• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I'm still on team doubt until I see Ridley in the game, so this changes nothing.

But Steve? Really? I guess I could handle it because there's absolutely no denying how iconic Minecraft is, but ugh. Would definitely prefer a stage over a character. Minecraft would make an awesome stage.

https://smashboards.com/threads/sup...wn-to-e3-e3-e3.434391/page-1269#post-22084972

This is a update to the leak

I'm actually okay with Steve I just said bad news because I notice a lot of people hate the idea.
Wait - that post definitely doesn't say playable character, it just says Minecraft 'in some way.' What? But what is this about Snake? I thought the only fake leak that said Snake was that image one. Or are the images also connected to vergeben?

This is the other reason I don't put too much stock in leaks. Too confusing to keep straight, and each are just wishy-washy enough that you can shoehorn things in (like with the Lazzyman one and the awesome new Pokémon thing)

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
https://smashboards.com/threads/sup...wn-to-e3-e3-e3.434391/page-1269#post-22084972

I'm actually okay with Steve I just said bad news because I notice a lot of people hate the idea.
you know what other character a lot of people hates? starts with R and ends with "TOO BIG WOULD RUIN SMASH". does that means that mr.R is bad news? :S

dunno, he claims multiple sources... there is a good chance that only one part of this leak comes to fruition (if any), but as many have stated, he isnt saying that "steve" is in.

Still... frankly i never wanted pacman mostly due to visual style and i tuough the character would be boring as hell... but sakurai managed to actually create a great looking unique quirky fighter...im sure that he could be able to do something similar with steve/alex.

plus... say what you want about not liking MC graphics or looks... nothing will be more jarring that the god awful pac land stage.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
wait wow what did he say about Snake?

And about Minecraft? Honestly I wouldn't be opposed. Minecraft is such a huge game with so much prominence on Nintendo consoles that at least some kind of representation actually makes sense? Maybe not say playable Steve, but I'd actually be down for a stage

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Minecraft makes a hell of a lot more sense than Banjo Kazooie and would bring in a large audience
Well actually since the leak only seems to indicate non playable appearance for Minecraft it actually helps B&K since Nintendo is working with Microsoft for that content and I'll just have to disagree about which one makes more sense.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Well actually since the leak only seems to indicate non playable appearance for Minecraft it actually helps B&K since Nintendo is working with Microsoft for that content and I'll just have to disagree about which one makes more sense.
It's not really a matter of opinion, it's about which one has fans who'd overlap. Every Banjo fan is already getting Smash so from a business perspective it makes little to no sense. Also I forgot this was the Ridley thread and not the speculation thread, whoops

Nameless Kot

Smash Apprentice
It actually makes sense but seems to good to be true. I actually dont care who they add as long as Ridley is playable (excepto for the likes of Spiderman, goku, shrek etc) but a close second is Banjo Kazooie. Imagine they Chrom'd Steve with Banjo Kazooie!

One winged Devil

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4499-5767-3965
It actually makes sense but seems to good to be true. I actually dont care who they add as long as Ridley is playable (excepto for the likes of Spiderman, goku, shrek etc) but a close second is Banjo Kazooie. Imagine they Chrom'd Steve with Banjo Kazooie!
Spiderman would make more sense than Goku if i'm being honest.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
As if Minecraft fans are unaware of Smash Bros
Minecraft is the second best selling game of all time, only behind Tetris.

So, yes, several people who play Minecraft are probably unaware that Smash Bros. even exists. Namely, the crowd that stays exclusively on PS4, Xbox, and PC.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Minecraft is the second best selling game of all time, only behind Tetris.

So, yes, several people who play Minecraft are probably unaware that Smash Bros. even exists. Namely, the crowd that stays exclusively on PS4, Xbox, and PC.
Highly doubtful. Even if they haven't played it, they've more than likely heard of it. Smash has become one of the biggest names in the industry. I also doubt Steve would bring them to Smash. If you play Minecraft it isn't for Steve, so why is his character coming to Smash making them interested in playing all the sudden? Bad choice imo, but I'm off topic

One winged Devil

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4499-5767-3965
Highly doubtful. Even if they haven't played it, they've more than likely heard of it. Smash has become one of the biggest names in the industry. I also doubt Steve would bring them to Smash. If you play Minecraft it isn't for Steve, so why is his character coming to Smash making them interested in playing all the sudden? Bad choice imo, but I'm off topic
Too much generalizing there bro.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

It doesn't specifically say Steve anything, and just says "maybe" to the whole thing. He doesn't seem sure it'll have a character, though idk why it wouldn't.

Hoping this is like the time he said Goku Black was DLC and Raditz was in FighterZ, not the time he called Base Goku/Vegeta.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Not my argument but whatever helps you sleep at night
What would be the point then?
Minecraft makes a hell of a lot more sense than Banjo Kazooie and would bring in a large audience
Then why do you think this audience coming all of the sudden, because of representation? Like they were holding out because no Minecraft was involved?

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Here’s the link to that: https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/414524048/

Like I said, anything “proving” that leak false is splitting hairs at best. There’s been nothing to debunk it at all. And honestly, the fact that this leaker and Lazzyman has such similar info is all the more reason to give it credibility. As for Lazzyman saying he lied...that never happened. Somebody posted, claiming to be a Lazzyman alt, claiming it was all a lie. Anyone could have done that.

Additionally, since the leak mentions that there will be a Ridley tease (for Prime 4, not Smash), it stands to reason that this leaker would have known if Ridley would be playable. Look, I want the Vergeben/Emily Rogers/Picture Hints stuff to be true too. But those have no true predictions as of yet, and Lazzyman’s is stacking multiple true predictions at this point.

Doubting the Lazzyman leak at this point feels like people who tried to find reasons to doubt the ROB Roster Leak during Brawl, and the Gematsu like during Smash 4.
he provided proof in pms that he was lazzyman that admitted he was fake i believe

Also saying he said steve is in is misleading he said a stage or assist which is what I read. I would be fine with that but a playable character blah

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
What would be the point then?

Then why do you think this audience coming all of the sudden, because of representation? Like they were holding out because no Minecraft was involved?
There are more people who've played Minecraft, meaning Minecraft's fanbase doesn't overlap with Smash. It also took a while for Minecraft to get on Nintendo systems.

It can be a final push to convince kids yeah. Hell, when I was a kid I didn't really care about Smash because Sonic wasn't in. Then Brawl had Sonic and I suddenly cared. Same can easily happen with loads of other kids

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Talking about Vergeben, apparently he was the one to break out the Star Fox Grand Prix rumor as well? I did not know that. In any case, that doesn't mean much because both Ridley and Star Fox would be revealed at E3, but I guess he has more in his plate that I thought he had

also, about Lazzyman (both him and the "original" from 4chan): if getting details on Switch Online wrong and saying Pokémon was a E3 reveal wasn't enough to debunk it, I guess completely getting every single detail from Team Sonic Racing wrong (down to its title) should be enough to debunk it

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The whole Minecraft discussion is completely irrelevant as we do not know whether it's coming from any of his three Ridley sources, it could be completely wrong and Ridley is still in, or Ridley isn't in but Minecraft is still represented. Vergeben is up to 4 or 5 different sources in regards to Smash, at least as far as we know, it's getting a bit messy, and with his patchy track record it's not exactly encouraging.

Also, a friendly reminder that something being considered unlikely isn't enough to raise serious question marks over a leak, as both Brawl and Smash 4 leaks should have taught people. If we ignore any and all leaks then I'd argue that Ridley is just as unlikely as Minecraft representation in any form.

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
reading through 2 whole pages i give my two cents to some things,
so about vergeben and the cash/spyro leak, i think it rly doesnt mean AS MUCH as it should, given that the whole deal is shady, some information seems to be true, other info seems to be wrong, the leak is about 2/3 true or something, so realy i can see many possible things for smash, and yes even that we get both leaks together, i mean it would make sens ejust for what nintendo has to show us regarding trailers and so on.
they can easily promote metroid with ridley ( and sylax...)
crash with crash spyro with spyro, and the best part with those two is, if smash gets those, the chances that ppl buy their games preferd on switch is higher then on other consoles
tresure tracker with toad, simon as a classic and so on
it does make sense

as a little about pokemon, this game rly does seem like a tech demo that they had early and said, lets make this a game and sell it, the only thing that is absolutely beyond me is that the COOP is Local only, that is legit dumb, like wtf?
i think we have to see how this game is and how it feels to play,
as for it influencing leaks and rumors,

i think it does make a difference, because it sounded so outlandish that other rumors look kinda credible now

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Fake or not Ridley will still have a chance for some reasons

1 promote metroid prime 4 or Samus returns

2 the amount of votes in the ballot since Ridley is easily in the top 10 despite what sakurai said

3 Ridley could get the villager scenario for smash which is change of heart for this case looks scary no matter how big he is and figure out something with his flying

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I'm still on team doubt until I see Ridley in the game, so this changes nothing.

But Steve? Really? I guess I could handle it because there's absolutely no denying how iconic Minecraft is, but ugh. Would definitely prefer a stage over a character. Minecraft would make an awesome stage.

Wait - that post definitely doesn't say playable character, it just says Minecraft 'in some way.' What? But what is this about Snake? I thought the only fake leak that said Snake was that image one. Or are the images also connected to vergeben?

This is the other reason I don't put too much stock in leaks. Too confusing to keep straight, and each are just wishy-washy enough that you can shoehorn things in (like with the Lazzyman one and the awesome new Pokémon thing)
It's not related to the Imgur leak whatsoever. DasVergeben gave new information, adding more to his original leak.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comm..._big_smash_leaks_for_those_that_care/dztxgy0/
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-for-nintendo-switch/76614511/902259610

This is the whole DasVergeben Leak:

- All characters from Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U are returning.
- Ice Climbers are also returning.
- Ridley is a new character.
- Simon Belmont is a new character.
- Snake is returning.
- Minecraft will have some sort of presence in the game.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
It's not related to the Imgur leak whatsoever. DasVergeben gave new information, adding more to his original leak.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comm..._big_smash_leaks_for_those_that_care/dztxgy0/
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-for-nintendo-switch/76614511/902259610

This is the whole DasVergeben Leak:

- All characters from Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U are returning.
- Ice Climbers are also returning.
- Ridley is a new character.
- Simon Belmont is a new character.
- Snake is returning.
- Minecraft will have some sort of presence in the game.
The added thing was snake returning and something of minecraft, a stage or assit trophy.
The imgur leak had Snake too so that helps that leak.

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Veregeben should really start filtering or withholding information he's getting from other sources. It started with just Ridley, and now we've gotten to Ridley, no cuts + 2 returning veterans (one of which is in a VERY tight spot right now), a Minecraft stage, and the random and unexpected Simon Belmont.

Not saying he couldn't be spot on, but the more he shares, the more I begin the question the validity of his sources and his track record.

Chihiro Fujisaki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KnightOfSpace
you know ironically i find myself coming back to this thread a lot not because i want ridley and support him but because there’s so much leak discussion

IronTed

Smash Ace
That's Vergeben in a nutshell. He shares literally everything, even when he knows it could be unreliable. If he filtered his info, he would have a much more solid track record.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
So basically I get that Vergeben is basically Marcus Sellars with some better sources? lmao

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
Oh boy, Snake returning and Minecraft representation are in the mix now? Sheesh, at this point I want something to come up that proves this leak as true or false already.

It's gonna be a long 12 days...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
So basically I get that Vergeben is basically Marcus Sellars with some better sources? lmao
I don't know if Vergenben got absolutely baited like Sellars did so nah
Fake or not Ridley will still have a chance for some reasons

1 promote metroid prime 4 or Samus returns

2 the amount of votes in the ballot since Ridley is easily in the top 10 despite what sakurai said

3 Ridley could get the villager scenario for smash which is change of heart for this case looks scary no matter how big he is and figure out something with his flying
1: tbf Sylux could promote Prime 4
2: We literally know nothing about the Ballot other than there were loads of Final Fantasy requests, Bayonetta won and veterans made the top 5 too

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
Now even in the face of how confusing Vergeben is given his track record, didn't the serious consideration for Ridley start with the Resetera hints?
Also, as a Ridley supporter relatively new(last Smash) to all of this, I have to ask: Is the consideration and anticipation that he might finally become a playable character right now, any different from the hopes and gut feelings of past Smash games, especially during their pre-release/leak season? I know the Ridley fanbase was literally holding their breath during the whole Pyrosphere debacle until they finally revealed he was a stage boss. I hope we don't go through that again.

Last edited:

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127
OK, so... honest question.
Does anybody have a list of all of the leaks mentioning Ridley and the history behind them?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Now even in the face of how confusing Vergeben is given his track record, didn't the serious consideration for Ridley start with the Resetera hints?
Also, as a Ridley supporter relatively new(last Smash) to all of this, I have to ask: Is the consideration and anticipation that he might finally become a playable character right now, any different from the hopes and gut feelings of past Smash games, especially during their pre-release/leak season? I know the Ridley fanbase was literally holding their breath during the whole Pyrosphere debacle until they finally revealed he was a stage boss. I hope we don't go through that again.
As someone who's been there for all of it, I'd say so. At the very least, some of these leaks that include him seem to have at least *some* credibility, and since things seem to (assuming any of the leaks are correct (except for the Lazzyman one which seems obviously fake by now)) to be lining up for a pretty fanservicey (in the best way) roster, I actually think we might have a chance this time.

Back then, the most credible leak we had was SalRomano's Gematsu leak, and there was no Ridley there at all. The only leak with Ridley I can remember back before Smash 4 is that ****in thing with the "evolution mechanic".

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Hmmm...

I just accured to me

In the vergeben leak snake comes back is a recent update righ.

Isn't snake in that imugar leak, coincidence perhaps?

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
That Imgur leak is the biggest BS I’ve ever seen. Those images could mean anything if you were creative enough. Think about it: what if they revealed the Savvy Stylist as a newcomer? It will be easy enough to just say “oh the Versace logo meant Versace as a fashion company, that confirms her so the leak was totally true.”

Come to think of it, that actually sounds like a really fun forum game: imagine your top 10 most wanted characters, and then post 10 tangentially related images from Google and get people try to guess who they mean. Someone should start that.

Like I said before, I will believe a Ridley leak when Nintendo shows me a playable purple space dragon. Not before.

D

Deleted member

All of this Ridley rumor talk will hopefully pay off.

Also guys, if you had to choose a Ridley design that would be used for a playable Ridley, which one would it be? Im quite fond of Proteus myself.

Come to think of it, that actually sounds like a really fun forum game: imagine your top 10 most wanted characters, and then post 10 tangentially related images from Google and get people try to guess who they mean. Someone should start that.
Challenge accepted:

Have fun guessing who the characters are supposed to be.

PS:Yes Ridley is one of them obviously.

Top Bottom