• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime

IronTed

Smash Ace
Same, I never knew the physics were different.

I really enjoyed SSE, for more than the cutscenes and bosses, but to be frank, it definitely could have been much better, and with a roster over double the size, we'll probably never get something equivalent to it again.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
A game like Project X Zone is probably the best example of how to handle a story with such a large and diverse cast in videogaming. Being full, lengthy games lets them give everyone a fair shake. Nobody is left to unlock at the last minute, and you get tons of interesting interactions. You have to go big or go home with these stories, no compromises.

So we have four Metroid stages and four reps. I think I can assign each character a home stage.

Brinstar: Samus (Classic combination)
Brinstar Depths: Ridley (Gets to be with his good buddy Kraid)
Norfair: Zero Suit Samus (Brawl debutants)
Frigate Orpheon: Dark Samus (Prime connection, also the very first eyewitness of the effects of Phazon)

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Like 1 week or so ago, my brain finally setteled around the fact that Ridley is IN THE GAME!
Took so damn long to process it!

Now I'm currently at the same type of longterm disbelief regarding K Rool's inclusion.
Still can't believe he's IN THE GAME!

Rizen

Smash Legend
Hope it wasn't posted here already...
Three matches with Ridley (vs. Ness, vs. Bowser, vs. Ness) at Gamescom between two german youtubers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mjzw76I--o

With items, but Ridley does look really strong here in capable hands.
That f3 jump squat really helps super heavies. On the other hand DK/Bowser/Link and maybe others all lost their throw>aerial combos, although they might get patched in later. As such Ridley might be stronger than Bowser in the demo.

Spatman

Smash Ace
I looked closely, and I don't think Ganondorf's Side-B had fully started up yet. Ridley started first and advanced forward to Ganondorf, who hadn't yet moved, so I don't think his move was active yet.

It was abysmal. The guy was just spamming moves when no one was around and then SD'd. That's not just a bad performance, I'm wondering if that person has ever played Smash before.

So far the only good Ridley games I've seen are the one in the Dark Samus gameplay we saw yesterday and the gameplay by that one pro player from Spain. Which is what makes me really curious about what Ridley's true potential is in the hands of someone actually proficient with the character. People are saying he's either low or mid tier, but who knows, he might be better once people actually train with him.
Look for Quik's Ridley then (Quik is the second ranked player in Germany for Smash 4, who last month won the UK Smash Ultimate Invitational using almost all the time Ridley)

IronTed

Smash Ace
Oh wow, a game where the Ridley player actually knows what he's doing.

But for real, Ridley actually looked pretty solid. At this point I just want him to fall into the vast chasm between utter trash and broken.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I'm bored.

Hopefully a playable demo will be released. Of course I'll need to get a Switch first. :/

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Hey guys, question time!
What was your predicted Ridley moveset BEFORE his reveal. What moves did you think he would have
For the longest time, I always wanted Ridley to have a multi-jab neutral attack in his moveset, both to distinguish his moveset from Samus/ZSS and from the other villains and draconic characters since they never had one. I felt it’d make him more unique and in no way a “Charizard clone” like the detractors would say of him. So to see him actually have one in his repertoire completely blew me away! Especially after getting used to the popular Bagan mod where I had previously seen it as the closest thing we’d get to a playable Ridley!

Other than that, the only other move I can recall predicting before it was confirmed was a biting dash attack.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
So in this month's issue of GameInformer, there was a cute drawing by some kid named Elijah Crowe about Ridley getting into Smash. I decided to scan it to share:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
So in this month's issue of GameInformer, there was a cute drawing by some kid named Elijah Crowe about Ridley getting into Smash. I decided to scan it to share:

What does that smaller text say? Adventure????

Also cute to see R.O.B. there, love my little roboty

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Hey guys, question time!
What was your predicted Ridley moveset BEFORE his reveal. What moves did you think he would have
Was expecting a lot of things to be taken from Proteus Ridley (namely some of the new moves introduced by him which I did a halfbaked moveset for) because muh recency.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039

Aaaw, that is so sweet. You see, Nintendo, kids also like the villains, or in this case Ridley.

As brutal of a character he is, hehe.

:bowser:.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Was expecting a lot of things to be taken from Proteus Ridley (namely some of the new moves introduced by him which I did a halfbaked moveset for) because muh recency.
Honestly most of the "new" stuff Ridley did in Samus Returns seems actually lifted from Brawl, like the tail drag or the dashing grab, just modified a bit. It's actually pretty impressive how that non-playable appearance influenced so many later ones.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Honestly most of the "new" stuff Ridley did in Samus Returns seems actually lifted from Brawl, like the tail drag or the dashing grab, just modified a bit. It's actually pretty impressive how that non-playable appearance influenced so many later ones.
I suppose so, yeah. He had by far the best looking version of the grab in Samus Returns though. Had it in Other M too, but it was just kinda there.

Speaking of Proteus Ridley though, does anyone still have the meme image where he says "I sleep" and then "I wake" ? Thought it should be updated with his playable Smash appearance, but couldn't find it again. There's still the gif the part at least...

ridleywakesup.gif

Like how well just that one little moment perfectly represents his tenacity.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I am still wondering since the game has mecha ridley why not have a classic purple ridley as an alt

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I suppose so, yeah. He had by far the best looking version of the grab in Samus Returns though. Had it in Other M too, but it was just kinda there.

Speaking of Proteus Ridley though, does anyone still have the meme image where he says "I sleep" and then "I wake" ? Thought it should be updated with his playable Smash appearance, but couldn't find it again. There's still the gif the part at least...

View attachment 160058

Like how well just that one little moment perfectly represents his tenacity.
I'm waiting for someone to start a Smash Ultimate Ridley compilation vid that starts with his "smile at the camera" win pose at the same time the second phase music for this fight begins.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
I am still wondering since the game has mecha ridley why not have a classic purple ridley as an alt
There is already a classic Ridley color based on his NES appearance. If you just mean his non-NES purple appearances, his default color is probably the closest there is to it.

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
For those still waiting for confirmation on the "Cunning God of Death" Boxing Ring title in video format.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Something that some of us already knew by previous screen shots but it was still nice to see video footage of it.

Glad to hear that term was used by the dev team into the game.

:bowser:.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Definitely wouldn't happen but it'd be cool if they had a manga shot of Ridley for his image in the boxing arena next to CUNNING GOD OF DEATH like the one I have as my pfp lol

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Worst-case scenario, we can probably put in whatever Ridley/Ridley-related aesthetic mods we want.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
It’s always strange coming in here nowadays and barely seeing any activity from the Ridley thread. I always remembered it being so active it was like an unofficial second ‘social thread’ that just happened to be mostly composed of Ridley fans.

Not that I’m complaining of course. I’m just reminiscing on past times of when we were the top dogs in terms of replies and views, but eh, better to let the other character threads have their time in the sun while we bask in confirmation paradise.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
It’s always strange coming in here nowadays and barely seeing any activity from the Ridley thread. I always remembered it being so active it was like an unofficial second ‘social thread’ that just happened to be mostly composed of Ridley fans.

Not that I’m complaining of course. I’m just reminiscing on past times of when we were the top dogs in terms of replies and views, but eh, better to let the other character threads have their time in the sun while we bask in confirmation paradise.
xD I mean, this place was a lot more noisy and whatnot thanks to the speculation. Now Ridley's in, it can be taken easy. Maybe when the whole competitive stuff along with the "Ridley is OP" or "Bottom Tier" begins with the game's release, it may be more "alive" or something. There's also the posibility of anything related to Rids in Prime 4. I wish I could draw more but, I am still waiting for the motivation to come back. ;/

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend

This entire site is fairly dead :( I remember when the Link social had hundreds of replies; that was back during the Brawl era. A lot of gaming forums are nearly dead. People just aren't as interested in gaming anymore.

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
I know I'm probably late to this, but I just discovered this epic video
Its still weird to think "oh yeah we did it, Ridley in Smash" With K Rool and Dark Samus, I got everyone I really wanted. Also I said this a longggg time ago, but I stick to the idea of our eventually gameplay discussion thread be called "The Meta of Ridley" :ultridley: Just a few more months my fellow space pirates.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Definitely wouldn't happen but it'd be cool if they had a manga shot of Ridley for his image in the boxing arena next to CUNNING GOD OF DEATH like the one I have as my pfp lol
My hope, while low, would still be for 64 styled Classic clear screens. Can be straight up comic/manga style like Falcon's was.

Times change. Social media/stuff like Discord split the community, though I'm sure this place will get a kick once we get our hands on the final build/can accurately take/post information that isn't subject to change (until patches happen at least). The little stuff we can do in the meantime is more or less the same old stuff we've done all this time. Speculation on what Metroid music/stages/items/trophies are left to be revealed, what other color schemes Meta Ridley may have, what other development facts are waiting to be revealed (Ridley's standings in the ballot, whether we get confirmation on why Pyrosphere isn't returning, etc.) and so on.

I know most don't think about how lucky we are since it's more or less taken for granted by this point. But I'd much rather be breathing a nice long sigh of relief like Andrea said than be going through the nerve-racking process the rest of the unconfirmed/perceived "unlikely/impossible" characters are. Mostly since I'm an old hag that's tired of fighting after all this time, and anxious to actually get started on our next chapter already (I'm as good as dead to the world the moment release day or even an accessible demo happens).

Maybe when the whole competitive stuff along with the "Ridley is OP" or "Bottom Tier" begins with the game's release, it may be more "alive" or something. There's also the posibility of anything related to Rids in Prime 4. I wish I could draw more but, I am still waiting for the motivation to come back. ;/
It's not just competitive stuff I'd be looking forward to. Once we can do stuff like take screenshots, I know everyone will be going nuts with all the things we've waited years for. Bunny hood/tanuki tail/flower/Ramblin' Evil Mushroom head/Poison Mushroom Ridley holding a Banana Gun while fighting Giant Pichu on the fluffy clouds on a Yoshi level will be glorious.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
It's not just competitive stuff I'd be looking forward to. Once we can do stuff like take screenshots, I know everyone will be going nuts with all the things we've waited years for. Bunny hood/tanuki tail/flower/Ramblin' Evil Mushroom head/Poison Mushroom Ridley holding a Banana Gun while fighting Giant Pichu on the fluffy clouds on a Yoshi level will be glorious.
xD Good point there. Being able to see Ridley and Rosalina together will make me more than happy, of course! The silliness to enfold with those screenshots and gifs will be something to remember for years onward. I am gonna be sad that I will have to wait quite some time to be able to do that, but, oh well, the amiibo is just a great.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm kind of hoping the "too big" joke gets revived now that Ridley's in Smash. Just take a picture of Super Mushroom Kirby and Pichu standing next to normal-sized Ridley and put the caption "Too big for Smash".

The quote that was once the bane of our existence is now something we can all laugh about.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
This entire site is fairly dead :( I remember when the Link social had hundreds of replies; that was back during the Brawl era. A lot of gaming forums are nearly dead. People just aren't as interested in gaming anymore.
I think the mods are little to strict on the general thread forcing a lot of topics to be posted in the official thread instead of a unique thread. There missing the point, a thread is 10 times more efficient then just posting in the ultimate thread which the question will prob get buried. ( no offense to mods constructive crit)

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
It's not that interest in gaming has gone down. On the contrary, gaming has never been more popular.

It's that people's attention spans have gone down. Reddit and Discord are the new hubs for community, not forums. Forums are for longer posts and discussions where everyone's word has equal weight and display without any filtering, requiring more time and attention to participate.

Reddit filters content by votes and recency, so less popular content gets buried, and thus users can access the popular stuff more conveniently. Comments can be posted without needing to reply or pay attention to anyone except the OP. Discord is just a chatroom where messages are generally short and brief, and they just come in a stream that allows people to jump in at any point and say anything. Cohesive conversations aren't easy in a crowded server.

In both cases, you can't make posts like I'm doing right now. On Reddit, it would get buried beneath the older, upvoted posts, and eventually the thread would be buried anyways. On Discord, people would just look over my post because it's long, and go back to simple chatting.

Also, forums aren't very conducive for phones. Discord and Reddit are. I know I wouldn't want to be typing all this on a small touchscreen.

A few years ago I used to be on the Metroid Database forums a lot. It wasn't very active, but a handful of users and myself managed to have some fun discussions and interact with each other. Then when they renovated the site, they shut the forums down, and there's still no ETA on when they'll fix it. But, they started a Discord server, and seem to consider that a replacement for the forums right now, when it's not the same thing. The interactions aren't what they used to be. I realized how little the people who run the site cared for the forums when they didn't even have it up before E3, when we all assumed we'd see Metroid Prime 4. Luckily for them, we didn't get anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just shut them down wholesale and stick with Discord, since it's free and requires less maintenance.

Compared to many forums, such as MDb, this site is much more active. And while I only joined a couple months ago, I can assume the lull in activity since Brawl to be due to two major factors:

1. Smash 4 came out during a time when Nintendo was the least popular they've ever been, with the Wii U living in the shadows of the PS4 and Xbox One, and in the middle of the years-long period where they were marketing to casual audiences, as opposed to the hardcore fans that would be on forums. Smash 4 wasn't as popular as Brawl, thus whatever activity it brought was proportionate. Brawl sold almost 14 million copies, Smash Wii U barely sold over 5 million.

2. It's been a while since Smash 4, and Ultimate is generating unprecedented hype, but it's not out yet. Right now, we're all just discussing our excitement, and only getting into concrete discussions on the rare occasion we get new information. We've only had two Directs and some gameplay here and there to sink our teeth into, and nothing else. Once the game is out, we can have more tangible discussions, and this place will be bustling. I expect Ultimate will sell over 10 million units in its lifetime, so there will probably be even more activity than there was for Smash 4, provided people opt for forums instead of Discord and Reddit.

I'm kind of hoping the "too big" joke gets revived now that Ridley's in Smash. Just take a picture of Super Mushroom Kirby and Pichu standing next to normal-sized Ridley and put the caption "Too big for Smash".

The quote that was once the bane of our existence is now something we can all laugh about.
What's ironic is that the "too big" meme was taken out of context. The full extent of what Sakurai was saying was "This character is a large boss in the games, able to pick up Samus and toss her around and do huge amounts of damage, so how do we size the character down and retain that essence?" When Sakurai said "It wouldn't be Ridley anymore," he means in the sense that if Ridley was just a reskinned Charizard, it would be Ridley about as much as Dark Samus is Dark Samus as an Echo Fighter. That is to say, it's better than nothing, but not doing the character real justice.

That's why Ridley as we've seen him is so impressive. Sakurai overcame that hurdle and made the character smaller, but still Ridley. The awesome grab move, the tail attacks, the design. It's all perfectly done. The character looks and feels like Ridley, but isn't too powerful as to be unfair.

But people watered down what he said to the "too big" meme and lost what the actual argument was. It wasn't about size as much as it was making the character balanced while still being faithful.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It's not that interest in gaming has gone down. On the contrary, gaming has never been more popular.

It's that people's attention spans have gone down. Reddit and Discord are the new hubs for community, not forums. Forums are for longer posts and discussions where everyone's word has equal weight and display without any filtering, requiring more time and attention to participate.

Reddit filters content by votes and recency, so less popular content gets buried, and thus users can access the popular stuff more conveniently. Comments can be posted without needing to reply or pay attention to anyone except the OP. Discord is just a chatroom where messages are generally short and brief, and they just come in a stream that allows people to jump in at any point and say anything. Cohesive conversations aren't easy in a crowded server.

In both cases, you can't make posts like I'm doing right now. On Reddit, it would get buried beneath the older, upvoted posts, and eventually the thread would be buried anyways. On Discord, people would just look over my post because it's long, and go back to simple chatting.

Also, forums aren't very conducive for phones. Discord and Reddit are. I know I wouldn't want to be typing all this on a small touchscreen.

A few years ago I used to be on the Metroid Database forums a lot. It wasn't very active, but a handful of users and myself managed to have some fun discussions and interact with each other. Then when they renovated the site, they shut the forums down, and there's still no ETA on when they'll fix it. But, they started a Discord server, and seem to consider that a replacement for the forums right now, when it's not the same thing. The interactions aren't what they used to be. I realized how little the people who run the site cared for the forums when they didn't even have it up before E3, when we all assumed we'd see Metroid Prime 4. Luckily for them, we didn't get anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just shut them down wholesale and stick with Discord, since it's free and requires less maintenance.

Compared to many forums, such as MDb, this site is much more active. And while I only joined a couple months ago, I can assume the lull in activity since Brawl to be due to two major factors:

1. Smash 4 came out during a time when Nintendo was the least popular they've ever been, with the Wii U living in the shadows of the PS4 and Xbox One, and in the middle of the years-long period where they were marketing to casual audiences, as opposed to the hardcore fans that would be on forums. Smash 4 wasn't as popular as Brawl, thus whatever activity it brought was proportionate. Brawl sold almost 14 million copies, Smash Wii U barely sold over 5 million.

2. It's been a while since Smash 4, and Ultimate is generating unprecedented hype, but it's not out yet. Right now, we're all just discussing our excitement, and only getting into concrete discussions on the rare occasion we get new information. We've only had two Directs and some gameplay here and there to sink our teeth into, and nothing else. Once the game is out, we can have more tangible discussions, and this place will be bustling. I expect Ultimate will sell over 10 million units in its lifetime, so there will probably be even more activity than there was for Smash 4, provided people opt for forums instead of Discord and Reddit.

What's ironic is that the "too big" meme was taken out of context. The full extent of what Sakurai was saying was "This character is a large boss in the games, able to pick up Samus and toss her around and do huge amounts of damage, so how do we size the character down and retain that essence?" When Sakurai said "It wouldn't be Ridley anymore," he means in the sense that if Ridley was just a reskinned Charizard, it would be Ridley about as much as Dark Samus is Dark Samus as an Echo Fighter. That is to say, it's better than nothing, but not doing the character real justice.

That's why Ridley as we've seen him is so impressive. Sakurai overcame that hurdle and made the character smaller, but still Ridley. The awesome grab move, the tail attacks, the design. It's all perfectly done. The character looks and feels like Ridley, but isn't too powerful as to be unfair.

But people watered down what he said to the "too big" meme and lost what the actual argument was. It wasn't about size as much as it was making the character balanced while still being faithful.
You bring up a lot of great points, and it makes me a bit sad that forums are making way for chats and social media, it feels inevitable that eventually it'll be a relic of the past. I've spent so much time on various forums ever since I first acquired an internet connection at all, for me it's just a much better platform to discuss things as I can take my time and not have to rush myself to be part of a conversation, since English isn't my first language it can be a challenge to be part of a natural conversation without being misunderstood or using poor grammar, so I never quite feel confident on Discord and the like. Forums also allow me to write long posts for when I really have a lot on my mind, I obviously haven't done that a lot since Ridley got confirmed as he's always been my main point of discussion on this site, but I felt like I got a lot out of it during the Smash 4 days, even if it was fruitless at the end.

I do use Reddit too, a lot even, but since I'm European I miss a lot of the more interesting discussions as they happen while I sleep, and by the time I wake up the thread is more or less done and dusted. It's also something I mostly just use for throwaway thoughts and banter, it's a horrible place for more insightful posts, and I really dislike the karma system overall as I feel that it discourages healthy discussions.

Not all forums are slowing down of course, Resetera is always booming because of how it's relevant for pretty much the entire gaming community, and while Smashboards isn't quite as active as it used to be it's still a very healthy community. How long it'll last post-release is a concern, but I'm not sure how long I'll be here after that anyways, although I want to do everything I can to learn as much about Ridley and be as good with him as possible speculation has of course always been the main draw for me, so this is more of a comment about the overall state of forums.

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
And even then people got upset that they were proved wrong after so many years of throwing crap to fans of the character. Needless to say, tough luck. It was about damn time we got a well deserved vindication.

StormC

Smash Hero
I said I was done with Smash speculation after Smash 4, but I didn’t think we would be getting a new Smash game 3 years after DLC ended either.

I also did not expect said game to have both Ridley and K. Rool in it. I really don’t see how a Smash 6 can hold my attention like before. I’ll be well into my 30s and all my long term requests have been fulfilled. Perhaps this is the moment for us older speculators to pass the torch to the next generation.

My recent interest in Banjo is largely a result of needing a highly demanded character to be personally invested in Smash speculation. Harder to get excited about the race if you don't have a horse in it. If Banjo gets announced next I might as well shut off all social media and go into hibernation until December.

Last edited:

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I said I was done with Smash speculation after Smash 4, but I didn’t think we would be getting a new Smash game 3 years after DLC ended either.

I also did not expect said game to have both Ridley and K. Rool in it. I really don’t see how a Smash 6 can hold my attention like before. I’ll be well into my 30s and all my long term requests have been fulfilled. Perhaps this is the moment for us older speculators to pass the torch to the next generation.

My recent interest in Banjo is largely a result of needing a highly demanded character to be personally invested in Smash speculation. Harder to get excited about the race if you don't have a horse in it. If Banjo gets announced next I might as well shut off all social media and go into hibernation until December.
I am going to be 30 this year and don't intend to stop speculating anytime soon :p

Top Bottom