• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I'll never stop being jealous of people who can draw.
I mean, if you are inclined to learn, practice and get better slowly but surely, I bet you could draw anything you wanted over time. I mean, that was my case with Riddles since 2006 or so.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
https://smashboards.com/threads/sakurai-eternally-deconfirming-ridley-pin-this.453362/

Remember when posts like this were a thing regarding Ridley? I think we can all just laugh at this on behalf of Sakurai’s unpredictable nature.
Well, that thread hasn’t aged all too well now has it?
People like to categorize Sakurai as some sort of Smash Machine that makes his decisions based on hyperadvanced deductions and never changes his mind.

Even when people remind them that Sakurai is a freakin' human being the general gist is that his current word is nothing but being set in stone permanently.

It's just kinda funny tbh
But didn’t you know? Ridley is the exception. Now I’m well aware Sakurai has said things like Animal Crossing is too peaceful to be represented in Smash or that Pac-Man just simply doesn’t have moveset potential to be playable only to go back on it later, but Ridley just can’t work! /s

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Not sure if this has been asked for but what do you think his Boxing Ring moniker will be? Purple Space Dragon? Space Pirate Captain? Samus’s Arch Nemesis?

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if this has been asked for but what do you think his Boxing Ring moniker will be? Purple Space Dragon? Space Pirate Captain? Samus’s Arch Nemesis?
I can't remember if I said it earlier in this thread or another, but I'm rooting for "Cunning God of Death."

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I'll never stop being jealous of people who can draw.
I mean, if you are inclined to learn, practice and get better slowly but surely, I bet you could draw anything you wanted over time. I mean, that was my case with Riddles since 2006 or so.
This.

It's not that you can't draw, it's that you don't draw. You have to put in the work to get better if you actually want to be better. All you need to do is to simply just start, then begin to learn more about the fundamental skills required to be a better artist.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I do like that Ridley got his own victory theme.
Since, let's be honest, proper positive victory fanfares and Ridley winning anything ever doesn't get along.

If this guy wins, it's automatically a tragedy.

Hell, one of the animations looks like him eating... something.
Congrats you weird purple birb.
And then he suddenly turns to you (insert scare chord here) with a face that implies he's heard your pleas for mercy,
but doesn't give a single iota of care and that you'll be next if you don't shut up.

It's frankly impressive that this Ridley can emote at all, compared to all other versions. His clapping animation in particular
has him look VERY disgruntled at losing... but perhaps applauding at all implies a grudging respect to those more vicious than him.

Oh, and I also haven't posted or visited the boards in years but hype and all that.

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
And then he suddenly turns to you (insert scare chord here) with a face that implies he's heard your pleas for mercy,
but doesn't give a single iota of care and that you'll be next if you don't shut up.

It's frankly impressive that this Ridley can emote at all, compared to all other versions. His clapping animation in particular
has him look VERY disgruntled at losing... but perhaps applauding at all implies a grudging respect to those more vicious than him.

Oh, and I also haven't posted or visited the boards in years but hype and all that.
I interpret his clapping as sarcastic. "Were it not for the laws of this land, I would have slaughtered you."

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Speaking of clap animation, here is a gif of it!

Can I also say how Ridley's Red Color look like he just take a bath made out of blood? Like Holy Metroid, look at this monster!

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

Can I also say how Ridley's Red Color look like he just take a bath made out of blood? Like Holy Metroid, look at this monster!
That boxart alt though...

Actually speaking of his alts...

-his default Super Metroid purple
-Super Metroid boxart
-Neo Ridley X
-Zero Mission
-NEStroid
-Gold Ridley statue
-Mecha Ridley
-possibly Meta Ridley

Of course there's also his true Meta Ridley alt that we've seen, but wasn't in the demo...will be interesting seeing the alternate colours for that one.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

-Super Metroid boxart
-Neo Ridley X
-Zero Mission
-NEStroid
-Gold Ridley statue
-Mecha Ridley
-possibly Meta Ridley

Of course there's also his true Meta Ridley alt that we've seen, but wasn't in the demo...will be interesting seeing the alternate colours for that one.
What are the gonna do with Meta-Ridley though? I guess it’d be easy enough to replace the black recolor, but I hope not since that balck recolor is awesome.

Or are they gonna go :wario::4littlemac: and give 8 recolors of each?

I don’t want the color selector overstuffed, so the best option for me would be if they just bumped some characters over 8 colors. Doubly so since Mario’s missing his Fire Mario and Jumpman palettes. With that one show of Little Mac’s costume select, it makes me think DLC costumes could be a thing, and I’d love a bunch more Link/Zelda outfits.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist

X3 I love this anination! :V And indeed it looks that way! Simply gorgeous!

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
What are the gonna do with Meta-Ridley though? I guess it’d be easy enough to replace the black recolor, but I hope not since that balck recolor is awesome.

I don’t want the color selector overstuffed, so the best option for me would be if they just bumped some characters over 8 colors. Doubly so since Mario’s missing his Fire Mario and Jumpman palettes. With that one show of Little Mac’s costume select, it makes me think DLC costumes could be a thing, and I’d love a bunch more Link/Zelda outfits.
I think they'll go the Wario/Mac route....I believe Ike has something similar with his PoR and RD designs. I can see them doing that with Meta Ridley as well and giving him various recolours. Omega Ridley would be an obvious one being a mix of Dark Blues and Purples, perhaps some recolours based on the Pirate Troopers from Prime 1 (Power, Wave, Ice and Plasma; Yellow, Purple, White and Red respectively)...A Black alt with red accents would look sick on Ridely btw.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I believe Ike has something similar with his PoR and RD designs.
As of now, according to Smash Wiki, Ike’s in a Bayonetta/Cloud/Robin/Corrin/Link situation with 4 of each. Mario’s also got the two new outfits, which cut two previous ones.

Just a thought...I’d love if we got more recolors or even new costumes for most characters. I don’t know if we need another 8 Metas, but 2-4 more could be cool

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
As of now, according to Smash Wiki, Ike’s in a Bayonetta/Cloud/Robin/Corrin/Link situation with 4 of each. Mario’s also got the two new outfits, which cut two previous ones.

Just a thought...I’d love if we got more recolors or even new costumes for most characters. I don’t know if we need another 8 Metas, but 2-4 more could be cool
Probably makes more sense for Ike to have it set up like that I guess...I did play him a fair bit in both Brawl and Smash 4 but not enough to really pay attention, I just know he's missing his Chrom alt.

Anyways, I think it makes sense for Ridley to have another set of alts based on Meta-Ridely rather than just having one extra skin added, similar to both Mac and Wario.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
In other competitive news for those who care, Plup also said he’s gonna main Ridley in Ultimate and he vows to be the best Ridley in the competitive scene

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
In other competitive news for those who care, Plup also said he’s gonna main Ridley in Ultimate and he vows to be the best Ridley in the competitive scene
He's a pretty big Metroid fan, Super Metroid is his favorite game and he's wanted Ridley since forever. Will never forget him knocking Leffen out with Samus during Evo 2015 (I think it was?).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Personally, I would've thought that Ridley would simply stand and feel frustrated about losing. In other words, he would've behaved in a similar manner as Mewtwo, who doesn't clap its hands at all.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Personally, I would've thought that Ridley would simply stand and feel frustrated about losing. In other words, he would've behaved in a similar manner as Mewtwo, who doesn't clap its hands at all.
Personally, that clap animation give me the vibe off:

"alright little ****, I clap for your victory now, but you won't see the last of me for sure"

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
More likely he'd just flip out and try to kill the ''victor'' anyway since every fight with him would be one to the death if he had his way...
but he doesn't at the moment, and that REALLY annoys him.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Personally, that clap animation give me the vibe off:

"alright little ****, I clap for your victory now, but you won't see the last of me for sure"
That's the thing. Ridley is depicted as a cruel, heartless, and malevolent monster, so it feels weird to see him clap his hands.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
That's the thing. Ridley is depicted as a cruel, heartless, and malevolent monster, so it feels weird to see him clap his hands.
I could see Manga Ridley doing a sarcastic sort of clap.

But really, since Ridley is seen tearing his opponent or atleast something apart in his victory pose. I feel like he is just leaving is opponent celebrating for now, until he can tear them to shred next time.

Note however that I wouldn't against a clap animation that is more in the like of Mewtwo or somethin', that's just my thoughts on this clap animation.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Ridley has a deep passion and appreciation for the violence he inflicts. I'd like to think that, on some level, he is able to hold some respect
towards those who prove to be more vicious than him (even Samus, whom he despises more than any other), even if it doesn't overshadow his
immediate rage over losing. Hence he claps for his opponent's display, but fumes internally that he will show even less mercy next time.

D

Deleted member

-Super Metroid boxart
-Neo Ridley X
-Zero Mission
-NEStroid
-Gold Ridley statue
-Mecha Ridley
-possibly Meta Ridley

Wait, so this essentially confirms that the demo alts aren't everything that we're getting in the full game.

Does that mean there's still hope for stuff like Mario's Fire Flower alt??

Man, now I'm getting my hopes up again. Damn you, Smash hype!

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I find it no odder than seeing Ganondorf applauding.
Ganondorf is considerably more goal-oriented than Ridley, he knows that these fights contribute nothing to his conquest
and so he has no reason to be too upset about losing, if anything it serves as a learning experience for him.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Ganondorf is considerably more goal-oriented than Ridley, he knows that these fights contribute nothing to his conquest
and so he has no reason to be too upset about losing, if anything it serves as a learning experience for him.
That's sort of how I see Ganondorf as well. He may be among the best Nintendo villains in existence, but he would only really kill those who are a (potential) threat to his conquest (such as the Hyrule Royal Family, the Sages, and even his own followers if they dare to oppose him).

Since Ganondorf doesn't have anything to gain during a Smash Bros. bout, he has no reason to kill anyone.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Isn't Mewtwo the only character who doesn't clap? Well, except Jiggs, but that's cause her arms can't really reach (which is weird, cause Kirby claps). But I would think Mewtwo and Ridley would be in the same boat as far as their personalities.

Who really knows why they decided to give ol' Riddles a clapping animation.

By the way, dunno if this has been posted, but...

Nothing too extraordiary, except it's the only video I've seen where you get all of Ridley's taunts.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Isn't Mewtwo the only character who doesn't clap? Well, except Jiggs, but that's cause her arms can't really reach (which is weird, cause Kirby claps). But I would think Mewtwo and Ridley would be in the same boat as far as their personalities.

Nothing too extraordiary, except it's the only video I've seen where you get all of Ridley's taunts.
Jigglypuff cheers and the Ice Climbers cry

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503

-Super Metroid boxart
-Neo Ridley X
-Zero Mission
-NEStroid
-Gold Ridley statue
-Mecha Ridley
-possibly Meta Ridley

Last one's a Metroid husk, I think.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

What differentiates Mewtwo and Ridley is an interesting question. One key aspect that Mewtwo has shown consistently in his mainstream
appearances is a tendency to isolate himself from all contact normally and wait for challengers, as opposed to Ridley who actively seeks
them out to cause harm. The former's refusal to applaud can be seen as him not wanting anything to do with his opponent outside of
fighting them, the only thing that gives meaning to his existence. Ridley has no such qualms associating with his quarry, even if it's just to mock,
terrorize or otherwise belittle them. Also, Mewtwo is only interested in fighting those he perceives to be as strong as he is.

Last edited:

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042

-Super Metroid boxart
-Neo Ridley X
-Zero Mission
-NEStroid
-Gold Ridley statue
-Mecha Ridley
-possibly Meta Ridley

I think the last skin is a reference to Brawl Ridley, mainly because of the wing colors but I can see why the skin color could suggest otherwise

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace

It probably won't happen, but I had the idea the other day of Link getting a ton of his costumes from BotW, but in an update add in the ability to mix and match the tops, chest, and bottoms of each outfit for a bunch of other custom costumes.

Also naked Link when?

Last edited:
Ugh help I need this game too badly. I literally dreamt last night I was playing it and giving people nasty cases of road rash with Riddles lmao.

It probably won't happen, but I had the idea the other day of Link getting a ton of his costumes from BotW, but in an update add in the ability to mix and match the tops, chest, and bottoms of each outfit for a bunch of other custom costumes.

Also naked Link when?
WE GOT NAKED SHULK NOW GIVE US NAKED LINK SAKURAI YOU COWARD

OmegaX5000

Smash Journeyman

-Super Metroid boxart
-Neo Ridley X
-Zero Mission
-NEStroid
-Gold Ridley statue
-Mecha Ridley
-possibly Meta Ridley

I think the black alt on the bottom right might be either a reference to how he looked after being drained by the Metroid Queen, or it could just be a placeholder for Meta Ridley due to it being an earlier build than what was shown in the direct. At least, that's my take on it.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Just found this video that goes through Ridley's whole moveset:
The footage isn't always the clearest, but it's something. Few things:
-Love the rapid jab. For me the super extended rapid jab at the left side of Green Greens was actually the hypest part of the invitational.
-It's not entirely clear, but looks like he actually holds his tail with his hand when stabbing forward with it in F-tilt. If so, that's both hilarious and awesome.
-Up Smash is surprisingly acrobatic.
-Back air kick seems a little out of place, but hey, so do DK's kicks to me. His legs are so tiny compared to his arms.

Above all though, I like how Ridley uses his tail the most (Rapid jab, F-tilt, D-tilt, N-air, F-air, Pummel, U-throw and Down Special). Throughout his appearances it's consistently been one of his most dangerous tools so it seems fitting. I also like how most tail attacks are stabs instead of swipes. Adds to the brutality aspect.

Top Bottom