• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucario's Gimping Game- STARTING WITH SNAKE!

F1ZZ

Smash Lord
Lucario I believe has an under developed gimping game that could be much more effective. I'm not saying that he is Metaknight when it comes to gimping but he is certainly not the worst by any means.

We are going to discuss the pros and cons of this gimping game and what is bad and good to do. My goal for this thread is to get a Gimping section for the Lucario Guide (I believe I should get the credit since it was my idea :)) since there isn't one as of yet.

Happy discussing! And please anything would be greatly appreciated.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
Don't nair offstage.

(I had to say it FIZZ I'm sorry.)

G-Beast

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4442-0111-1914
as long as you do a second jump near the stage and nair its not bad at all...

although i find that hitting only with the second part of Dair is amazing for gimping.... no one(often not even yourself, but i am working on it being expected) expects it at all, and their DI unless accidental is always bad and often puts them in a really, often unrecoverable, bad spot

Rayku

Smash Lord
I mainly play Brawl+ now, but I feel that Lucarios similarities in the two games can make for an accurate comparison.

The best way to gimp a character (without extra jumps) is to be smart about stealing their second jump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDcFvDsjrzQ#t=5m14s
^This is really old, and against a pretty sub-par Marth that could have survived, but...Yeah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFej14ZpLb0
^This is Brawl+, but it can still be used almost as efficiently. The only reason this particular gimp worked, however, is because Captain Falcon was unable to auto-snap to the ledge.

Night-san

Smash Journeyman
Bair, Dair, Fair spam offstage, Aura Sphere.

Discussion over. <<
Pretty much in a nutshell. The only thing I can add is footstool-jumping your opponent when you're near the bottom KO-zone, but that's a given for any character anyways. Lucario just happens to have decent vertical recovery, along with his wall-jumps/clings to aid him with it.

Lucario... doesn't have much to work with, gimp-wise. Anyways, he's better at KOing in the long run after a lengthy fight, because his aura gets pumped up from potential damage. After that, you're able to dish out more anyways if you're careful, so it's not really a severely bad thing if he can't gimp very well.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
uh... I really don't think we have anything gimp wise besides getting people out of their jump. (as previously stated by Rayku).

Harassment for little increments of damage is often more effective instead of going for gimps <_<
[except VS Falco]. If they're coming from below runoff fair/dair -> jump+nair onto the stage into anything is pretty useful.

If People SDI out of dair all the time I find it a boon offstage because they're right next to me for a fair <3.

Night-san

Smash Journeyman
Harassment for little increments of damage is often more effective instead of going for gimps <_<
[except VS Falco]. If they're coming from below runoff fair/dair -> jump+nair onto the stage into anything is pretty useful.

If People SDI out of dair all the time I find it a boon offstage because they're right next to me for a fair <3.
Precisely.
Though the dair thing... if you think they're going to do that, get outta the way, or bair them if you outrange their fair. On the upside, if they KO you, if you two are low enough they
may end up dying along with you if they don't have a really good recovery.

Rayku

Smash Lord
If I were to list characters that were potentially gimpable, I would say (in no order) it would be this:

Ike
Ganondorf
Captain Falcon
Wolf
Fox
Falco
King Dedede (Because they like to recover low, stage spiking them is easier than one might think)
Olimar
Yoshi (D-air ***** his second jump)
Donkey Kong
Link

Probably a few more, but at this point I just know that any character with a very linear recovery (one that must go straight up in order to recover) is at risk when offstage against Lucario

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I think Lucario's gimp game is good, people imo forget we can sometimes do this to marth too, unfortunately, Marth's edgeguarding means he can do the same thing back to us too.
Gimping is a very overrated tool though, most of the time a gimp occurs if the guy makes a bad mistake, like misreading and doing a doublejump mixup at higher percents, or dtilting and then getting hit.
Oh, and if you can force them to use their recovery, if you time dair well, you can rack a lot of damage if they tried to recover low, and will basically be doomed to repeat getting damaged in some shape or form if the lucario knows how to space it right.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
If I were to list characters that were potentially gimpable, I would say (in no order) it would be this:

Ike
Ganondorf
Captain Falcon
Wolf
Fox
Falco
King Dedede (Because they like to recover low, stage spiking them is easier than one might think)
Olimar
Yoshi (D-air ***** his second jump)
Donkey Kong
Link

Probably a few more, but at this point I just know that any character with a very linear recovery (one that must go straight up in order to recover) is at risk when offstage against Lucario
I think you should cratch Yoshi, Dedede, and possibly Fox and instead add characters like Diddy. Yoshi usually can avoid gimping if he just double jump airdodges past us with his absurd air speed, and Dedede's recovery seems to me as only really punishable; not so much gimpable because of Super Armor. Meanwhile, Diddy just plain cannot recover against our Aura Spheres forcing him to recover low, then us using our dair or Bair to smash him out of his barrels.

Rayku

Smash Lord
Scratch Yoshi, Dedede, and possibly Fox and instead add characters like Diddy. Yoshi will not be gimped if he just double jump airdodges, and Dedede's recovery is only really punishable; not so much gimpable because of Super Armor.
Yoshi I can understand

I've never gimped a Diddy Kong in my life without getting spiked in return. I find it very unsafe

Read my description next to Dedede, because that's why I said it.

Fox was just a theoretical.

F1ZZ

Smash Lord
Yes, the is the type of discussion I wanted to create. Glad to see that it is working and hopefully this continues.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
If you're gimping a Diddy, they are not recovering right. I'm dead serious.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Seriously though, Marth is in a very compromised position offstage (unless he's the one edgeguarding), I don't get why most people don't think this is so, even many Marths will agree with me.
Dedede's jumps can be abused, especially if he has to recover from below, but unfortunately, if he recovers from above, you don't have much to work with besides AS and lucky uair/bair kills.

Bowser, and to a lesser extent, DK are also abusable, only if recovering from below though, otherwise you can just punish from above. I'm not kidding, after playing Thrilla and Kevin, if you space dair, you can hit them out of upB (but they don't usually really need to use it unless from recovering from below or if at really, really high percents, their double jump/momentum canceling helps a lot).

Basically for some others you have to mindgame them into pseudo-WoP stuff to gimp them, which fortunately fair and dair do pretty well.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
If you're gimping a Diddy, they are not recovering right. I'm dead serious.
How in the world is he supposed to recover? Dair/Bair knocks him out of his barrels or double jump extremely easily, and Aura Sphere forces him to recover low. What options does he have?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Flipkick (or whatever it's called) and Rockettbarrel are good recovery moves. I don't know why people think Diddy has a bad recovery...and Diddys will save their second jump. It's very rare to see a Diddy recover low unless they absolutely have to.

If Diddy was easy to gimp, it would make the matchup easier, but it's obviously not the case. <_<

Gea

Smash Master
Even if they recover low, they usually recover at an angle to shoot straight up to the edge, so unless you are holding something to Zdrop, they just wait till you have to reposition on the edge.

Flip jump beats anything you have if timed right and they can save the DJ for after it. Not saying it is impossible to gimp a Diddy, but on that note it isn't impossible to gimp a D3/Marth (lol gotta love grab release on D3). Just the majority of your kills will not be edgeguarded gimps, and the ones you do get will either be mistakes on Diddy's part or a Z dropped nanner.

Also, why does your sig have boobs? This is why the Lucario boards give me the willies.

Rayku

Smash Lord
Also, why does your sig have boobs? This is why the Lucario boards give me the willies.
Furries, man. They get off to this stuff :laugh::laugh:

I'm glad Rockettrainer backed me up on the Diddy Kong statement. I really don't like the Diddy Kong matchup, even though I've gotten pretty good at it myself. He just has too many options of jumping in order to get back to the stage, via the ledge or just recovering to get back on.

The main tools for gimping characters with "linear" recoveries off the side is F-air. Just going far out offstage, chaining F-airs together is very good. Some characters simply just have to fall to their deaths. Think Jigglypuff vs. half the cast in Melee.

If they're recovering low, D-air is such a godsend just because it does not necessarily spike or anything like that, but stage spiking is easily one of my favorite tools Lucario has.

I guess you could say Fox isn't really gimpable if they DI properly, but if you get him offstage using his Firefox (same goes with Falco), they're going to be taking a lot of damage because you can simply D-air them several times for extra damage, and either grab the ledge FOR the gimp, or just get up off the ledge yourself and punish their landing lag as you so please.

Vionce

Smash Journeyman
I mainly play Brawl+ now, but I feel that Lucarios similarities in the two games can make for an accurate comparison.
reallly? I feel like they are two completely different characters. In brawl + you have to be very aggressive and go for gimps. Bair and uair don't kill as well either. fsmash and dair seem to be about the same, maybe a little bit weaker. With shield stun and auto L-canceling, sh-fair-fair-grab-fthrow rinse and repeat works pretty well. In vbrawl that will almost never happen.

in vbrawl I feel like lucario benefits more from defensive play with some camping.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Lucario can easily gimp Link, no way anyone can debate this. Toon Link isn't as gimp able but he can be if you can get him into the situation.

If you can force Snake to recover low or you harass him with Bair/Nair he could be gimpable, still not likely if he recovers high.

Yoshi, footstool?

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Even if they recover low, they usually recover at an angle to shoot straight up to the edge, so unless you are holding something to Zdrop, they just wait till you have to reposition on the edge.

Flip jump beats anything you have if timed right and they can save the DJ for after it. Not saying it is impossible to gimp a Diddy, but on that note it isn't impossible to gimp a D3/Marth (lol gotta love grab release on D3). Just the majority of your kills will not be edgeguarded gimps, and the ones you do get will either be mistakes on Diddy's part or a Z dropped nanner.

Bair/Dair intercepts the Rocketbarrels, and you use Aura Sphere to force them to airdodge and recover low. If they flip kick, I'm pretty sure it loses to Bair, and you also need to remember that if they do flip kick, then they lose both their jumps and the ability to rocket barrel.
Flipkick (or whatever it's called) and Rockettbarrel are good recovery moves. I don't know why people think Diddy has a bad recovery...and Diddys will save their second jump. It's very rare to see a Diddy recover low unless they absolutely have to.

If Diddy was easy to gimp, it would make the matchup easier, but it's obviously not the case. <_<
He doesn't have a bad recovery, it's just that it feels like Lucario's aerial moveset was sort of made to gimp Diddy Kong. Diddy really doesn't have any answers to it at all when recovering. :\

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
Yoshi, footstool?
nah... this almost never works.... However, gimping yoshi is still possible, the 2nd jump to airdodge stuff can be gotten through if your onstage and have an aurasphere. after baiting the airdodge you can jab the crap outta him before he lands then knock him offstage again while he doesnt have a 2nd jump. however, most Yoshis will egg before using the 2nd jump to make you leave them alone, so get ready to powershield.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Bair/Dair intercepts the Rocketbarrels, and you use Aura Sphere to force them to airdodge and recover low. If they flip kick, I'm pretty sure it loses to Bair, and you also need to remember that if they do flip kick, then they lose both their jumps and the ability to rocket barrel.

He doesn't have a bad recovery, it's just that it feels like Lucario's aerial moveset was sort of made to gimp Diddy Kong. Diddy really doesn't have any answers to it at all when recovering. :\
It seems like that on paper, but when you actually play, you find out that Diddy isn't as helpless as you think. I've only managed to gimp Diddys if they really mess up during recovery or they are just sandbagging.

Gea

Smash Master
What? As long as the kick itself does not come out (which, unless you're over the stage, there is no reason for him to ever kick, as he gets invincibility frames (!!!) and the chance to latch onto you otherwise) he can double jump and rocketbarrel afterwards. I don't get why you think flip kick suddenly makes him unable to do anything if used.

He has invincibility frames. If timed correctly, you can't beat it besides anticipating and retreating or forcing him to use it. He has more than enough options to make it back every time unless he screws up.

All of this is ignoring his wall jumps and cling (and reverse popgun). I mean come on, I could argue that durr its easy to gimp Lucario, he has a crappy up + B, just grab da edge! But in practice, how often does a good Lucario get gimped? Only when he makes a mistake, usually.

Gea

Smash Master
Yes, but he seems to disregard the entire move as only the kick, which is ignoring the most important aspect of the move.

Zucco

Smash Master
I use Nair on snakes offstage when they are recovering with the cypher sometimes, only when the nair actually will knock him off though. doing it right will get you hit by the cypher, cancelling any lag that nair has after the hitbox. might be stupid but it does work.

Rayku

Smash Lord
reallly? I feel like they are two completely different characters. In brawl + you have to be very aggressive and go for gimps. Bair and uair don't kill as well either. fsmash and dair seem to be about the same, maybe a little bit weaker. With shield stun and auto L-canceling, sh-fair-fair-grab-fthrow rinse and repeat works pretty well. In vbrawl that will almost never happen.

in vbrawl I feel like lucario benefits more from defensive play with some camping.
Aura still works the same way in Brawl+ that it does in vBrawl, so the reason you think that is because you don't really hit your opponent as hard when you're at higher percents. Trust me, I thought the same thing.

I would talk about the similarities and such, but I could probably discuss this with you in person if you really wanted to. My AIM is raykuthunder.

About the Diddy Kong stuff: The best way to gimp a character that is falling towards the stage is to shoot an aura sphere at them (preferably a big one, so that they will be forced to airdodge). This will force them to recover low, in which you can punish their airdodge with a D-air (even if it won't kill them, it's still free damage and they're still off the stage, putting you on the high ground).

A good way to force Snake to do what you want is if they are recovering high, shoot an Aura Sphere able to kill him at his Cypher. This way, by the time it gets to them, he'll be forced to airdodge, and then you can N-air him with a frame advantage. I've only done this a few times, but in certain situations, it does work. I wish I had a video of it :/

F1ZZ

Smash Lord
I see that discussion in this thread has stopped, so now I am going to try to get this section down for next week.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
People need to capitalize on FF fair offstage more when the opponent is recovering from below and is juuuuust within the distance to try their average recovery (aka mario, marth, etc.), then you get to DJ -> fair or dair depending on how high their percent.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
It seems like that on paper, but when you actually play, you find out that Diddy isn't as helpless as you think. I've only managed to gimp Diddys if they really mess up during recovery or they are just sandbagging.
I'll agree that gimping a Diddy isn't exactly that simple, but it's really not that hard to edgeguard him and harrass him offstage with our options. In all honesty, I still believe that he is one of the more likely characters to be edgeguarded mercilessly or outright gimped by Lucario compared to the rest of the cast if done right. His options are just too few, and Lucario's are just too effective, even if he's no Meta Knight.

What? As long as the kick itself does not come out (which, unless you're over the stage, there is no reason for him to ever kick, as he gets invincibility frames (!!!) and the chance to latch onto you otherwise) he can double jump and rocketbarrel afterwards. I don't get why you think flip kick suddenly makes him unable to do anything if used.
The Monkey Flip is completely vulnerable by itself. If you're edgeguarding Diddy Kong aggressively, or predict it and launch an aura sphere, Diddy Kong really cannot use the flip kick without severely endangering himself. All I'm getting at is that Flip Kick is very punishable and it is entirely possible to either intercept it or make the distance gained negligible by hitting him back again. Also, until high aura sphere charges, iirc the Flip Kick clashes with/can go through Aura Sphere, which is a reason why he would be using it when closer to the stage in the first place if you're not in range to punish it. (Lucario's too slow.)

He has invincibility frames. If timed correctly, you can't beat it besides anticipating and retreating or forcing him to use it. He has more than enough options to make it back every time unless he screws up.
Airdodge forces him to recover low, which generally means he either has to use rocket barrels or other means to get back to the stage from below. Lucario absolutely destroys Diddy Kong if he tries to recover low with Dair and Bair. Sometimes we can fair him too if he gets super sloppy, but I wouldn't count on it due to Fair not always beating out Monkey Flip and losing to his own fair. ._.

All of this is ignoring his wall jumps and cling (and reverse popgun). I mean come on, I could argue that durr its easy to gimp Lucario, he has a crappy up + B, just grab da edge! But in practice, how often does a good Lucario get gimped? Only when he makes a mistake, usually.
Wall jumps are bad, bro. Lucario's wall jumps are situational and punishable enough, but Diddy's is even worse in both getting to the wall and for his options out of it. Popgun is a mindgame as well. It's still punishable.

Honestly, in some matchups, I think Lucario is usually not being edgeguarded enough myself. Take for example, DDD or Meta Knight, or probably even Marth. Lucario's options offstage in these matchups are extremely limited, and as such Lucario should be taking either extreme amounts of damage or dying outright most of the time he gets sent offstage. Unless the opponent screws up or wasn't in a proper position to edgeguard, (such as DDD hitting Lucario across the stage and not reaching the other side before Lucario comes back.) Lucario honestly shouldn't be making it back all that safely. However, the reasons that Lucario is having trouble recovering in these matchups are not all that related to Diddy Kong's trouble against Lucario, and you know it. Lucario's floatiness, combined with his very ranged aerial movepool, allows him to generally recover from nearly any attack with very few cases in which he actually needs to use Extremespeed. Diddy Kong is on the faster side of the fall speed list, with mediocre air mobility. These traits make him much more dependant on his Barrels for recovery.

He doesn't mean the flip itself, just when it goes into a kick, which a good Diddy shouldn't do <_<;
If it goes into a kick, it beats Aura Sphere, allowing him to recover near the edge quickly without worrying about Aura Sphere. Other than that, yeah, the kick is pretty meh, but it is his best protection against some moves. :\
Yes, but he seems to disregard the entire move as only the kick, which is ignoring the most important aspect of the move.
No, I'm not. <<

When Diddy is offstage and Lucario is near the ledge, Diddy has very, very few options due to his very poor recovery special in this matchup. Unlike Lucario, he doesn't have enough floatiness to make up for it and will have to use it muuuch more often than Lucario uses Extremespeed. If you force an airdodge with Aura Sphere, he will be put in a very compromised position, and often will be forced to use Rocket Barrels. If he does perform the rocket barrels, then Lucario's aerials easily intercept them, usually putting him in an even worse position if he doesn't get gimped entirely. :\

Low-% gimps are highly unlikely due to Diddy putting himself back onstage very quickly, but mid-% and high-% gimps are definitely fair game.

Rayku

Smash Lord
Very low percent gimps are very hard to do with Lucario. I'd say Lucario's best gimping potential is when the opponent is at about 50% or so, which is still pretty awesome.

However, at low percents, even though you may not kill your opponent, Lucario is very good at harrassing the opponent from getting back onstage properly.

Mace.

Smash Rookie
Would it be possible to make a gimp section for each character? Because some of these tactics will work, and some won't, against certain characters.

ps you left off motherboys...easiest gimps ever!

F1ZZ

Smash Lord
Hmmmm? We could do a gimp section for each character, kind of like the MU thread.

What do you guys think?

F1ZZ

Smash Lord
Okay so I guess the idea of a gimp section for each character is good to go. The only thing is I need someone to make the exports due to me not having the time. (I will run the thread though)

Is there any volunteers to make the exports?

Top Bottom