• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

I understand being skeptical.

But this one has some actual weight behind it.

It's okay to be a little excited.
No.
The life of a Ridley fan is eternally expecting the worst and nothing more.

After smash For, we've all been tempered. Ridley fans went from bright eyed teenagers to grizzled war veterans
:061:

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
People are genuinely believing that Ridley is going to be in smash without actually being a part of any inside info

Y'all remember Tower of Smash? Or Spainkiller?

I don't want another "second post" needing to be made lol. Space Pirates are doomed to be hopeful for all time, huh? :laugh:
Just keep your expectations as low as possible and if/when he shows up it will even be more hype based on the fact you don't expect him
Awh man, why'd you have to remind of the Tower of Smash? That could have been such a cool mode! :(

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I don't believe it, and others saying they are reliable is a little difficult for me to believe. I've heard of a lot of "reliable" sources that always seem to be full of balogna (or everything they get right is just something someone else said first.)

However, I do have the slightest sliver of hope. I'd be overjoyed with Ridley finally in Smash. That Melee intro still makes me sad.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
I don't believe it, and others saying they are reliable is a little difficult for me to believe. I've heard of a lot of "reliable" sources that always seem to be full of balogna (or everything they get right is just something someone else said first.)

However, I do have the slightest sliver of hope. I'd be overjoyed with Ridley finally in Smash. That Melee intro still makes me sad.
Here's the melee comercial for maximum sadness :

HAHAHAHAhahahahahaha.

James Phillips

Smash Journeyman
Here's the melee comercial for maximum sadness :

HAHAHAHAhahahahahaha.
False advertising right here.

Imagine being the poor sod who bought this game expecting he could play as the badass purple dragon he saw in the commercial.

Last edited:

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Guys, come on! Melee, Brawl, Sm4sh, even the gap between 3DS and Wii U! Every time there’s a Smash Bros release we go through this. I mean...the Melee intro, the Melee poll, the cloud theory, the Brawl prophets, the tower of Smash, the constant leakers and “prophets” and reliable people across the internet who have correctly leaked things in the past, even Sakurai seemingly trolling Ridley supporters to supposedly lead up to a reveal. It’s always the same, and each time we end up disappointed, and each time the rest of the Smash world feasts on our tears.

I don’t know about you guys, but I’ve learned my lesson at this point. Three Smash-sequels so far, three times Ridley wasn’t playable in the game. I’m not ready to believe yet another supposedly reliable 2nd hand source this time. I still support Ridley, but I’m done hoping. As far as I’m concerned, he’s deconfirmed until Nintendo announces that he’s payable. I’d recommend you guys adopt the same philosophy, or we’re all going to be in the same place we were after investing emotion and effort into the hoping for Ridley’s inclusion in the last three games.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
...who?

Yeah, I don’t really follow leaks until they’ve made enough noise to be plastered all over here, and even then most are nothing.

I will not gey hyped. I am so far on team doubt here.

I want Ridz bad, but I won’t believe he’s playable until I see it. Literally. Sakurai and his team are so good at trolling, that I’m probably gonna doubt he’s in until I’m playing the game and I start a match as Ridley, even if they give us a trailer at E3.

Morbi

Scavenger
Guys, come on! Melee, Brawl, Sm4sh, even the gap between 3DS and Wii U! Every time there’s a Smash Bros release we go through this. I mean...the Melee intro, the Melee poll, the cloud theory, the Brawl prophets, the tower of Smash, the constant leakers and “prophets” and reliable people across the internet who have correctly leaked things in the past, even Sakurai seemingly trolling Ridley supporters to supposedly lead up to a reveal. It’s always the same, and each time we end up disappointed, and each time the rest of the Smash world feasts on our tears.

I don’t know about you guys, but I’ve learned my lesson at this point. Three Smash-sequels so far, three times Ridley wasn’t playable in the game. I’m not ready to believe yet another supposedly reliable 2nd hand source this time. I still support Ridley, but I’m done hoping. As far as I’m concerned, he’s deconfirmed until Nintendo announces that he’s payable. I’d recommend you guys adopt the same philosophy, or we’re all going to be in the same place we were after investing emotion and effort into the hoping for Ridley’s inclusion in the last three games.
I am honestly ready to be humiliated again. Maybe it is some sort of fetish. But seriously, I do not really care about what other people think, if I want to support Ridley, I want to support Ridely, and given Sakurai more or less gave him the Villager treatment, this leak is unfortunately the best evidence at the moment. So regardless of its validity, it is what I am sticking to. If it is wrong, oh well, I cannot imagine a world where a Smash game releases without Ridley. /s

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
It's okay to be excited, especially since this is deffiiinitely the best thing you could ask for right now. Just keep in mind there's a lot of factors that could've happened without our knowledge if it doesn't happen.

Take it from me, the person who wanted Chorus Kids lol. I'm pretty confident on this one, though.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
I've been through enough leaks to know not to trust them

Only thing I'll say is...I really hope I'm wrong lol

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito

And then E3 comes around and Sakurai is proud to reveal that Pyrosphere, one of the most popular stages from Smash 4 (especially amongst Metroid fans), will return.
Whom is this?

I'm spamming my F key to doubt tbh

I don't really think Sakurai will change his mind about Ridley, but given two things:
1.)
His fan-beloved appearance in MSR
2.) Metroid Prime 4 coming out
Things may change. Back on the topic of leaks, I suppose this time around we won't really know until the end. I remember how the ESBR leak revealed so many newcomers (Doc, Shulk, Jr.), but given that in the past, there's no way it'll repeat with Nintendo and Sakurai being so secretive about this game.

man how I missed this gif

No one should "expect", only "hope".

I'm super sceptical, after what happened during Smash 3DS/WiiU speculation.

I don't want a repeat of the Tower of Smash, shadow analysis, etc.
This tbh. Even if ER and (whoever) the other guys are, we really can't be certain anymore.

On an unrelated note, I'm unsure if I should spoil:
Samus Return's Ridley
in this thread.
I can't really describe the spoiler without actually ruining it.

Morbi

Scavenger
Whom is this?

I'm spamming my F key to doubt tbh

I don't really think Sakurai will change his mind about Ridley, but given two things:
1.)
His fan-beloved appearance in MSR
2.) Metroid Prime 4 coming out
Things may change. Back on the topic of leaks, I suppose this time around we won't really know until the end. I remember how the ESBR leak revealed so many newcomers (Doc, Shulk, Jr.), but given that in the past, there's no way it'll repeat with Nintendo and Sakurai being so secretive about this game.

man how I missed this gif

This tbh. Even if ER and (whoever) the other guys are, we really can't be certain anymore.

On an unrelated note, I'm unsure if I should spoil:
Samus Return's Ridley
in this thread.
I can't really describe the spoiler without actually ruining it.
I doubt we have to wait until the end, and even if that is the case, the end is not so far this time around.

Went ahead and make a quick write up on the leaks, just for the sake of the OP which I should keep updated and clean. . .which I forgot that I owned because I didn't recognize my avatar bet avatar. WHOOPS

During the hype of the March direct, staff of the site ResetERA began to hype things up themselves. This included multiple hints that smash would appear in the direct. Obviously, this was correct. However, what is relevant to this thread is what was said by Nibel and, most importantly, Jonneh. Both are ResetERA staff and gave a few special hints of their own.
https://www.resetera.com/posts/5342832/

Now, for the sake of my sanity, im mostly going to ignore this one. Nibel could have meant anything, and I dont want to turn this into a Ridley shadow analysis. Im going to mostly focus on Jonneh.

https://www.resetera.com/posts/5343241/

https://www.resetera.com/posts/5308945/

ResetERA staff member, Jonneh, began hinting at something "too big." But that's not all
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Even on twitter, we have little hints to tie things together.
EDIT: these were previously tweets about a ridley image being "too big" and then a reply "We'll get back to this," both deleted by Jonneh

It's clear to me, that this is all hinting a Ridley having a "big" role. :p

And before people go "but wait!" Jonneh has had a pretty good track record of late.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/re...tered-announcement.15636/page-34#post-3140394

Here he is, hinting at Mario Tennis Aces
And here he is hinting at Captain Toad on 3DS and Switch

So he isn't just a nobody and clearly has ties to insider information. Now, does that mean Ridley is 100% confirmed!!?!?!

No. Sometimes inside info is skewed or wrong. Things like this happen. Hell, for all we know this is all one huge misunderstanding and Jonneh was never trying to hint at anything.

And even then, Jonneh said this
So. . .there's that

And, for those wondering about anything Emily has said
https://www.resetera.com/posts/5571386/

My suggestion: Don't get too excited. We don't know what the future holds, and I would hope Ridley fans learned their lessons after what happened with Smash For and shadow analysis.
[/spoiler]
If I made an error, let me know.

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Went ahead and make a quick write up on the leaks, just for the sake of the OP which I should keep updated and clean. . .which I forgot that I owned because I didn't recognize my avatar bet avatar. WHOOPS

If I made an error, let me know.

Good luck everyone!
I honestly did not know that this was sexy voice / GamExplain Jonneh. That's kinda cool.

D

Deleted member

I went from doubtful to curious of Ridley's addition in Smash in Switch. It would be interesting to see him. Metroid does need more representation in Smash Brothers besides Samus and ZSS, especially when it is a popular series.
If Ridley does get added in Smash in Switch, I got to lick a statue of him.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I'm not buying into these hints, strictly out of policy of it being way too soon for me to start eating leaks up. I don't even know what this game looks like yet.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
All I'm going to say is...

Rooting for you guys. Seriously.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
If Ridley were super large, but also super lightweight, would that balance out for him being faster and stronger than many others?
He would have the larger hitboxes and also be K.O'd more easily.

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
If Ridley were super large, but also super lightweight, would that balance out for him being faster and stronger than many others?
He would have the larger hitboxes and also be K.O'd more easily.
That might make him the worst character in the game. Bayonetta could sneeze on him and he'd die.

My hope would be for a kind of reverse Lucario situation. For Ridley to start out extremely heavy, but become lighter as he takes damage, as various bits of armor are knocked off of him.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Really proud of all your attitudes towards this leak. Love it! Have hope, but don’t go absolutely insan, is a rule that all support threads should follow.

majorasmaskfan

Smash Journeyman
I'm hopeful for Ridley, and I have been defending him and k rool on resetera. And also posting quality content about whether Ridley would enjoy headpats.
I have to believe in the smol wings of samus returns Ridley.

When thinking of his moveset ive though of him having an airgrab, and others have before, you have to balance it not to be op, grab swoop down, throw down, recover back to stage is op, ofcourse you don't want it to be useless.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I definitely agree with the skepticism. While from a credible source, it's still a rumor and we have had false leads before such as with Shovel Knight, and there is no guarantee in this situation. Additionally, after what happened with the past two games, it always pays to tread lightly since the situation with Ridley has been a tough one. Nonetheless, I still can't help getting a bit hopeful and I do really hope that this rumor pans out. It definitely has been a tough road, but it would be great if Sakurai finally found a way to put in Ridley that works for him.

In short, I think it was put best in the speculation forum by N30N: Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. There's definitely reason for doubt, but there's also reason to consider the possibility and speculate accordingly.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Artsy Omny taught me that I can't even trust video "evidence," so words certainly have no bearing.

The only words of any merit are from Sakurai himself.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I could care less if anything is fake or real at this point (leaning towards being ever the pessimist). We don't have much to wait this time either way.

What I do know however is that if it happens, I'm going to track down and make sooooooo many people eat shoes.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
I could care less if anything is fake or real at this point (leaning towards being ever the pessimist). We don't have much to wait this time either way.

What I do know however is that if it happens, I'm going to track down and make sooooooo many people eat shoes.
The left ones, specifically.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
I'm not really a big Ridley guy, but I just wanted to let you guys know that I hope you get what you want this time around. :)

Staarih

Smash Master
First rumours eh? Or, rather, hints... insteresting. Impossible to say if it leads anywhere but being hopeful is never bad. At least things like this bring us together and we'll get through all the good (and bad) together haha!

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I'll be honest, when I got wind of these hints earlier today, I wasn't super hyped (Though I do want to see Ridley in the game), but after watching a Smash Bros. top 10 Newcomers list where the list maker put Sylux on after saying Ridley just isn't ever going to happen, I got way more fired up by that, just imagining him eating his own smug words.

Still, keeping my expectations tempered. Only time will tell.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I don't think it's unfair to believe Ridley wouldn't ever happen.

They've been rejected a few times, Sakueao has said more than any other character that'd it be difficult if not impossible, and if Pyrosphere returns at all they are basically 100% not coming back.

That being said I still hold out hope that they'll make it in eventually. They've were my top pick since Melee and only recently stopped being it due to me just not thinking it's likely, especially compared to Sylux (and my overall admiration for SK.)

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I've read one too many leaks, even from supposed credible people, that has said that Ridley would make it into Brawl/Smash 4, I think even if they play a trailer at E3 with Ridley as a playable character I'll probably double check to make sure I've tuned into the right stream. I accept that these guys are more credible than what we've dealt with before, but I can't even be cautiously optimistic this time. I do however encourage others to be at least a little bit optimistic, Smash speculation is meant to be enjoyed.

It's funny that it didn't take very long for the Ridley rumors to swirl again though, it's the first notable rumor about this game at all and of course it has to be about Ridley, it makes me feel right at home.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I gotta say - I'm pretty pleased at how well we handled this 'leak.' We truly are battle-hardened pirates. As for me - My expectations are pretty tempered - I'm prepared for whatever outcome we might see, whether he's playable or not. If he's playable, I'd be overjoyed to finally see the day realised - otherwise I'll just keep hoping that one day we'll see some miracle.

Also hearing "Tower of Smash" takes me back quite some time to the Pre-50 Facts Extravaganza Direct days... Hard to believe it's almost been four or so years since I started posting here.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Supposed Resetera guys are talking about Ridley in Smash 5

It happen with Smash4 too, people were saying over and over that Ridley was coming and showing important people saying that kind of things, like Sakurai saying that "size doesn't matters in Smash".
Everyday there was this new info that confirmed Ridley 100%, and then nothing.
So no, I don't believe this, even if Sakurai himself said in twitter "hey guys this time ridley is a playable character" I wouldn't believe it until I see it in an official nintendo trailer.

D

Deleted member

Tbh, I didn't believe Ridley had any chances, I basically considered him to have less chances than some obscure as **** 3rd Parties because I didn't believe Sakurai would change his mind.
But now? I at least consoder it a possibility for this timeline. I have no certainty at all, the only thing I believe is that it's a possible path for this timeline.
And I hate this small hope because inner me is saying I'm just going to get disappointed again.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Kind of peeved to see "this kind of rumor" crop up because I know too well what's gonna come up incase it's fake.

And I'll be sure to go after the leaker(s) in sheer indignation because how they have all the sheer audacity to throw in another classic Ridley-rumor-to-be-proven-fake, when Ridley's reputation has long been tarnished by similar leaks for a decade now - and how deeply seeped the infamy of various reactions pre-and post-rumor(s) have gone down on Smash Bros-fandom since.

However, like NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy has said, you supporters are keeping it naturally low-key now, which in-case this is another bait to create a huge buzz like with other Ridley-rumors, is really backfiring on the leakers themselves.
Biggest kudos to you all for doing that - even if I know that from your end, it's come from rather long history of harsh experience.
(But it makes me feel pretty sorry for you as you all keep being poked on the nerves with these kind of things)

Anyway, I'll be praying things turn out better for you Ridley-supporters. You absolutely deserve it after all of these filled now and then with these kind of shenanigans.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Kind of peeved to see "this kind of rumor" crop up because I know too well what's gonna come up incase it's fake.

And I'll be sure to go after the leaker(s) in sheer indignation because how they have all the sheer audacity to throw in another classic Ridley-rumor-to-be-proven-fake - when Ridley's reputation has long been tarnished by similar leaks like this and the reactions that ensued pre-and post-rumor.

However, like NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy has said, you supporters are really keeping it very low-key now, which in-case this another bait to create a huge buzz, is really backfiring on the leakers themselves. Biggest kudos to you all for doing that - even if I know that from your end, it's come from rather long history of harsh experience.

Anyway, I'll be praying things turn out better for you Ridley-supporters. You absolutely deserve it after all of these filled now and then with these kind of shenanigans.

Yeah seriously, this bugs me. Even if Ridley makes it, they don't know it yet, they're just looking for attention, and they're willing to break the hearts of a lot of fans to do it. Pretty pathetic imo, but I'm glad peeps aren't getting caught up in it this time around.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
> E3 comes
> Nintendo announces new Metroid Prime 4 trailer
> Samus is walking, searching for something in a spooky place
> suddenly... "DUUN DUN DUN DUNN" music
> Ridley comes from nowhere and starts attacking her
> Pretty kewl cinematic battle
> Ridley rammes her against the wall
> Wall breaks, they end in a very dark room
> Ridley looks for Samus everywhere, not able to find her
> Suddenly, a big light behind Ridley, he looks back
> Smash Logo
> Every youtuber making a direct becomes crazy, Etika screams "mah ****!" over and over
> Then, under the Smash logo, fire letters appears
> It says "As a stager hazard again"
> Sakurai face appears and starts pointing at Ridley and laugh
> New Smash Character is Bubsy the bobcat.

Top Bottom