• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lucario Social: Aura Dog Days of Summer

Enemis

Smash Cadet
NNID
ToaEnemis
3DS FC
4596-9466-3207
So I've been back from that tournament I was talking about. Got my butt kicked by this Rob. The item spam was so real I couldn't even charge my Aura Sphere #__# Never faced one that persistent. And I wasn't doing half bad in the tournament before that either. All my other matches were very close, but this Rob 2 stocked me. >A> I'm totes salty lol, you guys have any advice for that match up?

Enemis

Smash Cadet
NNID
ToaEnemis
3DS FC
4596-9466-3207
Hi Enemis. I have a bit of advice. I've vsed a few R.O.Bs in my time and I feel your pain. I would recommend keeping your space while maintaining a close fight. Normally, if I see them charging the spin top, I'll charge an aura sphere and shield when they throw it. There is a delay on the lazier so you could possibly punish with an aura sphere. Hopefully this is useful.
The problem with this guy is that he didn't charge the top. he would full hop and throw it at me, despite my back being to the edge the top would always make it to me and I'd have to shield. problem is when you shield a top it disappears and he can immediately send another one at you. it literally shut down any attempts from me to charge lol. I'd eventually give up and try to approach, but he'd do a retreating short hop nair. That move has a huge hit box, and it doesn't seem to have any landing lag because he was able to throw tilts and jabs before I could tag him when he reached the ground .-. So SH -> nair -> FF -> jab or F-tilt. This guy put the for glory Robs to shame.

Also apparently if mario tries to cape you when you recover back to stage with ES on Omega Battlefield, if he misses and you're just below him you'll land the hit and stage spike him. Happened to this guy I faced in losers bracket. He was very shocked, and very salty ^^" it cost him the game. So if you know for sure your about to get caped, aim a little lower than him, ES has a large disjointed hitbox, you might be able to take him with you lol. I actually manage to reach the ledge and recover back on stage though.

Last edited:

Superior Spider-Mew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MiniRagnarok
So I've been back from that tournament I was talking about. Got my butt kicked by this Rob. The item spam was so real I couldn't even charge my Aura Sphere #__# Never faced one that persistent. And I wasn't doing half bad in the tournament before that either. All my other matches were very close, but this Rob 2 stocked me. >A> I'm totes salty lol, you guys have any advice for that match up?
Well if it makes you feel any better, I've lost to a Rob like that before, the gyromite is pretty useful for Rob lol. Also, was this tournament local or online?

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Hey guys. I've been getting a burning hatred for Project M's Pseudolucario again. Who wants to join me in protest?

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario
So, I'm playing Karnu. And, I'm like what the hell. He just released this whole lot of hurt on me. I can't lie to the Smash boards Karnu. I have to tell them what you been hiding.

This guy is amazing. He will hustle you like crazy, get your ego high, then strip that all a way. Karnu, you are a Legend!!!
I would like to have a match with him, he can help me improve my guide and game-play
(I just hope to not be owned ><)

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
So I have a funny/uplifting story about how I became a Lucario main. I first started Smash all the way back in 2003 when I got SSBM for Christmas. Never really was a competitive player (mainly because my friends and brother would always wreck me).

Along comes 2008 with Brawl being released and my two mains, Dr. Mario and Mewtwo, are sadly removed. I try a couple of characters: Ike, Wolf, Ice Climbers, Lucas. But nothing ever "clicked" with me. Every match with my friends would end up in me getting the punching bag treatment and taking 120+% due to my offensive and impatient play style back then. Usually the Smash session ended in me Rage Quitting because I'd always be the the first to die. The salt was real.

Then, one day, I was reading the trophy descriptions (because why the hell not?) and I came across Lucario's. It explained the aura mechanic of how the more damage Lucario had, the more powerful he becomes. This was the literal "Lightbulb moment" cliché seen in cartoons. That week I spent so much time in training mode trying out everything I could possibly do with Lucario against my friend's mains. "How much lag does this aerial move have?" "How far is the reach on this smash attack?" "Do I have enough time for a grab?"

The next time I fought my brother, a solid Marth player, I kicked the Aura right out of him. He'd get so frustrated because he couldn't KO me at 150%, yet I could KO him at much less. Lucario not only made me better at Smash, but also made me a more patient person due to his defensive playstyle. When I did lose, I never blamed the other players for using a "cheap" character or "getting lucky". I blamed myself and tried to learn from what went wrong.

I never did get into the competitive scene for Brawl (I was in, like, middle school at the time) until just recently with Smash 4. Currently I am celebrating the triumphant return of the Doc (and Mewtwo in a couple months), but I still try to play Lucario whenever possible and he's always fun to use. I just went to my first tournament this month using mainly Lucario and did surprisingly okay. I personally think he got quite a bit better in this game.

All in all, this magnificent Blue Anubis-Dog-Goku-Mon will always have a special place in my heart.

Auramaniji

Roasted!
NNID
N/A
So I have a funny/uplifting story about how I became a Lucario main. I first started Smash all the way back in 2003 when I got SSBM for Christmas. Never really was a competitive player (mainly because my friends and brother would always wreck me).

Along comes 2008 with Brawl being released and my two mains, Dr. Mario and Mewtwo, are sadly removed. I try a couple of characters: Ike, Wolf, Ice Climbers, Lucas. But nothing ever "clicked" with me. Every match with my friends would end up in me getting the punching bag treatment and taking 120+% due to my offensive and impatient play style back then. Usually the Smash session ended in me Rage Quitting because I'd always be the the first to die. The salt was real.

Then, one day, I was reading the trophy descriptions (because why the hell not?) and I came across Lucario's. It explained the aura mechanic of how the more damage Lucario had, the more powerful he becomes. This was the literal "Lightbulb moment" cliché seen in cartoons. That week I spent so much time in training mode trying out everything I could possibly do with Lucario against my friend's mains. "How much lag does this aerial move have?" "How far is the reach on this smash attack?" "Do I have enough time for a grab?"

The next time I fought my brother, a solid Marth player, I kicked the Aura right out of him. He'd get so frustrated because he couldn't KO me at 150%, yet I could KO him at much less. Lucario not only made me better at Smash, but also made me a more patient person due to his defensive playstyle. When I did lose, I never blamed the other players for using a "cheap" character or "getting lucky". I blamed myself and tried to learn from what went wrong.

I never did get into the competitive scene for Brawl (I was in, like, middle school at the time) until just recently with Smash 4. Currently I am celebrating the triumphant return of the Doc (and Mewtwo in a couple months), but I still try to play Lucario whenever possible and he's always fun to use. I just went to my first tournament this month using mainly Lucario and did surprisingly okay. I personally think he got quite a bit better in this game.

All in all, this magnificent Blue Anubis-Dog-Goku-Mon will always have a special place in my heart.
That's one of the composed stories I ever heard a main say.
I was once a Mario/Dr.Mario and Mewtwo (and oddly pichu) main myself, until they got removed. After that I kinda found for Lucario not because of the damage buff itself, but his appearance. I practically love Egyptology and when I found out that Lucario was inspired by Anubis (who is my favorite mythological god) I instantly made the swap from Sonic in brawl.

On the hand, this thread though. It should be renamed:
"Aura Confessions And Questions' A Social Group Discussion" :dizzy:

Rysir

The shorts wearing blue anubis
NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
I main Lucario because his playstyle sits well with me, and that I like him!

DireWolf

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1822-1646-5262
The first time I played a smash game was at a friend's birthday party shortly after brawl's launch. Someone picked cario and I thought his final smash / aura phir3 looked awesome, so I tried him next round. The little growl he did on the CSS was an instant sell.
Later I learned about the aura mechanic and had an excuse to go aggro all the time. Who needs FFA wins when you have kills

Last edited:

Superior Spider-Mew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MiniRagnarok
I remember I was surprised to see Lucario in Brawl. I was just playing subspace then I got to the scene where Meta Knight and Ice Climbers run into Lucario and I was all "oh snap! what? Lucario is in the game?" I was never really in the loop around 2007 because at the time I didn't have accessible internet so I didn't know about the Lucario leak. I also remember being a bit confused that Mewtwo wasn't in Brawl but I wasn't angry like most people were >_>

Zee'mmoro

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zee'mmoro
3DS FC
4914-3176-0599
When Melee was around, I, like BugCatcher, wasn't really competitive due to both my brother wrecking me and that I was a little too young to realize everything. I mained Mewtwo back then, and when Brawl came out (I got the game nearly two years later along with a Wii), I was surprised that Mewtwo wasn't there.

And that's when I met Lucario. I watched the movie 'Lucario and the Mystery of Mew', and after totally not crying thought that he was a pretty awesome jackal. I unlocked him in Brawl, and after playing with him a few times, I pushed Dedede aside to make him my new main. Best switch ever.~

Auramaniji

Roasted!
NNID
N/A
When Melee was around, I, like BugCatcher, wasn't really competitive due to both my brother wrecking me and that I was a little too young to realize everything. I mained Mewtwo back then, and when Brawl came out (I got the game nearly two years later along with a Wii), I was surprised that Mewtwo wasn't there.

And that's when I met Lucario. I watched the movie 'Lucario and the Mystery of Mew', and after totally not crying thought that he was a pretty awesome jackal. I unlocked him in Brawl, and after playing with him a few times, I pushed Dedede aside to make him my new main. Best switch ever.~
Although I didn't cry at when ash got turned into stone, Most of the Pokemon movies i've had watched brought out the :4shulk:'s.

Btw, I love this social thread because of stories like these.

Zee'mmoro

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zee'mmoro
3DS FC
4914-3176-0599
Although I didn't cry at when ash got turned into stone, Most of the Pokemon movies i've had watched brought out the :4shulk:'s.

Btw, I love this social thread because of stories like these.
Agreed.~ I wish I knew this site and such sooner. I'm really liking the atmosphere here. And I was so confused when Ash was stoned that I didn't even blink. o.O

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
And that's when I met Lucario. I watched the movie 'Lucario and the Mystery of Mew', and after totally not crying thought that he was a pretty awesome jackal.
Holy crap, I remember bawling my eyes out when I first watched that. I still tear up a bit to this day. Along with Pikachu's Goodbye, Bye Bye Butterfree, the movie where Celebi dies, the movie when Latios dies...

Actually, was there an episode/movie where I didn't cry?

Zee'mmoro

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zee'mmoro
3DS FC
4914-3176-0599
Holy crap, I remember bawling my eyes out when I first watched that. I still tear up a bit to this day. Along with Pikachu's Goodbye, Bye Bye Butterfree, the movie where Celebi dies, the movie when Latios dies...

Actually, was there an episode/movie where I didn't cry?
They do a good job at tugging on the heartstrings. :3 I haven't watched Pokemon in about a year, but I'm sure if I were to rewatch some things, my eyes would get wet.

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
They do a good job at tugging on the heartstrings. :3 I haven't watched Pokemon in about a year, but I'm sure if I were to rewatch some things, my eyes would get wet.
I feel ya. I'm currently trying to watch all the seasons of Pokémon over again (right now I'm at the Orange Islands). You definitely catch some jokes that flew over your head when you were a kid as well as experience the heartstring-tugging all over again.

Also,
I remember when I was 9
The Internet's voice echoed: "Kami! There's a time and place for everything, but not now..."

Zee'mmoro

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zee'mmoro
3DS FC
4914-3176-0599
I feel ya. I'm currently trying to watch all the seasons of Pokémon over again (right now I'm at the Orange Islands). You definitely catch some jokes that flew over your head when you were a kid as well as experience the heartstring-tugging all over again.

That's the fun thing about going back to shows you used to watch. x3 I have a brother with special needs, and he likes the music of shows like Pooh Bear and such. Some of the things they say make me stop and go: "Whoa. I didn't catch that. o.O" and some of those jokes are pretty adult! Anyhow, back to Perkemern...psh, I don't think I've watched since gold. o.O I've only seen the first and the Lucario movie, too. Should I be catching up?

SmashRacer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmashRacer
When I tried Lucario back in Brawl, I thought he was bad since he couldn't really kill and his attacks deal low damage. After I learned more about him, it completely changed my opinion. I could see how much of a combo monster he can be, favors from lingering and big hitboxes on a majority on his attacks and learned more about his Aura mechanic, to see how much of a threat he could be in battle and turn the tables. Look around guides and videos to see what he is capable of. Spent some time looking at about 2 guides. From that point on, I knew I have found my favorite character in Smash and also my favorite Pokémon

Now with most of his combos, lingering and big hitboxes gone in Smash 4, I still know he can be a monster in battle. They're some changes that I think were unnecessary other than removal of his super good hitboxes. Reduced damage, increased BKB on Fair and his new Jab. With that said, he still my favorite character

Anyway. I have found my offical secondary, Charizard

Last edited:

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Okay so.
Everyone here
I know i've half heartily mentioned this before but...
Please please please learn aurasphere charge into shield jump cancelled u-smash.

It's so ****ing godlike. It's a guarantied easy to set up KO option that I think should become essential to anyone who wants to champion the aura doge and advance him even further. As if our aurasphere charge wasn't important enough to our gameplay, getting a guarantied KO option out of it just boost it even further.

I did a lot of experimenting in real battles before wanting to bring this up, but it's just. So ****ing reliable and strong against characters who you can pin down with ASC. I know there are lucarios out there with better fundamentals out there then me that can make better use of this.

I highly recommend hopping into training mode and learning this ASAP if ya havn't. For the record, this true combos on everyone at around 80-90% but you should be able to sneak it in on those with even lower percent or those who just have awful "get off me" moves. Like always, charge set ups work wonders when you're opponents at the edge, seeing as how anyone who gets pinned down by the sphere just has to suck it up and take it.

Last edited:

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
I once did that in a For Glory 1 on 1. That was the best thing ever :)
I've gotten it down to the point of reliable consistency. I learned it out of frusteration after fighting too many characters with "HOO HAW" ish set-ups. Figured we can make use of our own EZ modo kill set ups. It's fairly easy to do in rapid succession, so you can keep getting that satisfying POW as much as ya want. It really is an amazing equalizer when hard reads just arn't enough~

Last edited:

Enemis

Smash Cadet
NNID
ToaEnemis
3DS FC
4596-9466-3207
Would you by any chance have the replay. Maybe I could view it for you and give you some tips.
For the spin top trick, you say that he pops out another one straight away. Why not shield the first one, then immediately dodge roll behind him. There is some lag is he is in the air maybe so you could go for the grab and do some combos from there.
Unfortunately it was just an unrecorded tourny match in losers bracket ^^" but thanks for the advice. I get the feeling I need to just go aggro on rob if I'm to stand a chance.

Okay so.
Everyone one here
I know i've half heartidly mentioned this before but...
Please please please learn aurasphere charge into shield jump cancelled u-smash.
^^^^ thiiiiissss!!! I've been experimenting with this myself lately, and even though I'm not good at pulling it off consistantly, I can already tell it's soo good. I neeeeeed to get this down and impliment it into my playstyle, because I always use aura sphere charge on people and never had a good follow up option that would hit consistantly.

Last edited:

Zee'mmoro

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zee'mmoro
3DS FC
4914-3176-0599
Aura Sphere Charge itself is godlike. It's always fun to start charging it when you have the peeps that always try to roll behind you so that they get caught in the sphere. Let the burn for a few moments, grab, u-throw, and go from there. I do need to try what Sunny is saying, though: it sounds amazing. OuO

Kami~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kamicario
Okay so.
Everyone here
I know i've half heartily mentioned this before but...

It's so ****ing godlike. It's a guarantied easy to set up KO option that I think should become essential to anyone who wants to champion the aura doge and advance him even further. As if our aurasphere charge wasn't important enough to our gameplay, getting a guarantied KO option out of it just boost it even further.

I did a lot of experimenting in real battles before wanting to bring this up, but it's just. So ****ing reliable and strong against characters who you can pin down with ASC. I know there are lucarios out there with better fundamentals out there then me that can make better use of this.

I highly recommend hopping into training mode and learning this ASAP if ya havn't. For the record, this true combos on everyone at around 80-90% but you should be able to sneak it in on those with even lower percent or those who just have awful "get off me" moves. Like always, charge set ups work wonders when you're opponents at the edge, seeing as how anyone who gets pinned down by the sphere just has to suck it up and take it.
Hate to be that person BUT. I don't believe it's 100% I think some characters with fast framed nairs will interrupt between the letting go of charge and the starting frames of upsmash. I also think if someone is high up in the charge they can mash out a jump and get out in time.

well it does say it's a combo though so I don't know what to think, it could be legit. But is training mode accurate?

Last edited:

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario
It's a great move to take stocks, but works only if your foe is within range.

If he's trying to escape, you can do a Down-Air as an alternative if you're not sure if the Up-Smash will connect.

EDIT:
Hate to be that person BUT. I don't believe it's 100% I think some characters with fast framed nairs will interrupt between the letting go of charge and the starting frames of upsmash. I also think if someone is high up in the charge they can mash out a jump and get out in time.
That too, some fighters have extremely fast Air attacks that can interrupt your charge (when they're high enough).
It's very dependent of the timing when you cancelled the ASC.

Last edited:

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
So, what exactly are the inputs? Do you trap the opponent in the charging Aura Sphere, cancel the charge with shield, jump to cancel the shield, then u-smash? Maybe a video of the combo would help?

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario
So, what exactly are the inputs? Do you trap the opponent in the charging Aura Sphere, cancel the charge with shield, jump to cancel the shield, then u-smash? Maybe a video of the combo would help?
You can learn lot of tricks with AS here too (credits to the respective owner), or you can check my guide here for some detailed information about it (Both are Smashboards links).

EDIT: Sorry, forgot the inputs.
  1. Charge your aura sphere.
  2. Shield
  3. Jump while shielding
  4. Quickly USmash before jumping.
Also, you can also move faster and safer by ASC -> Shield Jump Cancel.

Last edited:

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
You can learn lot of tricks with AS here too, or you can check my guide here for some detailed information about it (Both are Smashboards links).

EDIT: Sorry, forgot the inputs.
  1. Charge your aura sphere.
  2. Shield
  3. Jump while shielding
  4. Quickly USmash before jumping.
Also, you can also move faster and safer by ASC -> Shield Jump Cancel.
Thanks a bunch! This will really help my Lucario game. Now time to practice in training until my Circle Pad breaks...

Kami~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kamicario
I've gotten it down to the point of reliable consistency. I learned it out of frusteration after fighting too many characters with "HOO HAW" ish set-ups. Figured we can make use of our own EZ modo kill set ups. It's fairly easy to do in rapid succession, so you can keep getting that satisfying POW as much as ya want. It really is an amazing equalizer when hard reads just arn't enough~
doing some intense testing with this. I hate you sunny. I knew this was sort of in but was too lazy to full research it

Top Bottom