• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas General Discussion

NeonApophis

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, multimagnets are definitely worth using. I'm not sure if they're the most efficient method for breaking a shield, but they are very safe. Doing grounded magnet -> aerial magnet -> DJC magnet quickly enough that you land on the ground out of the DJC magnet and can jump cancel immediately is Lucas's safest pressure. They're stuck in shield stun the whole time except for 2 frames before your aerial magnet (due to the time it takes you to jump from the ground). Lucas has a ton of options involving multiple magnets and DJC aerials though, and they can be put together in different ways depending on your technical capabilities or as mixups to stuff your opponents' out of shield options.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Hope Pink Fresh reads this, but you needa use B-throw on Fast fallers like Falco, it's a better method of killing than U-throw on them. The Lucas is definitely looking good though, just keep at the practice and get dem Melee techs.

I got hype seeing you do PKF to DACUS!

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
I like Lucas's that make frequent use of F-Tilt, F-Smash, that do a lot of DD's for the free Grabs he can get off anything committing an opponent does/any loose F-Air/other hit Lucas connects that doesn't send people far so he gets those free combos, and that does Magnets to reverse B-Air to finish combos for quick kills/close to kills off-stage (Edit: Oh, and in raw-neutrals too so he looks like Magneto/FC F-Air Peach/DJC F-Air Yoshi/that type of maneuver, just because it's sexy.)

That is all.

NeonApophis

Smash Apprentice
Nausicaa, I feel like you think ftilt is a lot better than it really is in comparison to Lucas's other moves. Yeah, it's really good since it's crazy fast and has good range, but it just doesn't lead into combos as well as almost all of Lucas's other moves do. I'm not sure why I would want to go for an ftilt if I have the option of going for something better like magnet, pretty much any aerial depending on percent, grab, or even utilt or dtilt. Ftilt just knocks them away and they shouldn't have too much trouble teching it and avoiding much follow up.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Ftilt as a whole is a weak option because there's a lot of similar tools that gives you the results you want but in a better way. F-tilt at its best is a move used to aid in edge-guards when your thought process reaches a halt/you hesitate/aren't sure of the best option in that spot. It's speedy, yes, but so is D-til, and that actually sets up for kills. It has range, but so does grab, which is unblockable and leads into other moves much better, on top of being able to kill. Likewise, FSmash will kill horizontally better and has plenty range as well.

Ftilt isn't bad, it's just outclassed.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Fsmash has deceptively poor range. I'm continually frustrated whe I use an offense up and it misses because I was too far away.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Lmao I laughed a lot at Burnsy's christmas avatar.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Zair is one of my favorite openers, because it's so non-standard compared to his attacks people kinda forget it's an option, especially if you switch between airdodges and instant ropes

I've noticed other Lucas mains play a multitude of characters (Neon, Calabrel, Oracle) and myself, any idea on why it's like this? Besides the fact PM has too many fun/good characters, haha.

Veishi336

Smash Journeyman
Zair is one of my favorite openers, because it's so non-standard compared to his attacks people kinda forget it's an option, especially if you switch between airdodges and instant ropes

I've noticed other Lucas mains play a multitude of characters (Neon, Calabrel, Oracle) and myself, any idea on why it's like this? Besides the fact PM has too many fun/good characters, haha.
You seem to be right about lucas mains. Playing a multitude of chars is really fun. Changing up your play-style multiple times makes it all the better....until we all head back to our mains, ie lucas, and just go insane with magnets and PPPPPPPPPPPPKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK....stuff. ^_^

HammerTime

Smash Journeyman

I enjoy playing Ness and Olimar as secondaries in addition to my Lucas, but when it's an important bracket match I use Lucas almost 100% of the time. SO I guess for me it's just the fun factor as opposed to needing other characters for Lucas' bad matchups. In my opinion he doesn't have any horrible matchups, but then again I'm an Ice Climber main in melee so my opinion of a horrible matchup may be different thatn how other people view it ( Peach-IC's :/ )

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I picked Lucas as my main because his hair is really badass and his playstyle is even more.

I also like to use Ness with pajamas and Roy (this one really deserves a lot of recognition since I actually hate the FE series)

Every character in this game has the fun factor included, which is why the random icon is my favorite choise at freeplays.

Also I believe it's a good idea to play a decent amount of characters since it helps you in the learning curve of different MUs.

NeonApophis

Smash Apprentice
I would guess that Lucas players tend to have good enough tech skill to easily pick up other characters, since Lucas is the most technical PM character and no one else is too difficult in comparison. This is definitely the case for me. I play Fox, Falco, and Peach in Melee, which gives me 3 extra PM characters right away, but also gives me a wide range of high level technical capabilities that make it easy for me to pick up new characters. Wolf has pretty much the same tech skill as Fox and Falco, so you just have to adapt and use his moves correctly. I obviously also play Lucas because he's amazing. And Lucario and G&W aren't too technical, but I like Lucario's unique combo system and G&W is super janky and helps me maximize my overall fraudulence.
I will note that I now play Lucas almost exclusively in tournaments. There are some situations where I might counterpick my other characters, but I feel like Lucas is definitely my strongest PM character against most opponents, because almost everyone has more experience against the other characters I play than they do against Lucas, and even if they do have Lucas experience I'm willing to bet that I'm better than the other Lucas players they've encountered. My Lucas isn't as well developed as my Melee mains, but in the context of the broader PM metagame, I think my Lucas is way more threatening than any of my other characters.

HammerTime

Smash Journeyman
I would guess that Lucas players tend to have good enough tech skill to easily pick up other characters, since Lucas is the most technical PM character and no one else is too difficult in comparison. This is definitely the case for me. I play Fox, Falco, and Peach in Melee, which gives me 3 extra PM characters right away, but also gives me a wide range of high level technical capabilities that make it easy for me to pick up new characters. Wolf has pretty much the same tech skill as Fox and Falco, so you just have to adapt and use his moves correctly. I obviously also play Lucas because he's amazing. And Lucario and G&W aren't too technical, but I like Lucario's unique combo system and G&W is super janky and helps me maximize my overall fraudulence.
I will note that I now play Lucas almost exclusively in tournaments. There are some situations where I might counterpick my other characters, but I feel like Lucas is definitely my strongest PM character against most opponents, because almost everyone has more experience against the other characters I play than they do against Lucas, and even if they do have Lucas experience I'm willing to bet that I'm better than the other Lucas players they've encountered. My Lucas isn't as well developed as my Melee mains, but in the context of the broader PM metagame, I think my Lucas is way more threatening than any of my other characters.
Yea from what I've seen your Lucas is pretty damn solid. Do you plan on going to any major upcoming PM events like Apex 2014? I've seen several of your vids on youtube but I can't recall if any of them were from large, well-recognized tournies

NeonApophis

Smash Apprentice
I really want to go to Apex, but right now PM isn't accepting more entries, so I'm not sure if I'll be going. There's a chance I might just go to enter Melee and then MM some people in PM. But I haven't gone to any PM nationals yet; all my existing tournament footage is just from AZ tournaments.

Veishi336

Smash Journeyman
@neon I agree with you with the amount of tech skill you gain from playing with lucas. He helped me learn to do almost everything on that game better.

I'm most confident with lucas as well. He is my most def go-to character for any and everything. But also fits right in with my TL, Falco, and Roy.

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
I recently came to the realization that PK ice is meant to open someone up, which explains why I'd approach with aerials and DA constantly and get punished/fail. However I'm realizing also now that it's vital to know when to use PK ice to open someone up too. Where to use PK and with what movement is knowledge I lack other than on a very basic level.

I plan to experiment and focus on improving upon this aspect once I am able to play again. At the moment, I'm not in a place where my Wii can connect to any component cables (I have YCbCr inputs and the only TV in my parents' house with those inputs is used by others a lot).

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
O yeah I didn't know anything about falco or how weight vs fastfall speed worked in PM.

I'm getting better though. I got 4th of 57 at ktar 8 LOL

I can't really practice, but I really want to >_<

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Usmash goes crazy far if you hit their shield. I'm assuming that's a result of the new shield mechanics, but I'm not sure.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
It is, haha. When I was at JCaeser's house for a 3.0 preview I noticed the change to shields IMMEDIATELY with DACUS. I was told not to mention it until the full release though

foshio

Smash Journeyman
This question may have been asked already but how many Lucas mains are going to Apex?? I am hoping to watch some uber hype Lucas sets!!

HammerTime

Smash Journeyman
I'm not going to apex but I am attending a fairly large melee/project m tourney this weekend which is being streamed by VGBootcamp. The tourney name is McSmashter 3 and the project m day is on this coming sunday if anyone cares to watch

NeonApophis

Smash Apprentice
Neon is going to Apex, I recommend everyone watches him.
I agree. haha
I'm not sure if I'm well known enough to get my early matches streamed, but I'm pretty confident that I'll make it fairly far in the tournament. And I'll probably be playing friendlies against some top melee players on the AZPM twitch stream while I'm there.

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)
i've got a question, i recently watched hammertime in McSmasher 3 (amazing lucas btw, simply incredible) he did this thing where he would go up in the air, shoot pk ice (or freeze, idk) in the direction he wanted to go, then he would use magnet right after it and would go flying to the other direction super fast, what is this tech called and how can i do it?

btw this probably the coolest character discussion forum out of all of them

Burnsy

Smash Lord
****ing magnets how do they work

Sorry I have no idea why it works, you'll have to ask a PMBR member (probably the one who actually works on Lucas' character file. The tech worked in Brawl as well. It has something to do with his aerial momentum, since it always sends him in that direction unless he b-reverses the magnet.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
well the reversed part was pry b-reversing the down-b.

b-reverse is pressing down-b then pressing back within 3 frames, switching your direction and momentum.

Wavebouncing is...
"
Kyle Barnick
[12/23/2013 10:09:12 PM] Strong Bad: [Monday, December 23, 2013 8:06 PM] James Madway (SpiderMad):

<<< to reverse a b-reverse is it another 3 frames to press the direction back once again?you cannot reverse a b-reverse
[12/23/2013 10:09:43 PM] Strong Bad: reverse b-reverse is reversing before the b-reverse
[12/23/2013 10:09:53 PM] Strong Bad: therefore you are not reversing the b-reverse, you are reversing the attack and then b-reversing that."

you're b-turnarounding the attack, and then b-reversing..within 3 frames maybe

Last edited:

HammerTime

Smash Journeyman
So is Oracle not going to use Lucas any more? From what I hear apparently he went all ROB at Apex and placed in top 8, very impressive but I would've liked to have seen his Lucas

NeonApophis

Smash Apprentice
So is Oracle not going to use Lucas any more? From what I hear apparently he went all ROB at Apex and placed in top 8, very impressive but I would've liked to have seen his Lucas
There are videos of some Lucas dittos that I had with Oracle. We only played like 4 games and weren't playing our best, but they're still pretty good matches.

Top Bottom