• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looking for REAL gamecube controllers? Look no further!

Ja

Smash Journeyman
So I did some digging and apparently Nintendo still makes and sells official GC controlles they're just not well advertised at all. Probably because they're pushing the Wii/Classic controller. Anyways here's the link.

They still sell N64 controllers so GC controllers should be around for a while. Plus GC controllers are durable, seems like a 6+ year life span is the consensus. I plan to pick up 2, if I'm still playing Melee/Brawl when the 2nd one breaks I'll be surprised.

Also don't buy "Nintendo" GC controllers from stores like Amazon, they sell cheap knockoffs that are identical in every way except the Nintendo logo/words, and their quality. Ofc if you can find real Nintendo GC controllers in a store those will probably be on clearance and will be cheaper than buying direct from Nintendo.

PyroRyuken

Smash Ace
Try buying them from Amazon Marketplace not Amazon themselves. I bought a real Nintendo black GC controller for 12 dollars there and it works perfectly despite being used. I know about those cheap knockoffs though, they sell thousands of them on ebay.

This isn't really related to melee so this is bound to be locked.

kook321

Smash Apprentice
OMG, i been looking for official controllers for a while. All i could find were cheap knocks off that broke the first week. Thax alot

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Funny, the little google add at the bottom has them for 130$ now.

Thats quality sponsership!

Anyways, good find, and thanks for letting us know before we get shafted.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
Perfect timing actually, I was about to go out and start looking for this - you saved me some time (I did check to make sure it was a phishing scam though, hope you don't mind). Bought a friend a controller for Christmas since he'll be needing it for Brawl.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
If you have your old shell, you can simply replace the New shell (and trigger covers) with the old one
Emphasis.

My controller is currently orange and black, official Nintendo covers. I'm happy with the color scheme I have now, and if this controller breaks, I'll simply buy a new one, and I'll switch the cover shells. I like the R and L buttons I currently have as they are broken in for me. I can't play with new controllers, sometimes the shoulders require so much force to push down all the way.

Ja

Smash Journeyman
Perfect timing actually, I was about to go out and start looking for this - you saved me some time (I did check to make sure it was a phishing scam though, hope you don't mind). Bought a friend a controller for Christmas since he'll be needing it for Brawl.
Nah, I don't mind it's always good to be cautious on the internet. :cool:

I'm glad many people also found this useful.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
I'm going to look for some on Boxing Day (Canadian Black Friday). I've noticed that my L trigger has been getting sticky...too luck L-cancelling and wavedashing :p

WFL

Smash Journeyman
I've been saying that Nintendo stills sells gamecube controllers for months. They're not that hard to find guys.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Because of the small difference between silver controllers and the other controllers, be sure you test out a silver one before buying it.

Rat

Smash Lord
The one I bought for melee, broke like 2 months ago. The L button works maybe 3/5ths of the time. The joystiq (the cover?) has a crack. The ridges have all been worn down. So that is about a 2 and a 1/2 year life span. Definately not 6.

Xanthyr

Smash Journeyman
am I the only person that after 6 years of playing still has his first controller?
I still have mine as well, both of them in fact. Then again I don't ever squeeze/flex or toss my controller in a fit of joy or frustration; that could be it.

When mine does go out, I'll definitely have to get an official one though, I don't like third parties that much.

Civy

Smash Cadet
Well, that's US and Canada only T___T; ...
(and find one in France is quite impossible)

I can only play with official controller, tired of the others with broken joystick after 3 days...
Even if I can't buy one on this, thx, as I think that's will be useful for a lot people.
am I the only person that after 6 years of playing still has his first controller?
Dunno how you can even play with your first controller.
Did you buy your cube last year ? :/
My first controller is dead since years, mostly because of Ssbm, try to play with a new one, you'll see the diffenrence.. .(particulary with the joystick..)

Deathanchor

Smash Apprentice
I really want a new controller, but don't want to have to pay that much, are they still $30 US on Amazon? the one i use currently has half of the control stick chewed off by a hungry bunny T_T
It kinda bothers because the controller registers up when I'm pushing right sometimes.

Snowstorm

Smash Apprentice
I still have my original black controller after about 5 years. I don't expect ever needing to get a new one except for when I first play Brawl and squeeze the controller so hard it shatters in my hand......

adamanga

Smash Rookie
I still have my original controller as well, Dragmire. Surprisingly without any difficulties, and I believe it's about 3-4 years old!

Magedark

Smash Rookie
I have two I had since the beginning. The purple and orange. Both have the pad off the control stick so it hurts to play, and they have a bad tendency to "move" automatically when it plugs in. Thank Nintendo for Y+X+Start.

Top Bottom