• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I'm honestly a little surprised I'm not the only one who wants that stage back, here's hoping with it's popularity it does come back, in all of it's gimmicky ledge jank glory!
It was honestly my favorite stage in melee, very fun when you're playing as someone floaty like Mewtwo and the atmosphere and the music were just chilling and perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
So guys, if both Snake's Codec Calls and Palutena's Guidance returns, what sort of dialogue are you hoping they'll have for Ridley?

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
I didn’t play much of melee since I never had a GameCube but I did play a little at a friend’s house when I was much younger and Brinstar Depths always stuck out to me as the more memorable stages in the game tbh.

The music along with Kraid rising up through the lava/acid just gave the stage a creepy atmosphere that would look amazing in HD. (Come on, Sakurai, bring back our giant, three-eyed lizard!)

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
With the mention of Kraid and such, I honestly wouldn’t mind seeing him playable. But that’s extremely unlikely when Dark Samus is more important to Metroid lore wise and Kraid mostly being shafted or just not even considered for past Metroid games.

Last edited:

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
I honestly don't know what other characters I'd want in Smash now. Smash 4's roster was simply incredible, and with the inclusion of all previous characters in the franchise plus awesome-as-hell newcomers Ridley and Inklings in Ultimate, I feel like any more additions are icing on a big *** frickin multi-layered cake.

Smooth Criminal
Same feelings here. There are a few characters who I still want (Like new DK character.), but right now I'm highly satisfied with the current roster. Sakurai could say these are all of the characters in the game and I'd be 100% a-ok with that.

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
Kraid is TOO BIG

Plus he hasn't been in a game since 2004, and that was a remake
*too fat. I can't imagine Kraid jumping, which is kind of necessary for Smash. But with Daddy Sakurai, all things are possible.

Also, I don't quite understand what people see in Adam Malkovich as a Smash character. I can't recall him doing anything interesting, and I say that as someone who actually likes Other M (to an extent. I wouldn't even like it as much as I do if it weren't for the hatedom surrounding it. It's why I almost never interact with Metroid fans unless it's about Ridley.) Not that I don't believe he could be interesting--Sakurai can make just about anything work if he actually tries. The trick is getting him to that point.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
*too fat. I can't imagine Kraid jumping, which is kind of necessary for Smash. But with Daddy Sakurai, all things are possible.

Also, I don't quite understand what people see in Adam Malkovich as a Smash character. I can't recall him doing anything interesting, and I say that as someone who actually likes Other M (to an extent. I wouldn't even like it as much as I do if it weren't for the hatedom surrounding it. It's why I almost never interact with Metroid fans unless it's about Ridley.) Not that I don't believe he could be interesting--Sakurai can make just about anything work if he actually tries. The trick is getting him to that point.
Ridley wouldn't move and you'd need like 500% damage to kill him.

As for Malkovich, a simple jab would smash him out. Every. Single. Time.

Skyline1992

Smash Apprentice
You know regardless of whether Ridley was confirmed or deconfirmed, I'm just happy Sakurai showed him at E3. Now we don't have to argue for the next 6 months on what his fate is.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
Kraid is TOO BIG

Plus he hasn't been in a game since 2004, and that was a remake
I wouldn’t say he’s too big, but too girthy or round? Mainly because this exists:
CCF6DCC9-494D-4AC5-9DE8-327374E3E7FD.png

And there's still the glaring issue that Kraid hasn't even appeared in a decent while, maybe in Prime 4.
Now this is where I'm getting at, Kraid's body doesn't seem very mobile to say the least. However, I also felt this way when looking at Bowser's Melee and Brawl designs and it looked really strange seeing him awkwardly skid across the ground like he use to. I feel they could redesign Kraid in such a manner to make him viable as a fighter. Looking back at Kraid's model from Melee in the Brinstar Depths his legs are stubby but he does seem like he could get more mobility with the way they are there.

Last edited:
I'm still mad about Kraid and I will continue to be mad and make the exact same post everytime he is brought up until he gets brought back.

How the **** has such a cool monster managed to stay MIA for so long. In the original Metroid AND Super as big bosses. He was even in Melee!

And then. . .nothing. BRING BACK KRAID YOU COWARDS
:062:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I'm still mad about Kraid and I will continue to be mad and make the exact same post everytime he is brought up until he gets brought back.

How the **** has such a cool monster managed to stay MIA for so long. In the original Metroid AND Super as big bosses. He was even in Melee!

I am still hoping that Meta-Kraid will finally show up in Metroid Prime 4. Give Ridley a brief vacation so that Kraid can have the spotlight.

TonyMyOnly

Smash Apprentice
Honestly I'm hyped at the prospect of Dark Samus being an echo. Prime needs more representation.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
There was Metroid Blast that had a Kraid bot to be fair (it’s just kinda overshadowed by the two Ridley bots there), but yeah, he is always missed.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace

Ironically, Kraid's death may have allowed Ridley to live in smash bros.
Earlier on in metroid games, Kraid and Ridley were highly associated with each other. It was only after metroid prime didn't include Kraid that he rapidly fell off and Ridley became a more prominent character. If Kraid was in metroid prime or fusion, it's likely further games would have kept returning Kraid and the association between Ridley and Kraid would have been inseparable.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Makes one wonder how they would implement Captain Toad if they chose to, since he can't jump in his game.

IronTed

Smash Ace
I am aware that this is 1,000% hypocritical for me to say as an ardent Ridley supporter, but you guys really need to give up the Kraid dream. His time has passed.

But for real, it's easy to see why they dropped Kraid. For one, he isn't nearly as workable as Ridley. Also, axing him made way for other huge bosses like Flaahgra, Quadraxis, and Mogenar (which is eerily reminiscent of Kraid. Also, screw Mogenar). That being said, the fact he had no role or even cameo in Other M is baffling. Like they freaking brought back Phantoon and made him huge!

Last edited:

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
I definitely want to see Kraid in a Metroid game again. I really want to see how a 3D Kraid fight would work. I imagine you'd be in a huge crater with Kraid in the middle, firing thingamajigs out of his gut, and you'd need to position yourself to have him fire them in the right spots. I've also thought it would be cool if Samus fought Ridley and Kraid at the same time, with Samus using the grapple beam to drag Ridley into Kraid's mouth or something.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
So, hate to reopen old wounds, but I'm doing one last size comparison, mostly as a look back at how far we've come.
Someone PLEASE correct me if I somehow how these wrong.
ridley.png

Angelglory Angelglory BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros I got the models from screenshots and cut out the background, but if you have Ridley models to pose next to a Samus to compare sizes, that would make my night. Thanks for the T-Poses earlier by the way, those were immensely helpful.

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
So guys, if both Snake's Codec Calls and Palutena's Guidance returns, what sort of dialogue are you hoping they'll have for Ridley?
Just for the sake of a codec, I kind of wish Meta Ridley was the default. That way if you select the non-meta skin you can have snake say this:

Mei Ling, Ridley took his clothes off!

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
So, hate to reopen old wounds, but I'm doing one last size comparison, mostly as a look back at how far we've come.
Someone PLEASE correct me if I somehow how these wrong.
View attachment 149015
Angelglory Angelglory BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros I got the models from screenshots and cut out the background, but if you have Ridley models to pose next to a Samus to compare sizes, that would make my night. Thanks for the T-Poses earlier by the way, those were immensely helpful.
If he's in the taunt/pose where he's standing upright, he isn't that far off of the super metroid one (in between NES and Super size) aside from the head. Crouched down, he's more similar to the NES ridley in size.
Add the standing-up ridley to this size comparison and he'll fit in a bit more with the smaller super design.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

I honestly feel bad for Kraid because of the original three, he's been by far the most underused. Currently he's only appeared in Metroid, its remake, and Super, that's it. Outside of initial plans in Prime 1 (and being alluded to in the manual) and having a bit role in the manga, he's all but disappeared from the franchise. Compare that to the other two: Ridley is much more prominent, as he's now Samus' archnemesis and has appeared in all except four games in the franchise (two if you ignore spinoffs), and Mother Brain, who despite not properly appearing outside of Zebes still got a notable role in the manga and served as an influence for MB in Other M and the Aurora Units in Prime 3. The poor guy has just been left behind, which is a shame since his boss battles are pretty fun in both ZM and Super.

That's part of the reason why I hope Brinstar Depths returns, it'd be nice to have him get some recognition after being ignored for so long and I'd like to see how he'd look with an updated 3D model.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace

Also, I don't quite understand what people see in Adam Malkovich as a Smash character.
I was making a joke. I haven't actually played Other M all the way through yet, but it was my impression that a lot of Metroid fans really came to loath Malkovich's character in Other M, and I recall a lot of jokes about him authorizing people to do things (I looked up the context for that.).

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I was making a joke. I haven't actually played Other M all the way through yet, but it was my impression that a lot of Metroid fans really came to loath Malkovich's character in Other M, and I recall a lot of jokes about him authorizing people to do things (I looked up the context for that.).
I didn't blame his character for that. I blamed the developers of the game.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
I didn't blame his character for that. I blamed the developers of the game.
Well they're responsible for his character too so far.

That's certainly fair. I haven't played the GBA title where Malkovich was prominent either, so I really have no connection to him, good or bad.
In Fusion, Samus has an AI she works with that is the uploaded mind of Samus' late Commanding Officer, Adam, who apparently sacrificed his life to save Samus. Throughout the game we unfold the mystery behind this computer and the relationship between it and Samus.

In Other M, Adam is just an unnecessarily strict, illogical, and poorly written (and kind of a ****), and dies what seemed to be both unnecessary and anticlimatic. Pretty much undoing all the great story telling Fusion performed and the development that went into his character up until that point.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Well they're responsible for his character too so far.

In Fusion, Samus has an AI she works with that is the uploaded mind of Samus' late Commanding Officer, Adam, who apparently sacrificed his life to save Samus. Throughout the game we unfold the mystery behind this computer and the relationship between it and Samus.

In Other M, Adam is just an unnecessarily strict, illogical, and poorly written (and kind of a ****), and dies what seemed to be both unnecessary and anticlimatic. Pretty much undoing all the great story telling Fusion performed and the development that went into his character up until that point.
Yeah, that's about what I've read. Sad that.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I'm so happy you guys got Ridley! You did it. He is finally playable. What a crazy long ride that must've been. Congratulations! Another sight that I'm proud to see is how many Ridley supporters have flown over to the K. Rool thread to help in supporting the last remaining BIG reptile.

Ridley and K. Rool fans have been close for the most part ever since Smash 4. Here is hoping we can all see each other on the field of battle as our favorite pirate leaders and get the last of the BIG 3. (Mewtwo, Ridley, and K. Rool)
1514b1dfb255c4e132a55e08309e8a66a90f6187_hq.jpeg

Last edited:

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
anyone good at photoshop can make me a image to put on a trading card game playmat, maybe something with smash ridley ?

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
I actually thought Malkovich was more of a jerk in Fusion. After playing Other M, I heard other people say how he was better in Fusion, but after playing it, I honestly couldn't see why. Of course, I also blame the worst elements of his character in Other M on the developers' decision to make him a game mechanic. "Because the NPC said so" will never be a good enough reason for gamers to accept limitations on themselves, which is why Malkovich, Fi, and others like them will always be hated. I try not to blame a character for being a game mechanic, so I've always liked Fi and, while I don't necessarily like him (like I said, he seems to have always been a bit of a jerk in both his appearances), I accept Malkovich for who he is and not what he is.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I actually thought Malkovich was more of a jerk in Fusion. After playing Other M, I heard other people say how he was better in Fusion, but after playing it, I honestly couldn't see why. Of course, I also blame the worst elements of his character in Other M on the developers' decision to make him a game mechanic. "Because the NPC said so" will never be a good enough reason for gamers to accept limitations on themselves, which is why Malkovich, Fi, and others like them will always be hated. I try not to blame a character for being a game mechanic, so I've always liked Fi and, while I don't necessarily like him (like I said, he seems to have always been a bit of a jerk in both his appearances), I accept Malkovich for who he is and not what he is.
Well I'd argue Adam shooting Samus in the back, knocking her out in front of a Metroid that could have been modified to be immune to the cold just to warn her that there's a bunch of Metroids that could be immune to the cold and whining about not fighting Ridley while all his die because he's only focusing on Samus is a bigger reason than the gameplay restrictions

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Kraid's main problem is that he was designed with 2D environment in mind. It would be incredibly hard to balance him out without changing things too much. Still, his absence is jarring.

I feel like Other M size comparison is a bit off here, but I'm not quite sure. Can you compare it to this one?
BIG.png
This image uses models and poses from the game.

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
Well I'd argue Adam shooting Samus in the back, knocking her out in front of a Metroid that could have been modified to be immune to the cold just to warn her that there's a bunch of Metroids that could be immune to the cold and whining about not fighting Ridley while all his die because he's only focusing on Samus is a bigger reason than the gameplay restrictions
Well, I never said he wasn't a jerk in Other M. But the main complaint always seems to be the permissions thing. But that could be just because it's a meme.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Kraid's main problem is that he was designed with 2D environment in mind. It would be incredibly hard to balance him out without changing things too much. Still, his absence is jarring.

I feel like Other M size comparison is a bit off here, but I'm not quite sure. Can you compare it to this one?
This image uses models and poses from the game.
Thanks.
ridley.png

Long shot, anyone have any models of the Prime Varia suit, or has that game not been dumped yet? Wanted a Samus to compare to Meta Ridley/Omega Ridley in there.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Thanks.
View attachment 149107
Long shot, anyone have any models of the Prime Varia suit, or has that game not been dumped yet? Wanted a Samus to compare to Meta Ridley/Omega Ridley in there.
There was a size comparison somewhere on 4chan. It had other bosses as well. They are T-posed though.
The thing is that Prime resizes the models through its engine in addition to their models having their own sizes, so, unless you can take a look at the coding, you can't correctly compare everything.

Last edited:
Top Bottom