• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
Was just looking for this. Smash Wiki says the sweetspot ignores shield but I've seen no source for that.
Another point to note is that the only other crumple move - Ryu's Focus Attack - is also unblockable, at least when fully charged.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
With three days to go, I just wanted to give some insight to my time with Ridley.

I'm so overwhelmingly happy both K. Rool and Ridley got into Ultimate. Obviously. Although I have supported Ridley since Brawl, he was never as big of a request for me as other characters (it wasn't until Ultimate that he was my second most wanted newcomer, behind K. Rool). This is partially because I didn't really play the Metroid series proper until 2012, with Super Metroid and Zero Mission. I sampled a few games here and there, but it was still somewhat alien to me. I didn't even know during the beginning of Brawl speculation who Ridley was; I vaguely knew there was a dragon enemy in the Metroid series, but I had no idea it was a recurring character with a name and connection to Samus's past. It wasn't until Ridley's theme was uploaded to the Dojo that people started talking about the character and I learned more about him, and his importance to Metroid. The character was an easy sell as a Metroid newbie; a cool evil dragon that could be unlike any Smash character before him in cruelty and viciousness. When Ridley wasn't in Brawl, I was a bit bummed, but I didn't get fully ride-or-die for the character until Smash 4 (by which point I was again much more acquainted with the Metroid games and their lore).

In a funny way, I've supported Ridley longer than K. Rool, if only slightly. The 2007 Dojo era was when I got interested in Ridley, but I wasn't really thinking too much about K. Rool at that time. I was happy just to have Diddy. I would have welcomed K. Rool into Brawl with open arms, but I wasn't expecting him or feeling like I "needed" him. My top 5 with Brawl were Diddy, Dedede, Mega Man, Ridley, and Samurai Goroh in that order. By the time Brawl came out and I begun thinking about the next Smash game, I saw K. Rool as a must-have addition, and thus my new top 3 became K. Rool, Mega Man, and Ridley.

After Mega Man's reveal in Smash 4, I put all the chips in on Ridley; I assumed K. Rool's chances were not great due to the focus on recent games, so I had hoped at least one reptile pirate villain could make it in. It wasn't until the 2014 April Direct that Ridley was teased as a boss and Kritters were spotted in Smash Run that the fire was lit inside me for K. Rool again, but I was still bummed about Ridley. I even bought into the shadow theories to an extent to convince myself he could still get in, even though deep down I knew he was deconfirmed. Once the ESRB leak laid it bare that neither was in the game, I was pretty devastated. Doubly so when Sakurai went on a very long explanation about why Ridley would be unrealizable as a Smash fighter.

By that point I pretty much packed up my bags on Ridley speculation and assumed he would never happen. I even started to think maybe Sakurai was right, and that any attempts to force him to be a fighter would be too big of a compromise for the character. I doubled down on K. Rool during the ballot and assumed no matter how many votes Ridley got, he would not be DLC. It turns out I was right... and I was also wrong about K. Rool being DLC. That was a real wake up call and ended Smash 4 speculation on an unpleasant note (although I was very happy Cloud was added, much to my surprise).

Two years after the end of DLC, when Ultimate was announced, I didn't give Ridley the time of day until the leaks started, and again, the fire inside me was lit. I was much more cautious, not willing to buy in completely, but deep down, I realized that I still wanted to see Ridley on the roster even after ten years and two deconfirmations. I am more of a DKC fan than a Metroid fan (I really enjoy the 2D games, primarily), but I still have a lot of respect for the series and always maintained that Ridley is a worthy addition to Smash, as worthy as anybody could get by the time Ultimate was released, as long as his size issues could be properly addressed. Upon seeing the trailer for a character who should have been in Brawl, all of those years of speculating and hoping rushed back to me, and I was so happy I jumped up and down.

There was a point where you might have been able to call me a fair weather fan of Ridley. Like I said, after Sakurai's statement on Smash 4, I more or less gave up on the character, put all my energy to K. Rool, and even became tired of the DLC-era discussion of Ridley, because he wasn't happening. Obviously. How could he? Sakurai said no! Twice! Just give up and move on like I did.

I'm so immeasurably happy that Ridley fans didn't give up and kept fighting, you guys are the real heroes who saw it through to the end and got Sakurai to reconsider. Thank you for carrying on even when it seemed hopeless. Seeing Ridley finally get in Ultimate was the most satisfying conclusion possible. I genuinely don't think I would have been as hyped for his inclusion in Brawl or even Smash 4, after Ridley had become such a legend of speculation. As someone who lurked SmashBoards for a while before joining, this is a shout out to people like MasterOfKnees MasterOfKnees who I have always respected even when hopes for Ridley were at their lowest, even when I started to get tired of Ridley discussion, I remembered the people who fought long and hard for this victory, and were more emotionally invested than I was (which was quite a lot, but again, Ridley has never been at the top of my personal list, even if he's always been in the top 5 since Brawl speculation), and it made it all the sweeter to see the end of a grueling quest.

Seeing Ridley get in made me realize how much I wanted K. Rool in this game. Seeing K. Rool get in too made me realize dreams can come true.

Pirates forever.

Last edited:

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
Long rant time...

Honestly, part of the reason I'm so ecstatic for Ultimate is because of how disappointed I was in Sm4sh. Now, before I rip it to shreds, I have to pay due respect: it has my favorite gameplay of all the games (barring Ultimate). It's fluid and smooth and feels very natural. The graphics are great. Many of its new stages are very fun to play- Wuhu Island in particular is my favorite. It had some good additions to the roster, plenty of which were unexpected but welcome, like Robin, and Bowser Jr. & the Koopalings.

BUT... it also had a lot of bizarre, confusing, and disappointing character choices, a "Classic Mode" that was nothing like actual classic Smash, and an underwhelming custom moves feature that was basically just "stronger/slower or weaker/faster, take your pick," except for Palutena, who had all different moves thanks to Sakurai's out-of-control favoritism at the time, which also resulted in Dark Frickin Pit being added over all the other characters people actually wanted. It also had that incomprehensible feature where there are like 6 stages unavailable in 8-player mode... one of which is the iconic, go-to Final Destination. It had the Mode That Shall Not Be Named... Smash Tour. The menus are a pain to navigate and are organized terribly (why is Settings buried at the bottom of Games & More? Settings is front-of-the-menu material). The 3DS is only available as a controller for regular Smash and nothing else, due to a logic that is beyond my comprehension. A lot of stages were just copied-and-pasted from Brawl, getting no graphical updates to bring them up to Wii U standards. Ridley fans got slapped in the face by his presence as a simple stage hazard. Chrom fans got slapped in the face by their man being present in almost every part of the game EXCEPT as a fighter. Dark Samus fans got slapped in the face by the dreaded Assist Trophy treatment. K. Rool fans got slapped in the face by a whole lotta nothing, and got frickin Corrin as DLC instead, who nobody asked for or wanted.
Honestly, from a game design perspective, Sm4sh is a nightmare.

So, when the "Smash 2018" trailer got tacked onto the end of Splatoon 2's trailer, I wasn't excited, and vaguely decided I probably wasn't even gonna buy the game. Then E3 hit, and Wolf and Snake came back, and I whooped for joy, and then Ridley came in at the end, and despite not being fully in the Ridley support boat, I was pumped for a new Metroid character being added for the first time in Smash history. I also of course knew how many people DID want him badly, so when he swooped by and skewered Mega Man I didn't scream for joy, but rather just got chills as I realized, "Oh man... this is happening..."
Then the August Direct blew even E3 out of the water for me. I hadn't been paying attention to Smash news, but on the 8th I had wandered into my little brother's room and he said he found an article stating that the Belmonts had just been added, and I stopped him right there and we sat down on his bed to watch the Direct together. Then, Chrom came dropping onto the stage in Castle Siege and we both screamed for joy. And THEN Dark Samus came floating out of a wormhole onto Spear Pillar, and my brain just short-circuited. I was confused about why they were showing off an Assist Trophy in a fighter trailer until "Dark Samus joins the battle!" splattered across the screen and I just shrieked, dropped my phone, and tackled my brother to the bed, laughing and screaming and crying. And I've never played any Donkey Kong games, but K. Rool's reveal was still glorious, knowing how many people had just seen their wildest Smash dreams come true.
The announcements and Directs then continued to pour on the good news. All stages in all three of their forms would be available for 8-player fights. Stamina battle is a standard mode. There's a Story Mode. All my favorite stages are back (except Orbital Gate Assault, RIP in peace Great Fox stage #4), and they've gotten absolutely beautiful new graphics to boot.

And they made this game in three years.

So TL;DR: Ultimate is a huge turnaround from the disasters of Sm4sh and I'm all the more hyped because of it. The roster looks like what I would've made as a dream roster back in the days of Sm4sh, and I still am blown away by the fact that it's all actually happening.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
The post by slamallama slamallama really illustrates that even if Smash 4 had K. Rool and Ridley, it would still have a lot of issues when it was all said and done. I'd be thrilled about the roster, but the way the game was compromised between two versions, the cut characters, the lack of single player content, it just made Smash 4 feel both bloated and unfocused. Not only did Ultimate fix the roster, it streamlined the content and brought back a proper single player. I put 200 hours into Smash 4 and had lots of fun, but with Ultimate I'll be glad to put the previous game behind me. This game would already be Ultimate and vastly superior to Smash 4 with all of the improvements and veterans, even without K. Rool and Ridley, but with them? It's not just Ultimate - it's truly Special.

My only complaint with Ultimate really is the lack of new stages. I'd have sacrificed 10 of the old stages just to get 5 more, but with 103 stages, many of them reimagined, it's not a dealbreaker. It'll at least give me incentive to buy the Fighter Pass for more stages.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
No expectations of it happening from me, but man that would be amazing, even if it's more or less an upscaled port. I'd be interested in seeing how they handle the controls, the Wii version only allows for motion controls, and a ton of things in Prime 3 are tailored around that, but of course it'd kinda defeat the purpose and alienate a lot of Switch users if you can't play it in portable mode. As someone who was never sold on motion controls I'd be over the moon for a Prime Trilogy which allows for regular controls, I've always been far more comfortable with the Gamecube versions.

Again, I'll just view it as a weak rumor for now, but the idea of a Switch version is an interesting discussion as there are quite a few things to consider.

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
Emily from ERA said Nintendo's been pushing for it since Prime 4 became a thing, and that she wouldn't be surprised at all if did indeed happen. But AFAIK no (credible) person has said it's happening 100%.

Rumors aside I always thought it was going to be a thing. IMO once the Wii U well runs dry (which will be soonish), they'll just start doing GC/Wii games as HD remasters.

StormC

Smash Hero
Emily from ERA said Nintendo's been pushing for it since Prime 4 became a thing, and that she wouldn't be surprised at all if did indeed happen. But AFAIK no (credible) person has said it's happening 100%.

Rumors aside I always thought it was going to be a thing. IMO once the Wii U well runs dry (which will be soonish), they'll just start doing GC/Wii games as HD remasters.
I hope they port 3D World to Switch before that dry well runs out. That's the one game that is still keeping me tied to my Wii U.

Last edited:

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
they'll just start doing GC/Wii games as HD remasters.
tbh all the Prime games really need, graphics-wise, is an upgrade from 480p to 1080p resolution, and maybe some more post-processing effects. The modeling and texturing in those games have aged very well, and they already run at 60 fps, at least in Trilogy.

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
I hope they port 3D World to Switch before that dry runs out. That's the one game that is still keeping me tied to my Wii U.
A theory I have is that Nintendo will rerelease 3D World instead of Odyssey 2, that way the team can make a new IP (basically what they did with MK8D and ARMS). But at the same time an Odyssey 2 makes a lot of sense. Either way 3D World definitely deserves it, phenomenal game undermined by its platform and handheld counterpart. Still nearly outsold Sunshine amusingly enough.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
tbh all the Prime games really need, graphics-wise, is an upgrade from 480p to 1080p resolution, and maybe some more post-processing effects. The modeling and texturing in those games have aged very well, and they already run at 60 fps, at least in Trilogy.
Yeah, I'd be surprised if it's anything more than that too, remastering three games would be a huge task, and by the looks of the listing it doesn't seem like that's what it supposedly is either. Still, a properly remastered Prime 1 is a dream of mine, I hope that one day we'll get that.

I hope they port 3D World to Switch before that dry well runs out. That's the one game that is still keeping me tied to my Wii U.
Probably my best experience on the Wii U was playing through 3D World with my brother, it's a great game by itself, but as 2 players it's an incredible amount of fun. Would be such an obvious pick for the Swich too with the whole Joycon gimmick.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The dream would be a remaster, with additional cut content ala Prime Trilogy adding the stuff from the PAL releases (Meta Ridley having a stomp attack, some music getting fixed, and never-before-released concept art, or even adding things like the bonus credit stuff like ship stickers/Fusion Suit)

While I don't see it happening even in my most hopeful dreams, it would be amazing to see stuff like the Dark Ridley concept from Prime 2 fully realized.

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
Couldn't agree more. Always drooling at the prospect of the fantastic modelling/design being appreciable in full HD.

Gah, and full realization of the spectacular concept art if by some miracle we get something ground-up in the future (or if 4 meets the same standards as Retro, I guess):

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
Guys, you should check this guys' twitter, he is pulling some nice Ridley footage, like combos, strings and other interesting stuff.

https://twitter.com/Ponitoss2
Ah! I was just asking about this in the Frame Data thread. While the odd manual angling of the attack is still questionable for recovery (up-diagonal going down-diagonal), I do suspect that there's a method to the madness when it comes to the ledge snapping. If this is the case, it's very exciting that Sakurai would intentionally design a move with so specific a function in mind. Don't see that too often.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Long rant time...

Honestly, part of the reason I'm so ecstatic for Ultimate is because of how disappointed I was in Sm4sh. Now, before I rip it to shreds, I have to pay due respect: it has my favorite gameplay of all the games (barring Ultimate). It's fluid and smooth and feels very natural. The graphics are great. Many of its new stages are very fun to play- Wuhu Island in particular is my favorite. It had some good additions to the roster, plenty of which were unexpected but welcome, like Robin, and Bowser Jr. & the Koopalings.

BUT... it also had a lot of bizarre, confusing, and disappointing character choices, a "Classic Mode" that was nothing like actual classic Smash, and an underwhelming custom moves feature that was basically just "stronger/slower or weaker/faster, take your pick," except for Palutena, who had all different moves thanks to Sakurai's out-of-control favoritism at the time, which also resulted in Dark Frickin Pit being added over all the other characters people actually wanted. It also had that incomprehensible feature where there are like 6 stages unavailable in 8-player mode... one of which is the iconic, go-to Final Destination. It had the Mode That Shall Not Be Named... Smash Tour. The menus are a pain to navigate and are organized terribly (why is Settings buried at the bottom of Games & More? Settings is front-of-the-menu material). The 3DS is only available as a controller for regular Smash and nothing else, due to a logic that is beyond my comprehension. A lot of stages were just copied-and-pasted from Brawl, getting no graphical updates to bring them up to Wii U standards. Ridley fans got slapped in the face by his presence as a simple stage hazard. Chrom fans got slapped in the face by their man being present in almost every part of the game EXCEPT as a fighter. Dark Samus fans got slapped in the face by the dreaded Assist Trophy treatment. K. Rool fans got slapped in the face by a whole lotta nothing, and got frickin Corrin as DLC instead, who nobody asked for or wanted.
Honestly, from a game design perspective, Sm4sh is a nightmare.

So, when the "Smash 2018" trailer got tacked onto the end of Splatoon 2's trailer, I wasn't excited, and vaguely decided I probably wasn't even gonna buy the game. Then E3 hit, and Wolf and Snake came back, and I whooped for joy, and then Ridley came in at the end, and despite not being fully in the Ridley support boat, I was pumped for a new Metroid character being added for the first time in Smash history. I also of course knew how many people DID want him badly, so when he swooped by and skewered Mega Man I didn't scream for joy, but rather just got chills as I realized, "Oh man... this is happening..."
Then the August Direct blew even E3 out of the water for me. I hadn't been paying attention to Smash news, but on the 8th I had wandered into my little brother's room and he said he found an article stating that the Belmonts had just been added, and I stopped him right there and we sat down on his bed to watch the Direct together. Then, Chrom came dropping onto the stage in Castle Siege and we both screamed for joy. And THEN Dark Samus came floating out of a wormhole onto Spear Pillar, and my brain just short-circuited. I was confused about why they were showing off an Assist Trophy in a fighter trailer until "Dark Samus joins the battle!" splattered across the screen and I just shrieked, dropped my phone, and tackled my brother to the bed, laughing and screaming and crying. And I've never played any Donkey Kong games, but K. Rool's reveal was still glorious, knowing how many people had just seen their wildest Smash dreams come true.
The announcements and Directs then continued to pour on the good news. All stages in all three of their forms would be available for 8-player fights. Stamina battle is a standard mode. There's a Story Mode. All my favorite stages are back (except Orbital Gate Assault, RIP in peace Great Fox stage #4), and they've gotten absolutely beautiful new graphics to boot.

And they made this game in three years.

So TL;DR: Ultimate is a huge turnaround from the disasters of Sm4sh and I'm all the more hyped because of it. The roster looks like what I would've made as a dream roster back in the days of Sm4sh, and I still am blown away by the fact that it's all actually happening.

1. Whether the character choices aren't good is subjective.
2. Sakurai stated that Dark Pit, Lucina, and Dr. Mario were originally just going to be palette swaps, but during development the team decided to give those characters slightly different characteristics from their base characters, and therefore were given their own spots on the character select screen. Dark Pit did not take up a slot that would have gone to another character. I thought we were done complaining about clone characters.
3. Dark Pit actually does have fans, particularly in Japan from what I've read. So again, whether the character choices are/aren't good is subjective.

Last edited:

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
1. Whether the character choices aren't good is subjective.
2. Sakurai stated that Dark Pit, Lucina, and Dr. Mario were originally just going to be palette swaps, but during development the team decided to give those characters slightly different characteristics from their base characters, and therefore were given their own spots on the character select screen. Dark Pit did not take up a slot that would have gone to another character. I thought we were done complaining about clone characters.
3. Dark Pit actually does have fans, particularly in Japan from what I've read. So again, whether the character choices are/aren't good is subjective.
I never said whether a character was good or not was objective, and I realize that every fighter has fans and haters, but the vast majority of Smash fans felt miffed when Dark Pit was made a fighter, especially considering all the other obvious bias towards Kid Icarus that was present in the game. And even if a character is easy to add it doesn't necessarily mean they should be. It felt off-putting that Kid Icarus had more reps than other, far more popular franchises, such as Donkey Kong.
My personal issue with Lucina in Sm4sh is that most people were expecting Chrom to get in, as he was the main character of Awakening. But he was cut due to apparently not being unique enough, and yet Lucina made it in as a near-exact copy of Marth.
And besides, part of my point was that the roster (which a lot of people were disappointed in) was only one of a lot of issues Sm4sh had.

(Actually my point was that Ultimate looks dope and far better-designed than Sm4sh, but ...yeah.)

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
For any Ridley fans reading this topic, I completed my comprehensive analysis of the Ultimate roster. It is a very, very long read though (if you read everything in it), so read it only when you have time. However, it is broken up into different sections that are a lot easier to read in one sitting (such as the DLC speculation).

https://smashboards.com/threads/eve...ates-roster-and-other-assorted-essays.464556/

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
The irony of Chrom was that in the end he was an echo anyway. In hindsight Chrom could have been in instead of Lucina and it probably would have gone better.

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
The irony of Chrom was that in the end he was an echo anyway. In hindsight Chrom could have been in instead of Lucina and it probably would have gone better.
I think it's cause Sakurai realized that at this point, people just want their favorite characters in the game, and worrying about whether they can get a unique moveset or not comes after just ensuring they're a fighter at all.

For any Ridley fans reading this topic, I completed my comprehensive analysis of the Ultimate roster. It is a very, very long read though (if you read everything in it), so read it only when you have time. However, it is broken up into different sections that are a lot easier to read in one sitting (such as the DLC speculation).
Very well put. You seem to have a pretty deep knowledge and appreciation of all the newcomer's histories. I didn't realize how far back support for a lot of these characters went, especially K. Rool- I thought he was just a DLC Ballot standout.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Another irony is that if Dark Pit only got in now in Ultimate as an echo fighter, people wouldn’t of minded or been up in arms about it nearly as much as when he was included in SSB4. Him getting in before Dark Samus still stung at the time though.

StormC

Smash Hero
Very well put. You seem to have a pretty deep knowledge and appreciation of all the newcomer's histories. I didn't realize how far back support for a lot of these characters went, especially K. Rool- I thought he was just a DLC Ballot standout.
K. Rool is an interesting case. There have been murmurs of him since Melee, but in my experience, he didn't become a common talking point until both Diddy Kong and King Dedede got in - the first true DKC fighter, and the second Kirby newcomer in Brawl respectively. A lot of people got their hopes up that K. Rool could be an unlockable fighter in Brawl. When he wasn't in the game, there was some disappointment, but I think other characters were bigger misses for fans at the time - Ridley, Geno, Mega Man, and Krystal, namely. But he was definitely the most popular and obvious choice for DKC fans for the next Smash.

Come Smash 4 and K. Rool had slowly but surely become one of the most popular requests, especially since he was one of the few truly "old school" Nintendo characters left (Dixie, Ridley, Toad, and Little Mac all being comparable). Partially because of the tight connection with the Ridley fanbase, the two were inseparable in most Smash fans' eyes. You could even argue that despite his absences from DKCR and TF, support for him remained steady, or even intensified during that period, since there was a hope that Smash could prevent him from being locked in irrelevance jail forever.

I think the deconfirmation of Ridley, however, is what really pushed K. Rool over the top on the ballot; for a lot of people, if Ridley was their first choice, K. Rool was probably their second. He rode hard on the wave of complaints with Smash 4 (no new DK content, lack of heavies and villains, Ridley seemingly being a never ever). The fact that both he and Ridley got into the next game is still nothing short of a minor miracle.

Last edited:

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
I never said whether a character was good or not was objective, and I realize that every fighter has fans and haters, but the vast majority of Smash fans felt miffed when Dark Pit was made a fighter, especially considering all the other obvious bias towards Kid Icarus that was present in the game. And even if a character is easy to add it doesn't necessarily mean they should be. It felt off-putting that Kid Icarus had more reps than other, far more popular franchises, such as Donkey Kong.
My personal issue with Lucina in Sm4sh is that most people were expecting Chrom to get in, as he was the main character of Awakening. But he was cut due to apparently not being unique enough, and yet Lucina made it in as a near-exact copy of Marth.
And besides, part of my point was that the roster (which a lot of people were disappointed in) was only one of a lot of issues Sm4sh had.

(Actually my point was that Ultimate looks dope and far better-designed than Sm4sh, but ...yeah.)

Well, again, Sakurai said Lucina was lucky to be in (i.e. barely got in). So Lucina was not responsible for Chrom's exclusion at all... unless like mentioned above he were an echo fighter in 4 too.
(not important) Also at the time Kid Icarus Uprising was more relevant to Nintendo than Donkey Kong. (Was Dixie even in DK Country Returns?) I know we all have character preferences and yes DK is overall the more popular series but blaming clones is clearly pointless.

I just looked up Sakurai's words on the subject and he mentioned he chose both Robin and Lucina over Chrom, not just Lucina.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Also at the time Kid Icarus Uprising was more relevant to Nintendo than Donkey Kong.
As someone who loved Uprising and was a Palutena supporter, I doubt she would be in if anyone other than Sakurai directed that game.

DKCR sold like 6x what KIU did. The focus on relevancy and ignoring legacy is precisely what people criticize about the Smash 4 roster. Can guarantee if K. Rool was in DKCR he would be in Smash 4, which is sort of the problem, that only the most recent titles were considered for the roster, except Duck Hunt.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
As someone who loved Uprising and was a Palutena supporter, I doubt she would be in if anyone other than Sakurai directed that game.

DKCR sold like 6x what KIU did. The focus on relevancy and ignoring legacy is precisely what people criticize about the Smash 4 roster. Can guarantee if K. Rool was in DKCR he would be in Smash 4, which is sort of the problem, that only the most recent titles were considered for the roster, except Duck Hunt.
I guess that's fair but I'm sure Mega Man and Wii Fit Trainer are legacy characters too. Didn't Country Returns come out a few years before Uprising?

Edit: Little Mac too

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I guess that's fair but I'm sure Mega Man and Wii Fit Trainer are legacy characters too. Didn't Country Returns come out a few years before Uprising?

Edit: Little Mac too
DKCR came out a year and a half before Uprising. Punch-Out Wii and Wii Fit Plus both came out in 2009, and Mega Man 10 had come out in 2010. Except for Greninja and Duck Hunt, every Smash 4 newcomer had a game released within roughly three years of the May 2012 design document. Meanwhile, Smash 4 had K. Rool, Ridley, both Belmonts, Dark Samus, and Chrom buck that trend (though the last one is cutting it close). I personally found that made for a much healthier roster.

Last edited:

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
DKCR came out a year and a half before Uprising. Punch-Out Wii and Wii Fit Plus both came out in 2009, and Mega Man 10 had come out in 2010. Except for Greninja and Duck Hunt, every Smash 4 newcomer had a game released within roughly three years of the May 2012 design document. Meanwhile, Smash 4 had K. Rool, Ridley, both Belmonts, Dark Samus, and Chrom buck that trend (though the last one is cutting it close). I personally found that made for a much healthier roster.
The Smash version of Mega Man is still primarily NES era/MM2 style with one MVC reference, but other than that sure. 3 years is a bit far back but I don't know a ton about how that works.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
The Smash version of Mega Man is still primarily NES era/MM2 style with one MVC reference, but other than that sure.
That style is also how he was depicted in Mega Man 10.

(also he has moves from Mega Man 7, 8, and 9 just sayin')

Last edited:

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
That style is also how he was depicted in Mega Man 10.

(also he has moves from Mega Man 7, 8, and 9 just sayin')
Yeah but if I'm not mistaken in the direct it was mentioned that they went primarily with 2.
http://www.rockman-corner.com/2013/06/sakurai-talks-mega-man-in-super-smash.html
https://www.polygon.com/2013/6/26/4...es-mega-man-smash-bros-s-other-new-characters
so aside from legacy/relevance he picks for uniqueness, and Mega Man did get into Smash for being a popular request since Brawl, and Sakurai's team approached Capcom about it, not the other way around.

Last edited:

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
I just looked up Sakurai's words on the subject and he mentioned he chose both Robin and Lucina over Chrom, not just Lucina.
Yeah, but my point was that a lot of people felt that it should have been Robin and Chrom, not Robin and Lucina, especially given the apparent logic behind Lucina's addition.
But hey, let's stop picking apart the last game's roster and hop back on the Everyone is Here hype train (my whole point in bringing up Sm4sh was to drive home how awesome Ultimate is, anyway). This is my first time being on Smashboards for the release of a Smash game, so I'm kinda wondering: what tends to happen to these social threads once the game is actually out? Feels like there'll be a lot less to discuss when we all have hands-on experience with Ridley rather than just speculation and competitive videos.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Yeah, but my point was that a lot of people felt that it should have been Robin and Chrom, not Robin and Lucina, especially given the apparent logic behind Lucina's addition.
But hey, let's stop picking apart the last game's roster and hop back on the Everyone is Here hype train (my whole point in bringing up Sm4sh was to drive home how awesome Ultimate is, anyway). This is my first time being on Smashboards for the release of a Smash game, so I'm kinda wondering: what tends to happen to these social threads once the game is actually out? Feels like there'll be a lot less to discuss when we all have hands-on experience with Ridley rather than just speculation and competitive videos.
Actually, this thread will begin the grassroots campaign for the next Metroid character.

That's right. They said Ridley was too big, and they were wrong. Now, it's time for the next step...

KRAID
SIZES UP THE COMPETITION!

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Actually, this thread will begin the grassroots campaign for the next Metroid character.

That's right. They said Ridley was too big, and they were wrong. Now, it's time for the next step...

KRAID
SIZES UP THE COMPETITION!
Some real talk, I'm low-key hoping someone mods Kraid's Brinstar Depths model over King K. Rool.
Second mod I'm hoping for is replacing Ridley's screeches with pirate noises.

Top Bottom