• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
On an unrelated note, looks like whoever censored that green mode in the main menu didn't do a very good job. The text at the bottom just barely reads "Spirits."

Wonder what in the world that could mean.

I'm still betting that it's not an SSE style mode like so many people are expecting. But it's not called Adventure Mode, either. So it's a whole new thing. Hopefully it's single-player/co-op, though, because Smash 4's single player stuff sucked.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
It has finally come true. The dream has finally come true. Today is a great day for both Space Pirates and Kutthroats alike! It truly is surreal.
xD That reminds me of the old days of 2014 when I draw a bunch of Space Pirates from various games cheering for Rids and he was all embarrassed. And I even wrote down a silly idea of how they got there (in the Boxing Ring now that it exists, at least 3 of them).

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
My predictions, based on a couple criteria:

A) They have to be about as notable as Inklings, Ridley, Simon, and King K. Rool
B) They have to be long-standing requests, like Ridley, K. Rool, and Simon
C) They have to be reasonable; no anime or absurd 3rd party characters
D) Can't have strong evidence against them
E) Can't have been realized after the project plan was finished (December 2015)

In other words, they need to be characters that really "wow" people. Everyone's going nuts for Simon and K. Rool, and even Chrom and Dark Samus. If it's just a character that only a small, isolated demographic would be hype about, it's probably not happening. A lot of people don't seem to realize this adn are acting like this is a regular Smash game, when it's instead something special (the Japanese subtitle is "Special" as well), as all these huge and requested characters are getting in. Not ones like Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt, and Pit.

Of course, this means that character reveals won't be too surprising. The most surprising ones were Ridley and Dark Samus, with the former being said to be impossible in the past, and the latter just not being very popular or relevant right now. But we were all waiting for Simon, K. Rool, and Chrom. People expected those. This isn't about defying expectations, it's about satisfying demand.

Newcomers:
  1. Geno - Haven't played Super Mario RPG yet, don't understand the hype, but I've been hearing people want this guy since Melee. Sakurai's already discussed possibly adding him twice, and he was a Mii Costume in 4, so Sakurai has to know of the demand. Ashley was, too, but I'm assuming that Ashley just doesn't have a whole lot of moveset potential, hence her snub today.
  2. Skull Kid - Assist Trophy still MIA, and now we have a Moon one. Meant to replace the Skull Kid AT? Maybe. Skull Kid is the most notable villain in Zelda after Ganondorf, and he's also been requested quite a lot. Much like Metroid, Zelda hasn't really had a new rep since arguably Melee, but definitely not since Brawl. Meanwhile Fire Emblem got three in one game and got another today. Part of the problem is that there's been so many additional Zelda characters that have appeared over the years, so it's hard to pick just one. Skull Kid, though, seems to have stood the test of time (hah), so he's the most likely Zelda character we can expect.
  3. Sora - In the same boat as Cloud, in terms of "Square Enix RPG character that has a rabid fanbase that will die for him." Probably not as requested as Cloud, but has to be pretty close. Many Kingdom Hearts games were exclusive to Nintendo platforms as well, meaning there's some concrete ties to Nintendo that even Cloud didn't have. If we don't get Geno, I expect this.
  4. Banjo & Kazooie - Microsoft seems completely on board, it's a character more associated with the N64 than anything else, and they've also been requested for a long time. If Sakurai wanted to put them in the game, there wouldn't be anything more in the way than any other third party.
Echo Fighters:
  1. Shadow the Hedgehog - Sonic characters are always popular, and Shadow more than most. Unfortunately, he probably won't wield an MP5 to gun down aliens in this game. Maybe he can borrow Wario's motorcycle Side-B /s
  2. Isabelle - One of Vergeben's leaks, and he's been right about everything so far. Plus, there's a lot of support for Isabelle, as she apparently really took off in popularity after New Leaf. Her Assist Trophy is also still missing, just like Dark Samus and Skull Kid. Hm...
  3. Dixie Kong - Her possibility as an Echo Fighter seemed super unlikely, given that Diddy Kong's Up-B would not fit her character. However, now that we know that Echo Fighters can borrow moves from other characters, as with Chrom having Ike's Up-B, Dixie could maybe borrow someone else's Up-B functionality and have her ponytail animation. Duck Hunt would be a good candidate, I think. But that would cross another line, so who knows. In addition, this would mean that DK and Metroid, two of Nintendo's longest-running franchises that have gotten neglected in Smash for so long, will get both their major requested characters and some Echo Fighters of also requested characters. It'd be pretty poetic.
  4. Ken/Akuma - Akuma made a guest appearance in Tekken 7, so anything's possible. Ken is equally possible, though maybe not as noteworthy for inclusion. I wasn't too sure about 3rd party Echo Fighters (besides Shadow because he's Shadow), but we got freaking Richter, so I think this is definitely possible.
Things I'm predicting won't happen, not because I don't want them in the game or think they don't belong, but because they're just super unlikely to make the cut compared to everything else we've seen:
  1. Octolings - I said above that I didn't think they'd happen, and I was right. They're just not distinct enough to warrant an extra slot, even as an Echo Fighter. Plus, Ultimate's project plan was finished in December 2015, and Octolings are only notable now because of the expansion that came out less than two months ago. Kind of surprised so many people thought they were definitely going to happen.
  2. Rayman - While Nintendo has a very healthy relationship with Ubisoft right now, I don't see Rayman being notable enough to stand beside the likes of Cloud and Simon.
  3. Bandana Waddle Dee - Same as Rayman, just not notable enough to "wow" people. A lot of Kirby fans are almost completely sure that he's in the game, but that's pretty unreasonable. I'd love to see him, I just don't think it's happening anytime soon.
  4. Impa - People are saying Sheik Echo Fighter, but that seems redundant. The character's most notable appearance is in Hyrule Warriors, where she wields a giant sword. Is her appearance in Ocarina of Time enough to make it in? I don't think so.
  5. Another Fire Emblem Character - We got Chrom, that puts us at seven characters. That's one more than Legend of Zelda, and one less than Mario. I think Sakurai knows by now that adding any more would be absurd. But Chrom was important, and people still wanted him, so here we are.
  6. ARMS character/Spring Man - ARMS is a cool new franchise from Nintendo, but not groundbreaking like Splatoon was. It sold well, but Splatoon is another caliber. Again, the project plan was finished in 2015, a year and a half before ARMS released, so it's unlikely Sakurai would've banked on it that far ahead.
  7. Solaire - Again, the project plan. Dark Souls 3 wasn't even out when it was completed, so there was probably no plan for the Remastered version, let alone that it'd come to Switch. Heck, it still isn't on Switch because it got delayed indefinitely.
  8. Rex & Pyra - Project plan, project plan. Game came out late 2017, almost two years after the game started development. It's insane to think that they'd include a character from a game that far out.
  9. Breath of the Wild Champions - Not only are they after 2015, but there's four of them--how do you choose which one? And they aren't very notable within the game, either. Story and characters weren't BotW's strongsuits. Plus, each of them only has one noteworthy ability and weapon, which is pretty limiting.
  10. Literally any character after 2015
  11. Chibi-Robo - *sigh* I got Dark Samus. I'm counting my blessings. I didn't think either of them would ever happen to begin with. But I got one. That's more than most people can say.
Loz a credable leaker said his source has hinted on skull kid being playable so you might be on to something.

also anyone notice meta ridley made an appearance in the dark samus trailer

UltimateWario

Smash Master
On an unrelated note, looks like whoever censored that green mode in the main menu didn't do a very good job. The text at the bottom just barely reads "Spirits."

Wonder what in the world that could mean.

I'm still betting that it's not an SSE style mode like so many people are expecting. But it's not called Adventure Mode, either. So it's a whole new thing. Hopefully it's single-player/co-op, though, because Smash 4's single player stuff sucked.
People saying “HOLY **** SUBSPACE 2 CONFIRMED!!!!!!” are setting themselves up for massive disappointment. I do think it’s something important, since it wouldn’t have been teased otherwise, but with the sheer amount of content in this game and how big a deal Sakurai is making of how much work it’s taking, expecting story mode seems absolutely ludicrous.

The name “spirits” also doesn’t exactly sound like an exciting new single player mode. It sounds more along the lines or “masterpieces” or “chronicle”.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I don't think it's Subspace.

But I do think it involves awesome Boss Fights, Dracula and Rathalos are way to involved to be less, they even have their own boss arenas.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
I don't think it's Subspace.

But I do think it involves awesome Boss Fights, Dracula and Rathalos are way to involved to be less, they even have their own boss arenas.
Those characters are part of the Castlevania stage.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
People saying “HOLY **** SUBSPACE 2 CONFIRMED!!!!!!” are setting themselves up for massive disappointment. I do think it’s something important, since it wouldn’t have been teased otherwise, but with the sheer amount of content in this game and how big a deal Sakurai is making of how much work it’s taking, expecting story mode seems absolutely ludicrous.

The name “spirits” also doesn’t exactly sound like an exciting new single player mode. It sounds more along the lines or “masterpieces” or “chronicle”.
I'm worried that there's going to be a bunch of backlash when it isn't SSE 2. Most of the people who are expecting that are people who don't understand the behind the scenes nature of these games and why SSE 2 would be absurd. I told my brother back when this game was announced in March "The only people who weren't super surprised about that announcement were the people who don't know why they should be surprised," referring to the fact that Smash games take a significant amount of time and effort as opposed to the average game. There was some big sports star asking Nintendo "Where's Smash" earlier this year or something, like he was asking for the next Mortal Kombat. Not that other games don't take a lot of time and effort, but Smash is different in some key ways, thanks to Sakurai.

Smash 4 spent their CG and creative budget on the character introduction cutscenes, which is what we're seeing again here. People think that they're actually evidence that there will be a new story mode, but again, they don't understand. They're not going to spend all this time and money on these amazing cutscenes for the Directs if they're just going to do the same thing in the game itself.

I do think we'll get something cool, though. "Spirits" is an odd name that has to be something unique. The connotation it has for me is "spirits of the past," which makes me think it might be some kind of advanced All-Star mode. Instead of just fighting the different characters, maybe you fight through those characters' games, à la Adventure Mode from Melee? That's really the most I think we can expect.

Last edited:

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Yeah an Adventure Mode thing is probably what it's going to be. And I'd be super down for that.

Maybe you have to resurrect the spirits of the other characters by playing through their worlds or something.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Those characters are part of the Castlevania stage.
Only Dracula

And the way he was presented, and they mystery they're having with him. And so of the footage seems to take place in a different arena. Sounds to me his both. Similar to how Rathalos is a boss and assist trophy.

And I think they're a boss first, hazard second. They seem more involved like the Brawl bosses.

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
I'd just like to interject to say how much I appreciate the way bosses are in this game. Mainly the fact that they can be turned off, but also that there seems to be a lot more thought placed into Dracula than say, the Yellow Devil did.

IronTed

Smash Ace
As far as "Spirits" is concerned, a really simple take is that it could be a mode where you can unlock characters (SSE was like this as well). Obviously not the only way, but a way nonetheless.

It could also be Smash Run 2. Or Smash Tour 2. Hopefully not the latter.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm just happy that Ridley got announced before the fact that regular bosses are in the game was, god forbid I'd have to listen to anymore 'playable bosses' ideas about Ridley.

I really don't see it being another SSE, this game is already absurd in scale as is, and the Switch cartridge is also fairly limiting in that regard, but at the same time I don't see it being a Melee Adventure Mode, there's no point in branding it a new term otherwise. I think it's going to be some sort of Adventure Mode, but in a new format, maybe something like The Great Maze where you run around and unlock characters, although I'm not too sure how bosses would tie into that or what motivation you'd have to play the mode once you've unlocked all characters.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Yes, I do think that if Melee’s Adventure Mode were returning, it would’ve been shown off already, which is a shame. But if Spirits is the Mode through which we unlock characters, it’ll probably be made for high replayability, so maybe it’ll accomplish the same thing.

IronTed

Smash Ace
I'm just happy that Ridley got announced before the fact that regular bosses are in the game was, god forbid I'd have to listen to anymore 'playable bosses' ideas about Ridley.

I really don't see it being another SSE, this game is already absurd in scale as is, and the Switch cartridge is also fairly limiting in that regard, but at the same time I don't see it being a Melee Adventure Mode, there's no point in branding it a new term otherwise. I think it's going to be some sort of Adventure Mode, but in a new format, maybe something like The Great Maze where you run around and unlock characters, although I'm not too sure how bosses would tie into that or what motivation you'd have to play the mode once you've unlocked all characters.
I've seen that as a prediction quite often, and it could very well be true. Something with substance and replayability that doesn't require a ton of resources to put together. Or perhaps it serves as a part of the mode, or a part of its inspiration.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Glad to see Metroid having a nice representation with Dark Samus being added to the mix. Villains are just stealing the spotlight now and I APPROVE.

:bowser:.

AndreaAC

Glad to see Metroid having a nice representation with Dark Samus being added to the mix. Villains are just stealing the spotlight now and I APPROVE.

:D WHILE THEY CAUSE A LOT OF MURDERS! So much to the point that you can summarize all of the recent Smash trailers with:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
So, dumb idea I had for a lighthearted story mode; Ridley's role would be trying to find work as a mercenary but he can never keep his job.
He starts out under Dark Samus trying to take over the universe, she somehow gets taken out. Then he joins the big villain teamup plotting multiversal conquest and acts as a serious reoccurring threat before the organization inevitably implodes and the villains get scattered. By story's end he's working for K. Rool whose ultimate goal is terrorizing some monkeys on some random island, and Ridley realizes just how far he's fallen.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Only Dracula

And the way he was presented, and they mystery they're having with him. And so of the footage seems to take place in a different arena. Sounds to me his both. Similar to how Rathalos is a boss and assist trophy.

And I think they're a boss first, hazard second. They seem more involved like the Brawl bosses.
The Direct shows other monsters also appearing on the stage. It just looks like a big stage like Great Cave Offensive with different areas that have monsters.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
The Direct shows other monsters also appearing on the stage. It just looks like a big stage like Great Cave Offensive with different areas that have monsters.
Hmm maybe, but I lean towards that Dracula has a separate arena for a proper boss fight like from the Subspace Emissary and just show up in the area we've seen when he's a hazard. They're keeping him a mystery, that's for sure though

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Hmm maybe, but I lean towards that Dracula has a separate arena for a proper boss fight like from the Subspace Emissary and just show up in the area we've seen when he's a hazard. They're keeping him a mystery, that's for sure though
I mean that could be possible, but from what we've been shown, he's just a "boss enemy" on the big Dracula's Castle stage.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I'd say Sylux, but for now I want to wait and see how they're portrayed in MP4 before fully jumping on the Sylux support train.

I'm personally satisfied with Metroid representation as is, though.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'd say Sylux, but for now I want to wait and see how they're portrayed in MP4 before fully jumping on the Sylux support train.

I'm personally satisfied with Metroid representation as is, though.
Gotta agree here, as is Sylux isn't really worth including until he's had his big appearance imo, and even then we'll have to see if he's going to be a reoccuring villain in the future or if he's done after Prime 4. I'm perfectly okay with people supporting him, but for me personally I don't want as many Metroid characters as possible just for the sake of it, I just want its representation to be fair and a good presentation of what the series is all about, and I think the current crop achieve that perfectly.

That doesn't mean I oppose his inclusion of course, but we got two Metroid newcomers already, so for the moment let's just appreciate that.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
I find it hilarious how some people have a line to not cross when it comes to over representation. Not saying others are but some are and want more characters even when a series is well represented as they are. Metroid as fine as is and I am more than ok with how well it is now. I mean, getting Dark Samus after our leader is amazing. That is too much love. Maybe one day, Silux could be considered, depending on the future, but for now, the series is fine.

Kraid could be funny but that is just for trolling, hehe~

OmegaX5000

Smash Journeyman
Gotta agree here, as is Sylux isn't really worth including until he's had his big appearance imo, and even then we'll have to see if he's going to be a reoccuring villain in the future or if he's done after Prime 4. I'm perfectly okay with people supporting him, but for me personally I don't want as many Metroid characters as possible just for the sake of it, I just want its representation to be fair and a good presentation of what the series is all about, and I think the current crop achieve that perfectly.

That doesn't mean I oppose his inclusion of course, but we got two Metroid newcomers already, so for the moment let's just appreciate that.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. Until Prime 4 comes out, Sylux is just kind of....there existing. He's currently one of the least fleshed out recurring characters in the Metroid series (so far...I think, I might be wrong), and depending on how Prime 4 handles him, may be a key factor on whether people like/dislike him, which could either help or hinder his chances of getting in as either DLC for Ultimate or part of the base roster for the eventual Smash 6.

IronTed

Smash Ace
Honestly, in terms of recurring Metroid characters not in Smash at any capacity (unless you count trophies), we have
  1. Adam. And consider his first appearance is only as an AI.
  2. Sylux, who's only recurring due to two cameos in Prime 3 and FF respectively.
  3. Phantoon. Honestly I'm only listing it for discussion's sake.
Honestly you could say Old Bird appeared in ZM and the manga, but that's still only one game and literally no one cares about Old Bird anyway.

We have officially reached the bottom of what was a very empty barrel to begin with.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Yeah, at this point I'm pulling for Metroid Assist Trophies.
Still want a Space Pirates Assist Trophy to act as backup for Ridley.

AndreaAC

Yeah, at this point I'm pulling for Metroid Assist Trophies.
Still want a Space Pirates Assist Trophy to act as backup for Ridley.
xD I think an idea came to my head considering I love to think that a few Pirates are pretty silly and funny, to Ridley's misfortune (as if Roidley wasn't enough)!

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
xD I think an idea came to my head considering I love to think that a few Pirates are pretty silly and funny, to Ridley's misfortune (as if Roidley wasn't enough)!
The idea I had for them is they would act similarly to the Waddle Dee army, except they would also crash their ships into fighters on arrival and give their summoner items.

AndreaAC

The idea I had for them is they would act similarly to the Waddle Dee army, except they would also crash their ships into fighters on arrival and give their summoner items.
xD Them going all Kamikaze is pretty fitting. I imagined something with one of those Ninja Pirates...it would be like how Hitmonlee gave a flying kick.

OmegaX5000

Smash Journeyman
A nice detail that I'd like is if one player summoned a Space Pirate via assist trophy, but the pirate can betray their summoner if the other player is using Ridley.

OmegaX5000

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone else noticed that during Dark Samus' trailer, both Mother Brain AND the Metroid assist trophies were active at the same time? Unless this is for a specific event match where Samus has to defeat all of her enemies, this means that more than one Assist Trophy can be active at the same time now!

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Has anyone else noticed that during Dark Samus' trailer, both Mother Brain AND the Metroid assist trophies were active at the same time? Unless this is for a specific event match where Samus has to defeat all of her enemies, this means that more than one Assist Trophy can be active at the same time now!
This has been known for a while, E3 had multiple assist trophies dropping (2 max I think)

I enjoyed that part of her reveal, nice collection of Metroid enemies, shame it wasn't on Brinstar Depths

Top Bottom