• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucaryu Official Discussion thread

Zoa

Smash Ace
Risky, Hylian, Darkgun, or any of the other advanced Lucario users help me out? I'm tearing my hair out (not literally) trying to figure out some use for his throws. The only one I'm not having any trouble with his uthrow, but the rest I cannot find any uses for. Bthrow and fthrow can't kill, and dthrow is so DI-able. Help?

Risky

Smash Ace
Dthrow and Uthrow are used as DI mixups. Uthrow can also be DI'd behind Lucario to make it minimally effective (especially at higher %). Most players are usually DI'ing away from Lucario so it makes Dthrow naturally a worse option, but makes Uthrow godlike. Conversely if they're using a lot of survival DI (towards Lucario), Dthrow becomes godlike. Uthrow near the edge frequently leads to aFP free stocks I've found. I have a match against Wolf and do exactly this for the last kill on his Link.

I hardly ever use Fthrow or Bthrow unless I'm trying to gimp someone near the edge. One use for Bthrow when they're low % with their back to the edge and I get a grab, as it allows for a very quick regrab in the middle of the stage leading to a combo with better stage positioning, without them being able to escape to the edge. It's not guaranteed at all but has had a high success rate.

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
fthrow is his GG throw (high percent killer) and can lead into combos at earlier percents. bthrow i havent found as much use for aside from throwing the opponent into an aura bomb, as can fthrow. dthrow may be DI able but you can also read their DI and attack accordingly. dthrow off the ledge > fall off aFP works on FFers (i tested it on fox, and have been told it works on others) at mid > sub 100% if they dont DI it right

his throw game isnt the best but they have uses...

Zoa

Smash Ace
Thanks for the inputs. I haven't really had much success with anything other the uthrow or FP/aFP against my practice partners. I like that idea for dthrow, bec. I'm gonna have to look into that for which characters it'll work on.

Darkgun

Smash Journeyman
So briefly, how would one abbreviate Aura Sphere to Shield (input: AS + [buffered]left/right/down + shield)? I feel like the obvious choice might not necessarily be the best one....

Edited. <_< >_>

Last edited:

Risky

Smash Ace
So briefly, how would one abbreviate Aura Shield to Shield (input: AS + [buffered]left/right/down + shield)? I feel like the obvious choice might not necessarily be the best one....
Made me lol. Did you mean Aura Sphere to Shield?

nimigoha

Smash Ace
This is 100% theory as I just thought of it and haven't gotten to my Wii yet, but I was thinking about a way to combo off a grab at low percents. Perhaps Dthrow>DTC>Jab/Tilt>stuff would work at like really low percents. I find it quirky how a lot of characters use their throws as combo or kill setups but Lucario's 'combo' throws are DI'd heavily and it can mess up follow-ups. So as a character built to combo, his combo throws aren't as good as some other characters.

Just some garbled thoughts.

Risky

Smash Ace
@ Darkgun Darkgun Technically you're talking about ASC to shield, right? That extra C should save you some shame.

Edit: Try to say that last part 10 times fast.

Last edited:

Invis

Smash Rookie
Need some help here. I've been using Lucario as my main for a while now and for the most part I can get people up to a high % pretty efficiently, but when it comes to getting the kill, I've been having trouble and will get them up to 120%+ before I manage to finish the stock. Anyone got any tips?

ViewtifulHoe242

Smash Journeyman
i wish this thread had a cooler name,something gym or dojo related or something to do with his typing.
Tower of Mastery?
Way of the Black Belt?
--->Dojo of Steel?<---
Aura Knights?
The Fighter's Path?
The Enigma/Riddle of Steel?
the bit about the secret of steel and learning its discipline goes hand in hand with the cancel system i think, learning its triumphs and downfalls. JEEZ i love this character too much

Last edited:

nimigoha

Smash Ace
Need some help here. I've been using Lucario as my main for a while now and for the most part I can get people up to a high % pretty efficiently, but when it comes to getting the kill, I've been having trouble and will get them up to 120%+ before I manage to finish the stock. Anyone got any tips?
It's hard to effectively combo characters into a kill move when they get too high. My go-to options are usually Grab>Uthrow (read DI)>Nair, getting an ACFP, or Dsmash. Getting them offstange with a DA and then chasing with Nair can work too. It really depends a lot on who/what percent.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
Anyone else use throws to make use of Aura Bomb? Sometimes I miss, but dem throws. :p

I still think Lucario should get a Goku Gi, because he has the same VA as Goku.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
I still think Lucario should get a Goku Gi, because he has the same VA as Goku.
Interestingly, this isn't precisely true, but it's not really false either. Goku's VA (Sean Schemmel) voiced Lucario in Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, and then Bill Rogers voiced Lucario in both the Pokémon television series and Brawl, and then Sean Schemmel came back and voiced Lucario in Smash 4.

In conclusion Lucario is still the Goku Pokémon.

Last edited:

Tero.

Smash Champion
Seing this I really want Lucarios dark alt to be more like Akuma

Changing the Belt and shoes and replacing the headband with prayer beads, maybe altering the tone of his skin/fur a little bit
I'm pretty sure the communities love for the PMBR would be infinite, would probably get us a few hundered SF4 players as well :D
Please consider it. I mean the intention with those alts where kinda obvious, might as well do it right then
Are people as desperate for the lucario akuma than I am?

Zoa

Smash Ace
Interestingly, this isn't precisely true, but it's not really false either. Goku's VA (Sean Schemmel) voiced Lucario in Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, and then Bill Rogers voiced Lucario in both the Pokémon television series and Brawl, and then Sean Schemmel came back and voiced Lucario in Smash 4.

In conclusion Lucario is still the Goku Pokémon.
Needs more Kamehameha and planetary destruction.

Tomo009

Smash Apprentice
I am definitely holding out for Goukario. Wish his hair/whatever they are were red though, would not only fit the reference more I think it would look better.

Last edited:

Zoa

Smash Ace
Alright, so I found out just how beautiful dtilt is (and how it completely overshadows his other tilts to my current knowledge), but how good is it exactly in competitive play? I know sweetspot at 0% stops CC completely, but how CC-able is the sourspot on someone like Mario for instance? The knockback is perfect for so many follow ups after ASC, though my Yoshi partner has almost no CC experience. Would really like to hear about this from others who've had actual experience with it.

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
dtilt is the best. its probably his best CC option since it comes out frame 5 iirc and, like everything, can combo into other moves. the sourspot is very CCable unfortunately but can link into either usmash, which is less CCable (not CCable? haven't done a lot of testing but i see it break CC early) or FP if they're not quick on the draw.

properly spaced it is also safe against peach's dsmash in my experience.

pinkdeaf1

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0387-9018-0614
This has probably ben discussed before, but what are some common ways to start/get someone into an aerial force palm?
I can only reliably say fair at lower to mid percents.

By the by, how do people see aura bomb out-of-shield being used?

Omega Male

Smash Cadet

Seems like it would be really slow. I've tried it and I usually get punished and lose a charge. I'm a pretty big scrub though so I could be doing it wrong.

Last edited:

Risky

Smash Ace

Well, from what I understand Aura Sphere's charging hitbox comes out on frame 1, and if you then canceled it into an Aura Bomb that would make it an excellent option.

Zoa

Smash Ace
On the topic of AB, how would you guys rate it as a shield against projectile users? One of my practice partners runs Link as main, and our last match ended up with my AB stuffing his projectiles enough to provide much needed cover to bait out Link's other options for punishes. Of course he didn't block it with his shield to get rid of AB (idea didn't come to him until later), but could it be useful against characters like Samus? The projectile covers a huge area, travels super slow, lasts a while, and can't be cancelled out by a projectile unless it does 17% damage.

Risky

Smash Ace
On the topic of AB, how would you guys rate it as a shield against projectile users? One of my practice partners runs Link as main, and our last match ended up with my AB stuffing his projectiles enough to provide much needed cover to bait out Link's other options for punishes. Of course he didn't block it with his shield to get rid of AB (idea didn't come to him until later), but could it be useful against characters like Samus? The projectile covers a huge area, travels super slow, lasts a while, and can't be cancelled out by a projectile unless it does 17% damage.
It is a good way to clear the screen. The issue I always have with this idea is using a charge on this instead of a Double Team cancel approach seems dubious. Stage depending, it's probably the better option, as it can be pretty hard to approach Samus/Link under certain platforms.

I wouldn't recommend doing it vs Snake. His Grenade, Darts, and Up-B all stop the AB immediately.

SilverAlloy

Smash Rookie
Didn't really see a Q&A thread, so I'm guessing I should do it here. How big/where is the sweetspot on Lucario's up-air? It seems pretty difficult to land but works excellently as a mixup out of d-throw/up-throw. Also can someone run me by the Lucario/Mario MU, including what stages to ban, where to cp, etc.?

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
it's at the tip, as are most of lucario's sweetspots. it is a little trickier to get used to since i think the hitbox extends past where you think it does, but once you get used to it, it's not so bad.

mario is stupid and broken, gl;hf. probably one of lucario's worst matchups. you'd want to ban stages that have walled sides (like wario ware, green hill zone, etc.) because they make mario's recovery even more broken with his wall jumps. unfortunately mario is just really hard to kill and gets easier, earlier kills on lucario. he's also extremely hard to get in on with his fireballs and he combos lucario harder than lucario can combo him - as lucario does tend to have problem with floaty characters, especially heavy floaties.

my recommendation would be to pick a different character to play the mario MU because it is ASS for lucario

Last edited:

Zoa

Smash Ace
It is a good way to clear the screen. The issue I always have with this idea is using a charge on this instead of a Double Team cancel approach seems dubious. Stage depending, it's probably the better option, as it can be pretty hard to approach Samus/Link under certain platforms.

I wouldn't recommend doing it vs Snake. His Grenade, Darts, and Up-B all stop the AB immediately.
I knew it wouldn't be good against projectiles with a "health" of sorts, but Snake's darts actually have that? o.O Was it a carry over from his old Nikita when they changed up the particles or something?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
So I was very curious about this, but does up taunt grant Lucario charge at the beginning or the end of the taunt? If at the beginning, I could see something interesting with taunt canceling to get aura more quickly between stocks or platform camping.

Last edited:

AkashSky

Smash Apprentice
Didn't really see a Q&A thread, so I'm guessing I should do it here. How big/where is the sweetspot on Lucario's up-air? It seems pretty difficult to land but works excellently as a mixup out of d-throw/up-throw. Also can someone run me by the Lucario/Mario MU, including what stages to ban, where to cp, etc.?

As bec said, banning large stages with walls and are devoid of platforms is a good idea.

When I play against Mario's I always try to counterpick a small stage because if the stage is small it is harder for the Mario player to zone you out with fireballs. If a Mario tries to fireball u too close you can punish it with a fair which will go thru the fireball and hit Mario. Also you do not go in against Mario without considering the possibility for a crouch cancelled down smash . Cc down smash is what all the Mario's I play against do when they are in a bind. You need to bait it out , then wait for a roll or a move after down smash. To punish. In my experience going in after down smash doesn't work because they can roll away or something. Also mAke sure you play patently vs Mario. Even if you are behind remember you have a full 8 minutes to make a comeback . Time is a plentiful resource in this matchup .

As for getting kills well it's really hard. The easiest way is super force palm but you can't fish for it or else they will see through it. Use it as a punish .

The one thing I don't want you to do is switch characters. If you switch from lucario, the Mario terrorist win.

Last edited:

AkashSky

Smash Apprentice
Just because I was very curious about this, but does up taunt grant Lucario charge at the beginning or the end of the taunt? If at the beginning, I could see something interesting with taunt canceling to get aura more quickly between stocks or platform camping.

It's at the end so that u can't taunt cancel abuse.

On the plus side if you get a star kill you can taunt twice without being punished. That's 20 percent of a charge!

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
empowered FP kill on the ground gets you three up taunts :)

Last edited:

Darkgun

Smash Journeyman
Currently there is not. This is due to the fact, within reason, there are no guaranteed strings spare normal>special with Lucario. There are one or two special case combos, to be fair (for example, vs 0%, I've yet to not land an approaching bair>aFP), but to claim that one will always land a utilt out of dash attack, percent permitting, would prove unwise.

Top Bottom