• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
We also got to see something as rare and epic as this:

View attachment 158973

Sakurai wasn't kidding when he said it'd be easier to land with multiple players.
Seeing it pulled off like that makes me feel it may a future in doubles. It should be easier to set up when you have a partner that can either play decoy and get the opponent's attention off of you, or get them in a position to get stabbed by it.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
So Ridley is Bucky in this context because of the whole parent murder thing?
"That ain't SA-X"

Also I am totally down with Dark Samus being Captain America in this scenario.

We also got to see something as rare and epic as this:

View attachment 158973

Sakurai wasn't kidding when he said it'd be easier to land with multiple players.
Oh yeah, I mostly play 1v1v1 matches with my family, and it's definitely easier to land moves like that when players are distracted with someone else. Some of King Dedede and Ganondorf's moves can actually be successful in those scenarios, for once.

StormC

Smash Hero
Neutral in all aspects: a very boring and so underwhelming addition, imo.
Pokemon has to offer much more interesting concepts: Decidueye, PRIMARINA (!!!), Zeraora, a Tapu or a Tapu tag team, and surely there are also other possibilities.
But also a Sceptile, very relevantduring ballot days and the end of project plan
You don't think a giant wrestler fire cat is an interesting choice? I'd prefer Decidueye but would have no problem at all with Incineroar. I personally would find choices like Sceptile much more boring (and this is coming from someone who likes Sceptile), and think Pokemon like Primarina or a Tapu would have a difficult time being translated well to Smash.

OmegaX5000

Smash Journeyman
I just had a crazy idea that could potentially be very amazing for Ultimate. What if there were an Assist Trophy toggle? With this, we could pick and choose which Assist Trophy characters would appear during a match, which could result in an all-Metroid themed battle: Samus VS Dark Samus VS Ridley with Kraid in the background and Mother Brain and the Metroids attacking whoever didn't summon them! And that's just ONE scenario that would be possible with this sort of toggle, although it does somewhat detract from the main appeal of Assist Trophies being randomly chosen.

What do you guys think?

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I just had a crazy idea that could potentially be very amazing for Ultimate. What if there were an Assist Trophy toggle? With this, we could pick and choose which Assist Trophy characters would appear during a match, which could result in an all-Metroid themed battle: Samus VS Dark Samus VS Ridley with Kraid in the background and Mother Brain and the Metroids attacking whoever didn't summon them! And that's just ONE scenario that would be possible with this sort of toggle, although it does somewhat detract from the main appeal of Assist Trophies being randomly chosen.

What do you guys think?
I've said it a couple of times, but I'm dead certain that has to be an Event Match. If it isn't, I'll be genuinely shocked.

But an Assist Trophy/Pokemon toggle would be great, and seems like one of those options or changes that this game would add, but so far it doesn't seem like we're getting it. I'd hoped that the stage hazard toggle would allow us to change which hazards we'd want to toggle on and off, but it's just a binary switch with no discretion, so I doubt we'll get anything specific for Pokemon and Assist Trophies.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Tried remaking my chess set with K. Rool.
1534885708366.png

Made the Metroid characters queens since Samus is the female protagonist of a long-running series and Ridley is the secondary villain of the games.

Rizen

Smash Legend

What do you guys think?
Yes! I'd like to see that.

Last edited:

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Why y'all not about talking about ridleys new aerial mystery move or did I miss it?
You don't mean the one Alpharad was going on about? That's just his F-air. All of Ridley's moves have been documented by this point, you can find a few videos going over them and Smashwiki should have descriptions.

Squii The Fish

Smash Journeyman
You don't mean the one Alpharad was going on about? That's just his F-air. All of Ridley's moves have been documented by this point, you can find a few videos going over them and Smashwiki should have descriptions.
w---..what I didnt watch that--- No I didn't... Whats a alpharad I dont follow you.t... tub.... uhh...

You hath exposed me

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Some more direct capture footage from Gamescom

Randomly cuts/doesn't show much (Per NDA, you're only allowed to show 3 minutes of footage that you have to commentate, so they cut a lot of the 2nd game), but interesting to note, Ridley's aerial side B seemingly outprioritizes or at least outranges Ganondorf's when facing each other.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Some more direct capture footage from Gamescom

Randomly cuts/doesn't show much (Per NDA, you're only allowed to show 3 minutes of footage that you have to commentate, so they cut a lot of the 2nd game), but interesting to note, Ridley's aerial side B seemingly outprioritizes or at least outranges Ganondorf's when facing each other.
I looked closely, and I don't think Ganondorf's Side-B had fully started up yet. Ridley started first and advanced forward to Ganondorf, who hadn't yet moved, so I don't think his move was active yet.

I get it's not 1v1, but that was a mediocre at best Ridley performance.
It was abysmal. The guy was just spamming moves when no one was around and then SD'd. That's not just a bad performance, I'm wondering if that person has ever played Smash before.

So far the only good Ridley games I've seen are the one in the Dark Samus gameplay we saw yesterday and the gameplay by that one pro player from Spain. Which is what makes me really curious about what Ridley's true potential is in the hands of someone actually proficient with the character. People are saying he's either low or mid tier, but who knows, he might be better once people actually train with him.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Sakurai had a very beautiful line in his most recent article
https://sourcegaming.info/2018/08/2...smash-direct-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-561/

"In order to make him more K. Rool-esque, we had to make sure he stood up perfectly straight. Of course, we couldn’t make him too tall, however, so please forgive us for shrinking him down a bit. Then again, it isn’t like anything else in Smash is to scale anyway."

Rizen

Smash Legend
So far the only good Ridley games I've seen are the one in the Dark Samus gameplay we saw yesterday and the gameplay by that one pro player from Spain. Which is what makes me really curious about what Ridley's true potential is in the hands of someone actually proficient with the character. People are saying he's either low or mid tier, but who knows, he might be better once people actually train with him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D72Uf8OyUo&index=20&list=PLhiLe5dqqxnKQ7RzMEBYFz3A2DHSEXYAo
Check out the rest of the playlist too. Some players are good but there are also scrubs.

IronTed

Smash Ace
I looked closely, and I don't think Ganondorf's Side-B had fully started up yet. Ridley started first and advanced forward to Ganondorf, who hadn't yet moved, so I don't think his move was active yet.

It was abysmal. The guy was just spamming moves when no one was around and then SD'd. That's not just a bad performance, I'm wondering if that person has ever played Smash before.

Yeah, there are a few good fights out there, but in general it seems most have yet to discover Ridley's true potential.

Sakurai had a very beautiful line in his most recent article
https://sourcegaming.info/2018/08/2...smash-direct-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-561/

"In order to make him more K. Rool-esque, we had to make sure he stood up perfectly straight. Of course, we couldn’t make him too tall, however, so please forgive us for shrinking him down a bit. Then again, it isn’t like anything else in Smash is to scale anyway."
After so many years of pointless debate, seeing this is incredibly satisfying.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Seeing all of this footage, it makes me so happy that this happened. He IS playable, finally.

He looks so cool, in character, and damn is he huge. But in a good way.

:bowser:.

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, question time!
What was your predicted Ridley moveset BEFORE his reveal. What moves did you think he would have

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Hey guys, question time!
What was your predicted Ridley moveset BEFORE his reveal. What moves did you think he would have
Pogo-tail as his down air seemed like a given, but I suppose it might have been difficult to balance. I also thought they'd make him a reverse Little Mac, like he'd be really slow on the ground but strong and fast in the air, I even thought they might give him an aerial grab, but I much prefer how they did it instead by giving him a more simple moveset and not focus on any crazy gimmicks. I think the only move I really had thought of that ended up becoming a reality were the fireballs, but that was a pretty obvious one.

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
So Smash Ultimate is confirmed to be around 16 GB in size. That's about the same size as the Wii U game, but apparently Nintendo's compression tools are insanely improved. There's almost twice as much music, but Sakurai said in his recent column that it only takes up 25% of the space that the Wii U version took, with no loss in quality.

Funnily enough, I've seen some people blame the size on Ridley. Sakurai was trying to warn us all this time!

Sadly, though, I've also seen people seriously go "Story mode confirmed" based on this, thinking that HD cutscenes and stuff are a chunk of the filesize. Despite the Wii U game being the same size with less content.

I'm telling you, we're not getting a crazy story mode like SSE. That'd be way too much work in the short development time the game has. The game is just going to be focused on the basics like Smash 4 was, which is why that game's development and this one are going much more smoothly and healthily than Brawl's did. I would LOVE a sequel to SSE with all these characters, but it's just not practical with this release window. Only DLC would make sense, after all DLC characters are added, but I don't think Sakurai is the kind of guy that would sell something like that post-launch, and he'd probably just want to work on another game.

If I end up having to eat my words and this "Spirits" mode is some form of real story mode with cutscenes on the level of SSE or the trailers and not just a Melee-styled Adventure Mode, I will write and mail a letter to Sakurai apologizing for my doubt in his abilities.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Nintendo should just commission a web series or something to satisfy people obsessed with a story mode.
People liked Subspace for the gameplay. A web series wouldn't help. The game play was awesome; it was basically a Kirby's Amazing Mirror with other Nintendo characters and bad*** cutscenes.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So Smash Ultimate is confirmed to be around 16 GB in size. That's about the same size as the Wii U game, but apparently Nintendo's compression tools are insanely improved. There's almost twice as much music, but Sakurai said in his recent column that it only takes up 25% of the space that the Wii U version took, with no loss in quality.

Funnily enough, I've seen some people blame the size on Ridley. Sakurai was trying to warn us all this time!

Sadly, though, I've also seen people seriously go "Story mode confirmed" based on this, thinking that HD cutscenes and stuff are a chunk of the filesize. Despite the Wii U game being the same size with less content.

I'm telling you, we're not getting a crazy story mode like SSE. That'd be way too much work in the short development time the game has. The game is just going to be focused on the basics like Smash 4 was, which is why that game's development and this one are going much more smoothly and healthily than Brawl's did. I would LOVE a sequel to SSE with all these characters, but it's just not practical with this release window. Only DLC would make sense, after all DLC characters are added, but I don't think Sakurai is the kind of guy that would sell something like that post-launch, and he'd probably just want to work on another game.

If I end up having to eat my words and this "Spirits" mode is some form of real story mode with cutscenes on the level of SSE or the trailers and not just a Melee-styled Adventure Mode, I will write and mail a letter to Sakurai apologizing for my doubt in his abilities.
I said it yesterday in the general Ultimate discussion thread, but I think the lack of a SSE-style story mode is going to be what fans moan about this time instead of the roster. Way too many people are expecting it now, more so on casual gaming sites than here on Smashboards, but they're not really taking into account just how ridiculous the workload is for this game already, I really can't imagine them being able to develop a fully-fledged story mode on top of everything we've already seen. Not least to mention that if it was a thing then the marketing machine would already be in full swing, there's just no way they would dedicate so many resources to something so big and not use it as one of the game's main selling points.

I don't think people are considering just how hard it'd be to juggle upwards of 70 characters in a story mode either, even in Brawl a lot of the characters got shafted, and Ultimate has more than double its amount of characters, it'd be impossible to have every character be involved in the story in some role. On paper it sounds extremely appealing, but I think it'd be very clumsy in execution.

Personally I don't care about it at all, because while the cutscenes were amazing the gameplay was extremely lacking, especially as far as level design is concerned. Whatever Spirits is I hope it's something new that encourages the player to go back and play it many times, but either way it's too late for me to feel really disappointed in this game in any way, Ridley sealed that deal.

Last edited:

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman

Sakurai here, please take a look at this. That's right, We've developed two story modes just to prove Diem wrong. Never talk **** about me on the internet again.

Rizen

Smash Legend
IMO people are discounting story mode too quickly. In The direct Sakurai teased a hidden mode and said Rathalos would appear as a boss. Once you have the characters and world physics, story mode isn't that hard to throw together.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Sakurai here, please take a look at this. That's right, We've developed two story modes just to prove Diem wrong. Never talk **** about me on the internet again.
Hey, as much as I'm certain I'm right, I'd love to be wrong. I'd love for there to be a big SSE-scale story with Dark Samus and Ridley and Snake and Mega Man and Cloud. I was really disappointed we didn't get an SSE mode in Smash 4 (though in hindsight a little relieved, because that'd mean that Bayonetta, Cloud, Ryu, etc. would've been excluded).

If we get a full-blown story mode announced, and Sakurai announces it with the Dark Samus Amiibo sitting on his desk to taunt me, I'll get a tattoo of his face on my arm, and Smash Ultimate will be my all-time favorite game for the rest of my life.

IMO people are discounting story mode too quickly. In The direct Sakurai teased a hidden mode and said Rathalos would appear as a boss. Once you have the characters and world physics, story mode isn't that hard to throw together.
I didn't notice it at first (was too hype for Dark Samus), because I thought that Dracula and Rathalos were part of the Castlevania and Monster Hunter stages, like Yellow Devil in the Mega Man stage or Ridley in the Pyrosphere stage, but it's clear that their stages aren't for multiplayer and must be for another mode.

Adventure Mode in Melee was full of environments and stages exclusive to that mode, so that's what I'm expecting out of this game. A modest little string of environments and encounters like that, but maybe with a bit more polish and better presentation. Like you said, something just sort of thrown together. I'm excited for that, because I loved Melee's Adventure Mode, as barebones as it was. It was simple, but sometimes that's all you need. Let us just run through the Mushroom Kingdom or Hyrule Catacombs as Samus, blasting Goombas and Octorocks.

However, people seriously think that the trailers and file size means that SSE is confirmed. Despite the fact that Smash 4 had the same kind of trailers, and Smash Wii U had about the same file size with less content. These are the kind of people who probably expected a new Smash game soon, because they don't realize how much work is done behind the scenes to make these games as good as they are, making Ultimate such a genuine surprise. They think that a new story mode would be simple to implement, despite all the work already going into the game.

I made a thread on the Smash Reddit with my reasoning a couple weeks ago, and the top-voted reply was just "but we ultimate tho," so most people seem to believe it'll happen just because they want it, not because of any thoughtful reasoning or evidence. I shudder to think what the reaction will be when it's not what they're expecting. As MasterOfKnees MasterOfKnees said, it'll probably be the biggest complaint about the game, and for no reason other than that people aren't trying to be reasonable with their expectations.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
People liked Subspace for the gameplay. A web series wouldn't help. The game play was awesome; it was basically a Kirby's Amazing Mirror with other Nintendo characters and bad*** cutscenes.
Anyone who liked Subspace for the gameplay must have incredibly low standards. The physics are somehow even worse and slower than regular Brawl, the levels are long and set in such exciting locations as: a forest! Another forest! A plain! An empty brown castle! An endless generic sci-fi facility! The enemies who aren’t basically pointless are annoying. The level design is serviceable and nothing more. Then you have the wonderful Great Maze. Ever wanted a Metroidvania with awful physics and incredibly limited movement options? Now you’ve got it!

I can understand enjoying Subspace for the decent cutscenes and bosses, but anything past that is beyond me. That and you’re the only person I’ve ever seen to ever claim to want Story Mode for the gameplay.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think people just want a story mode for the cutscenes. Can't blame 'em for wanting them, but cutscenes aren't enough to make a story mode good. Subspace proves that.

Honestly, the best part of Subspace for me was the bosses, so if we get a special mode that focuses solely on battling various Nintendo bosses (not just generic Smash-exclusive bosses), I'd be more than content. I don't really need a drawn-out story mode to be happy.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Anyone who liked Subspace for the gameplay must have incredibly low standards. The physics are somehow even worse and slower than regular Brawl, the levels are long and set in such exciting locations as: a forest! Another forest! A plain! An empty brown castle! An endless generic sci-fi facility! The enemies who aren’t basically pointless are annoying. The level design is serviceable and nothing more. Then you have the wonderful Great Maze. Ever wanted a Metroidvania with awful physics and incredibly limited movement options? Now you’ve got it!

I can understand enjoying Subspace for the decent cutscenes and bosses, but anything past that is beyond me. That and you’re the only person I’ve ever seen to ever claim to want Story Mode for the gameplay.
The physics are exactly the same as normal brawl. Just because you don't like something does not mean it was poorly made. It was done in the style of Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, with % based on finding exits, and Brawl's system. The locations are from the characters' games; if FE bad for having castle stages or LoZ for having forests? The enemies were better with more strategy and variety than most platformers. Again the movement and physics were exactly the same as the rest of Brawl; I used subspace to practice DACUS and ledge hops. You had many more options than games like 2D metroids, Mario, etc for movement; in Mario you can jump, spin jump and use B moves with powerups. In smash you have neutral, tilted and smash attacks/specials in 4 directions, grabs, etc.

Many people like Subspace; it's fine if you don't but don't diss the people that do. I don't go around saying people who like Fire Emblem have "low standards" just because I don't like it. Smash games are known for the immense amount of time and quality put into them, if not balance :/

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
The physics in Subspace were worse than what came in the regular brawl battles. It was extremely tedious and not very well received as time went on. It was extremely repetitive in comparison to a typical Kirby game and some stages were far too long.

I'd say the most memorable part of Subspace were the cut scenes and I feel the reveal trailers from Smash For - Ultimate completely blow those out of the water.

Now that isn't to say one can't like Subspace it does have a ton of fans just because it is a cross over Kirby game. Though if I had to rank Subspace with actual Kirby games then it would be at the very very very bottom of the list.

Rizen

Smash Legend
It was extremely tedious and not very well received as time went on.
Subspace was built on the same engine as normal brawl. It had the exact same physics. What are you basing this^ on?

Subspace had 35 playable characters. It was great for practicing movements with new characters to keep it fresh.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Subspace was built on the same engine as normal brawl. It had the exact same physics. What are you basing this^ on?

Subspace had 35 playable characters. It was great for practicing movements with new characters to keep it fresh.
The physics are definitely different in Subspace and comparing Subspace to Versus makes it apparent.

The physics of many (if not all) characters are also tweaked slightly. In general, characters run slower, fall faster, and jump better than in brawls. However, the midair jumps of a character that possesses more than one will be worse than normal. Move mechanics are not altered, although the differing jump heights, jump timing, and gravity will change how effective aerial attacks are.
https://www.ssbwiki.com/Adventure_Mode:_The_Subspace_Emissary

Top Bottom