• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

D

Deleted member

I don't really feel the need to worry about people's validation about Ridley's spot in smash, so even if the general consensus in Japan is that Ridley isn't "emotive and expressive enough", it makes no real difference to me, no matter how much I disagree with them and how many counterarguments I could present.

Ridley is in, regardless of the petty disputes of the past that just doesn't change the fact. It moreso, once again, proves that Sakurai is a human being who's capable of changing his mind on most subjects. Wow the revelation!

His inclusion marks a change of focus for me, I have to admit. Even if Ridley ends up being poop-tier, he also comes with a big direct where they focus wholly on the mechanics being competitive-friendly. Oh how far we've come.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135

Speaking of purple monsters, glad the Ridley supporters were never like this, outside of SmashBoards every Waluigi supporter I've come across tends to meme and troll a lot, and I couldn't take any of them serious at all, it's like they were constantly in meme mode, but never thought the Waluigi supporters would go this far.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Speaking of purple monsters, glad the Ridley supporters were never like this, outside of SmashBoards every Waluigi supporter I've come across tends to meme and troll a lot, and I couldn't take any of them serious at all, it's like they were constantly in meme mode, but never thought the Waluigi supporters would go this far.
Don't say that too quickly, I can guarantee at least a few people who really wanted Ridley did the same because that's just how society is now

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Don't say that too quickly, I can guarantee at least a few people who really wanted Ridley did the same because that's just how society is now
Maybe a few, I can't deny that, but people are organising full attacks against Sakurai and other Nintendo reps

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Harassment from Ridley fans wasn't uncommon at all, though I'm unsure how much of it was directed at Sakurai, just moreso people that were ok with his roster decisions back in the Smash 4 days.

I think we're better off recognizing that it's not every Waluigi fan and not every Ridley fan that is the scum of the Earth, that would be a good start for sure.
A problem is a problem, but we can't just solve it by generalizing.

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice

Dude, support for Ridley often stooped BELOW this level, especially during the "Shadow speculation" period of Smash 4. I recall multiple instances of people deleting their accounts because of how bad the harassment got.

The sad truth is that every fanbase has it's fanatics. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the awful Ridley supporters back then are the same people who are harassing Sakurai over Waluigi now.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Maybe a few, I can't deny that, but people are organising full attacks against Sakurai and other Nintendo reps
What in the actual ****?

Is this honestly the most important thing these people can do with their time?

Anyone getting this worked up about a game needs serious help. I cringed when the WHO declared video game addiction a thing, but seeing this makes me think maybe they had a point.

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman

This meme honestly didn't seem that beyond the pale. Yeah, bringing in 9/11 to something so petty is low, but I don't see it as serious in the slightest. It's just an unfunny meme with lousy taste, and those are a dime a dozen anywhere on the internet at any time for any reason.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I remember in the K Rool thread someone posted a poll from the Smash Ballot that had Ridley in 2nd or 3rd so he’s a lot more popular in Japan than we think. I’m glad to see other people discovering him though,

Also I don’t think they’re saying that he’s not emotive enough to be a fighter, they’re saying he’s not human enough to be emotive. Basically saying that a character like him shouldn’t be so expressional. It’s still silly to complain about, but yeah.
True. The initial Japanese ballot results polling posted by SourceGaming does have Ridley fairly high (3rd most wanted Newcomer behind K. Rool and Krystal respectively, 9th overall). http://sourcegaming.info/2015/02/19/perception-of-smash-dlc-in-japan/

The results change rather dramatically later on though, with K. Rool taking the top spot and Ridley dropping down below the top 20 to number 21. Krystal has a similar dip. It's interesting.

https://sourcegaming.info/2015/09/13/japantopdlcpt2/

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Ridley must be like, "Who's ready to die next?!"

He's clearly a sign of death and terror, and that's something you'll almost never see with Bowser and Ganondorf.
Metroid has always kind of allowed to be more of this given it's origins as having alot of references to the Alien's franchise in particular. Makes sense it would be allowed to be a bit darker.

Unfortunately this seems to be absolutely true, in the last few years, social media and fan bases seemed to be steadily getting worse. The loudest and most idiotic of any given group seem to get louder and louder. Making it even easier to paint an entire group with generalizations.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Oh man, Mac's trailer still gives me chills. I recognized it in the first few seconds and just rode the hype wave all the way to the end. So good.

As far as leaks, you must've missed the Vergeben leak gaining momentum up until the reveal, that mentioned ICs and Snake coming back, as well as Ridley and Simon Belmont as newcomers, as well as no cuts. While Simon is still MIA, the rest of it has come true so far.
Hoping it isn't true since Simon would be the most boring Castlevania rep possible. Alucard would be so much more interesting (and he is pretty much the Cloud of the Castlevania series) or even Soma Cruz, who happens to be Dracula himself. Richter wouldn't be bad, either. He looks and plays greatly in Symphony of the Night.
I had no knowledge of the supposed leak. Though I remember being pretty hyped after Little Mac's trailer a few years ago.
Little Mac's trailer was my favorite until Ridley's trailer. They did a fantastic job with that trailer. Visuals, music, everything.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Hoping it isn't true since Simon would be the most boring Castlevania rep possible. Alucard would be so much more interesting (and he is pretty much the Cloud of the Castlevania series) or even Soma Cruz, who happens to be Dracula himself. Richter wouldn't be bad, either. He looks and plays greatly in Symphony of the Night.

Little Mac's trailer was my favorite until Ridley's trailer. They did a fantastic job with that trailer. Visuals, music, everything.
I mean, Simon's the original protag and Konami's been putting him in the spotlight again. And given the choice between Simon or literally no Castlevania at all, I don't know why anyone would choose the latter. It's not like he doesn't represent a good part of the series well.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I'd prefer Alucard or Dracula but I wouldn't mind Simon. If he gets in, it'll give me a good reason to finally play SCIV on my SNES Classic.

:love: The 3 animations look amazing! Now I may have missed how his clapping animation looks like or how he's put to sleep.
There's a few videos with his clapping animation... don't have any on hand but they're out there.

D

Deleted member

I do like that Ridley got his own victory theme.
Since, let's be honest, proper positive victory fanfares and Ridley winning anything ever doesn't get along.

If this guy wins, it's automatically a tragedy.

Hell, one of the animations looks like him eating... something.
Congrats you weird purple birb.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
True. The initial Japanese ballot results polling posted by SourceGaming does have Ridley fairly high (3rd most wanted Newcomer behind K. Rool and Krystal respectively, 9th overall). http://sourcegaming.info/2015/02/19/perception-of-smash-dlc-in-japan/

The results change rather dramatically later on though, with K. Rool taking the top spot and Ridley dropping down below the top 20 to number 21. Krystal has a similar dip. It's interesting.

https://sourcegaming.info/2015/09/13/japantopdlcpt2/
I’ve mentioned this before but K Rools insane popularity in Japan in the sense that Nintendo refuses to do literally anything with him. Nintendo is known to listen to their home country first and more than anybody, but K Rool is just left in their vault of unused properties. Its really odd. I guess it might be because they don’t want to use anything made by Rare (Despite them owning K Rool) but they use Diddy Kong and Dixie which were Rare creations. I remember reading that Retro wanted to use K Rool and the Kremlings in DKCR but Nintendo said no. Just a really strange situation as a K Rool return would probably do insane sales for Donkey Kong.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I’ve mentioned this before but K Rools insane popularity in Japan in the sense that Nintendo refuses to do literally anything with him. Nintendo is known to listen to their home country first and more than anybody, but K Rool is just left in their vault of unused properties. Its really odd. I guess it might be because they don’t want to use anything made by Rare (Despite them owning K Rool) but they use Diddy Kong and Dixie which were Rare creations. I remember reading that Retro wanted to use K Rool and the Kremlings in DKCR but Nintendo said no. Just a really strange situation as a K Rool return would probably do insane sales for Donkey Kong.
It wasn't that Nintendo told them not to, Retro just didn't care and wanted to try doing their own thing. The only characters Miyamoto told Retro they *needed* to include in Returns were Diddy and Cranky, but didn't really say anything else.

And regardless, fortunately Sakurai plays by his own rules rather than their's half the time.

OmegaX5000

Smash Journeyman
I just had a quick idea come to mind: Does anyone think Ridley will be in the starting roster once you boot up the game for the first time? Personally, I think he'll be one of the many unlockables, but I wouldn't be opposed to playing as him right out of the gate.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
I just had a quick idea come to mind: Does anyone think Ridley will be in the starting roster once you boot up the game for the first time? Personally, I think he'll be one of the many unlockables, but I wouldn't be opposed to playing as him right out of the gate.
I’m gonna have to say I have extreme doubts on that one. From what was stated in the Smash direct, the roster will start as small as the original 12, then as you play it’ll expand. Although, I’m pretty sure it wasn’t specified that we’ll start with the exact 12 characters from 64. However, the visual representation when that was stated implies that it will.

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Oh man, Mac's trailer still gives me chills. I recognized it in the first few seconds and just rode the hype wave all the way to the end. So good.

As far as leaks, you must've missed the Vergeben leak gaining momentum up until the reveal, that mentioned ICs and Snake coming back, as well as Ridley and Simon Belmont as newcomers, as well as no cuts. While Simon is still MIA, the rest of it has come true so far.
I hadn't returned to the forum at that point. I took a break from Smashboards after the Smash 4 DLC and I missed being with everyone here. Then after seeing the Smash Ultimate trailer and Ridley's reveal, I was so hyped to get back to Smashboards after so long.

Yeah no doubt, Little Mac's is among my top 3 newcomer trailers. Ridley's trailer did an awesome job of showing his character traits at its finest. I am so looking forward to a potential K. Rool & Dixie trailer. But still, it feels so surreal that a character we've all been supporting for all these years while persevering through many obstacles and never faltered in the end. A true victory indeed.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Ridley x Krool.

Hmmmm I'd ship it. :)
TooBigShipping is making a comeback.

Oh no, some Ridley fans did in fact stoop that low. Smash 4 was a dark time, and neither side really came out smelling like roses with the Ridley debates.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Anyone have that image of playable Bowser being chased by a larger Bowser? I think the game was Mario and Sonic.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Guys, do you know in what game Ridley gets a weak point when charging fire?? i am trying to remember which.
I think it was in Metroid Prime 3 in the Meta Ridley fight where he's going down the generator shaft.

D

Deleted member

Guys, do you know in what game Ridley gets a weak point when charging fire?? i am trying to remember which.
Generally the Prime games had that going for them. And there are a few animations in Samus Returns where she goes for his mouth cuz damn she didn't want to deal with him that day at all.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
D

Deleted member

People like to categorize Sakurai as some sort of Smash Machine that makes his decisions based on hyperadvanced deductions and never changes his mind.

Even when people remind them that Sakurai is a freakin' human being the general gist is that his current word is nothing but being set in stone permanently.

It's just kinda funny tbh

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
https://smashboards.com/threads/sakurai-eternally-deconfirming-ridley-pin-this.453362/

Remember when posts like this were a thing regarding Ridley? I think we can all just laugh at this on behalf of Sakurai’s unpredictable nature.
It's even funnier going into that thread and seeing Zeb with his Ridley main icons and cinematic gif, Ismar too.

It's like a time capsule of justice.
The best thing to me about it is that this was the actual first thread I locked/came back to (and posted in) after a 4 month long hiatus.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
made this in gimp as a playmat, want you all opinion before I send it to get made

playmat.png

Attachments

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
All this excitement (as well as all the Ridley fanart I'm seeing all over Twitter) has made me dig up an old piece of art I've done of Ridley about 10 or so years ago.
Ridley.jpg

I think I should give him another go...

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
All this excitement (as well as all the Ridley fanart I'm seeing all over Twitter) has made me dig up an old piece of art I've done of Ridley about 10 or so years ago.

I think I should give him another go...
O.O You are THE ONE that made this piece? Damn, I would have never expected to find that out! I bet if you re-do Rids this time you are still going to do wonders!

Top Bottom