• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucina Thread [Closing]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
How so? I haven't paid an overly amount of attention to them since I stick to the Lucina thread now.
They're claiming Sakurai didn't see the uniqueness Lord Chrom brings to the field, and that he is the most important FEA character.
On a side note, does anyone know where I can make of these?

Last edited:

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
They're claiming Sakurai didn't see the uniqueness Lord Chrom brings to the field, and that he is the most important FEA character.
On a side note, does anyone know where I can make of these?

Holy heck that's cool, I'd love to know where to make that too.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Regarding Lucina, I think she was especially lucky to be in this game. :) True, I am a little disappointed that she can't be more of her own character, but I guess since she was initially planned to be Marth's alternate costume with slight variations, it is a little justifiable. She was never intended to be her own character, and I believe that to save time, it's better to use the moves that Marth traditionally uses. If they intend to keep Lucina for later Smash Bros games (Which I hope they do), maybe we'll see her become more of her own character.

I initially had my doubts about seeing Lucina in Smash, and my main concern was that she would be too similar to Marth, and then came the 14th of July, (Midnight of the 15th if you're from Australia). Afterwards, I wanted to see what SmashBoards thought of Lucina and Robin getting in over Chrom. Reflecting on this, I began to realise that as soon as Chrom defeated Gangrel, he stopped developing as a character. His journey had finished, and there were only two other main characters left in the overall arc: Robin and Lucina. I'm looking forward to seeing both of them, but in reality, I would like to see Lucina being more of her own character.

RayaGRH

Smash Apprentice
Sorry if this has been mentioned before - but I don't get why they don't make Marth's custom moves Lucina's main moves and vice versa. Seems like an easy way to get around the cloning issue, no? She is technically still a clone, but also has a different moveset at face value.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Sorry if this has been mentioned before - but I don't get why they don't make Marth's custom moves Lucina's main moves and vice versa. Seems like an easy way to get around the cloning issue, no? She is technically still a clone, but also has a different moveset at face value.
Sorry, I'm not quite following. :p How would giving her Marth's moveset as custom moves give her a different moveset at face value? :p

RayaGRH

Smash Apprentice
Technically they would have the same moveset if you include custom moves. But if set on default, they would be different (well, special attacks anyway).

E.g. If Marth's default special moves are A, B, C and D, and his custom ones are E, F, G, and H. Lucina's default moves could be E, F, G, H, and her custom ones A, B, C, D.

So, she would still have the same moves to choose from as Marth. But it's spun around so that set on default, and therefore in competitive play, she wouldn't be a clone.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
A few of them have mentioned considering the possibility of using her instead of Marth, but I don't believe any of them have actually decided anything conclusive yet. :)
That sounds right.

Crossing my fingers that Lucy isn't a repeat of Roy, especially since she lacks tippers. But regardless, I'm still going to main her.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
First off, I don't think Marth will a really different moveset like Palutena or the Mii Fighters.

Secondly, when Lucina got added as a separate character, they might have not had time to balance the character with those features. The custom moves Marth's will probably focus on adjustments in speed, which would just make Lucina a weaker character possibly with the wrong balance.

Finally, it would be arbitrary change, masking Lucina's cloneness. Embrace the cloneness!

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Technically they would have the same moveset if you include custom moves. But if set on default, they would be different (well, special attacks anyway).

E.g. If Marth's default special moves are A, B, C and D, and his custom ones are E, F, G, and H. Lucina's default moves could be E, F, G, H, and her custom ones A, B, C, D.

So, she would still have the same moves to choose from as Marth. But it's spun around so that set on default, and therefore in competitive play, she wouldn't be a clone.
That implies competitive play won't use custom moves, which while possible is unlikely.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
new smash bros ship:

art above done by Jeremy VAL and AIRCITY on miiverse

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
It seems odd that Lucina is an "easy mode" Marth and would be unlockable, but I truly think that he's going to be a starter over her because he's the face of the series (well she does have his face... sorta...). Her being an unlockable character gives me hope that she's not just a "noob friendly" Marth but actually has some really great qualities (trading tipping power for a more easy to land meteor smash would be nice).

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
It seems odd that Lucina is an "easy mode" Marth and would be unlockable, but I truly think that he's going to be a starter over her because he's the face of the series (well she does have his face... sorta...). Her being an unlockable character gives me hope that she's not just a "noob friendly" Marth but actually has some really great qualities (trading tipping power for a more easy to land meteor smash would be nice).
I just see her as a better roy rather than an easy marth

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I just see her as a better roy rather than an easy marth
That's sorta how I'm starting to see her too (which would be great since I'm an old Roy sub-mainer from Melee/Project M). Worst case scenario- if she's too similar to Marth, I can just customize the heck out of them to make them play completely differently (like Lucina focusing on Power and Marth focusing on Speed).

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
That's sorta how I'm starting to see her too (which would be great since I'm an old Roy sub-mainer from Melee/Project M). Worst case scenario- if she's too similar to Marth, I can just customize the heck out of them to make them play completely differently (like Lucina focusing on Power and Marth focusing on Speed).
I don't think her being too similar will be a problem, we've hardly seen any of her moves and sakurai has said that moves can change during development. With all the negative response she's been getting I can see them changing her up before release

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace

Well, the main issue with doing this is that the difference between Marth and Lucina goes beyond the way that their specials work. :p No matter which custom special moves you give the two of them, they will always work differently in that Lucina's blade is balanced and Marth has a tipper. For all we know, their specials might actually function in the exact same way aside from the tipper, so interchanging them may not even do anything. :p

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
I think Lucina will be a starter, and Marth being unlockable. Sakurai stated that Lucina will be the "more accessible" version of Marth. Why would the easier to use version have to be unlocked?

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I think Lucina will be a starter, and Marth being unlockable. Sakurai stated that Lucina will be the "more accessible" version of Marth. Why would the easier to use version have to be unlocked?
Admittedly, I guess less experienced players could find Marth "weak" and then suddenly become excited when they find out that Lucina isn't as "weak" as him... For us Smash veterans unlocking a character probably doesn't affect our choice to main them or not.

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
Admittedly, I guess less experienced players could find Marth "weak" and then suddenly become excited when they find out that Lucina isn't as "weak" as him... For us Smash veterans unlocking a character probably doesn't affect our choice to main them or not.
I thin all the new characters will be unlocked while all the veterans are locked and have to be unlocked. Why? :troll:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I wonder - would giving her custom specials with fire effects anger Roy fans or please them? :p
It could go either way. Me, I would certainly feel a little upset, mainly because I love Roy's Neutral Special so much. It's so satisfying when Roy screams out "DORAAAH!!" as he slashes his sword and cloaks the area in fire. In fact, I think I prefer Blazer over Eruption. :p But I do think some sort of elemental bonus to either Marth or Lucina's custom moves would work. Ice, maybe? (That's another misconception that I had about Marth and Roy in Melee - Marth's Falchion was imbued with some sort of element like water or ice, while Roy's sword was imbued with fire.)

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
(That's another misconception that I had about Marth and Roy in Melee - Marth's Falchion was imbued with some sort of element like water or ice, while Roy's sword was imbued with fire.)
I actually thought the exact same thing - that Marth was the "water" to Roy's "fire". The fact that his up-B is called "Dolphin Blade" contributed to that somewhat. :p

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Don't know if this has been spotted here before :O

I love how there's almost nothing to distinguish the two besides armor and Lucina's slight chest. I could almost imagine Marth doing that pose on the second panel.

Still hilarious.

Mewtwoultima

Smash Apprentice
Hello Lucina thread, its been a while. But I wanted to check in and reveal some new info and evidence I found.

Someone might have posted it or talked about it already, but one thing I noticed with Lucina and Marth is that both their counter animations are different. Marth's is seen below:

As you see, he holds his Falcion with one hand and has the other hand lower, while Lucina holds her Falcion with both hands with the back one being by the back of the handle. I couldn't find the image, but the one where she's pointing her sword at Captain Falcon is a good example. (Just wanted to prove why we should never judge a book by its cover and that there is indeed luigification with Lucina. Just because a character is similar doesn't mean they have no differences.)

While it is a bit late, I just wanted to say another reason why Lucina was foreshadowed for being in the game and I can't believe I never thought of this until I saw some recent posts. Arena Ferox, while just a stage, I felt was a hint at her inclusion and not Chrom like some of us thought at first. Why?

SPOILER ALERT!!!!
It was the arena you fought her in and she acted as one of the main bosses in it. It served as a significant moment for the character. Kind of like some of the other stages revealed so far. (Hint, hint!)

Also, I honestly think by what Sakurai means by lucky. (Honestly, he just said you could say she was lucky) Is that if it weren't for the differences in characteristics in attacks and abilities from the games, she would have been a costume swap. In fact, we have seen lucky characters in previous smash bros. games. Ganondorf got lucky because of having a supposedly similar build to Captain Falcon which allowed him to be playable when he was NEVER intended to be in the game. Ness got lucky for returning in Melee and that had Mother 3 not been cancelled, he would have been replaced by Lucas. Heck, Sonic was I guess you could say lucky since he wasn't on the initial roster and was put in due to the huge fan demand when they put up a poll to see which other third party character fans wanted in the game. It allowed him to get in. Ghiraham and Zant for Hyrule Warriors weren't originally going to be playable and just boss characters, but due to how well liked the characters are by the fans, they made them playable.

My main point is, Lucina also got in due to the reasons I've said in my first post and the huge fan popularity, not just because of gameplay differences. After seeing the forums and youtube videos, a lot of fans admitted that they wanted Robin and Lucina MORE than Chrom and thought they were better choices. They just weren't sure if they were going to be playable and thought the conservative way. As many have said, Gematsu was the only thing really that was going for Chrom (Not trying to be mean to any chrom fans and I'm sorry how he got trolled, but I'm just saying why it isn't surprising now thinking about why Chrom isn't playable and looking more into it.) Many fans were excited that Lucina and Robin were playable!

Honestly, its just like why I think Greninja was put in for other reasons and not just because of concept design. Would he honestly by coincidence become one of the most popular 6 gen pokemon both as one and in competitive play? I doubt Sakurai would choose a random one or one that was unpopular. I mean, every newcomer so far are ones that make perfect sense, deserve to be in the game, and are well liked characters or have reasons for being in (Wii fit trainer representing how big the Wii Fit series is.) Of course game designers aren't going to explain more personal details and its none of our business and prefer to explain gameplay reasons. There's just so much evidence that I feel supports my claim. In fact, I'm sure GameFreak had an impact on the choice of Greninja because of how Sakurai has stated in the past that GameFreak usually has an impact for which pokemon character is in the game.

For starters, he said the Mii's were included because of the huge requests from the fans and the fact they are becoming a mascot and STAPLE to Nintendo games. Pac-man was included because Miyamoto wanted him in since Brawl and because he felt it would be natural to have a Bandai Namco rep since they were working with them. Sonic was put in because of huge popularitiy, Mega Man was obviously put in because so many people wanted him in. Just wanted to prove that why I think there's so much evidence that most characters get in for other unexplained reasons and not just because of personal preferences or gameplay reasons.

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Hello Lucina thread, its been a while. But I wanted to check in and reveal some new info and evidence I found.

Someone might have posted it or talked about it already, but one thing I noticed with Lucina and Marth is that both their counter animations are different. Marth's is seen below:

As you see, he holds his Falcion with one hand and has the other hand lower, while Lucina holds her Falcion with both hands with the back one being by the back of the handle. I couldn't find the image, but the one where she's pointing her sword at Captain Falcon is a good example. (Just wanted to prove why we should never judge a book by its cover and that there is indeed luigification with Lucina. Just because a character is similar doesn't mean they have no differences.)

While it is a bit late, I just wanted to say another reason why Lucina was foreshadowed for being in the game and I can't believe I never thought of this until I saw some recent posts. Arena Ferox, while just a stage, I felt was a hint at her inclusion and not Chrom like some of us thought at first. Why?

SPOILER ALERT!!!!
It was the arena you fought her in and she acted as one of the main bosses in it. It served as a significant moment for the character. Kind of like some of the other stages revealed so far. (Hint, hint!)

Also, I honestly think by what Sakurai means by lucky. (Honestly, he just said you could say she was lucky) Is that if it weren't for the differences in characteristics in attacks and abilities from the games, she would have been a costume swap. In fact, we have seen lucky characters in previous smash bros. games. Ganondorf got lucky because of having a supposedly similar build to Captain Falcon which allowed him to be playable when he was NEVER intended to be in the game. Ness got lucky for returning in Melee and that had Mother 3 not been cancelled, he would have been replaced by Lucas. Heck, Sonic was I guess you could say lucky since he wasn't on the initial roster and was put in due to the huge fan demand when they put up a poll to see which other third party character fans wanted in the game. It allowed him to get in. Ghiraham and Zant for Hyrule Warriors weren't originally going to be playable and just boss characters, but due to how well liked the characters are by the fans, they made them playable.

My main point is, Lucina also got in due to the reasons I've said in my first post and the huge fan popularity, not just because of gameplay differences. After seeing the forums and youtube videos, a lot of fans admitted that they wanted Robin and Lucina MORE than Chrom and thought they were better choices. They just weren't sure if they were going to be playable and thought the conservative way. As many have said, Gematsu was the only thing really that was going for Chrom (Not trying to be mean to any chrom fans and I'm sorry how he got trolled, but I'm just saying why it isn't surprising now thinking about why Chrom isn't playable and looking more into it.) Many fans were excited that Lucina and Robin were playable!

Honestly, its just like why I think Greninja was put in for other reasons and not just because of concept design. Would he honestly by coincidence become one of the most popular 6 gen pokemon both as one and in competitive play? I doubt Sakurai would choose a random one or one that was unpopular. I mean, every newcomer so far are ones that make perfect sense, deserve to be in the game, and are well liked characters or have reasons for being in (Wii fit trainer representing how big the Wii Fit series is.) Of course game designers aren't going to explain more personal details and its none of our business and prefer to explain gameplay reasons. There's just so much evidence that I feel supports my claim. In fact, I'm sure GameFreak had an impact on the choice of Greninja because of how Sakurai has stated in the past that GameFreak usually has an impact for which pokemon character is in the game.

For starters, he said the Mii's were included because of the huge requests from the fans and the fact they are becoming a mascot and STAPLE to Nintendo games. Pac-man was included because Miyamoto wanted him in since Brawl and because he felt it would be natural to have a Bandai Namco rep since they were working with them. Sonic was put in because of huge popularitiy, Mega Man was obviously put in because so many people wanted him in. Just wanted to prove that why I think there's so much evidence that most characters get in for other unexplained reasons and not just because of personal preferences or gameplay reasons.
Good stuff man. Here are both of the counters. Found that Lucina counter pic you were looking for. Anyway, here is both counter pics for comparison.

I think this should help prove your point. @ M Mewtwoultima

Hong

The Strongest
Here is the Nintendo World page coverings Lucina. Credit goes to @XKan for translation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom