• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
So I got to play Ultimate for a bit. (not too long because of finals)

Unlocked a decent amount of fighters, not Ridley unfortunately. (Just nobodies like Cloud and Keith Rool, but I digress) And I've been doing so via Classic Mode. And both times I fought Ridley in Classic mode he was giant.

I'm imagining the salt/elation that would ensue had Riddles been hidden as playable up until the very end.

"Samus Classic mode looks fun... Oh hey, you fight Ridley in this mode, and he looks good. Nice square shape, too bad about his size, he almost looks playable..."

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman
So are we back to talking about Ridley? I like playing as powerful characters with strong attacks in terms of damage, so Ridley and K.Rool seem right up my alley. They also look like they have fun specials, my favorite type of move to use. I'm excited to play them the most out of any newcomer, and are tied with Ganondorf for the characters I'm most excited to play when I get the game this Christmas. (To bad I suck at the game lol)

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
Speaking as someone who hasn't played the game yet, I've heard from a couple of people that Ridley feels jerky and unwieldy. I realize that suits his character pretty well and I think his design and moveset are close to perfect, but what are peoples' thoughts on how he actually feels to control? I'd be kind of put out if he ends up being awkward to handle.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
At last I finally unlocked Ridley! I finally get to play as him after all these years. A triumphant moment to be remembered.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Speaking as someone who hasn't played the game yet, I've heard from a couple of people that Ridley feels jerky and unwieldy. I realize that suits his character pretty well and I think his design and moveset are close to perfect, but what are peoples' thoughts on how he actually feels to control? I'd be kind of put out if he ends up being awkward to handle.
He feels like he gets juggled HARD but once you manage to get in, you go in HARD too, Ridley has some outright oppressive buttons which help with spacing

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
He feels like he gets juggled HARD but once you manage to get in, you go in HARD too, Ridley has some outright oppressive buttons which help with spacing
Yeah, but I don't mean playstyle, I more mean the feeling of controlling him. The guy I talked to said playing as Ridley feels jerky and un-fluid and compared it to playing Brawl or Melee. Would anybody say that's accurate?

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
At last I finally unlocked Ridley! I finally get to play as him after all these years. A triumphant moment to be remembered.
C: Many friends including you have finally gotten the chance to play as him! It really makes me happy! XD I am not there yet, maybe this upcoming year. I am still saving for the Switch and the game, slowly but surely! Today (December 11th on my end) is my birthday, and I decided to change every other social media I had to be Ridley themed (except DA, it is not worth it), as getting to enjoy him is my current goal in my gaming life. C:

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
C: Many friends including you have finally gotten the chance to play as him! It really makes me happy! XD I am not there yet, maybe this upcoming year. I am still saving for the Switch and the game, slowly but surely! Today (December 11th on my end) is my birthday, and I decided to change every other social media I had to be Ridley themed (except DA, it is not worth it), as getting to enjoy him is my current goal in my gaming life. C:
Happy birthday!

(just pretend that says happy birthday)

AndreaAC

Happy birthday!

(just pretend that says happy birthday)
X3 Thank you, really! XD I was actually thinking of drawing for my 24th something similar to when I turned 18…with all my favorite characters surrounding a cake, but only my Smash team this time...but I ultimately did not do it, as I felt rather tired.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
In terms of movement he feels pretty good for a big guy, and you can really cover a ton of space with his attacks, on Battlefield he's a lot of fun as he can take advantage of the platform setups really well. His disadvantage state is pretty rough though, two characters which have given me a lot of trouble are Inkling and ZSS who both juggle him as well as having projectiles that can be difficult to avoid, although that might just be me having to adjust to playing a heavy for once.

He's a pretty extreme character in terms of advantage and disadvantage states, but it also feels like there's a lot of things we don't know about him yet, there's definitely a lot to build on with him.

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Happy Birthday Andrea!!

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
This. I'm no competitive player by any stretch, but if I can describe Ridley, he's very satisfying to hit opponents with, but then it gets very irritating when he gets hit, because for a few seconds you go from a juggernaut to a big juggling ball.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Feliz cumpleaños, AndreaAC AndreaAC ~

-

Not particularly as good as writing the wall-of-texts others have made on the previous pages as I used to be (my original farewell message on the Smash 4 Ridley thread before closing it is still the most amount of likes I've ever gotten on a single post). To no surprise, I've spent more time actually playing the video game in the past few days than speculating/writing about it. Truthfully that's good, because it's a nice feeling to have all that waiting finally pay off/not have much left to say.

I can't put it into words how much I love playing as Ridley, both from a gameplay standpoint and for sentimental reasons. Just as many, I had the same fears I'd end up not liking him as much/him not clicking with my playstyle, and would "force" myself to use him despite the obvious attachment I have with the series (did exactly that in previous Smash games, with Little Mac for example). I've always used a large range of characters, mainly preferring heavyweights/big bodies and zoners (aside from maining Samus in every game, my favorite characters have historically been DK/Bowser/Ganondorf/Mewtwo/Ike/Pokemon Trainer with Charizard being my favorite/King Dedede, and now even K. Rool), so naturally I was hopeful when I saw Ridley's initial reveal. While most were busy speculating who else could join the roster, I'd be content with just looking up gameplay/VODs, and analyzing every match with Ridley I could find (even the crappy offhand/blurry phone camera recordings). A lot opinions would shift, from the immediate "DOWN B IS BROKEN WHAT THE HECK" reactions in the aftermath of E3, to the recent countless "*insert top player* put Ridley as low tier" and "Ridley is the Twitter combo food character of choice" clips leading up to launch. I always tried reassuring people that regardless of whether he was bad or not, we would see down the line that people would still just be happy he finally made it in, and that I'd main him either way.

I'll probably make more posts once I have more time about all the intricacies and nuance things I love, but I've been grinding and labbing the character, and have had more than a few people tell me that my Ridley is fairly decent (my favorite description someone told me being "It's like he's an actual hidden boss in the game")

Look forward to seeing what else others can come up with, as well as sharing some other things like cool screenshots.

AndreaAC

I’m a little late but Happy Birthday!
:3 Thank you, Yoshisaurus!

x3 Gracias, Gracias, Isma!

xD Seriously, one year I would love there was some way to order a Ridley themed cake, probably to also celebrate that at some point I will get the game! A friend already suggested me that it had both Ridley and Rosalina with a teal and a purple gradient! Crazy stuff, another year has passed, and another one begins for me, hopefully for the best in both my gaming life and the real cruel life.

StormC

Smash Hero
Not particularly as good as writing the wall-of-texts others have made on the previous pages as I used to be (my original farewell message on the Smash 4 Ridley thread before closing it is still the most amount of likes I've ever gotten on a single post). To no surprise, I've spent more time actually playing the video game in the past few days than speculating/writing about it. Truthfully that's good, because it's a nice feeling to have all that waiting finally pay off/not have much left to say..
Man, seeing that thread again really makes me realize how fortunate it is that Ridley's Smash speculation ended on a truly happy note. I had lurked the Ridley thread extensively before joining and it was a dark place towards the end. And it's only because of fans that voiced their passion for their character despite being told time and time again it would be impossible that he finally made it onto the roster.

Indeed, never say too big.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Would rather use my remaining time for the day to play Smash/WoL more than anything regardless, but yeah, I guess when in doubt don't give something like that the time of day.

edit: Just got Diggernaut spirit, yay. Can't wait to get who else I'm missing. C'mon Nightmare...

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I got 9.9 in Classic Mode with Ridley pretty easily. The only other two characters I've gotten 9.9 with were Young Link and Toon Link, and I think that's because the Ganon fight is pretty easy to do quickly without getting hit that much. Master+Crazy Hands are no joke in this game.

Ridley's still a new character, so the jury will be out on how good he actually is for quite a while. I think his kit overall is better than some characters, so he's definitely not going to be bottom barrel or something. I think that, depending on what ends up being discovered, he'll be a very dangerous character.

It's the characters who have been routinely poor that people need to be worried about, like Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, Zelda, and Samus. They've all gotten buffs in this game, but there's no telling if it'll be enough.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
For the moment I couldn't be happier with Ganondorf, who against AI is like One Punch Man with that Warlock Punch armor. lmao Samus and those others though, yeah, will have to see.

StormC

Smash Hero
Zelda seems genuinely viable for the first time since... ever. She definitely got substantial buffs.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Would rather use my remaining time for the day to play Smash/WoL more than anything regardless, but yeah, I guess when in doubt don't give something like that the time of day.

edit: Just got Diggernaut spirit, yay. Can't wait to get who else I'm missing. C'mon Nightmare...
I'm not sure if you can get Nightmare under normal circumstances. I have him, but
you need to level up an X Parasite spirit to 99 and enhance it in order to get Nightmare; as far as I know, there isn't another way to do it.

Dhragen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dhragen
After playing Ridley the most that i could (on friends houses and locals because i don't have a switch), i think he is the PERFECT character for me. It feels like a combination of my previous mains: the speed and power of Charizard, the juggles and follow ups of Yoshi and a bit of Megaman's Projectile pressure.

I really like how he feels and, after checking alot ridley gameplay videos and feedback on twitter before tha game release, i got a general idea of how his moves work, his "weaknesses", and that really helped me when i first tried him on the game, and the more i play with him with my friends (which are good players on the local scene in my city), i really disagreed that he's the "bottom tier character" that everyone claim he is, and after winning my first smash ultimate local tournament on my city last week by going almost-full solo Ridley, it made me more confident to say it.

Like Sakurai mentions on one of his old columns, Ridley is a character that requires learning and spacing, know where and when to use your moves. If you play the Cunning God of Death, you need to be cunning, read your opponent, how he moves and approaches. You are a big target, that's the bait you need for the opponent approach you, use that as your advantage and use you tilts and aerials for give your space, and if the oppoent shields, try another move or retreat, and wait for the right moment to strike, and once you do, keep the pressure, follow with your aerials, juggle your opponent the most you could, and when the opponent escape from your grasp, you already got a HUGE percent lead on your favor, and if you manage to send the opponent off stage, the fun begins, with many options for gimping, or even racking even more damage.

What other great thing about Ridley's special moves: They are great at conditioning: the Plasma Breath deals a lot of damage, but also forces opponents to shield, or recover higher off stage, use that for punish them with the tools at your disposal. Space Pirate Rush is amazing, it gives you the option to launch it early for avoid them to mash out, or expect them to do so for punish for a jab for exaple, and it's a good recovery move. Unlike ganondorf, it doesn't leave you on freefall, so use it with your two jump and Directional Air Dodge/Wing Blitz for mix your recovery.

Wing Blitz, more that a Recovery Move, it feels like a Killing move, with 4 directions to work with. Feels like a great option for punish recoveries on the ledge, but again, don't abuse it. And Skewer is also risky, but if you manage to make the opponent to respect your range and power with your tilts while keeping your distance, you will find the opportunities to connect it.

Overall, don't play with Ridley like how you would play a mindless monster. He's evil and intelligient, and requires the player to act like that as well.

Wizpiggleton

Smash Rookie
Anyone notice that his smash attacks have deceiving hurtboxes? I've dodged a point blank mario up smash when in my forward smash animation, but also his down smash jump punishes getup attacks hard.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Maybe my win ratio in 1vs1 have been so good because people are sleeping on Ridley. I even manage to space and catch people with Down B at least once a match.

When I look at K Rool or Donkey Kong the pros about their play styles in this game are immediately apparent. With Ridley not so much but I imagine if I'm figuring things out successfully there are others out there that will be dynamite with him.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am not sure whether this is known about, but I have very good news in terms of Metroid music. Lower Norfair (or rather a remix of it) has finally been included in Smash Bros.

The track is called Magmoor Caverns - Metroid: Samus Returns. This was among my most wanted tracks to appear in Smash Bros. and it finally happened.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, that was discovered when Mexico datamined the track list and stuff a couple weeks before release. Kinda makes me think how more hype inducing that would have been to learn just now when the game is freshly out. I hate leakers sometimes.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Yeah, that was discovered when Mexico datamined the track list and stuff a couple weeks before release. Kinda makes me think how more hype inducing that would have been to learn just now when the game is freshly out. I hate leakers sometimes.
You know, as much as I agree with this sentiment...

I’m so glad that the music was leaked ahead of time. My Music is such a disorganized cluster**** that I don’t know how I’d keep it all straight without my lists. I preplanned all of the songs on their stages, so now it’s just a matter of checking them off.

Serioulsy, I have more notes on the music in Smash and what stages it’s on than I’ve taken in a while.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I am not sure whether this is known about, but I have very good news in terms of Metroid music. Lower Norfair (or rather a remix of it) has finally been included in Smash Bros.

The track is called Magmoor Caverns - Metroid: Samus Returns. This was among my most wanted tracks to appear in Smash Bros. and it finally happened.
Actually it was confirmed in the direct that had the Belmonts, abeit under a different name, it was called Torrid Zone Area 1-5, Torrid means hot and red rooms only appeared in those areas

IronTed

Smash Ace
This is super late but happy belated birthday Andrea!

Some other people this page have said something similar, but I'm quite glad that Ridley's clicked with me. He's surprisingly fast (on the ground) for being so big, and his aerials are generally solid. Perhaps I was overly pessimistic, but his d-air in particular has proven stronger than I anticipated. Landing down-B wasn't impossible either, even if it remains very situational at best. Interestingly enough, I played Ultimate with a friend the other day, and he instantly loved Ridley as well, and he'll be maining him now. Anecdotal but still.

It's also funny that in some character's classic modes he's huge. It feels amazing after all these years of waiting.

For a half second I was annoyed they did Magmoor Caverns instead of Lower Norfair and then I realized the obvious reason why. But with Ridley playable it would have been criminal to exclude it.

Now if only Dark Samus' theme was in the game too...

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime

Huh, I'm only 31 tracks away from having all of them (876 is the total, I believe), and I still haven't found that one. Looking forward to having it complete so I can set all the stages exactly how I want them.

Still annoyed that the Brawl Metroid remixes have the obnoxious narration in them, though.

AndreaAC

This is super late but happy belated birthday Andrea!

Some other people this page have said something similar, but I'm quite glad that Ridley's clicked with me. He's surprisingly fast (on the ground) for being so big, and his aerials are generally solid. Perhaps I was overly pessimistic, but his d-air in particular has proven stronger than I anticipated. Landing down-B wasn't impossible either, even if it remains very situational at best. Interestingly enough, I played Ultimate with a friend the other day, and he instantly loved Ridley as well, and he'll be maining him now. Anecdotal but still.

It's also funny that in some character's classic modes he's huge. It feels amazing after all these years of waiting.

For a half second I was annoyed they did Magmoor Caverns instead of Lower Norfair and then I realized the obvious reason why. But with Ridley playable it would have been criminal to exclude it.

Now if only Dark Samus' theme was in the game too...
X3 And belated Thank you, IronTed!

That confuses me so much...why would they exclude Dark Samus' theme when she's freakin' there? I would have taken her Prime 3 theme over the Other M Ridley one, since I prefer the Nintendo Land version when it comes to a more orchestral-like rendition.

Last edited:
Top Bottom