• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Some real talk, I'm low-key hoping someone mods Kraid's Brinstar Depths model over King K. Rool.
Second mod I'm hoping for is replacing Ridley's screeches with pirate noises.
I'm just waiting for the inevitable Ridley- or K.Rool- over Bayonetta moveset swaps.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I
Very well put. You seem to have a pretty deep knowledge and appreciation of all the newcomer's histories. I didn't realize how far back support for a lot of these characters went, especially K. Rool- I thought he was just a DLC Ballot standout.
Thank you for your praise. I am deeply appreciative of it.

Ridley's support for Smash Bros. has been around even longer (2001).

Some real talk, I'm low-key hoping someone mods Kraid's Brinstar Depths model over King K. Rool.
Second mod I'm hoping for is replacing Ridley's screeches with pirate noises.
My main hope for modding is someone puts in Dark Samus's epic laugh as one of her taunts. That easily could have been one of the best taunts in the game. That and the absence of Dark Samus's theme (from either Prime 2 or Prime 3) as a track rip, makes me think that she (along with Chrom) were the last two characters added into Ultimate.

StormC

Smash Hero
Spoiler for Samus Classic:

You get to fight Giant K. Rool on Brinstar. Memes are real.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

Okay, now I NEED my King Kraid Rool mod, jankiness be damned.

On nonspoiler stuff, Space Pirate Rush is one of my favorite new moves in the game.

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
One more day until we finally, after so many years, get the chance to play as K. Rool and Ridley in Super Smash Bros. I'm still ecstatic that, even nearly six months later, that Ridley got in is nothing short of a miracle.

My history with Ridley goes back to the original Smash Bros. after seeing him in the background of the Zebes stage. I didn't think much of it considering that I didn't play much of the Metroid games in my childhood. My interest in Ridley began with the Melee cinematic opening, which to this day, still gives me goosebumps. Of course back then, I knew nothing about Smash Bros. speculation in those days and the internet was less prominent than it is today. Then the Brawl dojo days arrived during my high school days. I always remember waking up each weekday morning to check the Dojo to see what the new update was. It was exciting to see certain characters get confirmed in those days especially Diddy. Seeing Ridley as a boss twice in Subspace cemented my want for Ridley in Smash. He felt too important to be just a boss though the cutscenes that involved him were pretty awesome not gonna lie.

It wasn't until about 2010 is when I officially got into the Metroid franchise by getting Metroid Prime. By god what an amazing game that was. The environments, the soundtrack, the lore, every part of that game was awe-inspiring. That game still looks good to this day. Eventually, I did get Super Metroid and Prime 2 (both of which I should finish). That further cemented my desire to get Ridley into Smash.

Then Smash 4 was announced. I thought at that time Ridley had a great chance to be a playable character. I will always remember that shadow analysis from that April Direct from 2014. It was the center of debate between supporters and detractors that lasted a good portion of that year; but of course it did end badly for us back then. That summer is when I made that decision to join Smashboards and express my support for the Space Pirate Commander. I have meet a lot great people on here during those times. We went through the good times and the bad times we stuck together.

The day when Ridley was revealed as a stage boss on Pyrosphere was tough for all of us and soon Sakurai's words of him saying that sizing Ridley down would make him Ridley anymore. That gave the detractors more fuel to discourage our cause. It was demoralizing for sure, but deep down, I still wanted Ridley know matter what despite the odds. After the Corrin reveal, I left Smashboards for about two years not knowing when the next game would be announced.

March 2018. After a class I had that night, my friend showed me a new Smash Switch announcement and I said to myself "Here we go again...". I didn't know what to expect this time. I didn't want to get my hopes up again after the last time so I wasn't tuned into the speculation scene right away. Then June 12, 2018 arrived and everything changed for the better. I knew it that time for E3 again and thought there could be some Smash news. Then I find out that a trailer had been shown so I had to check it out. And holy Toledo, was I in for a surprise. The EVERYONE IS HERE tagline. Never expected it to happen plus it fueled my initial hype for Ultimate.

The end of the presentation. I wondered who Sakurai was going to show next. Who could it be? The trailer starts and it brings us to an ominous place. There's no way right? A sharp tail spears through Mega Man. Mario's head is crushed. They really did it didn't they? Then our glorious Space Pirate leader finally makes hype-worthy appearance! I had been dreaming of that day Ridley becoming playable and my expectations were exceeded. Everything about his reveal is perfect. Showing his cunning and brutal nature plus a smug side with twirling Cappy. I am so thankful that Sakurai made the attempt to make him smaller and it didn't change him one bit. His design and moveset are nothing short of amazing. I am thankful to celebrate Ridley's inclusion with you guys for years to come.

Love live our reptilian captains!!
K. Rool And Ridley.JPG

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Kraid's Spirit battle is the same, just on Omega Brinstar Depths, and oddly enough he also runs one of those Gym type of things in WoL, so he can train your Spirits in certain attributes. Hopefully we get plenty of fanart of Gym coach Kraid lol.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
We're nearing the finish line, Space Pirates. Come tomorrow, we'll finally have Ridley playable in a Super Smash Bros game - a dream that so many of us have shared, hoping it would become a reality one day. I'll be sure to recruit our Space Pirate commander ASAP when I get my physical copy tomorrow morning. It'll be amazing to finally see Ridley's silhouette against the "WARNING! CHALLENGER APPROACHING" signal.

It's been one crazy ride we've been on. I may have joined rather late in the speculation train for Ridley in Smash Bros, but I'm glad to have been a part of this community. Thanks everyone. We've been through quite a fair bit, from the "Too Big for Smash" jokes to the hard and demoralising de-confirmation we had from Smash 4... to finally having a reality where Ridley is in Smash Bros, alongside Dark Samus. Outside of a possible addition of Sylux, I'm super content that Metroid finally got the attention it deserved in Smash.

It's been an honour to be a part of a lively community.

See you next mission. ...and time for me to go to bed.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Just got my hands on the game and the Ridley amiibo a day early, so I think this is as good a time as any to thank everyone here again. Today is different from the days I picked up Brawl and Smash 4 thanks to all of you voicing your support for so many years, there's nothing bittersweet about this moment, rather it's a day where dreams are made reality. Cheers everyone.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Well mates, it’s been a wild ride.

I’ve never played a Metroid game, but I got on board the Ridley train during the Sm4sh speculation era. It was this thread (and K. Rool’s) that got me to join the boards and start posting.

It’s incredible that after all this time, we finally get to see our dreams in action.

Less than 24 hours, and our dreams will be a reality!

Never falter!

Phill-Bot

Smash Apprentice
Okay, now I NEED my King Kraid Rool mod, jankiness be damned.

On nonspoiler stuff, Space Pirate Rush is one of my favorite new moves in the game.
Hey thanks for liking my art! Btw, does anyone know why I can't get into the Ridley Discord??

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Kraid's Spirit battle is the same, just on Omega Brinstar Depths, and oddly enough he also runs one of those Gym type of things in WoL, so he can train your Spirits in certain attributes. Hopefully we get plenty of fanart of Gym coach Kraid lol.
Does that mean he actually talks in the game? Or does he just make Kraid noises?

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
Looks like Ridley's down-B did get changed with the day 1 update after all. But it doesn't ignore shields like the rumors said, it just breaks them in one hit when sweetspotted.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Looks like Ridley's down-B did get changed with the day 1 update after all. But it doesn't ignore shields like the rumors said, it just breaks them in one hit when sweetspotted.
Huh. That's actually even better than just ignoring shields (though the downside is that it probably can be countered). Now it really is pretty much Marth's Shield Breaker.

On the other hand I'm not sure if the spirit buffs are messing with the data, and if it's still strong enough in normal circumstances to do this.

Last edited:

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
Huh. That's actually even better than just ignoring shields (though the downside is that it probably can be countered). Now it really is pretty much Marth's Shield Breaker.

On the other hand I'm not sure if the spirit buffs are messing with the data, and if it's still strong enough in normal circumstances to do this.
It used to be super weak on shield, it'd be one hell of coincidence if it was just a fluke. But I guess we'll find out for sure in a few hours.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It used to be super weak on shield, it'd be one hell of coincidence if it was just a fluke. But I guess we'll find out for sure in a few hours.
Oh, I'm not doubting it will do lots of shield damage on a sweetspot, just not 100% on it being a break from full health.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Passing by to say the prospect of Ridley is upon us. Time to celebrate for years and years of waiting. Long live the Cunning God of Death, Ridley.

:bowser:.

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
Just gonna say Ridley mains, we better watch out for Joker now lol. Of all the characters who's hearts he'll be after, our lovable sadistic space dragon will be among the top of his list.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
30088519-2A3B-4E47-9A07-0AEB12FF8D99.jpeg

Time for me to go be a hermit shortly until work tomorrow.

And yeah, Reggie is a hero.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
So Mortal Kombat is being ported to Switch.

Given the series' history with guest characters, I kind of want Ridley in for them sweet, sweet fatalities.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
So Mortal Kombat is being ported to Switch.

Given the series' history with guest characters, I kind of want Ridley in for them sweet, sweet fatalities.
That or I wouldn’t mind having Scorpion or Sub-Zero as DLC for Smash. At least they’re more in the realm of possibility now, whom I’d mostly want to fight against Ryu and Ken as, making MK vs SF happen in the mother of all crossovers.

Also, for complete clarification on unlocking Ridley, it goes like this, or at least this was how I did it: Get Marth in WoL, play classic with him, unlock Ryu, play classic with Marth again, get Ganondorf, play classic with Marth again, get Lucina, play classic with her, get Ridley.

Basically, beat classic with Marth three times and then as his echo for a faster way to Ridley.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I didn't think I'd like Ridley as much as I do but he clicked with me surprisingly well...

CamZilla94

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5086-2929-3596
Switch FC
SW 2709 2387 5005
We should exchange Switch friend codes, I'd love to play with fellow Ridley fans!

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
So, I just had recieved this package:
IMG_20181207_154034 copy.jpg

xD And I was wondering if IT could be what I thought it was...that freakin' Grinch got me to doubt!
IMG_20181207_153050.jpg

xD But yeah, my curiosity killed me and here they are! >w< HE LOOKS GORGEOUS! XD I am actually going to take one out, but they look so pretty inside the box that it might take me a while to want to open it! >u< YEEEEEEE!

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
So, I just had recieved this package:
View attachment 182157
xD And I was wondering if IT could be what I thought it was...that freakin' Grinch got me to doubt!
View attachment 182158
xD But you, my curiosity killed me and here they are! >w< HE LOOKS GORGEOUS! XD I am actually going to take one out, but they look so pretty inside the box that it might take me a while to want to open it! >u< YEEEEEEE!
Oh man, I picked mine up on my way in. One of my coworkers is a huge Metroid fan, so I had to show him.

Can’t wait to put Ridley in my lineup. I arranged all of my amiibo by how much I like them, and Rids has a place in the front row :awesome:

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
Zer0 just on stream said "ya know how some people have more experience and knowledge than others well let's just every pro whose spent a lot of time playing ridley hates his guts"

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
he also dumped on rool and said he was painfully average....so according to his opinions(and other pro's in his words)those two characters aren't anything special and were just put in the game to be the joke characters

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
he also dumped on rool and said he was painfully average....so according to his opinions(and other pro's in his words)those two characters aren't anything special and were just put in the game to be the joke characters
Yeeeeah, let's see my main history and how that's stacked up to what the pros say:
:linkmelee::zeldamelee::link2::zelda::ike::pt::ganondorf::4link::4zelda::4myfriends::4ganondorf:

Well, I can sucessfully conclude that I don't give a flying **** about either of their competitive viability. RIDS AND K.ROOL ARE IN BABY!!!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Zero also had Wario on the bottom 2 weeks ago and at the top this week, it's almost like day 1 tier lists are bogus. It's almost like Zero has a habit of exaggerating or ignoring ****. Y'all act like it's personal

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeeeeah, let's see my main history and how that's stacked up to what the pros say:
:linkmelee::zeldamelee::link2::zelda::ike::pt::ganondorf::4link::4zelda::4myfriends::4ganondorf:

Well, I can sucessfully conclude that I don't give a flying **** about either of their competitive viability. RIDS AND K.ROOL ARE IN BABY!!!
That Zer0 would post a video about how K. Rool will be the best heavy in the game only to flip-flop should tell you how much he and the "pros" really know about the game.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
IMG_20181207_170403 copy.png

xD I couldn't resist...I just couldn't...

Last edited:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Why does ZeRo even make a tier list when there is practically no meta in place yet? I mean, the game just came out.
D70320B9-59C5-460C-983C-744ED22048E4.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom