• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas : Ness Speculation Thread. Lucas Ness Styled Costume Added!!!

WiiLittleMan

Smash Cadet
Rumor?
More like lost in translation.
Everyone believes the translation. Everyone. :/
Though Lucas' has most of his moves, it's still possible Ness is in. I don't see how this rules anything out. YET.
Okay, I put it into babelfish (even though it's pretty crappy) and this is what came out. It's not quite word for word because some of the words were out of order, but this is what it was saying.

"The character which has appeared in previous games was Ness. However, Lucas is very similar."

That's the translation of the controversial part. In my opinion, that implies that Ness DID get replaced. (Especially the "however")

The Red M

Smash Apprentice
You know what would be freakin awesome? Sakurai doesnt tell us about Ness in any dojo update and doesnt tell us after release. Deconfirmed right? Well somehow someone will stumble upon a little unlockable that wasnt found yet and that lucky fellow gets a little message "Tricked ya on the website! NESS IS HERE!" It probably wont happen but its an idea.

dan smith

Smash Champion
I don't think making Ness a costume for Lucas works at all. Lucas has moves Ness would never have and lacks moves that Ness is famous for. I think it would be awkward and not appeasing at all.

Hippochinfat

Smash Ace
HES NOT IN! TO MANY NESS LOVERS ARE IN DENIAL. HE BASICALLY SAID HES NOT OUT AND A BUNCH OF LOSERS ARE TRYING TO MORPH WHAT HE SAID INTO SOMETHING THAT BENEFITS NESS. HES NOT IN SAKURAI SAYING HES BEEN IN EVERY SMASH GAME UP UNTIL THIS POINT PLUS LUCAS HAVING THE SAME MOVES IS THE death sentance jeez.

dan smith

Smash Champion
Holy **** man, yeah I agree...people need to, at the very least, stop arguing over Ness' inclusion with baseless assumptions.

But...you coming in here with your all caps and your high and mighty attitude, you have broken every single forum courtesy rule of conduct in existence. Your post was lacking substance, indescriminately insulting, and absolutely misguided. It proves that you have no idea what people are talking about and the fact that you would then, in that cirumstance, come in here and leave such a vulgar posts show that you really are a "smash child"

And take into account the fact that the person who is lecturing you (me) is actually in agreement with you. That dosen't bode well for your skills of intellagent persuasion. Get out.

I made that Italic so as not to completely sidetrack this thread.

As far as costumes go, there is no evidence for their existence at all. I've always said it would be cool, but so far this time around, it doesn't look like it's happening. I mean, Ike has a Sigurd color change, which if costumes were included, I would think would have been made more of a character alteration instead of a simple color change.

In regards to Ness overall inclusion. I would not want a costume, an AT, or a clone.(of course not)

A indepedent playable character with a different moveset would be weird. Same character, from the past two games...but somebody else has his moves...and suddenly he has different ones. I mean, I guess he could retain a percentage of his moves and then Lucas could steal a percentage...and technically that would work. But I think he'd have to have the same specials...and that would be a little weird. I still say, hypothetcially, robot Ness would be cool. It would the evolution of a character who has been in the series for a while. Lots of other fighting games have their characters evolve throughout the series. It could also justify his moveset alteration. Cause Robot Ness in EB couldn't quite do the same things.

At the moment however, I'm pulling for a dramatic cutscene in which Ness passes the SSB torch to his descendant Lucas. And on top of that, maybe Claus as playable...which would be so beast....

:088: :088: :088:

bluekitsune13

Smash Journeyman
The only reason I would like to see Ness return is because I've been so accustomed to him from the past two games. I've played Earthbound, but I didn't really l ike it. However, like I said, I have grown to like Ness from his inclusion in Smash. Heck, that's how I learned about Earthbound in the first place.

I do think it would be cool if he could be another "Luigified" character. However, looking at Lucas's moves now, I think it would be too close of a match. Think about Luigi in Melee (and in Brawl too). First, look at the Mario Bros. special attacks.

Fireball - Mario's flies downwards and bounces, while Luigi's will remain straight. This enough of a difference to distinguish the characters apart.

Jump Uppercut - Again, they are similar, but different. Mario's goes slightly diagonal and impacts with coins. Luigi's flies upwards, but is more powerful if you hit the sweet spot.

Tornado - In Melee, Mario and Luigi's tornado attacks were very similar. However, since Mario has a new FLUDD move this should further destinguish the individual brothers. I'm also betting that Luigi will have his Poltergeist Vacuum to suck characters in. If that's not true, he still will most likely recieve another down B move different than Mario.

Cape and Missle - Obviously these attacks are the most different than the other specials they have.

Now, Mario and Luigi's physical attacks were similar, but they were noticably different. Their fsmashes, fairs, and dashes to name a few. This is how a "clone" character can become their own.

Now, Ness and Lucas could act the same way. It's a longshot though. The part in the post that mentions "up until now" really puts another nail in the coffin on whether Ness will return. However, let's do the same analysis. Granted we don't have much info about Lucas, but judging from the screenshots and descriptions we have enough to make a reasonable guess.

PK Blast/Freeze - The execution looks very, very similar. The only exception would be that Lucas can freeze you. The change in element though I think is enough of a change, like Mario and Luigi's jump punches.

PK Fire - Ness's fire would travel downward diagonally in the air, and create a lasting pillar of fire to trap enemies. Lucas's remains horizontal in the air, and seems to be more of an explosive blast. This is a subtle change, but I think it's enough of a difference.

PK Thunder - This is where it gets shaky. None of Mario and Luigi's specials are totally the same. Again, we don't know how different this attack will be from Ness's, but this looks like it will function exactly the same.

PK Magnet - Again, this is way too similar to Ness's. From the picture it looks as if the magnet only covers the area in front of Lucas though, instead of all the area around Ness. It's the same move, only modified very slightly.

The biggest thing that I think would make Ness and Lucas playable individually would be their regular moves. Ness has some cool moves himself, like the baseball bat and yo-yo. Lucas has taken those away and has taken a more Zelda like approach by using "magic." Lucas also has the rope snake to use too, which Ness never had.

I think the big deal breaker is the lack of difference in special moves. In my Mario/Luigi comparison, the brothers share similarities in only two of their moves -- fireball and uppercut. This is assuming that Luigi's down B is changed to something else, which is a reasonable assumption I think. Now, Ness and Lucas have all four moves that are similar. There are no special moves that really set them apart. The Mario cape and Luigi Rocket for example are very different. I just don't see that difference with Ness and Lucas. The only thing that could set them apart are their physical moves. That, or if Ness gets a makeover.

Have I ranted enough? Sheesh. Anyway I'd hate to see Ness go as much as anyone else, but you have to know when to let go. If Ness is revealed on the dojo you bet I'll rejoice. Am I going to lose any sleep over it? Heck no! Still, I will miss him if he goes, but I will welcome Lucas with open arms

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
Just as a side note, I made that picture for fun, not because I think Ness'll be in it. If he makes it as an alternate costume or a Luigified version of Lucas I'd be fine with it, but I won't be upset by Ness' decomformation when/if he is in fact deconfirmed. Things look grim for Ness and while we may be pretty sure that Ness is out, there's still that chance that he makes it. I'll be happy for the Ness fans if he's confirmed but if he's cut, he's cut.

WiiLittleMan

Smash Cadet
Just as a side note, I made that picture for fun, not because I think Ness'll be in it. If he makes it as an alternate costume or a Luigified version of Lucas I'd be fine with it, but I won't be upset by Ness' decomformation when/if he is in fact deconfirmed. Things look grim for Ness and while we may be pretty sure that Ness is out, there's still that chance that he makes it. I'll be happy for the Ness fans if he's confirmed but if he's cut, he's cut.
I couldn't agree more. I don't care much for Ness, but if he was confirmed, maybe all the whiners would shut up.

sfox8

Smash Journeyman
HES NOT IN! TO MANY NESS LOVERS ARE IN DENIAL. HE BASICALLY SAID HES NOT OUT AND A BUNCH OF LOSERS ARE TRYING TO MORPH WHAT HE SAID INTO SOMETHING THAT BENEFITS NESS. HES NOT IN SAKURAI SAYING HES BEEN IN EVERY SMASH GAME UP UNTIL THIS POINT PLUS LUCAS HAVING THE SAME MOVES IS THE death sentance jeez.
Because obviously, yelling makes your point all the more valid...

I'm not a Ness user but I fail to see where Sakurai said Ness wasn't returning. You can't judge everyone else for making assumptions because you're being a hypocrite by doing the exact same thing. You're making an assumption that Ness has been deconfirmed because Sakurai said he's been in every game up until this point.

You do know that can be interpreted in different ways, right? It can mean "Ness has been in every game, until now, and won't be appearing this time around." Or it could mean "Ness has appeared in every game up to this point." Period. End of story. Simply because Sakurai said that he's been in every game up until this point, doesn't mean that he's saying he'll be out. Sakurai likes to trick us. You can see that pretty clearly. He likes to tease us with different things. There is no official "deconfirmation" as you are trying to force people to believe.

So if you want people to stop making assumptions, then I suggest you take a look at yourself before you try to correct someone else.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I wish everyone shared this mentality.

sfox8

Smash Journeyman
Agreed. As I said up there, I'm not a ness user, but I wouldn't mind if he was back in. I don't really see much of a difference between Lucas and Ness as it stands right now, so I don't think Ness fans should be TOO worried, since the character will be pretty much the same, only more badass. I won't be upset if he was deconfirmed but, like you said, I'll be happy for the Ness fans if he is included again (even as an alternate costume).

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
ouch. xD;

Yours is also nice, but hey, :p
so can most people at least abide with Ness being a Costume? I wanna hear what people would have him as if he were to be included in any way possible into brawl.
As of now, I'm leaning for him to be a Costume, but if he's got a character slot, even better.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Photoshopped Ness:
It would be a cool idea to have a Ness costume, but yea, it probably wouldn't work right. theyd have to modify the eyes and hat and itd look too far from lucas. if im not mistaken theres a shadow costume for sonic, but he dosnt have the shadow features like different spikes, he just has his colors.

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
yesyes, but look at the first post. look at daisy and peach. there's some pretty noticeable changes. The dress is totally different, the necklance is as well different, and her earrings. those are aside from the color changes.

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
I think Ness still chances...

I hope that Lucas has a regular double jump...

IF Ness returns for Brawl he would probably be even crappier now if he retains his DJ, since DJC seems to have been taken out.

I remember reading this. Guess we'll have to wait to see some Lucas footage to see if he let alone has a modded DJ, since he seems to be very similar to Ness

dan smith

Smash Champion
If not playable...

:088:

I would really appreciate a good dramatic cutscene in which Ness says farewell to the franchise and hands his bat to Lucas.

If they really wanted to they could have him travel back in time as a robot though. Whatever.

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
never really wanted to say clones, but i meant similar. I don't think brawl will completely avoid similarites. :)

and, let's smash. >:U

yeah! they atleast have to Luigify evereyone. or give them a small difrence

ex: Fox and Falco's normal Special. Fox is pretty infrequent while Falco goes triggerhappy.

Im fine with stuff like that. but mario and Docter Mario? same hitbox. same attacks. one has a hat. the other has a giant target on his head. one has pills(slightly stronger pills) and the other one has fireballs. and im emphasizeing lightly.

Clones FTL.

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
If not playable...

:088:

I would really appreciate a good dramatic cutscene in which Ness says farewell to the franchise and hands his bat to Lucas.

If they really wanted to they could have him travel back in time as a robot though. Whatever.
WOAH!!

I got goosebumps reading this. I like this idea, quite much actually.

Next Smash Bros Development team:
Everyone at Smashboards.com, the smart people.

SuperNinja:
Yeah, look at who's not confirmed on the dojo from melee.
Falco, Ganon, Cap'n Falcon, Jiggly, and a few more.
Those were the main clones, except jiggly, she floats which just makes her similar to kirby and such. But definitely not a clone. Anyway, yeah, see something there?

Ness being unconfirmed, and as well as the other clones from melee unconfirmed very much puts him in the same place as the rest of the cast.

anyone beg to differ?

dan smith

Smash Champion
Well if Ness was in with his old moves, he and Lucas would be similar which = lame. Claus would have some very unique moves...plus...he would go along really well with his twin brother.

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
Has anyone noticed that the clones from melee weren't confirmed yet?

:lick:

Like luigi, cap falc, falco, ganon,

Well, what i mean by yet, is from melee to brawl.
all an if.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
Has anyone noticed that the clones from melee weren't confirmed yet?

:lick:

Like luigi, cap falc, falco, ganon,

Well, what i mean by yet, is from melee to brawl.
all an if.
The likely returning clones are all characters flexible enough to get a new moveset. ESPECIALLY Ganondorf.

Falco will probably get an Assault based moveset...

The other clones can be thrown off a cliff for all I care.

dan smith

Smash Champion
Wow, I don't think I've seen anybody comment on the fact that none of the clones have gotten an update. Interesting, if it hasn't been posted yet...I think it could deserve it's own thread.

At most I think Lucas should have a Ness color scheme...like so many other characters.

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
Yeah.
Down to the bone? Most Melee clones seem like they'd get a new moveset, but who knows if they'd ever make it. I'm sure many people expect Luigi, Falco and Cap' But hey.

A different thread? Heh, I won't make it. XD;
As for Ness, PULL THROUGH!

WiiLittleMan

Smash Cadet
Even though Luigi hasn't officially been confirmed yet, a Nintendo rep at e for all accidentally (and unknowingly) spilled the beans on Luigi. He's in. I can't find the link to where I saw it, but it's fairly common knowledge to most people who kept up to date with e for all. You can ask around if you want.

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
Even though Luigi hasn't officially been confirmed yet, a Nintendo rep at e for all accidentally (and unknowingly) spilled the beans on Luigi. He's in. I can't find the link to where I saw it, but it's fairly common knowledge to most people who kept up to date with e for all. You can ask around if you want.

Yeah,I've seen this. But More information is just days ahead of us. D:

sfox8

Smash Journeyman
Captain Falcon's not a clone. Ganondorf is a clone, so I'm pretty sure CF will be in before Ganondorf. Of course I'd like both to be in, but yeah. Just putting that out there.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
Pikachu, Pichu, and Jigglypuff all had new costumes. Peach wasn't the only one.

FaceGuy

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't say Luigi is confirmed, and the same goes for Jigglypuff (who was mentioned by David Hayter). It is possible that they both just made a mistake in mentioning them. This doesn't seem as likely, but seeing as "confirmed" means "we know this for sure", neither are confirmed.

Top Bottom