• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucina/Marth Movelist Video Comparison

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Since everyone is clamoring to know which moves are different in terms of frame data between the blue-haired Lords, I thought we could glean some info from these vids posted on youtube. This user called EWNetwork has done videos of the entire cast and comments on some subtle differences between Lucina and Marth.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I love this guys hair, but I'm not sure how he can say that some of Lucina's moves are faster/slower than Marth''s just by eyeballing it.

Maybe fair enough for Marvelous Combination but only because it does actually seem a bit faster.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I mainly looked at the jabs and the Dancing Blade. Marths jab did look faster while Lucinas Dancing Blade looked faster. Though Marths DB nor Lucinas Jab look slow by any means so thats good.

Unicorn

The Most Majestic
NNID
SenseiCrumb
Normally I don't like it when streamers/youtubers make their screen real estate bigger than the actual gameplay. But the hair made it worth it in this case.

Also even though Lucina's Marvelous Combination is really fast when not hitting somebody, don't they hit around the same speed with hit lag? Idk I can't really see a difference between the two.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that they feel literally identical from playing both (in terms of speeds).

If they are different, it's very hard to tell.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Yeah, Etika, while a great streamer and personality, isn't at all a credible source for this kind of thing. I'm going with identical frame data until proven otherwise.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
I was gonna say that I need a final destination version of this dudes hair, but then I realized that it pretty much IS the final destination version of his hair.

Anyways, from the gameplay I've seen, Lucina and Marth are identical in every way except for tip.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Yeah, when I watched them on stream they looked identical.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
I get the feeling that most successful Marth/Lucina mains are going to switch off between them depending on matchups.

If Lucina existed in Brawl, there are already a few matchups I can think of where I'd wanna use her mechanics instead of Marth's. High mobility characters like Sonic come to mind, for example. Since he is difficult to space against, the added damage of Lucina's non tippered attacks would be a huge bonus.

The other area where Lucina would have thrived over Marth is in edgeguarding characters with weaker recoveries. As Marth, edgeguarding an opponent with a tipped fair/bair would send them at an upward diagonal, thus making it relatively easy to still recover. A non tipped fair/bair however would send them at a much more convenient angle for gimping. Since Lucina can probably send her opponents at a more horizontal trajectory with her full length aerials- in theory, she should be more adept at gimping recoveries.

Against characters who aren't likely going to get gimped no matter what angle you send them at offstage (Brawl MK, for example), Marth would be more effective. Because the added knockback of a tipped aerial offstage is more likely to actually send the opponent out of the blastzone.

Just some food for thought. Currently I plan on using both depending on matchups. My intuition tells me that Marth will be more useful overall.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Lucina for 3DS

Marth for Wii U

Done
That may end up being a decent rule of thumb, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to flat out ignore the differences that their nuances will inevitably cause in their matchups. I'm not committing myself to anything yet.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Marth can never hit full potential in 3DS.

I will only use him in the invitational. After that I'm strictly Lucina on 3DS and Marth on Wii U.

grandmaster192

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5457-3748
How much knock back difference is there between Lucina and Marths sour spots? I don't think a 2-3% damage difference on moves is enough to change any match up tbh.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Seems like Lucinas Falchion always has the same angles as Marth's sour spot attacks. Which can be good and bad, depending on percentage and what you want to do.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
Can Lucina's D-air spike? Does she have the same grab range as Marth or was that nerfed from SSBB to SSB4?

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Can Lucina's D-air spike? Does she have the same grab range as Marth or was that nerfed from SSBB to SSB4?
It spikes in the same way that Marth's does (as far as I know, anyway). And I'm also quite sure their grab ranges are the same. :)

TheJerm

Smash Champion
When playing you do notice the difference in their swords pretty easily. I studied them for a couple of hours. Lucina felt a bit easier to kill with and slightly easier to combo with. And that small lack of range gave her a different feel. Marths tipper made him safer at spacing and he seemed to be the overall better character on paper, specially if you want to play a more precise style

Top Bottom