• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I just got Ridley's (and Wolf's) amiibos and I'm very satisfied with how they made it, he looks so good!

he also dumped on rool and said he was painfully average....so according to his opinions(and other pro's in his words)those two characters aren't anything special and were just put in the game to be the joke characters
His K. Rool comment pretty much shows why I don't take first impressions too seriously. It wasn't long ago that he said K. Rool was looking to be the best heavyweight and put him high on his tier list, so his opinion of him dropping like a rock just shows how reactionary things are at the moment.

Right now I'm just glad they're both fun to play, so I'm not going to worry too much about competitive viability at the moment and just enjoy the ride.

StormC

Smash Hero
Top ten anime betrayals.

Also, love can bloom even among space pirates.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
I just got Ridley's (and Wolf's) amiibos and I'm very satisfied with how they made it, he looks so good!

His K. Rool comment pretty much shows why I don't take first impressions too seriously. It wasn't long ago that he said K. Rool was looking to be the best heavyweight and put him high on his tier list, so his opinion of him dropping like a rock just shows how reactionary things are at the moment.

Right now I'm just glad they're both fun to play, so I'm not going to worry too much about competitive viability at the moment and just enjoy the ride.
Yeah there's no way K.Rool is just an average heavy that's my opinion though and I'm no pro so whatever

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Top players like Zero are making tier lists because their fans like to see their opinions, they're really just first impressions and I'm sure not even the ones who make them take them that seriously. They're top players who have been there and done that before after all, they know better than anyone how little it takes for the whole meta to be shaken up, there's a reason Smash 4 didn't have an official tier list until 2016.

At the moment it's best just to enjoy the game's early days, it might take up to a solid year before we can even make ballpark estimations given just how big the roster is, and maybe even more given how DLC is still ongoing by then. If things are still looking bad by then that's when we begin worrying, but for now just try and have fun.

Also, I'm not entirely sure why, but I thought this picture I took was pretty funny:

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Top players like Zero are making tier lists because their fans like to see their opinions, they're really just first impressions and I'm sure not even the ones who make them take them that seriously. They're top players who have been there and done that before after all, they know better than anyone how little it takes for the whole meta to be shaken up, there's a reason Smash 4 didn't have an official tier list until 2016.

At the moment it's best just to enjoy the game's early days, it might take up to a solid year before we can even make ballpark estimations given just how big the roster is, and maybe even more given how DLC is still ongoing by then. If things are still looking bad by then that's when we begin worrying, but for now just try and have fun.

Also, I'm not entirely sure why, but I thought this picture I took was pretty funny:

"Do you want to build a snowman?"

"SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I still haven't unlocked any Metroid Character
Help
I unlocked them like this:

ZSS: VS Matches played.

Ridley: Marth from WoL -> Marth Classic x2 for Lucina -> Lucina Classic for Ridley.

Dark Samus: Samus Classic x2.

Last edited:

CamZilla94

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5086-2929-3596
Switch FC
SW 2709 2387 5005
Ridley doesn't seem too bad, I was doing pretty good against a Young Link main for a few hours yesterday.

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
Ridley plays great so far! Awesome to see him him in and he's quicker than I expected. Any bread-and-butter tips for those of us who want to play well with him?

ADYBE

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-8398-5678-1580
From now, in all the videos I saw on youtube, Ridley just got bodied by the opponents. Poor Ridley, someone need to help him.:ultridley:

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
Still no Ridley and Dark Samus for me, but atleast Zero Suit Samus...and boi is her texturing ugly as hell. Is there a reason the Wii U Version somewhat looks better?

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Hm...

It's going to take alot of practice with Ridley's Space Pirate Rush attack.

It's pretty annoying to Ridleycide by accident with it on walk-off stages =/

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
"Do you want to build a snowman?"

"SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"
RAGE ON.png

"LET THE MOTHER ****ING HELL STORM RAGE OOOOOOON!"
XD This brings me back memories of a doodle I did years ago of Ridley and Roidley dressed like Elsa and Anna... Ridley_Prime Ridley_Prime xD Took me a long while to remake this one, right?

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Ridley plays great so far! Awesome to see him him in and he's quicker than I expected. Any bread-and-butter tips for those of us who want to play well with him?
N-Air is probably his best move and works well for many different purposes thanks to its great range, it's a defensive move, it's a combo move at low %, and it edgeguards well. The tip of his tail also eats weaker projectiles, so it also gives him a bit of camping resistance.

D-Tilt has great range and follows up into F-Air at low % on every character I've played against so far. Falling N-Air -> D-Tilt -> F-Tilt is pretty much his bread and butter combo.

U-Air is also a great move, at worst it eats an airdodge, which more often than not still leaves Ridley with the advantage. Because of this U-Throw is actually pretty great, even if it doesn't combo, because being above Ridley is an uncomfortable position.

U-Smash is a good and quick KO option, but do keep in mind that it doesn't have a hitbox in front of Ridley, but rather it has one behind him.

Side-B can be mashed out of, but it depends on the difference between you and your opponent's %. If you have taken the most damage, then it's pretty easy to mash out of, so you either have to release it early by pressing jump, or prepare for when they do get out of it, but if your opponent has taken more damage than you then it's very difficult to get out of. You can also release opponents when you grab them in the air, which is pretty useful against characters with bad recoveries, as you can just take them as far down as you're comfortable with and leave them for dead, or maybe even drag them under the stage. Do keep in mind that if you try to drag your opponent out Ridley always dies first no matter whether you drag them down or off the side of a stage, so releasing at just the right time is crucial.

The Fireballs are best used for edgeguarding from my experience, a lot of characters can punish you very easily if you just use them like a regular projectile, especially as if Ridley is hit while charging them he'll take a lot of damage (~25% iirc), and even the weakest hits will trigger it. Fully charged it deals over 30% though, so if you can hit with it while your opponent is recovering it's really strong.

Those are just some of my early thoughts though, maybe they'll look like crazy ramblings soon enough as people find more and more things with the character, or maybe some people already disagree with me, but it's early days so that's the best I've got. Atm there's no widely agreed upon best way to play him, and he's a deceivingly complex character as well, so it'll take some time before we find the optimal playstyle for him.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
So....have I mentioned how much I love that there;s a fight with Mega Mushroom Ridley in Samus' classicmode that I just fraking love for the theming and the fact that it obligatorily plays Ridley's new theme in Ultimte every time?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I haven't unlocked Ridley yet, though I did get his amiibo when I picked the game up.

I'm trying to go in blind as far as character unlocks are concerned (though I'm aware that Link is part of the chain that unlocks Snake, and I knew about the quickest way to unlock Sonic and Bayonetta), so I'm looking forward to seeing his "Challenger Approaching" image show up on my screen!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I unlocked them like this:

ZSS: VS Matches played.

Ridley: Marth from WoL -> Marth Classic x2 for Lucina -> Lucina Classic for Ridley.

Dark Samus: Samus Classic x2.
Happy to say that after doing the multiple Marth classic run and such, I unlocked most of the roster as Ridley afterward, including Dark Samus.

His tilts and throws can be good as combo openers, with a good mix of them you can do together or follow into aerials. Might post some later when I start practicing more, although MasterofKnees already posted most of what I saw of them it seems.

Oh, and don’t go side B happy on the walkoff stages as mentioned. :p Getting proper Ridleycide kills is a little tricky but can be done as explained. The thing with being able to break out of it depending on the % between you and the opponent applies to Ganoncide now too btw. I guess Ridley would’ve been spoiled if he got in before they decided to nerf the villaincide’s some.

View attachment 182262
"LET THE MOTHER ****ING HELL STORM RAGE OOOOOOON!"
XD This brings me back memories of a doodle I did years ago of Ridley and Roidley dressed like Elsa and Anna... Ridley_Prime Ridley_Prime xD Took me a long while to remake this one, right?
Sure, it took awhile, but it’s never too late to seeing this kind of nostalgia. <3

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
N-Air is probably his best move and works well for many different purposes thanks to its great range, it's a defensive move, it's a combo move at low %, and it edgeguards well. The tip of his tail also eats weaker projectiles, so it also gives him a bit of camping resistance.

D-Tilt has great range and follows up into F-Air at low % on every character I've played against so far. Falling N-Air -> D-Tilt -> F-Tilt is pretty much his bread and butter combo.

U-Air is also a great move, at worst it eats an airdodge, which more often than not still leaves Ridley with the advantage. Because of this U-Throw is actually pretty great, even if it doesn't combo, because being above Ridley is an uncomfortable position.

U-Smash is a good and quick KO option, but do keep in mind that it doesn't have a hitbox in front of Ridley, but rather it has one behind him.

Side-B can be mashed out of, but it depends on the difference between you and your opponent's %. If you have taken the most damage, then it's pretty easy to mash out of, and you need to prepare for when they do, but if your opponent has taken more damage than you then it's very difficult to get out of. When you grab someone in the air you can also release it by pressing jump, which is pretty useful against characters with bad recoveries, as you can just take them as far down as you're comfortable with and leave them for dead, or maybe even drag them under the stage. Do keep in mind that if you try to drag your opponent out Ridley always dies first no matter whether you drag them down or off the side of a stage, so releasing at just the right time is crucial.

The Fireballs are best used for edgeguarding from my experience, a lot of characters can punish you very easily if you just use them like a regular projectile, especially as if Ridley is hit while charging them he'll take a lot of damage (~25% iirc), and even the weakest hits will trigger it. Fully charged it deals over 30% though, so if you can hit with it while your opponent is recovering it's really strong.

Those are just some of my early thoughts though, maybe they'll look like crazy ramblings soon enough as people find more and more things with the character, or maybe some people already disagree with me, but it's early days so that's the best I've got. Atm there's no widely agreed upon best way to play him, and he's a deceivingly complex character as well, so it'll take some time before we find the optimal playstyle for him.
This post is actually pretty helpful. I’m gonna have to try these tips out the next time I play. ^_^

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Anybody know if reverse up b is possible, and if so any tips on how to do it? I think if I can figure out how to do it Ridley's recovery becomes that much better since you could recover with the backwards up-diagonal angle, but I haven't managed to pull it off yet.

CamZilla94

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5086-2929-3596
Switch FC
SW 2709 2387 5005
SW-2709-2387-5005 friend code for anyone interested!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Anybody know if reverse up b is possible, and if so any tips on how to do it? I think if I can figure out how to do it Ridley's recovery becomes that much better since you could recover with the backwards up-diagonal angle, but I haven't managed to pull it off yet.
Haven't practiced it that much yet, but yeah, can be done.

https://twitter.com/Ponitoss2/status/1069314625336819712?s=09

SW-2709-2387-5005 friend code for anyone interested!
Update it in your profile too so it'll show there/under your avatar like how you have your 3DS friend code and such.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
So I was doing some research on Persona 5 and looking through some fanart when I found this theoretical conversation between Ridley and Joker.

"I could have killed her so easily in that first encounter... smothered that baby in her crib, the worthless whelp. But no... she had to have escaped. Tell me, Joker, do you know what it feels like to die? To be killed again and again, to feel your life slowly drain until it's gone... and then you wake up, an old brain in a new body, unsure if you're still truly yourself. If you're still the great pirate captain you once were, the Cunning God of Death... or if, in truth, you were the whelp all along."

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
The hitbox on nair is ridiculous and it's combo potential is so good. I love it

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Y'know, I don't know why people forget to use fireballs for edgegaurding. It works beautifully on characters with predictable recoveries. I racked up 40% damage on a Chrom before he plummeted to his doom.

Shog

Smash Ace
Finally RIDLEY

Basically for me, he feels like a much more potent Charizard, which is awesome.
N-Air is godly. I love his Neutral B as well.

Also I managed to Suicide Side-B trying to unlock Daisy. Apparently, you get KO'd first if you do Side-B on a walk-off stage. If someone could tel me how to get out of Side-B manually, I would appreciate it.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Finally RIDLEY

Basically for me, he feels like a much more potent Charizard, which is awesome.
N-Air is godly. I love his Neutral B as well.

Also I managed to Suicide Side-B trying to unlock Daisy. Apparently, you get KO'd first if you do Side-B on a walk-off stage. If someone could tel me how to get out of Side-B manually, I would appreciate it.
Press the jump button.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So I was doing some research on Persona 5 and looking through some fanart when I found this theoretical conversation between Ridley and Joker.

"I could have killed her so easily in that first encounter... smothered that baby in her crib, the worthless whelp. But no... she had to have escaped. Tell me, Joker, do you know what it feels like to die? To be killed again and again, to feel your life slowly drain until it's gone... and then you wake up, an old brain in a new body, unsure if you're still truly yourself. If you're still the great pirate captain you once were, the Cunning God of Death... or if, in truth, you were the whelp all along."
Something like this would great in a post-Fusion setting. Pirates are seemingly gone and the only ones to still have any trace of Ridley are the Federation. To be put under their service as bargaining for his resurrection would likely disgust him to no end, even if they technically have a shared interest in hunting down Samus. And even if he defied them successfully and escapes, what is there left for him except killing Samus? Without Pirates to command he can't rampage like he used to; he's strong, maybe even as strong as Samus, but even he can't take on the entire Federation on his own.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Something like this would great in a post-Fusion setting. Pirates are seemingly gone and the only ones to still have any trace of Ridley are the Federation. To be put under their service as bargaining for his resurrection would likely disgust him to no end, even if they technically have a shared interest in hunting down Samus. And even if he defied them successfully and escapes, what is there left for him except killing Samus? Without Pirates to command he can't rampage like he used to; he's strong, maybe even as strong as Samus, but even he can't take on the entire Federation on his own.
I love imagining character development like this, but I hate that we're probably thinking about this harder than Nintendo is, and such exploration and nuance will likely never happen.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Some ridle y combos I found by testing on a level 9 attack fire emblem Roy at zero percentage

- Down throw into dash attack is decent

-u tilt into down throw into dash attack

- F forward or down throw into a slightly delayed side command grab(because if you don't wait a bit,ridle y side b will whiffed over opponent).also,down throw looks like a tech chase set up

- Down tilt props opponents in the air but they can act before you can follow up with anything

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I love imagining character development like this, but I hate that we're probably thinking about this harder than Nintendo is, and such exploration and nuance will likely never happen.
Well, we wouldn't have room for all this imagination in the first place if they explained everything, no?

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
It's kind of like how Incineroar's the heel wrestler pokemon yet in the anime he's portrayed as a face(heroic) wrestler used by one of ash's teachers that doesn't really come off as how the pokemon is usually described

nobody really thinks about this stuff too much...

Top Bottom