• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucina Thread [Closing]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Done, its posted.

On another note, I have only beaten classic on 7.0 D: Do you guys use equipment/customs to defeat the higher levels?
Awesome! Looking forward to checking it out and participating in said thread. ^_^

Good job! :happysheep: My highest on Classic is 8.0 with Lucina, which I'm pretty proud of! In order to pull that off though, I gave her a crap ton of attack, speed and some defence for her equipment as it was the only way to get through Master Cores 4 forms more easily.

I KNEW THAT GIF WAS COMING

literally anyone uses it as their sad gif lol.
Hahaha! XD Well I just searched for crying anime gifs and that Pikachu gif was one of the first to pop up so I choose that. I didn't realize it was so popular. :p

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
@ Locuan Locuan Can I just say how much I LOVE your signature! HD Lucina in front of a black hole just looks so freaking cool! <3

Just thought I'd let you know! ^_^

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Too pro. Advice?
Since it's Samus, I can stay away and shoot missiles when he's attacking, and go in and use whatever multi-hit move I have when he's recovering.

As for Lucina, what about counters? They help against all bosses.

Hahaha! XD Well I just searched for crying anime gifs and that Pikachu gif was one of the first to pop up so I choose that. I didn't realize it was so popular. :p
Here and on Robin's forum that's the go-to cry gif.

Last edited:

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
Done, its posted.

On another note, I have only beaten classic on 7.0 D: Do you guys use equipment/customs to defeat the higher levels?
Highest I've beaten is 6.5 with Robin. I've made it on a few 9.0 runs to Master Core, but it always ends there. I usually go plain, but I'm trying out customs/equips to see if it makes a difference.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Since it's Samus, I can stay away and shoot missiles when he's attacking, and go in and use whatever multi-hit move I have when he's recovering.

As for Lucina, what about counters? They help against all bosses.

Here and on Robin's forum that's the go-to cry gif.
Counters were SUPER helpful against Master Core when using Lucina, at least that's how I feel. However, timing is everything but I believe one of her custom down b moves is a longer version of the counter just with a weaker attack. It still should prove very useful nevertheless.

Ah, I see. I did not know that. I'll have to keep that in mind...... :troll:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
The conversation here has been pretty good.
Sorry if its super obvious but what do you mean by OT?

I've considered the idea of having a Fire Emblem general/social thats shared between the four boards, but it genuinely is very redundant when we have entire sections dedicated to video and other nintendo games with threads for them too.
Hence why I'm just reminding people, we're a community for Lucina players. Not awakening or fire emblem fans/players, although the people who use her are likely to have a predisposition in that way. If all you want to talk about is Awakening the game, then you should do so elsewhere.
But as I've already mentioned, it's fine, just people should be less... "beating of a dead horse" about things. I'm not sure how many more times I'm going to be able to stand people saying "LUCINA x ROBIN EVERYTIME", "NO LUCINA X YZ ALL THE TIME PREFERABLY" before I give up being apart of here. It shouldn't be the main topic of conversation 100% of the time.

I'm pretty happy/glad to read a lot of these introductions. Being more casually minded isn't a problem at all, I'm sure most people are still interested in knowing/understanding their favourite smash character, right?
The Marth / Lucina coalition thread is more focused for the competitive discussion aspects of both characters. Don't be afraid of the Marth mains there (like myself) being a little lazy by saying Marth instead of Marth+Lucina (I try to use M/L more often now), most things apply to both of us and we can help each other learn and understand our characters better.

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I've considered the idea of having a Fire Emblem general/social thats shared between the four boards, but it genuinely is very redundant when we have entire sections dedicated to video and other nintendo games with threads for them too.
That actually seems like a great idea. Seeing as we are all fans of the same game and it means more people to meet! You get a +1 from me if you decide to go ahead and do that.

The Marth / Lucina coalition thread is more focused for the competitive discussion aspects of both characters. Don't be afraid of the Marth mains there (like myself) being a little lazy by saying Marth instead of Marth+Lucina (I try to use M/L more often now), most things apply to both of us and we can help each other learn and understand our characters better.
I think I should give Marth another chance. I dismissed him to quickly. What would you say are his biggest differences from previous games/Lucina?

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I think I should give Marth another chance. I dismissed him to quickly. What would you say are his biggest differences from previous games/Lucina?
Tipper, tipper, tipper, basically.

But I'm no Marth main, so let someone more experienced tell you that :seuss:

Shaymikyu

The conversation here has been pretty good.
Off-topic, as in not pertaining to Lucina specifically in Smash.

And I think a joint social for the four boards is a decent idea. I haven't been on the Marth/Ike boards much, but in the Robin board, the actual FE series comes up a bit as well.

I need to give Marth another chance. He was one of my best characters in Melee/Brawl, but I feel way better with Lucina in SSB4 so far. Marth was the first one I beat Classic with, however, and on a decent difficulty.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I'm a Marthaholic. My play time in this game is already like 90% Marth, and it's the same/worse in both Melee and Brawl.
I prefer playing Marth, and I have some inklings on mechanics that show me why (in technical terms, Marth's untippered hits have less "HIT LAG" than his tippered hits which have more, this means his untippered hits are safer on shield than his tippered ones, I don't think the hitlag modifier exists on Lucina's sword which effects safety on shield). Sometimes Lucina feels much smoother, and that would have a lot to do with the consistency of her attacks, lower percent definitely has Lucina feeling better as her attacks are safer on hit than Marths are. Certain gimping scenarios would work better for Lucina as Marth requires tippering to get the stock, while Lucina can go for trading/less precise spacing to get the result (a stock taken by a gimp).

Marth's basically the same as other games. You won't be using your throws or fair like you would, but there's new things to do/work on.

Up Smash in this game is likely our best/consistent killer, and Lucina's is definitely stronger.

Last edited:

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
That actually seems like a great idea. Seeing as we are all fans of the same game and it means more people to meet! You get a +1 from me if you decide to go ahead and do that.

I'm of the same mindset as well. Having more people to meet is always fun and exciting, especially when you all love the same game! ^_^ Although, I will admit, I do so enjoy having a thread dedicated to talking about all things Lucina, be it in Fire Emblem: Awakening or Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS. I don't have any attachment to Marth or Ike so I might feel rather "out of place" so to speak if the topic were to go into them and they're respective games. I'm very much solely an Awakening fan, especially with Robin and Lucina, and I've never really cared for those two characters to be perfectly honest....well except for Ike in Smash Bros Brawl. :p

It's always good to open minded to different characters, however, I enjoy Lucina better just because I prefer her character over Marth and as silly as it sounds, that's the deciding factor in why I choose her over Marth, even if he is perhaps better in some ways. But kudos to you for branching out and wanting to try him out again. I can deeply respect that.

Shaymikyu

I'm of the same mindset as well. Having more people to meet is always fun and exciting, especially when you all love the same game! ^_^ Although, I will admit, I do so enjoy having a thread dedicated to talking about all things Lucina, be it in Fire Emblem: Awakening or Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS. I don't have any attachment to Marth or Ike so I might feel rather "out of place" so to speak if the topic were to go into them and they're respective games. I'm very much solely an Awakening fan, especially with Robin and Lucina, and I've never really cared for those two characters to be perfectly honest....well except for Ike in Smash Bros Brawl. :p

It's always good to open minded to different characters, however, I enjoy Lucina better just because I prefer her character over Marth and as silly as it sounds, that's the deciding factor in why I choose her over Marth, even if he is perhaps better in some ways. But kudos to you for branching out and wanting to try him out again. I can deeply respect that.
I'm this way as well. My familiarity with Marth and Ike solely involves SSB and maybe their "cameos" in Awakening. I feel more comfortable discussing Robin or Lucina because I have played their game. It's the same reason I'd be more comfortable in a Lucas thread than a Ness one- I've played a bit of EB, but I've beat Mother 3 several times.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
I'm this way as well. My familiarity with Marth and Ike solely involves SSB and maybe their "cameos" in Awakening. I feel more comfortable discussing Robin or Lucina because I have played their game. It's the same reason I'd be more comfortable in a Lucas thread than a Ness one- I've played a bit of EB, but I've beat Mother 3 several times.
Makes sense to me! :happysheep:

Shaymikyu

It's also the reason I haven't been to the ZSS board despite her being my co-main more or less- I've never played any Metroid games (I might now that I love ZSS, but I generally stink at Platforming-type games).

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
The thing is I was used to Marth's non tipper stuff to lead to consistent combos or strings in Melee. In this game, it just seemed like I could not get anything going. I might have just been thinking of things in Melee terms and that severely handicapped me. I will try him out and see what I can do. Lucina on the other hand felt more secure and stronger at the end of the day.

It's also the reason I haven't been to the ZSS board despite her being my co-main more or less- I've never played any Metroid games (I might now that I love ZSS, but I generally stink at Platforming-type games).
I do not care what anyone else says Metroid Fusion is the best Metroid ever! ... Play that one first......... <3

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
It is a good idea, but it is redundant when we have things already out there to cover it (why have a thread shared between 4 boards to talk about Fire Emblem when you could just... go to the Nintenzone section of our website!). At some point I'll be attacking the Robin boards with the same rhetoric, but as of right now I'm the main active mod here I believe, I thought it was very much worthwhile to shake up players out of this pre-game mindset~

I really didn't like the idea of having this board be the casual/newb version of the Marth boards. I think that's a little silly, but it could ultimately lead that way if we don't get a sense of community/ambition to improve.

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Not being familiar with Ike's games is understandable if you didn't get them at launch, they cost an arm and a leg these days. Path of Radiance is definitely worth a look if you ever come across it though.
Marth's games besides FE12 are meh. My advice, avoid Shadow Dragon unless you're a completionist. FE12 (the Japan-only DS one) on the other hand is my second-favourite FE behind Awakening.
Up Smash in this game is likely our best/consistent killer, and Lucina's is definitely stronger.
Really? That's interesting, I would never think of using u-smash much based on previous games.

Shaymikyu

The thing is I was used to Marth's non tipper stuff to lead to consistent combos or strings in Melee. In this game, it just seemed like I could not get anything going. I might have just been thinking of things in Melee terms and that severely handicapped me. I will try him out and see what I can do. Lucina on the other hand felt more secure and stronger at the end of the day.

I do not care what anyone else says Metroid Fusion is the best Metroid ever! ... Play that one first......... <3
Will keep that in mind if and when I go looking for Metroid games to play. I might give one a shot just to get familiar with Samus's source material.
Not being familiar with Ike's games is understandable if you didn't get them at launch, they cost an arm and a leg these days. Path of Radiance is definitely worth a look if you ever come across it though.
Marth's games besides FE12 are meh. My advice, avoid Shadow Dragon unless you're a completionist. FE12 (the Japan-only DS one) on the other hand is my second-favourite FE behind Awakening.

Really? That's interesting, I would never think of using u-smash much based on previous games.
Ike's are the ones I want to play the most because I've heard good things about them (and some of the characters I've seen have caught my interest), but they're just so hard to get a hold of. Shame they haven't rereleased them somehow, but I guess it's too early to rerelease Gamecube games.

I've heard that about Shadow Dragon, which is a shame- considering Marth has always been one of my favorite SSB characters, I was hoping to play one of his games to get a better feel for him. I guess I'll just stick with Awakening for him for now.

Last edited:

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
ZSS is sort of the exception to my rule for choosing characters. While I've only played a little bit of Metroid Fusion and never touched Metroid Zero Mission, I love how ZSS looks aesthetically and that's something I look for when choosing a character to main in Smash Bros. I'm still not sure if I want to put her along with Robin, Lucina and Shulk as my mains but perhaps a secondary main, although that sounds odd when I got three mains haha! XD Whatever. :p

Yeah, that's general what I've been hearing when it comes to Marth players choosing to switch from him to Lucina.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Feet hidden disjoints are broken! Like, I'm killing people with that move at around 100%, it does a good amount of damage, is fast out of shield.
Beats spot dodges and rolls and **** because of the length of time the hitboxes stay out for.

Last edited:

Shaymikyu

ZSS is sort of the exception to my rule for choosing characters. While I've never played a little bit of Metroid Fusion and never touched Metroid Zero Mission, I love how ZSS looks aesthetically and that's something I look for when choosing a character to main in Smash Bros. I'm still not sure if I want to put her along with Robin, Lucina and Shulk as my mains but perhaps a secondary main, although that sounds odd when I got three mains haha! XD Whatever. :p

Yeah, that's general what I've been hearing when it comes to Marth players choosing to switch from him to Lucina.
Shulk's another one I really want to play the game for, being in my circle of mains, but like Ike, he suffers from the "my game will cost you everything" disease. Maybe they'll reissue it now with Shulk advertising it in SSB.

WFT I've actually played the game for, and Duck Hunt... Well, I've never played his game, but he's not exactly a character you need to know much more about to truly grasp.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Off-topic.

A thread elsewhere is a good idea in theory but if users aren't inclined to migrate then we all lose, because they won't contribute there and potentially will stop contributing (or contribute less) here.

It's pretty solid. I'm not sure if Lucina's functions the same off hand, but the side hitboxes on Marth's now knock the opponent into the sword sourspot hitboxes. You get ~16 damage and moderate knockback even if you sourspot. It's a really nice change. I do know that Lucina's is also extremely effective, I'm just not sure if the side hitboxes share that particular property or if they just pop you up like her sword hitboxes.

And yeah, Shadow Dragon is pretty weak. It's the only NA FE game I've never finished.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Marth/Lucina just aren't combo characters in this game. And Marth still gets a lot out of untippered hits. The main disparity really is how well you deal with sub 40% as Marth, as untippered attacks can be punished by opponents on hit :<. Otherwise skills in spacing, which are still extremely important on Lucina to achieve success will reward you more playing as Marth.

I play M/L in this similar to how I do so in Brawl. Mid-range zoning and playing as reactively as possible. Full hop forward air is a key staple to Marth, and is very very simple/easy to achieve tippered hitboxes with, which is how I'm mostly dancing around when dealing with the sub-40% hijinx.

Stuff like her jab being a lot safer on hit all the time is also an interesting nuance that Lucina has over Marth, who requires tipper jabs up until like 80% to not get punished on hit (Jab is a really really good move too!)

I can see me having more success with Lucina in doubles on percentages, but I'd probably still feel more comfortable anteing my ability to space + the sheer strength of tipper forward smash against Lucina's consistency. However if I'm against two rushdown characters in doubles, I'd say Lucina is vastly superior.

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Yep the hit-box extends outside of the sword to both left and right areas.
In the image below I approximate the range, give or take a few pixels.

Feet hidden disjoints are broken! Like, I'm killing people with that move at around 100%, it does a good amount of damage, is fast out of shield.
Beats spot dodges and rolls and **** because of the length of time the hitboxes stay out for.
Don't forget punishing those jumping edge recoveries... those feel so good... *drools*

I play M/L in this similar to how I do so in Brawl. Mid-range zoning and playing as reactively as possible. Full hop forward air is a key staple to Marth, and is very very simple/easy to achieve tippered hitboxes with, which is how I'm mostly dancing around when dealing with the sub-40% hijinx.
Yea, I did not play much of Brawl Marth. I definitely have the incorrect mindset regarding him in this game. I will have to adapt in order to be successful with him.

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Nice. Those roll-spammers in For Glory are getting a bit annoying, I'll have to try this out tomorrow.

Shulk's another one I really want to play the game for, being in my circle of mains, but like Ike, he suffers from the "my game will cost you everything" disease. Maybe they'll reissue it now with Shulk advertising it in SSB.
They've announced a port for the New 3DS I believe, hopefully it reaches you guys a bit more promptly than the Wii original did.

Duck Hunt... Well, I've never played his game, but he's not exactly a character you need to know much more about to truly grasp.
that is all

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Usmash is one of my go-to options for dealing with opponents on ledge now, it's got insane option coverage. You can cover the getup, the roll, and at least threaten the hop all from one position.

They did reprint it, think it's still available at Gamestop but not sure. They are remaking it for that new 3DS though.

Last edited:

Shaymikyu

Nice. Those roll-spammers in For Glory are getting a bit annoying, I'll have to try this out tomorrow.

They've announced a port for the New 3DS I believe, hopefully it reaches you guys a bit more promptly than the Wii original did.

that is all
I was going to wait for the next Pokémon generation for the New 3DS, but if this happens, I might jump on it sooner. Even if I can't get it ASAP, maybe they'll have it in its eShop- that's how I've gotten a lot of the non-Mario/Zelda/Pokémon/biggest name franchise games.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
In the image below I approximate the range, give or take a few pixels.
that range o.O
why did I not know of this before now
I can already picture the rows of Macs I'm going to catch out with this
speaking of Macs, I got this guy earlier today

this is why you don't abuse Slip Counter near ledges

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
that range o.O
speaking of Macs
Oh yes. Jaja, I have been playing Mac too and one of the first things I learned was not to counter close to the edge. If not, insta-death.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
that range o.O
speaking of Macs, I got this guy earlier today

this is why you don't abuse Slip Counter near ledges
Really, a careless Mac on edges is a dead Mac. I've had more than a few commit suicide by lunge attack. It's hilarious.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I find it unfortunate that a lot of playing against Mac involves letting them succumb to their own machinations. It just means once people get solid with the character and controlling him, it's just going to be a lot harder to deal with him, haha.

It also makes like zero sense to me that Mac has a counter hurtbox like two swords length infront of him... what kind of "counter" is that? "I'm going to punish you for trying to hit me where I could be in sub-reaction time if I actually decide to approach! Oh wait, I don't need to, my moves are all three swords length in range!" It really reduces the weakness he has in the air considerably, that he can throw out something that'll cover all aggressive juggling moves in a way you have to respect... long enough for him to get back on the ground and then super armor through ****, like the counterplay on this character really is minimal "hope he attacks shield close enough to throw him". Really obnoxious character design, Sakurai always disappoints.

For reference though, I think Mac would lose to M/L. IT would probably the most annoying/hardest match up we win, but that character should die for getting hit by any one of our moves from a neutral position most of the time. I just hate match ups where you have to "camp" all day (committing against Mac gets us killed/taking 20-30% punishes every time, so we flat out cannot, it's basically Dedede in Brawl chain grabbing us for 40% + keeping us on the ledge, except fortunately we kill Mac at like 40%/he's a light weight)

Last edited:

TheWerdna

Smash Lord
Off-topic, as in not pertaining to Lucina specifically in Smash.

And I think a joint social for the four boards is a decent idea. I haven't been on the Marth/Ike boards much, but in the Robin board, the actual FE series comes up a bit as well.

I need to give Marth another chance. He was one of my best characters in Melee/Brawl, but I feel way better with Lucina in SSB4 so far. Marth was the first one I beat Classic with, however, and on a decent difficulty.
My one fear with that is trying to mix the talk from the four boards (or at least this thread and the Robin thead) might cause "pairing wars" to break out, or otherwise one group dominate the other and just take over the thread over all.

It is a good idea, but it is redundant when we have things already out there to cover it (why have a thread shared between 4 boards to talk about Fire Emblem when you could just... go to the Nintenzone section of our website!). At some point I'll be attacking the Robin boards with the same rhetoric, but as of right now I'm the main active mod here I believe, I thought it was very much worthwhile to shake up players out of this pre-game mindset~

I really didn't like the idea of having this board be the casual/newb version of the Marth boards. I think that's a little silly, but it could ultimately lead that way if we don't get a sense of community/ambition to improve.
To be fair, if it becomes a problem would probably could just go make an "Lucina FE:A" thread over in that section on the forums. That might be the best way to solve it honestly, split the thread to those two topics. I am in agreement Syrek where while I am totally open to the idea a joint thread, I kinda like having the more Lucina centric thread for the more off topic stuff as its own thing, even if we have to split it off from this one.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Guys this might sound crazy but I need you to test something out for me I don't have the dexterity to pull it off. So I have been getting short hop double fairs in theory. By that I mean, I am able to hear Lucina shout on the second fair and the sword hit-box sound as well. This leads me to believe that Lucina with a C-stick will be able to short-hop double fair successfully (although I could be wrong). If anyone can test it out and pull it off, that would be AWESOME.

Shaymikyu

I'm one of those people that always self-destructs with Mac. He's just not my kind of character, though I agree that he's a pain in the right hands, including obnoxious computers. Once I had a Classic run ended by a metal Mac on his home turf.
My one fear with that is trying to mix the talk from the four boards (or at least this thread and the Robin thead) might cause "pairing wars" to break out, or otherwise one group dominate the other and just take over the thread over all.

To be fair, if it becomes a problem would probably could just go make an "Lucina FE:A" thread over in that section on the forums. That might be the best way to solve it honestly, split the thread to those two topics. I am in agreement Syrek where while I am totally open to the idea a joint thread, I kinda like having the more Lucina centric thread for the more off topic stuff as its own thing, even if we have to split it off from this one.
True, sadly. Years of seeing Pokémon shipping wars break out over silly things (especially for a franchise that will likely never have many canon or even hinted pairings) has made me lax towards pretty much any pairing aside from the obvious disgusting ones, but with a game like Awakening where shipping is an in-game mechanic, it's sadly going to be even worse. Which is a shame, because while pairing is the big mechanic in the game, there's still more to it, like the platonic supports. I like some of those more than a lot of the romantic ones, like Sumia's with F!Robin, Tiki's with F!Robin, Basilio's with Flavia (since they can't S-Support), Owain's with M!Morgan, and Lucina's with non-sibling Cynthia.

Tribute

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0645-5788-4088
I was going to wait for the next Pokémon generation for the New 3DS, but if this happens, I might jump on it sooner. Even if I can't get it ASAP, maybe they'll have it in its eShop- that's how I've gotten a lot of the non-Mario/Zelda/Pokémon/biggest name franchise games.
ORAS will be out before new 3ds gets localized

unless you literally meant 7th gen

edit:

Aversa best waifu, while you're on the subject of shipping

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom