• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

StormC

Smash Hero
If he was in, though, I can't see him being unlocked from the beginning. Even though it would be loads of hype, we don't usually get trailers for unlockables until after release - at which point people would already know. The only unlockables we've gotten spoiled before release were 3rd parties.

I really don't know whether to expect a Riddles trailer at E3.
Lucina got revealed (and Dark Pit got teased) before release.

I agree that Ridley would be strange to have on the base roster but they’d definitely reveal him, if only in the end. They might reveal all the unlockables this time, or not have them at all, in part to prevent leaks.

If Ridley isn’t revealed at E3, only reason I can imagine is because K. Rool is revealed and they want to keep a big announcement like that for later.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I honestly believe that Ridley was selected as a playable character for Sm4sh, and for one reason or another that decision was changed.

Ridley has a complete moveset, right down to the edge grab. He has a character stock icon. He can even be KO’d the same way as a playable character. He was built from the ground up exactly like a playable. Even his render looks as if it was made smaller and then enlarged. I also think this is why he was teased with his shadow—they were still working on him as a playable—and that’s also why I think it was so late before he was revealed to be a boss (because his role changed during development). Eventually, Sakurai and his team felt that they couldn’t make him work to their liking, or they just liked how he worked as a stage hazard better, or for some reason the 3DS couldn’t handle him.
O_O Now that I think about it, Ridley actually DID look more like a playable character than a boss! Oooooh-ho-ho, man! That is amazing!

Morbi

Scavenger
"Ridley was playable and then demoted" is not a theory i've heard in a long time.

This thread makes me feel old.
:061:
It is an oldie but goodie, am I right, or am I right?

It makes me feel young again, to actually be excited about what a video-game might offer.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Fans probably wouldn’t be happy that his playable debut was in his Other M form...
Meh. Would’ve been a slap on the wrist compared to the alternative/what we got. Even if it wasn’t everyone’s favorite design, there’d still have been much more rejoicing just on him being playable. Beggars can’t always be choosers.

Morbi

Scavenger
Meh. Would’ve been a slap on the wrist compared to the alternative/what we got. Even if it wasn’t everyone’s favorite design, there’d still have been much more rejoicing just on him being playable. Beggars can’t always be choosers.
I am not entirely sure about that. I remember a lot of people argued that they would rather have nothing if Sakurai decided to use the Other M design. They were relatively rare, but still.

I could care less myself. I just want Ridley. If the only way for that is to add a wingless version of him, I guess I want a wingless Ridley.

Didn’t realized it was considered so far fetched.
It's just a theory that has been running around since. . .well since he was easd at pyrosphere. When it was confirmed he as a stage boss a lot of people thought "oh well maybe he was playable at one point!" using pretty much the same points.

It's just feels like deja vu, and it's weird when that was years ago haha.
:061:

Enchess

Smash Lord
Finally got around to beating Samus Returns yesterday and that Ridley fight almost feels like they were trying to make a case for Ridley in Smash. He felt smaller than usual, fought both on ground and in air, had more varied moveset than any other enemy, mixture of melee and projectile, etc. Hope I'm right and Sakurai took the hint.

Honestly, Ridley in Smash seems inevitable so long as Smash and Metroid both continue. It's just a question of how long before Sakurai gives in. I just hope when he does I get Red Cover Art Ridley, Gold Ridley, and Frozen Ridley colors.

Does anyone else want a psych-out where giant Ridley shows up in Event/Adventure Mode as "non-playable boss" then is unlocked by surprise through difficult conditions? I sorta love those fakeouts that disappoint players during trailers only to make them super excited when the game comes out and they realize what's what.

StormC

Smash Hero
I don’t want any more Ridley “teasing” or shenanigans. Just give us the character and call it a day. His fakeout wouldn’t last long with the internet anyway.

Enchess

Smash Lord
I don’t want any more Ridley “teasing” or shenanigans. Just give us the character and call it a day. His fakeout wouldn’t last long with the internet anyway.
My feelings are that if he's not in I want no teasing. If he is in, I want the teasing so I can do speculation and debate (which is fun) and then get vindicated by the final release. Teasing and shenanigans only suck if nothing substantial ultimately comes of it (like the infamous shadow in Sm4sh).

StormC

Smash Hero
My feelings are that if he's not in I want no teasing. If he is in, I want the teasing so I can do speculation and debate (which is fun) and then get vindicated by the final release. Teasing and shenanigans only suck if nothing substantial ultimately comes of it (like the infamous shadow in Sm4sh).
I’m old and tired of speculation/debate. Give us Ridley or don’t.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I don’t know why, but I am compelled to talk about Ridley.

Must be the blue moon.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Will repost here from what I wrote in general chat since it's more relevant to us:

So, on this blessed day, Riddley me this:

If Ridley finally gets in, will you main him? Or I guess a better question is, with as many different types of movesets we've collectively come up with, or just based on his personality and his size, would his hypothetical playstyle interest you?

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Well, obviously this is the thread to debate whether or not Smash is good enough to deserve Ridley.

Personally, I think Ridley is beyond such a pathetic attempt at a crossover.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Ridley is 100% likely to get in Smash. His size is perfect and his handsome pointy teeth and skinny purple skin will shock Sakurai in awe of his beauty. Ridley's beauty will cause Sakurai to cancel Inklings and add only him in Smash Switch. I can guarantee this, Samus Aran at Nintendo headquarters told me so.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I've been a fool. How could I have been so blind? I can see clearly now that Ridley is the only newcomer that matters. I'm sorry for not seeing it sooner.

D

Deleted member

I can confirm thru multiple natural water sources that Ridley will be in The next smash. But only unlocked after you beat 20 enemies on cruel Mode, with each character, with the tv off

hahahah I was hoping this would be stickied and tagged. Important just feels right.

Let's try to keep things civil, aye space pirates?

Let's make today a BIG day!
:5Ridley:

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
and of course, ridley's the april fools' joke because too big lolz

Honestly, though, the theme itself is neat. I really want it to become a permanent thing. If he gets into Smash Switch, this will be a hilarious turn of events.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
My avatar here and on Discord has meaning now.

Great.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'm here for the party. Hope you guys are having fun already, too!

But seriously, this is pretty cool. I had planned to ask you guys a question about the character soon, but I'll wait until this awesomeness is over. :p

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Funny how today is nothing different for you guys.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Hello. I'm new to Ridleyboards. I'm here to show my support for Ridley in Ridley Bros. 5, Ridley Returns. I thought Ridley might make it into the game, but I've come to see that Ridley stands no chance against Ridley, and really Ridley is just the far superior choice to become a newcomer in Ridley Bros. 5.

SamuXCI

Smash Cadet
NNID
SamuXCI
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
These RidleyBoards colors are looking clean

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Praise be to THE Space Pirate himself! We are not worthy to breathe his air, to kiss his talons, to even be within his very presence! We shall remain steadfast as we hold this sacred ground for you, our lord Ridley!

Top Bottom