more like brawl, because mashing in general with that controller is MUCH easier. Luigi's air mobility being slow won't really be fixed, and it always has been slow in every smash game, but that's a weakness we have to accept. It'll be tough, but I think this character can really surprise people.

Last edited:

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Indeed. I'm perfectly ok with Luigi's lack of air speed and range because those have always been weaknesses of his every game. I just want his Brawl KO power and recovery. Add those to his beautiful Smash 4 combos, and I've got myself a near perfect character. [If he did have all 3 of these elements, I would say he would be upper mid.]

thewarjoe

Smash Rookie
Fireball is BETTER... its faster... Its almost as fast as Mario's

I mean it can't be on my mind, when its obviously traveling faster than before... in the 1.0.3 version I compared it to Mario's, and it slower than now...

Last edited:

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412
Fireball is BETTER... its faster... Its almost as fast as Mario's

I mean it can't be on my mind, when its obviously traveling faster than before... in the 1.0.3 version I compared it to Mario's, and it slower than now...
Any chance you could post a video o f this? It does seem different, but I think it is all in my head.

Top Bottom