• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Longest range non-projectile attack?

Linjishu

Smash Rookie
Have there been any studies on this? As in, which move has the longest range (excluding projectiles)? It'd be nice if it was split up into A attacks and B attacks too. This is also excluding Ness' yo-yo glitch.

Anyways, as far as A moves go, is it Marth's fair/fsmash, Ganondorf's fair, Donkey Kong's bair, or something else?

As far as B attacks go, I'm guessing it's Link's up+b if we don't count the ones that physically move the character (rollout, egg roll, volt tackle, falcon kick, etc).

orintemple

Smash Lord
If its just limb movement attacks, not full body, then I'd guess probably Marth's Fsmash. You can cut it through the buildings in Onett, Fourside and Peach's Castle.

Roman.

Smash Champion
Are you asking like for hitbox? Probably falcon's/ganon's dair cause that starts at their chest. If your asking extention wise from one spot, prob DK's bair or something. Marth's f-tilt is probably high on the list too.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Another question is if you count grabs. Samus' extender is easily the longest non-projectile in that case.

Marth's tipper definitely reaches the farthest of any standard melee attacks from his body, although Link's spin attack has more reach from tip to tip.

Vertically, the award probably goes to Marth's up-tilt. I'm pretty sure it's one of the only attacks that will reach through Dreamland's platform from the ground. I don't know which others there are. Maybe DK's? I'm not quite the expert on low-tier stats.

Farthest horizontal reach in the air will probably go to Marth's b-air if you don't count air grapples.

This is actually kind of a fun topic.

PsychopathicEmus

Smash Journeyman
if i'm not mistaken..pikachu's fsmash is longer than marth or roy's fsmash. i think ganon's fair is pretty rangey, not sure if that's THE longest range non-projectile move though.

Binx

Smash Master
Marth's forward tilt has a little more range than his forward smash, I think thats the furthest. I havn't seen the hitbox for his bair though so I don't know if wobbles is right or if it is the forward tilt.

House M.D.

Smash Apprentice
the reasonable candidates would be depending on what you mean by longest reach include (no research done, using only roster list and my knowledge). also, in most cases i think marth's attacks are longer but maybe roy is equal.
fairs: ganon, zelda
bairs: bowser (most vertical range), DK, zelda, marth
uairs: zelda, G&W, marth (other two farther, but this is farthest continuous)
dairs: ganon, marth (most horizontal range)
nairs: marth (behind), samus (in front), G&W (above), no one below? (bowser/dk, pichu/pikachu)

fsmash: marth
dsmash: marth (below), DK (overall), mewtwo (least behind)
upsmash: marth/ganon (highest), ness (horizontal)

tilts: probably all marth but i don't know them well enough (maybe ganon's for forward)

dash: marth w/o sliding, not sure if we include sliding

jab: marth

up b: peach (distance between starting attack and damage done), else G&W/fox (verticle), DK/bowser (horizontal)
down b: luigi (with DI), kirby/bowser/yoshi (below vertical), peach (somehow), fox/falco (reflected laser), DK (horizontal behind), pikachu (vertical above), Captain Falcon (horizontal on ground)...this one depends on definition
side b: mario/doc (caping lasers), luigi (horizontal) yoshi (???), climbers together (vertical), bowser (distance from body)...most are projectiles, again depends on definition)
neutral b: jigglypuff (projectileish), kirby/dk (horizontal), roy (vertical)

so, given this, it seems that the attack with the most range is peach's up b

HiIH

Smash Lord
Yeah, ground wise it's Marth's fsmash, Roy's fsmash, and then Link's. Link's is potentially longer though if you count BOTH of his fsmash's, since he has one and then the other.

Also, all three of their forward smashes can hit through the same buildings and such, except for Hyrule Temple's piller in the middle, and then it's just Marth and Roy.

greenblob

Smash Lord
How would you define "range"? Is it the length of the disjointed hitbox? Is it from an arbitrary point on the body to the tip? Is it the size of the hitbox? What about attacks like Jiggly's fsmash or Mewtwo's aerials (which push him up if used at the peak of his 2nd jump)?

Aaryk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aarykk
3DS FC
0834-3787-5311
It all depends on direction.
Horizontal could go to Marth, DK bair, Ganon fair, etc.
But as far as upwards or downwards, ganon has that covered. The dair hitbox is his entire body, and his uair has the full 180 degree arc.
shyaah.

Top Bottom