• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Iblistech

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NeosCross
3DS FC
3179-6577-8881
Switch FC
SW-7096-0760-2425
Looking forward to meeting Ridley on the battlefield.

Still can't believe K. Rool and Ridley are in the same Smash game. Announced two months apart. Holy ****.
I know, right? It's pretty crazy, but I'm glad that we have both of them in Smash now!

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If you ever wondered what Ridley would look like if he were a typical customer at Hot Topic...

But seriously, that's a pretty cool shirt. Don't know who made it, but I'd love for Nintendo to sell something like this.

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman
My predictions, based on a couple criteria:

A) They have to be about as notable as Inklings, Ridley, Simon, and King K. Rool
B) They have to be long-standing requests, like Ridley, K. Rool, and Simon
C) They have to be reasonable; no anime or absurd 3rd party characters
D) Can't have strong evidence against them
E) Can't have been realized after the project plan was finished (December 2015)

In other words, they need to be characters that really "wow" people. Everyone's going nuts for Simon and K. Rool, and even Chrom and Dark Samus. If it's just a character that only a small, isolated demographic would be hype about, it's probably not happening. A lot of people don't seem to realize this adn are acting like this is a regular Smash game, when it's instead something special (the Japanese subtitle is "Special" as well), as all these huge and requested characters are getting in. Not ones like Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt, and Pit.

Of course, this means that character reveals won't be too surprising. The most surprising ones were Ridley and Dark Samus, with the former being said to be impossible in the past, and the latter just not being very popular or relevant right now. But we were all waiting for Simon, K. Rool, and Chrom. People expected those. This isn't about defying expectations, it's about satisfying demand.

Newcomers:
  1. Geno - Haven't played Super Mario RPG yet, don't understand the hype, but I've been hearing people want this guy since Melee. Sakurai's already discussed possibly adding him twice, and he was a Mii Costume in 4, so Sakurai has to know of the demand. Ashley was, too, but I'm assuming that Ashley just doesn't have a whole lot of moveset potential, hence her snub today.
  2. Skull Kid - Assist Trophy still MIA, and now we have a Moon one. Meant to replace the Skull Kid AT? Maybe. Skull Kid is the most notable villain in Zelda after Ganondorf, and he's also been requested quite a lot. Much like Metroid, Zelda hasn't really had a new rep since arguably Melee, but definitely not since Brawl. Meanwhile Fire Emblem got three in one game and got another today. Part of the problem is that there's been so many additional Zelda characters that have appeared over the years, so it's hard to pick just one. Skull Kid, though, seems to have stood the test of time (hah), so he's the most likely Zelda character we can expect.
  3. Sora - In the same boat as Cloud, in terms of "Square Enix RPG character that has a rabid fanbase that will die for him." Probably not as requested as Cloud, but has to be pretty close. Many Kingdom Hearts games were exclusive to Nintendo platforms as well, meaning there's some concrete ties to Nintendo that even Cloud didn't have. If we don't get Geno, I expect this.
  4. Banjo & Kazooie - Microsoft seems completely on board, it's a character more associated with the N64 than anything else, and they've also been requested for a long time. If Sakurai wanted to put them in the game, there wouldn't be anything more in the way than any other third party.
Echo Fighters:
  1. Shadow the Hedgehog - Sonic characters are always popular, and Shadow more than most. Unfortunately, he probably won't wield an MP5 to gun down aliens in this game. Maybe he can borrow Wario's motorcycle Side-B /s
  2. Isabelle - One of Vergeben's leaks, and he's been right about everything so far. Plus, there's a lot of support for Isabelle, as she apparently really took off in popularity after New Leaf. Her Assist Trophy is also still missing, just like Dark Samus and Skull Kid. Hm...
  3. Dixie Kong - Her possibility as an Echo Fighter seemed super unlikely, given that Diddy Kong's Up-B would not fit her character. However, now that we know that Echo Fighters can borrow moves from other characters, as with Chrom having Ike's Up-B, Dixie could maybe borrow someone else's Up-B functionality and have her ponytail animation. Duck Hunt would be a good candidate, I think. But that would cross another line, so who knows. In addition, this would mean that DK and Metroid, two of Nintendo's longest-running franchises that have gotten neglected in Smash for so long, will get both their major requested characters and some Echo Fighters of also requested characters. It'd be pretty poetic.
  4. Ken/Akuma - Akuma made a guest appearance in Tekken 7, so anything's possible. Ken is equally possible, though maybe not as noteworthy for inclusion. I wasn't too sure about 3rd party Echo Fighters (besides Shadow because he's Shadow), but we got freaking Richter, so I think this is definitely possible.
Things I'm predicting won't happen, not because I don't want them in the game or think they don't belong, but because they're just super unlikely to make the cut compared to everything else we've seen:
  1. Octolings - I said above that I didn't think they'd happen, and I was right. They're just not distinct enough to warrant an extra slot, even as an Echo Fighter. Plus, Ultimate's project plan was finished in December 2015, and Octolings are only notable now because of the expansion that came out less than two months ago. Kind of surprised so many people thought they were definitely going to happen.
  2. Rayman - While Nintendo has a very healthy relationship with Ubisoft right now, I don't see Rayman being notable enough to stand beside the likes of Cloud and Simon.
  3. Bandana Waddle Dee - Same as Rayman, just not notable enough to "wow" people. A lot of Kirby fans are almost completely sure that he's in the game, but that's pretty unreasonable. I'd love to see him, I just don't think it's happening anytime soon.
  4. Impa - People are saying Sheik Echo Fighter, but that seems redundant. The character's most notable appearance is in Hyrule Warriors, where she wields a giant sword. Is her appearance in Ocarina of Time enough to make it in? I don't think so.
  5. Another Fire Emblem Character - We got Chrom, that puts us at seven characters. That's one more than Legend of Zelda, and one less than Mario. I think Sakurai knows by now that adding any more would be absurd. But Chrom was important, and people still wanted him, so here we are.
  6. ARMS character/Spring Man - ARMS is a cool new franchise from Nintendo, but not groundbreaking like Splatoon was. It sold well, but Splatoon is another caliber. Again, the project plan was finished in 2015, a year and a half before ARMS released, so it's unlikely Sakurai would've banked on it that far ahead.
  7. Solaire - Again, the project plan. Dark Souls 3 wasn't even out when it was completed, so there was probably no plan for the Remastered version, let alone that it'd come to Switch. Heck, it still isn't on Switch because it got delayed indefinitely.
  8. Rex & Pyra - Project plan, project plan. Game came out late 2017, almost two years after the game started development. It's insane to think that they'd include a character from a game that far out.
  9. Breath of the Wild Champions - Not only are they after 2015, but there's four of them--how do you choose which one? And they aren't very notable within the game, either. Story and characters weren't BotW's strongsuits. Plus, each of them only has one noteworthy ability and weapon, which is pretty limiting.
  10. Literally any character after 2015
  11. Chibi-Robo - *sigh* I got Dark Samus. I'm counting my blessings. I didn't think either of them would ever happen to begin with. But I got one. That's more than most people can say.
I fully agree with this except on Impa, Bandanna Dee, and Rayman. But I still see Banjo over him, as he probably did better on the the ballot

Crainy

Smash Apprentice
I will mostly likely buy a switch just to play this game and to play as Ridley. Thank you Sakurai for making this dream come true!

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I need some Ridley vs Skull Kid in my life
For some reason I just got the image in my head of Skull Kid/Majora summoning the Moon down on the world, but then Bowser, Ganondorf, Ridley, and K. Rool materialize to hold it back like the giants from the game. Maybe add Dedede to the crew if symmetry isn't a concern.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
If the Skull Kid rumours are true, I'm going to be a REALLY happy gamer.

My Top 3 are Skull Kid, Bandana Dee and Ridley. Skull kid being number 1 by a good margin. All that's missing is Bandana Dee.

If I get all 3, I'll never complain about Smash again!!!!

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime

My Top 3 are Skull Kid, Bandana Dee and Ridley. Skull kid being number 1 by a good margin. All that's missing is Bandana Dee.

My Top 3 are Chibi-Robo, Dark Samus, and Ridley as a more distant third. I was happy with just Ridley, because I didn't know how much I wanted him until I saw him revealed and how perfect he is. Dark Samus and Chibi-Robo were long shots to begin with, and with the popular request theme of Ultimate, I knew they'd never get in. Dark Samus especially, given that we already got one Metroid character, so it'd be super unlikely to get another.

Then Samus's alt color of Dark Samus was missing and replaced with something entirely random, speculation began, and the rest is history. If it weren't for that alt color business, I'd never have expected it. Even then I didn't actually believe it would happen.

Hopefully more dreams come true for other people. Geno, Skull Kid, Banjo Kazooie, and Sora are my top predictions, following the pattern of huge requests. I think Skull Kid has a good chance.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

My top five have been relatively unchanged,
top5.png

I said at the beginning that I would be happy with the final roster if at least one of these five made it in. Now that we're at two, I'm sort of at a loss. Though if Sakurai finally added in Ganon alongside Ganondorf, as impossible as it seems right now, it would cinch it for me as the perfect Smash roster.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

If we get Skull Kid I'll have gotten 4 of my Top 5, which was Ridley, Ivysaur, Skull Kid, K. Rool and Porky, considering I didn't have any hope for any of those besides K. Rool I'm completely overwhelmed, especially with how early 3 of them have been confirmed. Ridley alone meant the world to me, I really didn't need anything else, so to see this game absolutely hitting it out of the park and there's even a very good chance Skull Kid will happen, wow, I wouldn't even have dared dreaming of this scenario.

OmegaX5000

Smash Journeyman
If they announce Skull Kid, Rayman, and Hades, I'll have no problem calling this the best Smash game ever and wouldn't ask for anything more afterwards. As awesome as it would be, I have my doubts about Blaze ever getting in, even as an echo of Sonic. But I am stoked to play as all the new characters already announced for Ultimate, and I am very surprised with how (relatively) early on they decided to announce Ridley, but better that than to have us wait in anticipation and put up with detractors again for another 6 months.

CamZilla94

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5086-2929-3596
Switch FC
SW 2709 2387 5005
Does anyone have a link to this Skullkid rumor/leak?

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
My top five have been relatively unchanged,
View attachment 158003
I said at the beginning that I would be happy with the final roster if at least one of these five made it in. Now that we're at two, I'm sort of at a loss. Though if Sakurai finally added in Ganon alongside Ganondorf, as impossible as it seems right now, it would cinch it for me as the perfect Smash roster.
This made me think about the villain lineup for this game, and we already have:
  1. Bowser
  2. Ganondorf
  3. King Dedede
  4. Wolf
  5. Ridley
  6. King K. Rool
We just need an Earthbound villain and an F-Zero villain to complete things. Problem is, neither of those is popular enough to warrant their appearance right now. Oh well, maybe someday.

That's not a rumor/leak, that's just some guy on Twitter saying that he thinks Skull Kid will be playable.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
This made me think about the villain lineup for this game, and we already have:
  1. Bowser
  2. Ganondorf
  3. King Dedede
  4. Wolf
  5. Ridley
  6. King K. Rool
We just need an Earthbound villain and an F-Zero villain to complete things. Problem is, neither of those is popular enough to warrant their appearance right now. Oh well, maybe someday.

That's not a rumor/leak, that's just some guy on Twitter saying that he thinks Skull Kid will be playable.
He's a known leaked, good track record so far.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Skull Kid is not one of my most wanted but he/it is one I would be hyped to see in the game. Just love the idea of a psychotic possessed puppet-like entity with a cursed mask in control as a fighter. Cool.

Most of my wanted have already join to the series and with Ridley's reveal, it stunned me and still am in a way.

Ridley was the character that I wanted and did not expect, and somehow, he joined the madness with that trailer and the rest is history. I am at that point in which Ridley MAKES the game for me and any other character is extra. Still excited that our very own fellow Kutthroats join in the celebration with K. Rool. Gotta love the spread out attention for reptiles in the game. And the roster shaping up to be one of the best if not the best by far.

Any other that I might want are extras at this very point. Geno and Shadow, to be exact. Which are pretty much considered as possible by Smashboards standards, which is amusing and cool by itself. Any other character like Ray/Custom Robo rep and/or Skull Kid are extras at this point and would be cool to join.

I am more than acceptant on this roster and much more on the game itself and I can't just wait to play as our beloved purple extraterrestial dragon pirate but to enjoy the game, which is just aces at this point.

:bowser:.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm coming around to the idea of a Skull Kid fighter. I was initially indifferent but he has the potential to be really unique as far as Smash fighters go, and it would be nice to see Zelda get a genuine newcomer after 17 years. Doesn't hurt that Majora's Mask is my favorite Zelda.

Would also confirm that Sakurai is blatantly focusing on adding villains this time, with the addition of the (fairly minor in the big scheme of things) Skull Kid.

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
Skull kid is one of those fighters who I never knew I wanted until I saw a lot of suspicious circumstances that hint at his inclusion. Now I can't wait to see how he plays.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
The only thing kinda iffy about Skull Kid is that you never actually fight him in MM, but given that Sakurai has given movesets to people that have less, I'm not worried.
I just wish that Pig Ganon is either added as DLC or is put in next game given how unlikely his chances are now.

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
He's a known leaked, good track record so far.
Loz did say there are at least two more fighters, one of whom is hinted to be Skull Kid, and more echoes. He is definitely worth paying attention to.
Huh, I've never heard of him, and is Twitter presence seems... meek. I figured he must have been some leaker, but he didn't look the part. Because I'm predicting that Skull Kid and Geno will be playable, and I'm predicting no less than two more characters, just based on observable support, the evidence at hand, and the patterns that we see, so it's not hard to come to these conclusions without leaks.

Late but congrats Smooth Criminal Smooth Criminal on being the Ultimate Dedede board mod.
Good, we need some more Dedede mains in positions of power.

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
Loz leaked the fact that there would be an August direct and the fact that tournament mode would be returning. Apparently Vergeben has consulted with him on some of his sources. They both say that Skull Kid is very likely, and that we're getting a 7th gen pokemon of some sort. More echo fighters are coming too, but we have no idea how many.

My money is on Skull Kid, Incineroar, Isabelle, Shadow, and maybe one or two more echo fighters.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Loz leaked the fact that there would be an August direct and the fact that tournament mode would be returning. Apparently Vergeben has consulted with him on some of his sources. They both say that Skull Kid is very likely, and that we're getting a 7th gen pokemon of some sort. More echo fighters are coming too, but we have no idea how many.

My money is on Skull Kid, Incineroar, Isabelle, Shadow, and maybe one or two more echo fighters.
Loz said to disregard his claims on the August direct as the date he heard was wrong. However, he got Inkling's moveset almost 100% right

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I mean, I also predicted that there'd be an August Direct, followed by an October Direct, each announcing 2-3 new characters and 1-3 Echo Fighters. But I don't have any inside sources. This Smash isn't difficult to predict, really. The only thing that's hard to predict are the finer details, like all the non-character reveals from the last Direct. Not saying this to discredit actual leakers, but so far the only prediction of mine that didn't come true was Ashley as a playable character, so if I can do it, anyone with a reasonable outlook on things can as well.

So does anyone here have a 2nd newcomer they're hoping for? I'm rooting for Elma.
Chibi-Robo. But it'll never happen. He and Dark Samus were my two most wanted, both very unlikely, and somehow I got one of them, so I'm counting my blessings. For a while, though, Chibi-Robo seemed likelier, due to having a new, more action-oriented game in 2015, as well as being a more unique character with unique moves, which would appeal to Sakurai given how he likes to challenge himself to take unlikely characters and give them an interesting moveset.

At least Cheebo is in Super Smash Flash 2.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
So does anyone here have a 2nd newcomer they're hoping for? I'm rooting for Elma.
Technically third, because K. Rool and Ridley were my biggest requests... but now that the dust settled and they're both in, Banjo-Kazooie. I'm feeling pretty optimistic about his odds after last week's Direct, but if he isn't in, it won't be any big loss.

IronTed

Smash Ace
Huh, I've never heard of him, and is Twitter presence seems... meek. I figured he must have been some leaker, but he didn't look the part. Because I'm predicting that Skull Kid and Geno will be playable, and I'm predicting no less than two more characters, just based on observable support, the evidence at hand, and the patterns that we see, so it's not hard to come to these conclusions without leaks.

Good, we need some more Dedede mains in positions of power.
Edit: After rereading your posts, yeah, that is true, but obvious or not, he has a record. At this point though, with most characters revealed, and only a few months left, predicting is definitely much easier.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Elma’s my new most wanted character for Ultimate as well, ha. Besides her, I’m also rooting for Dixie Kong and Paper Mario to get in, but I won’t be too upset if they don’t get in, as I’m already more than satisfied with Ridley in the game.

However, as far as dream candidates go, Terra from FFVI stands heads and shoulders above them all. I doubt she’ll become playable in this game though, but it’s cool to imagine it.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
The Dragonborn. That's the only character I really want at this point.

I'd love to see some more love for the Zelda series (I just got on the Skull Kid train, and I'd be pleasantly surprised by a Twili Midna echo of Zelda), and I think Tails deserves to finally get in, but the only character I really want to see is Dovahkiin.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
List of wanted newcomers: Ashley, Monster Hunter, Dr. Coyle, Reiji Arisu (from Namco x Capcom and the Project X Zone games) and Rex with Pyra & Mythra. Those are the main ones, but I'd also like to see a new Kid Icarus goddess and Ken just because I like playing Ryu, or Chun-Li if they're feeling ambitious. And even if it's not really "necessary" with the advent of Dark Samus, I'd still like a Luminoth rep like U-Mos for the potential light & dark zoning.

Top Bottom