• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

lucario problems

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
yeah. as the title suggests, i'm having alot of problems playing against lucario with olimar. i know this is to be expected with the 60-40 advantage in lucario's favor, so i'm asking for any tips on the matter, since i know no one else in person that plays olimar. and i know that there's probably another thread on this topic, or that includes this subject...but i obviously couldnt find it. HOWEVER if someone could link me to a thread that could help me, i'd appreciate it.

i guess my main problem is spacing. i'm used to forcing my opponent to rush me with latch spam, and then keeping them at mid range distance mainly with f-smash and grabs. well... mostly grabs, as i tend to grab alot....but when lucario rushes me, it's obviously always with aerials and it's difficult for me to shield grab him. Also, he has clear priority over olimar's aerials. but it just seems like i cant do anything to him. i try to shield grab? i get force palmed. I try to u-smash out of a d-throw? he d-airs me. i cant even pivot grab him right like other characters. the only thing i've found to ever work is constantly latch, since he seems to have problems getting rid of the pikmin. but seeing as how i usually only get one win ever five or so games we play, it's apparently not working.

i'd just like some advice on the matter. I'd rather not have to pick up someone else merely to beat lucario....

Isorropia

Smash Apprentice
I dunno if lucario has that much that olimar can't respond to, I beat my friend's one all the time.

As deadly as his dair is, I believe olimar's uair will beat it out if you use it early enough. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it does.

When I play against my mates lucario I find myself using fair a lot. If you space it right it beats his fair and nair, from memory. If he always approaches with aerials try hyphen-smashing sometimes.

RichBrown

Smash Master
camp camp camp. lucario is hard to grab as well as grab combo, so don't worry about that too much. he is kinda slow, and your pikmin will cancel out his aura balls, so chuck pikmin. and if he uses counter to get them off, shield, then punish accordingly.

I've increasingly become a fan of FB-Fair-Fsmash, or any slight variation of that for spacing. Works well with purples, I've been consistently hitting my opponent with a purple and a fair simultaneously for a solid 20%.

Awex

Smash Lord
I have never lost a set to a Lucario player in tournament. I really like that matchup, despite it's difficulty.

Your grab range beats out his fsmash and your pikmin stop aura sphere. However his aerials, especially that silly dair beat out your upsmash.

You wanna fight him this way <--- --->

and he wants to come in this way v

Spacing is so key in this matchup. Typical lucario approach is fair to dair or something similar. Give yourself enough space to bait his approach but also run and pivot grab such an approach.

When Lucario is in KO range, wait for his dair, whistle it and up smash that jazz. ;D

asob4

Smash Champion
it's actually 60-40 our favor >_>

fsmash a lot and WAC any WoP's

nair by luc will remove most if not all pikmin on him, pivot grab ftw.
it isn't that hard :/

out of dthrow, ALWAYS fair, it's the only thing that will hit

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
...It's 6-4 your advantage, btw.

Yeah, just play normal defensive. Lucario doesn't have many options against a good Olimar.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
hmm... guess I read the matchup backwards or something lol. thanks guys though! he's pretty much the only character I still had problems with so this helped a lot

CALOZ

Smash Apprentice
Your not the only bro.

I also have problems with lucario

though great tips guys ^_^

IcyLight

Smash Lord
you can just jab/dtilt his aura spheres if he's spamming baby ones. jab one, pikmin throw, jab one, pikmin throw. It always works.

NYassass1n

Smash Rookie
lucario and oli are two of my 3 mains, and in my opinion oli ***** lucario.

fishyz0911

Smash Rookie
Also, Lucario near the edge= easy spike. Try spiking him out of his recovery its usually predictable enough.

Timbers

check me out
When the hell did Lucario get an advantage in this matchup?

So difficult for Luc to approach Olimar due to his size and fair having that landing lag on it.

Luc's nair gets all pikmin off. Olimar's grabs are dumb. Luc can't use his groundgame at all because of them (Luc relies on his lingering hitboxes and great range to work the ground, but when Olimar outranges and outspeeds him on the ground, it's frustrating.)

Olimar is small, so it's hard to combo, and his kill potential is enormous, making aura hard to reap. Approaching is also difficult due to his size and Luc's inability to autocancel his best approach; fair.

Pikmin kill auraspheres, etc.

It's advantage to Olimar, not disadvantage..

As for the matchup, fsmash and grabs just molest Lucario. Learn the matchup, as Luc's airgame is rather linear. Our approach devolves into a bunch of shad into utilts, dairs, or grabs or something like that, and I'm afraid that once an Olimar learns the matchup that even those approaches will be easily beaten by just spotdodging into dsmashes. Fair is hard to implement due to it's lack of range and Olimar's small size...yet enormous range. Pretty sure your purple and red pikmin totally outprioritize the fair too (red pikmin with fsmash)

It's adsfdsklfdsaf. Olimar can just win this entire match with grabs, sideB, and dsmash, seriously.

Lucariowned

Smash Rookie
Lucario's my main, oli's my secondary.

(some) Moves to watch out for:

Aura Sphere: he can spam uncharged ones and charge up full ones to finalize a kill. It's also a pikmin killer, so make sure that you whistle back your pikmin before he starts charging.

Dair: What lucario player doesn't love this? All I can really suggest it to roll out of the way or air dodge, cause you CANNOT outrange this unless you use UpB, but any smart lucario player will not use it unless they're directly above you.

Fsmash: One of lucario's killers. All I can say is shield or roll out of the way. That, or grab him (which IIRC you can do before he's in range for Fsmash, plus it's faster) and Dthrow him and combo into a Uair.

Dsmash: Lucario's other killer. This one (IIRC) will out range you, pretty much every time. Just plain dodge, all I can say.

Fair: shorter range than most of lucario's attacks, punish with a Fair of your own, 'cause it out ranges, or airdodge and counter with a Bair.

Uair: A REALLY good move for juggling. It's got good vertical range, but VERY little horizontal range, so simply move to either side.

---

Just a quick note, I'm not very good at all, so I could be wrong. Just give them a try.

Timbers

check me out
^Pretty much everything he said is wrong.

Sorry.

Pikmin won't die to a lot of auraspheres. Pretty sure almost any percent will be outprioritize by pikmin. Luc can't camp in this match, he has to approach.

Luc dsmash has like no range on it. Everything Olimar has that isn't a jab should outrange the dsmash.

Luc's fair outranges Olimar's fair iirc.

Luc's dair is outranged by usmash by like, a lot. Should outprioritize it though if the two are to cross hitboxes (I think pikmin hold different priorities though? You'll have to correct me on that)

Not trying to sound condescending, just don't want people getting the wrong idea.

Rocann

Smash Lord
^Pretty much everything he said is wrong.

Sorry.

Pikmin won't die to a lot of auraspheres. Pretty sure almost any percent will be outprioritize by pikmin. Luc can't camp in this match, he has to approach.

Luc dsmash has like no range on it. Everything Olimar has that isn't a jab should outrange the dsmash.

Luc's fair outranges Olimar's fair iirc.

Luc's dair is outranged by usmash by like, a lot. Should outprioritize it though if the two are to cross hitboxes (I think pikmin hold different priorities though? You'll have to correct me on that)

Not trying to sound condescending, just don't want people getting the wrong idea.
pikmin will die to aurasphere idk what you're saying. yes it will stop the sphere but he was talking about getting them back to keep them alive (dumb)

dsmash has plenty of range on it and an in-flight fsmash can be stopped by a dsmash

idk about the fair but I definitely wanna say oli's beats it out in range but lucario's will hit Oli due to unique properties of lingering hitbox + oli's aerials clanking.

dair destroyes usmash. uair beats dair but lucario shouldn't get that high. usmash's priority isn't very high.

jbeeber95

Smash Apprentice
it seems like the lucario at the tournament i go to is really.... strong. I always lose to him, no matter who I use or what I do. Thanks for the tips, they will be usefull :D!

Timbers

check me out
pikmin will die to aurasphere idk what you're saying. yes it will stop the sphere but he was talking about getting them back to keep them alive (dumb)

dsmash has plenty of range on it and an in-flight fsmash can be stopped by a dsmash

idk about the fair but I definitely wanna say oli's beats it out in range but lucario's will hit Oli due to unique properties of lingering hitbox + oli's aerials clanking.

dair destroyes usmash. uair beats dair but lucario shouldn't get that high. usmash's priority isn't very high.
Pikmin won't die to a lot a auraspheres.

Meaning that pikmin won't die to a lot of auraspheres. Not all. Trying to camp Olimar is pointless because you need like near full auraspheres to kill just one pikmin, and in that time he can chuck like 4 pikmin.

Lucario's dsmash has terrible range. I think you thought I was talking about Olimar's, and I wasn't. Olimar's dsmash outranges like everything Luc has but fsmash. Luc's dsmash gets outranged by everything Olimar has but jabs and maybe ftilt lol. Dsmash is also rarely implemented into a Lucario's game, due to lack of range, poor startup, and poor ending lag.

Dair destroys usmash, usmash has superior range.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
it seems like the lucario at the tournament i go to is really.... strong. I always lose to him, no matter who I use or what I do. Thanks for the tips, they will be usefull :D!
lol i'm actually pretty sure we're talking about the same lucario. you go to S2D dont you

xD

Samuelson

Smash Lord
I'll believe that Olimar has the advantage when i see it but right now i'm not convinced at all. Sure in theory Olimar beats Lucario but in my experience i havn't found the matchup that hard. Awex is the only Olimar that ive played that has given me any amount of trouble haha

Top Bottom