• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
For those who were curious about the Japanese reactions to Ridley being confirmed, I went and asked Clyde Mandelin (aka Tomato of Earthbound/ Mother 3 fame) on twitter and he told me:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

I thought it was very interesting that the Japanese were generally just as receptive towards his inclusion as we were. Though it intrigues me that some of them thought that Ridley wasn't "emotive" enough to be a fighter, whatever that means.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
For those who were curious about the Japanese reactions to Ridley being confirmed, I went and asked Clyde Mandelin (aka Tomato of Earthbound/ Mother 3 fame) on twitter and he told me:

I thought it was very interesting that the Japanese were generally just as receptive towards his inclusion as we were. Though it intrigues me that some of them thought that Ridley wasn't "emotive" enough to be a fighter, whatever that means.
It's interesting that people are now researching Ridley. I wonder if this will be a step towards more Metroid fans in Japan, kind of like how Marth and Roy in Melee was a massive step in making Fire Emblem as popular as it is in the Americas presently.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Emotive enough to be a fighter? What? That is such a weird thing

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
First it was, "too big". Now it's "not emotive enough"?

Gee, I sure am sorry about that Japan. Maybe Ridley can take some lessons on facial expressions from ROB and and Mr. Game and Watch. :rolleyes:

But seriously, this version of Ridley is pretty expressive. Not sure what they're talking about.

PF9

Smash Lord
Bowser is thrilled about Ridley for sure, it means a member for his villain stable, Evil, Inc., which also currently includes Dedede, Ganondorf and Bowser Jr.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Bowser is thrilled about Ridley for sure, it means a member for his villain stable, Evil, Inc., which also currently includes Dedede, Ganondorf and Bowser Jr.
As if Ganondorf and/or Ridley would listen to that goof off.

One of the best parts of SSE was that the Dorf disposed of Bowser the second he got a chance.

StormC

Smash Hero
The size comparison makes me think of Mario/Bowser. In the NES/SNES games he's pretty close to his Smash size:

Then he got bigger in the 3D games... more and more with each one:

Galaxy 2 is the only time his size change is addressed as far as I know (which is why I didn't include it). But he's only really Smash friendly in the 2D games.

I wish Ridley got to be a bit bigger than Bowser though. But oh well.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Still, this sounds about right. :p

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
The size comparison makes me think of Mario/Bowser. In the NES/SNES games he's pretty close to his Smash size:

Galaxy 2 is the only time his size change is addressed as far as I know (which is why I didn't include it). But he's only really Smash friendly in the 2D games.

He also sizeshifts with no explanation in Odyssey. His boss, playable, and end cutscene are different sizes.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

For what it's worth, Ridley's standing taunt shows that he's still at least a head taller than Bowser in Smash. I took Ridley's deceptively smaller appearance as a playable character as him tactically conserving his large frame to reduce the amount of stray attacks he might get from other characters, while also preventing his opponents from taking advantage of it.

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
Still, this sounds about right. :p

Ridley wouldn't grind bones. That takes time away from the meal.

On that thought, do you think Ridley ate Mario after crushing his head? He can't be more than bite-size for Ridley after all.

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
I can clearly hear "Go Ridley go!" Shame it's not something in tune to the Ridley theme though this is nice
It would have been hilarious if Ridley's cheer was just a crowd going "DUN, DUN, DUN-DUN! DUN, DUN, DUN-DUN!"

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
Around 55 seconds in, there's a cheer. Is it a Zelda cheer or a Ridley cheer?
I can't really hear the cheer that well, but it does sound like it's "Go, Ridley, go!"

At 0:20, though... Looks like it is possible to Ridleycide! You can escape from it, but it's still possible.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
I know, just look how joyful Ridley looks with that smile after tearing his enemies apart, :)

View attachment 149151
That is priceless. With all the off-screen footage I’ve seen and people cutting victory animations nobody could get a good view of them. Now getting closer look at it the detail is amazing this Smash game. I also find it funny how people still claim Ridley doesn’t show any personality or character, show people this when they allude to Ridley being just a “mindless beast”.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
First it was, "too big". Now it's "not emotive enough"?

Gee, I sure am sorry about that Japan. Maybe Ridley can take some lessons on facial expressions from ROB and and Mr. Game and Watch. :rolleyes:

But seriously, this version of Ridley is pretty expressive. Not sure what they're talking about.
Ahem

And that's not even touching his glitchy eyes, his dizzy animation or his idle where he briefly nods off

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime

All because poor Ridley isn't pale enough and doesn't wield a sword.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I had a dumb comic idea if King K. Rool gets confirmed;

K. Rool wonders why Ridley's not a total tool to him, only for it to turn out Ridley misses Kraid and K. Rool has a similar, if smaller appearance to him.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
It's been one week since we got the official confirmation of Ridley and I'm still giddy with excitement. Ridley's reveal is the best newcomer reveal I've personally seen.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
It's been one week since we got the official confirmation of Ridley and I'm still giddy with excitement. Ridley's reveal is the best newcomer reveal I've personally seen.
I'm still happy he's included, and I'm eager as all get out to play him, but I've calmed down more or less. Little Mac was the week after hype character for me, and I expect K. Rool to also be that character for me if and when he's revealed.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Glad Ridley's finally in, he deserves it. Can't wait to play As him. I love his moveset already.

StormC

Smash Hero
I dunno why they changed the voice over to "____ wins!" It just sounds so much better when the name syncs with the text.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm still excited but I think some of the wind was taken out of it due to the leak. I had been anticipating this possibility for months. I was more hyped for Cloud and his trailer, I must admit... but Ridley is still a top 5 Smash reveal for me. I eagerly anticipate unlocking and playing as him, and whatever else entertaining pictures/clips they throw together with him in pre-release.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Makes sense, Ridley's got tiny eyes that lack pupils and his mouth doesn't allow him to be very expressive, ROB has better/more noticable facial expressions. Sakurai likely agrees because Ridley's eyes are pink when he gets Screen KO-ed, it's pretty obvious when compared to how much more expressive the cast is. Plus, the tweet from Mother 3 Man implies Japan doesn't understand Ridley's character as well as we do. After all it was foreign fan demand that got him in

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I'm still excited but I think some of the wind was taken out of it due to the leak. I had been anticipating this possibility for months. I was more hyped for Cloud and his trailer, I must admit... but Ridley is still a top 5 Smash reveal for me. I eagerly anticipate unlocking and playing as him, and whatever else entertaining pictures/clips they throw together with him in pre-release.
I had no knowledge of the supposed leak. Though I remember being pretty hyped after Little Mac's trailer a few years ago.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I had no knowledge of the supposed leak. Though I remember being pretty hyped after Little Mac's trailer a few years ago.
Oh man, Mac's trailer still gives me chills. I recognized it in the first few seconds and just rode the hype wave all the way to the end. So good.

As far as leaks, you must've missed the Vergeben leak gaining momentum up until the reveal, that mentioned ICs and Snake coming back, as well as Ridley and Simon Belmont as newcomers, as well as no cuts. While Simon is still MIA, the rest of it has come true so far.

Chrollo.

fka president wario

I remember in the K Rool thread someone posted a poll from the Smash Ballot that had Ridley in 2nd or 3rd so he’s a lot more popular in Japan than we think. I’m glad to see other people discovering him though,

Also I don’t think they’re saying that he’s not emotive enough to be a fighter, they’re saying he’s not human enough to be emotive. Basically saying that a character like him shouldn’t be so expressional. It’s still silly to complain about, but yeah.

Top Bottom