• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ludington, MI - Smashing the Backstage - October 16th

rsr2

Smash Lord
Hope enough people show up for a decent tourney though.
Yeah, I am trying to convince a group of people up here to go. So far I got 3 others and myself. But I am trying to convince 3 more. :D Also more info on a place to stay. There is a few problems with being here is that

1. I have a room where people can stay but I only have a couple mattresses people can use.

2. There are 5 dogs here. Jack Russel Rat Terriers to be exact. Even though I have dogs we will be in a separate room off the house where none of the dogs will be in unless you open the door and even so, they probably won't come out there.

3. I live 2 hours north of the venue so if someone from the south wants a place to stay, you would have to drive extra to get to my place.

I am just throwing that out for those who really "REALLY" need a place to stay if they have no where else to go. So pretty much use me a last resort. But don't be afraid to send a message if you really need to. We can have a smashfest if you want but I only have 1 TV and 1 Wii. So if you can provide, that would be great. But other than that. I will see you guys at the tourney.

BigDaddy4

Smash Journeyman
look at L_Cancel, the guy doesnt have a car yet he will travel 3 hours to come to our tourneys yet, the first tourney on West Michigan and a majority of us wont show i think that just shows how lazy we are.

I am gonna try and organize a huge 6-8 carpool with housing for this thing
not our fault the majority of michigan smash is in south east michigan.

This tourney doesnt matter to me anyway cause im not going due to school/money/dont wanna travel a long *** distance to play this game johns.

Tewx2

Smash Ace
I need a ride to this, since there won't be any lain/Anther/Judge/flame/Azure I should have a 100% chance of getting top 3.

Hype for me getting a ride. Is there doubles btw? If there aren't I would suggest making that the side event :< L let's team for doubles. Falco Olimar. We got this

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Well I'm going to Youmacon as well. In fact, I'm displeased that I went for the platinum membership and have yet to receive my confirmation number despite registering in August.

But yeah, I'm going to be hammering out the details next time I go to the backstage, which looks to be sometime tomorrow. However, if I miss it, I'll have to wait a week or two to iron out any details with the owner. The *******'s getting married and such. =D

rsr2

Smash Lord
Heck yeah. I really want to go because I want to do my Hercule impersonation to Team4star . But I am spending all my money on a Magic the Gathering trip >_<

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Well, rsr2, Magic really big around here, and the regulars who go to the backstage to play cards that aren't in the tournament will be there playing cards on the sidelines. And by the by, I didn't go to the Backstage today - family came up and I was forced to stay home and tend to their every need. But hey, I got an all you can eat buffet with prime rib, so everything turned out alright.

Regardless, pictures soon.

Note: We're having a spot of trouble with getting TV's. Apparently the local rental place is overpriced and wants nothing to do with giving us any sort of special price for the monthly tournaments(We're currently thinking Brawl, Halo, ???, Brawl, etc.), so we're looking into TV's, so if you have a set-up, don't be shy to bring a TV along as well.

Oh, and the tournament is being advertised over the airwaves of 102.7(WMOM), so we're looking at a great local turnout.

Also, since Brawl+ has died after the Gold Release, I suppose we are looking into a Brawl- side tournament. We'll see, but people 'round here still love them some B+, seeing as the 'Gold' release has been so stable to them.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Uh, DRDN? Number one, Brawl-/Brawl+ debate is kinda meaningless right now, but I'll just address the wtf here - The tournament is in a month, not three days ago. October 16th, not September 16th.

Sorry for any confusion.

Tewx2

Smash Ace
The youmacon tourny, it's gonna be mad free. It's a tournament full of randoms. Not even brawl randoms, anime randoms lol

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
LOl last year's youmacon tournaments were DUMB. 2008 was dumb too. But 2008 I won the whole thing vs Vanstrummer <3 Yay monies. lol if we have to play on those laggy televisions again I may have a chance if I have to play Lain *remembers the semi finals of last years second tournament* LOL

Seriously Lain shouldve had it last year.

rsr2

Smash Lord
I'm guessing one of those is supposed to be melee? or...

Also, rsr2; What formats do you play in M:tG? I used to play T2 and ext, now I don't feel like spending ****-tons on cards so I mainly play legacy.
I mostly play Type 2.0. Recently I took my goblin deck to Grand Prix Columbus. I went 2-3 drop but I did play at Table four which was awesome :D

But I have been playing Type 2.0 for 4 years. Right now I am practicing as much sealed as I can in order to practice for Grand Prix Toronto in October. Also I am debating on what I want to build for Type 2.0 when the new set comes in : \

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Guys enough Youmacon talk lets hype this tourney then worry about Youmacon.
My dad is making the call to his friend today about renting the house for 2 nights, so like i will find out how much the house is gonna be. We will be getting the house Friday and Saturday night. My dad says that it will be pretty cheap. So i need a head count of who is interested.
MY ROUTE TO THIS TOURNEY!!!!!
So if you are in GR or Lansing i can probably pick you up :D

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
HUGE NEWS GUYS!!!!!!!!​

My dad talked with his friend, and the house will be $150 for rent. This is for both Friday night and Saturday night. Thee house is 3 bedroom (King, Queen, Double beds in a room)
So yeah, If you are in SE MI and are anywhere on my route, I can probably give you a ride. Space will be limited because my Parents may need to come because this is their friend's home. So if my parents do come, there will be 2-3 spots open in the car (If both parents come) or 3-4 if it is just my dad.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Epic News Ori_Bro. I got some extra stuff to go with it - I talked to the local college that's about ten minutes from the Tournament location and spoke with the leader of their 'Gamer's Club'. It was a quick discussion and it looks like We'll be getting some flyers out here as well, and we pull in students as far north as Benzie County and as far south as Oceana County(and I've met one student from Muskegon, personally). Now, I don't listen to much radio to be honest, but I've confirmed it with Nate that we will have the news of the tournament over the Airwaves within the week if not already(I confirmed that he finished the bumper, not that it was up - my bad.).

So if anything, Local support should be high. I generally got around ~15 people two years ago in a tournament that was almost spur of the moment.

And as an aside, if we're running a side tournament that requires a Wii with the Homebrew Channel or specific modifications like Brawl- or BBrawl, right now only two of the Wii's support that. However, a Melee side tourney is being considered as well.

Oh! Last but not least there may be something on location for Friday afternoon. Probably just a bunch of Smashing before Friday Night Magic, so if you get here early you can Smash, play some magic if that's what you're into, and since Ori_Bro is getting the place, probably migrate there if he's here by then(and that's cool wit' you). As things are, a Smashfest at my place on Friday is possible, but not likely. More on that later.

Rizk18

Smash Lord
HUGE NEWS GUYS!!!!!!!!​

My dad talked with his friend, and the house will be $150 for rent. This is for both Friday night and Saturday night. Thee house is 3 bedroom (King, Queen, Double beds in a room)
So yeah, If you are in SE MI and are anywhere on my route, I can probably give you a ride. Space will be limited because my Parents may need to come because this is their friend's home. So if my parents do come, there will be 2-3 spots open in the car (If both parents come) or 3-4 if it is just my dad.
is dearborn heights SE michigan?

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
And as an aside, if we're running a side tournament that requires a Wii with the Homebrew Channel or specific modifications like Brawl- or BBrawl, right now only two of the Wii's support that.
I can tell you that Brawl- will actually have a small but effective turnout, at WBST 4 we were expecting 5-8 people for B- and ended up have 12 enter. I could bring a setup with HBC and the latest version of B- (entry should be $2-$3 if u decide to run it)

Oh! Last but not least there may be something on location for Friday afternoon. Probably just a bunch of Smashing before Friday Night Magic, so if you get here early you can Smash, play some magic if that's what you're into, and since Ori_Bro is getting the place, probably migrate there if he's here by then(and that's cool wit' you). As things are, a Smashfest at my place on Friday is possible, but not likely. More on that later.
IF I am able to hold a smashfest Friday, I will limit it to about 8 people total, this includes me and whoever drives up with me (2-3 people), so that will leave about 4 open spots.
As part of the rental terms, a parent of mine will have to accompany us, because this is their friend's home, My Grandma may tag along as well to accompany my mom. So my mom wont want to many people at the house. Lets just play the smashfest by ear.

is dearborn heights SE michigan?
that will probably be out of the way srry rizzy :(

ADDITIONAL NOTES
-----------------------
• The house is $150 for 2 days and 2 nights. So if my car going up includes my mom,grandma me, and 2-3 more people the house will only be $25 for the weekend if we get 6 people. Also, I will not be charging gas $$$ ;)
• Super PM me your cell phone number so we may chat about this in the near future. I will give you mine as well.
• Can venue fee be waived if a setup is brought? I will be bringing my Wii so we can at least play at the house.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
I'm probably not going to this with SWEET 1 and 2 and Gameyard allready on the table. Not enough money.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
I think I mentioned that if a setup is brought and used at the venue, the venue fee is waved. But do note not all setups may be used for one reason or another(mainly if so many are brought we actually run out of space).

Do note I am taking all suggestions seriously, and I'm working on streamlining this as much as possible. It's just not likely that I'll have anything cemented until October 1st, for previously stated reasons, however...

Double Elimination after pools is looking more likely, but the Swiss system is not out yet. It depends on the number of setups.

Top Bottom