• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucario's overall changes in Smash 4

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
So with what we've seen so far is the competitive scene looking good for lucario? or do we need more testing and observing first?
Too early for this.

I'll update the OP tonight with the info posted. I'm trying to make sure this is all verified and all as well as doing homework.

Gune

Smash Lord
I kinda thought it was to early just making sure. Also is it me or does lucario seem more comfortable on the ground this time around?

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Most defenitly. I was a little worried at first about the changes made to his aerials, wavebouncing, and fall speed, but his ground spacing moves look good enough to outspace the majority of the cast, and quick enough to still bully heavys when you get in.

I'll just have to adjust when I get the game.
regardless of how he plays Lucario's always my home dog yo. -w-

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
At one point in a stream, I noticed Zero or someone else doing an AAA jab string that quickly canceled the ending cooldown of Jab3 into FSmash, as if his Jab3 has IASA frames.

But yeah he feels good on the ground. Bigger FP Flame, his tilts execute the same way, but perhaps used a bit differently. I've seen characters run & pivot their Ftilts fairly well, especially this guy = :4falcon:. I wanna see :4lucario: use his dash canceled pivoted Dtilt, if that's able to be done. Hell even his Utilt looks & appears quick & amazing. I also wonder if FP is done in the same way as well, since running pivoted ASC may have been confirmed already.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Regardless of what happens, just keep in mind to STOP ROLLING EXCESSIVELY.

It kills me to see vids of him, but then I just see roll spam. Enjoy getting a Villager Fsmash as a punish.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace

It kills me to see vids of him, but then I just see roll spam. Enjoy getting a Villager Fsmash as a punish.
That's going to be hard telling people starting to play the game who didn't play Rollcario in Brawl. Really, hard.:ohwell: Rolls in general improved to be safer & quicker, so yeah. . .I see rolling as a huge input for 3DS due to everyone having to adjust to playing Smash on a handheld early, perhaps it will sink in slowly that Rollcario shouldn't be excessive.

Zoa

Smash Ace
Lucario looks brutal in the range department now. It looks like he can keep up with projectile heavy characters from ZeRo's streams I've been watching.

Lucario already had the best dodges in Brawl. Now they're buffed? It's going to be REALLY tempting not to Riolu (bad pun I know) all over the place. I was definitely a Rollcario player for a majority of my Brawl days before deciding to improve my skill. Eating fsmashes should teach me not to do it after a while. :urg:

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium

omfg. No offense to the last video that was posted in here, but every time he stopped attacking, he started rolling. And it's like. Just seeing rolls excessively being done in sequence gives me like an anxiety attack. Even when it's not in a battle. It's like, post was stress triggers man. Hah!

So hey. Something I noticed about his cute new little jab is the first strike has one hell of an arch. I don't have the game yet, so I can't figure it out, but does anyone know how early the hitbox starts? Because the animation suggest it could smack people way above him which would be kinda neat.

EDIT: Btw, if ya'll want a character who's actually rewarded for rolling, check out this early Palutena play. My god, those rolls really do look like one hell of a mind**** when mixed up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrU5v_pKGgg

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Trela confirmed that ALL moves scale with Aura. This includes bthrow and dash attack, but not all moves are effected equally.

How amusing.

juice.Zucco

Smash Cadet
what's wrong with it? do they fall out of it a lot? I saw that happening with ike's jab
The jab combo barely works without them falling out and punishing you, though I hear that if you are RIGHT on top of them it wont, and it takes an incredibly long time to shield after you just jab once because jab cancels arent a thing I believe. just using dtilt seems like a better option but muscle memory and basic fighting game strategy leads me to want to jab all the time.

HiFlo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hi.Flo
3DS FC
1865-1068-2662
Found a pretty decent video of Lucario vs. Villager that shows off Lucario's faster smash attacks, faster Force Palm, down air, awesome new dash attack and more.
I have a question about something I saw in this video maybe someone can explain:
Start at 1:13 it happens in the few seconds after. Lucario does 2 consecutive ground dodges then throws out his jab (i think) while sliding backwards slightly. It didn't seem intentional but if there's a way to actually do that.... :D!!!

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I have a question about something I saw in this video maybe someone can explain:
Start at 1:13 it happens in the few seconds after. Lucario does 2 consecutive ground dodges then throws out his jab (i think) while sliding backwards slightly. It didn't seem intentional but if there's a way to actually do that.... :D!!!
Unfortunately, that's due to Villager's DownB Timber. The activation of it pushes you back since the root starts coming out, quickly growing into a tree.:shades:

HiFlo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hi.Flo
3DS FC
1865-1068-2662
Unfortunately, that's due to Villager's DownB Timber. The activation of it pushes you back since the root starts coming out, quickly growing into a tree.:shades:
Thanks for the quick reply, makes sense now.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Anyone know if Luc can still Air Walk like in Brawl and if so can we rename the tech "Walk the Dog"? :B

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Should change the OP's info about dash attack, since dash attack is affected by Aura. All moves are apparently, but some are not as heavily influenced.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Another question that needs to be answered is how aura works in this game? Are there Aura burst/level or does it actually scale on a smooth gradient?

Zoa

Smash Ace
So with fair set ups now nerfed, and the new addition of VI according to Strong Bad's research, it looks like Lucario is going to play much more differently now than compared to Brawl. Especially since all of Lucario's moves are affected by aura now, his combo game may have been heavily nerfed or buffed.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Anyone remember Brawl Lucario's FP landing without a Flame coming out from a delayed timing airborne? It was useless no questions asked, but if it didn't return, then that helps the convenience of not losing your FP Flame inputting it mid-air for a walling move.

I also wanted to ask if the size of FP's flame is large enough to be poking characters ledge-hanging, while we're at a fair distance spacing ofc.
And implying for a second that custom specials just in-case are tournament viable, could Lucario's shot-gun FP Flame reach a ledge-hanger?

warionumbah2

Smash Master
According Zero or some other stream, his max level aura boost he gains is at 120% instead of 180%.

His Extreme speed also gains distance so when you reach the 2nd to last boost or the final one you'll always make it back.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
According Zero or some other stream, his max level aura boost he gains is at 120% instead of 180%.
This is 100% wrong guaranteed, Aurasphere was still gaining damage up until at least 187%. Meanwhile, backthrow was gaining damage but not nearly as dramatic.

It seems like moves are scaled to gain Aura differently.

Last edited:

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
This is 100% wrong guaranteed, Aurasphere was still gaining damage up until at least 187%. Meanwhile, backthrow was gaining damage but not nearly as dramatic.

Ugh.. Lucario is going to be a monster of a Character to learn.

sparkaura

Smash Apprentice
So, we'd have to test Aura %'s for all his moves then. At around 80- 90% from vids/streams I've seen, it seems this is the % range where he starts to kill.

Zoa

Smash Ace
That chart reminds me of the aura mimimum and maximums I tested back in high school four or five years ago. I put my results up on Smashwiki only for it to get taken down. :glare:

warionumbah2

Smash Master

That could possibly be the 'Rage Mode' taking effect, lucario's aura boosts the damage more than the knockback while the Rage mode boost the knockback every 20% or so.

Its max aura is 120% the knockback was simply buffed due to the rage mode adding ontop of the aura boost and the max rage mode can boost is 200%. So no i'm not wrong.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
That could possibly be the 'Rage Mode' taking effect, lucario's aura boosts the damage more than the knockback while the Rage mode boost the knockback every 20% or so.

Its max aura is 120% the knockback was simply buffed due to the rage mode adding ontop of the aura boost and the max rage mode can boost is 200%. So no i'm not wrong.

Holy hotness, wait up. You're telling me Lucario's AuraBoost% on top of this 'rage mode' are stacking with each other, thus a new breed of Boost is formed?

This makes sense. I mean, Mega Lucario from the anime makes this relevant.:troll: But seriously, I can believe why Lucario FSmash is a threat, especially with AuRageBoost%.:shades:

And yes, AuRageBoost% is what I'm sticking with.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Well....****. I get the dumb award for all eternity.

That would explain a few things...

*Edit* Wait, I am talking about damage boost from Aura, not knockback. Aurasphere still gained a small damage boost up to 187%. Aura improves damage and knockback. This is what happened in Brawl, and it still happens in Smash 4. So I think Zero is still wrong regarding increased damage output at max Aura. Knockback would require more testing...

Last edited:

AuraStorm13

Smash Rookie
Huh. I first heard that the Rage Mechanic was essentially Aura Boost Jr. for all characters, which I didn't know how to feel about, seeing as it takes away a bit of what makes Lucario unique. Granted, Aura does affect a bit more things such a damage and other things like his recovery now, but I digress. However, if Aura Boost can stack with the Rage Mechanic (Which it should) then I'm fine with it, it still keeps Lucario's big risk vs reward playstyle intact, so its good that Lucario wont be having part of his gimmick stolen from him. So in short, provided Lucario can utilize this mechanic like everyone else, which is very likely, it makes me want to play Lucario even more now.

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
Also Rage doesn't increase damage, only knockback, while Aura does both. Plus Aura also increases the size of Lucario's Neutral B, Side B and length of his Up B. So it's doing a lot more than Rage, while he still gets both.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
So, we'd have to test Aura %'s for all his moves then. At around 80- 90% from vids/streams I've seen, it seems this is the % range where he starts to kill.
I would recommend doing it by damage incriment (when something increases by 1%) that way we can figure out when a move outpriorities another move.

Peach mains tend to stale their FAir in Brawl, so our Aura Sphere would outprioritize that at around 100%ish instead of 130%ish when our Aura Sphere was fresh. So... Anyone mind taking this project on? Or I'll do it when I get the game in October.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Important to note that Aurasphere no longer has amazing priority and can be easily canceled by projectiles, even at full charge. Small things like arrows and bananas can stop it now. Will need testing

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Important to note that Aurasphere no longer has amazing priority and can be easily canceled by projectiles, even at full charge. Small things like arrows and bananas can stop it now. Will need testing
By full charge, do you mean an Aura Sphere that's maxed out on aura?

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
Does amount of Aura affect priority? I'm guessing no, but if it does that could be good provided he doesn't start too low at low percents.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
. . .:urg::urg::urg::urg::urg::urg::urg:
Man. At least bananas can be destroyed with a move like jab tilt aerial or smash attack. Though. . .when you say full charge, you mean a default FCAS at low % right? Not a high % FCAS?

Top Bottom