• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ludington, MI - Smashing the Backstage - October 16th

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Michigan should seriously consider the party bus idea. If we got someone we all trusted to collect and organize (Yes, I am volunteering for future reference) and there was enough interest then itd work out.

Roller

Smash Legend
Well, I think a party "bus" would be a little much for an in-state tourney. But if a group of us wanted to go to an OoS tourney.. maybe 2 states away or something, that actually sounds mad cool.

rsr2

Smash Lord
Awesome, this is the closest tournament to me in a long time. I feel alone up here in this area so I will more than likely find a way down to the event. :D

ZTD | TECHnology

No problem. We gotta do teamsies soon though lol.

I still need to see if anyone from Metro Detroit is coming to this. I'll hype this but we have to overcome the laziness factor..wait.

This is MLG DC weekend. Eh not sure about this.

Cosmo_Eurinari

Smash Rookie
Regarding the Party bus, exactly to where would we (as whole MI Community) agree to as a Set location / Drop-off point for the Party bus ._. ?

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Well, if I was in charge of it, I'd start it in West Bloomfield area, then have it swing through the Ann Arbor area, and then Google Maps tells me it'd cut right through the Lansing area and through Grand Rapids, so the route pretty much takes care of itself if you were to make some stops throughout. Just have people make the drop offs at well known Smash locations at each city. It would need a little work and some realism, as first the 'Party Bus' would have to be found. I'd expect maybe a van, worst case scenario a mini van or two.

As far as bigger vehicles go, I can't help ya there. The only people I know who just might be lax on that kind of thing are churches and 'Campus Life' locations, and even then you'd have to be pretty 'in' with them.

And hey guys, it's pretty cool you're all still pretty interested. I wanna make this pretty big, and local advertising starts Sept 11 and will carry on for a month before the tournament. I've seen the location after the remodel and I hear the dust is settling, meaning it should be all operating now(Last time I was there, most of the building didn't have electricity).

Backstage looks a bit smaller than I imagined, but that's because the wall mirror's sadly been covered and the load bearing pillars look to be in odd positions(They used to be in a long hall way section that has since been taken down). Anyway, anyone interested in pictures? They don't have TV's up yet, but you can get a good idea of the place and the people it can hold.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Ahh, this would be cool.

If anyone's going through Rockford/GR area let me and L know :D

Edit: The first side event you should have is low tier /bias

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
If someone near Detroit is driving here, I want a ride, I'm not use to driving more than two hours, plus my car is junked. )=

Rizk18

Smash Lord
this is 4 hours away from me,i live in dearborn heights so if anyone's passing by there ill come and ill pay for gas money.and the party bus sounds good but where will it be? maybe detroit? anyway if you can make this tourney a little closer like a different city it would be better.maybe get everyone to agree to 1 place thats about fair for everyone?

ZTD | TECHnology

^ The whole point of this is to help cultivate a Smash scene in another area of Michigan since 98% of our tournaments are in Metro Detroit and people like L_Cancel have to spend mad money/travel several hours to get there. They do what they can to come out to our area..we should be able to return the favor every once in a while.

Rizk18

Smash Lord
^ The whole point of this is to help cultivate a Smash scene in another area of Michigan since 98% of our tournaments are in Metro Detroit and people like L_Cancel have to spend mad money/travel several hours to get there. They do what they can to come out to our area..we should be able to return the favor every once in a while.
you're right
Edit:so how about the party bus idea

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
TBH I throw the party/smash bus out there because we do have smashers with licenses but not all have cars. So finding a driver/drivers wouldn't be difficult.

On the bright side I will have a car by the time this happens, but my car fits 2 comfortable, and 4 not so comfortable, with a lot of trunk room >.> but idk if i would wanna drive for 4 hours pay for a hotel then drive back 4 hours the next day. Free housing would be nice :p

EDIT: Just did a quick mapquest to see distance from West Bloomfield (here), It is 4 hours from me and I could actually pick people up in GR and maybe Lansing if I did drive.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Again, as far as housing is concerned, I really can't say anything outside of hotels. I'd love to able to fit all of ya at my house(Which as I am typing this I am seriously considering, but it all depends on whether my Step-Father and I can build the part of the house that would accommodate a number of people in time for this. Initial estimates say no). I know a number of 'Hometown Heroes' around here, but they all live with their parents and they all have little siblings or overbearing parents. No exceptions.

Perhaps another route is to rest at other prominent smashers house that are within an hour or two of driving? Just throwing ideas out, smash them as you see fit.

But I will mention that I do live in a two-story house, and the only one who lives in the upstairs, my 'rents occupying the downstairs. There is one open bedroom(that we're working on next weekend, so it'll have a little less room in it but be a bit more organized by October) and an alright sized upstairs foyer area. And like I was saying, we have a large sized room that could easily fit 6+ people for a single night if you brought your own air mattress or something similar. It's very incomplete, but in October the temperature would be mild, and I'd probably give it a thorough vacuuming to get rid of some of the dust.

Again, this is just playing with ideas. I'll take some pics with my Cell Phone if you guys would seriously consider staying in there. But do note: I'm a half an hour away from Ludington, but I make the trip all the time and it's not so bad.

Aaaaand since I don't know any of you guys except Kail and some discussion with Ori_Bro it's gonna take a lot of BS to get this past the 'rents. So don't bet on my idea too much.

Kail

Smash Lord
Hah, don't worry about me. I'd be driving the 45 minutes or whatever it was back to my place! Plus I'll offer to house some people but my apartment isn't that big and I'm more likely to house people if I know who they are and I get along with them. Oh and you'd have to be willing to drive back to Grand Rapids after the tournament.

rsr2

Smash Lord
I live about two hours north of the tourney, I will see what is going on first and I can try and get people to stay here if they want. But I will keep updating on what is going on.

Trespayne

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trespayne
I may be up for this tournament. I haven't been to a tourny in a while, and have been out of smash altogether until recently. I prefer melee, but can play brawl too. Kail, if you're driving from GR maybe I'll go with you. I can maybe get andy too, you remember us right?

Kail

Smash Lord
How could I forget? Actually if you guys want to get together to play some before this tourney I would be down for that.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Turns out that my dad has a friend in Ludington who rents a house of his out. So I may be able to give those who come from SE MI some very cheap (or free) housing. Also I may be able to get my parents car which can hold 5 with a full trunk, or 8 with half a trunk, so Yeah when I get more info I will post up. So yeah this is looking pretty good for SE MI too come to this

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Boy Xatic, I dunno, Bay City seems to be way outta the way for most people, and it doesn't help that you can't really have that many people east of you on any major road. Are there any big Smashers up in the thumb there? But out of mild curiosity, how far is too far for you man? You have the straightest shot to Ludington from out east(seriously, hop on 10, then... when 10 ends you're there. Literally. Right there. Any further and you're in water). Not knockin' ya man, just interested.

Speaking of Interest, the Backstage is running a big open house this Saturday, so any Smashers on the West Coast who can tune to WMOM(102.7 FM), they'll be on location all day starting from around... 1 PM, I think.

Other news includes that we may see a ruleset change here, as I'll be sitting down with Nate come Sunday or Monday and we'll be discussing the details of the tournament. He's been quite impressed with you guys so far and is willing to make a few changes should you guys be serious about showing up. In fact, he mentioned setting up a Pre-Reg site for the tournament, which I believe nets you something extra on location, but I can't say what just yet. However the Pre-Reg does require signing up via PayPal, because he needs you guys to be serious - he's providing some awesome stuff, but he doesn't want to go overboard and suddenly have no one show up.

...Not like that'll happen. I've been pretty good at stealth promoting this sucker thus far, now that we're going open promotion with radio adverts backing it up, I doubt it'll be small.

Oh, and there will be pools, I'm fairly certain I've already got him to agree to that. Any questions?

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
When he seeds pools can you please make it so none of MI's "best" face off in pools?

ZTD | TECHnology

Turns out that my dad has a friend in Ludington who rents a house of his out. So I may be able to give those who come from SE MI some very cheap (or free) housing. Also I may be able to get my parents car which can hold 5 with a full trunk, or 8 with half a trunk, so Yeah when I get more info I will post up. So yeah this is looking pretty good for SE MI too come to this
Dude let me get in on this if you make it happen. I may just wait for MLG Dallas.

Arc_Revived

Smash Journeyman
I think I may be attending this. I live way up north now and I have a friend who lives in MI that I can stay with. Hope AA and others plan on attending as well.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
BIG BUMP FOR MI TOURNEYS
Guys, we shouldn't forget about this tourney, most of you guys ***** and moan about no tourneys yet most of you will pass this one by. I am still working out details out with my dad and his buddy

freehugsplz

Smash Rookie
Hi, I'm new here and have only been to one tourney so far, but I live near Grand Rapids and might be able to take some people to this tourney. The only problem is I've only had my license for a month, so it depends if my parents will let me go that far.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
***** about lack of michigan tournies

have one in an area away from most people who play.
look at L_Cancel, the guy doesnt have a car yet he will travel 3 hours to come to our tourneys yet, the first tourney on West Michigan and a majority of us wont show i think that just shows how lazy we are.

I am gonna try and organize a huge 6-8 carpool with housing for this thing

Arc_Revived

Smash Journeyman
I agree with Ori completley. L and I are great examples of people who have to travel for tourney. I used to live in Mt. Pleasant, having to drive the 2 1/2 3 hours to each tourney. Now, being at school in Sault St. Marie, it would be a 6+ drive to any tourney in AA. Ludington is far yes, but make a weekend out of it! Grab your friends and take a road trip. Find another smasher that lives an hour or two away and smashfest the day before... These are things all traveling smashers do and to me, is the greatest part of it. People are offering housing and rides. Take them up on the offers! I myself will probably be attending this despite the lengthy drive from LSSU, and I don't even have a car anymore. I highly suggest people attending this to help liven the MI smash scene, and so I can still see my favorite smashers! Hope to see people there!

Sparta Kick

Smash Ace
I have to drive 4 hours for Detroit area tourneys, and this one is 4 hours away too, so not much of a difference for me either way.

Arc_Revived

Smash Journeyman
I just don't want distance to be discouraging people from going. At least someone is making an effort to run a tournament in MI. It'd be discouraging to them to host another one if no one shows up, which is why I want people to go. I myself plan on hosting tournaments up north come the spring. and I intend on them being pretty big. I already have school interest and a great venue.

Roller

Smash Legend
So, I would definitely have been willing to make the trip out for this if it wasn't the same day as the UMich v Iowa game. =/

Hope enough people show up for a decent tourney though.

Top Bottom