• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Loading GeckoOS from the SD card on a non-hacked Wii?

Richard7

Smash Ace
Just curious, does the latest version of Gecko OS reduce the Wii from freezing or anything? Because I have version 1.07 and the Wii freezes every now and then when I play with texture hacks. But it happens on textures that I've tested and wouldn't normally freeze on those textures.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Make sure you have the latest version of the texture code.

My wii still randomly freezes, but its more like once every 2 weeks or something.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
So SP, are you doing this because you want to organize a Brawl+ tournament with a large quantity of Wiis yet use just a single SD card?

D

Deleted member

So SP, are you doing this because you want to organize a Brawl+ tournament with a large quantity of Wiis yet use just a single SD card?
ugh, you can already do this. oncce the game has loaded you can take out the SD card and use it on the next wii

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I'm not a Brawl+ fan, unfortunately. I'm actually thinking of making a new version of Brawl (similar but with many differences from EX) with almost no changes to the gameplay engine which could easily become a new standard at tournaments across the country if accepted enough. I'm running some ideas by the SBR right now to get some feedback before (or if) I take the project public.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I'm not a Brawl+ fan, unfortunately. I'm actually thinking of making a new version of Brawl (similar but with many differences from EX) with almost no changes to the gameplay engine which could easily become a new standard at tournaments across the country if accepted enough. I'm running some ideas by the SBR right now to get some feedback before (or if) I take the project public.
Ok sounds cool, you'd likely still want HBC installed though....

Revven

FrankerZ
Ok sounds cool, you'd likely still want HBC installed though....
He has it installed, he wants to make it widespread though, and most people are afraid to install the HBC on their Wiis which is why he wants to load Gecko OS directly on virgin Wiis without needing to install the HBC.

In other words, without being able to do this, it limits his ideas and his goal. And btw, good luck with changing certain characters' stupid things like locks and chain grabs and release infinites. Esp. chain grabs like Falco's and DDD's because once those were gone in Brawl+, Falco didn't lose much but, DDD did. If you plan to touch his CG, you better be prepared to compensate for it.

shanus

Smash Hero
Good luck with that. Just wondering, could you PM me why you arent a fan of B+? Always interesting to hear negative feedback.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
He has it installed, he wants to make it widespread though, and most people are afraid to install the HBC on their Wiis which is why he wants to load Gecko OS directly on virgin Wiis without needing to install the HBC.

In other words, without being able to do this, it limits his ideas and his goal.
Exactly. I'm actually going to be working on a virgin Wii later today, and I'd love to test out BannerBomb to see if it works.

And btw, good luck with changing certain characters' stupid things like locks and chain grabs and release infinites. Esp. chain grabs like Falco's and DDD's because once those were gone in Brawl+, Falco didn't lose much but, DDD did. If you plan to touch his CG, you better be prepared to compensate for it.
Not going to change anything about any characters. The only gameplay changes I'm proposing are no tripping and possibly PT as 3 separate characters. Nothing else.

Good luck with that. Just wondering, could you PM me why you arent a fan of B+? Always interesting to hear negative feedback.
I'm not a fan of B+ because of, a) the changes to the game (one of the many reasons I personally enjoy Brawl is for the speed and the inherent lack of combos), and b) the idea of it in general. I like the way Brawl works as it is now. I'd just like to fine-tune some things to make it even better.

Revven

FrankerZ
Not going to change anything about any characters. The only gameplay changes I'm proposing are no tripping and possibly PT as 3 separate characters. Nothing else.
Ah, alright. Well, PT is gonna be a huge thing to debate. It's no question that they do better on their own (well, except Ivy). Come to think of it, Ivy would be even worse on his own, but, I guess it won't matter enough to help him in any way. Long as no stamina was used, I think they would do better along with the option to still play as PT as well. (Just create a CSS with the three pogeys separated and then PT).

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
It would be news to me if Bannerbomb was able to run Gecko now.
I'm pretty sure that the current release messes with the disc reader while running because Gecko always gets a disc read error when running through Bannerbomb. At the same time, the error still appears if you run an app launcher with Gecko through Bannerbomb.

I think illinialex is right; you have to install the HBC first and then run Gecko before moving on to the next Wii.

I guess it isn't quite instant, like it would be running directly off of Bannerbomb, but it literally takes like 30 seconds to install BootMii and then install the HBC. Start up Gecko and move on to the next Wii.

People are just too paranoid to trust that though. At the very worst you freeze your Wii because you were an idiot, and that does no harm whatsoever; just hold down the power button for a few seconds and presto.

The idea that it is hacking their Wii just scares people. Even if it is 100% safe, will not brick your Wii if you follow the simple directions, and isn't permanent by any means people still fear the worst when it comes to installing the HBC.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I like no tripping but changing PT to be 3 separate would have implications, it would make it so the gameplay is changed enough (unless its only a CSS change) that it wouldn't be that accepted, if your trying to keep Brawl it might differ enough. Add in replay in tags and unlimited replay length though, it should be useful.

And yeah, Bootmii beta 2 is safe. Its safe. They should make an only HBC option however, I'm gonna see if that can be done.... I wonder if they released their source...

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Yeah, that is true. :(

You could just help out SCOTU with the EX set, with stuff like a Stage Select Screen, A better CSS, and some other stuff that you like/want.

On a side note, you helped tons, illinialex. I now have this all ready for people to try out. With stage textures already put in the thing. :)

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Actually the EX set has NOTHING changed.

That includes things like tripping. Even if the change is minor, removing random tripping does affect gameplay.

EX is just more convenient for the players, with the replay codes for instance.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Actually the EX set has NOTHING changed.

That includes things like tripping. Even if the change is minor, removing random tripping does affect gameplay.

EX is just more convenient for the players, with the replay codes for instance.
Okay, then all that has to be done is adopt the EX set and change the tripping. It's a tiny code to boot anyways so...

Roxas M

Smash Master
i was wondering if someone here can help me by telling me where i can get all the stuff i need to play brawl+.my wiis barcode is lu51 and my system update is 4.0u. i have never downloaded any hacks on my wii. if you can help me can someone reply to this post or pm me?

illinialex24

Smash Hero
i was wondering if someone here can help me by telling me where i can get all the stuff i need to play brawl+.my wiis barcode is lu51 and my system update is 4.0u. i have never downloaded any hacks on my wii. if you can help me can someone reply to this post or pm me?
This shall not be discussed on SWF. PM me for more information pertaining to these rules ;)

A lot of detailed information pertaining to very slightly to this rule...

comboking

Smash Master
Oh anyway, how to install HBC and play Brawl+ on an LU64 Wii (this should work fine):

http://www.mediafire.com/?jy4nnmmw0mj

Download that and extract it to an EMPTY SD card.

Now, on your Wii, without your SD card in, go to Wii, Data Management, Channels, SD card and then insert your SD card. After verifying that you did not buy the software (I'm not selling it lol), it gives you a bunch of options.

IF YOU HAVE LU64, DO NOT CHOOSE ANY BUT INSTALLING HBC/HOMEBREW. INSTALLING THE IOS WILL DEFINITELY BRICK YOUR WII.

Anyway, this will just install the channel if you just choose to install HBC and now you have it. Go into the Homebrew channel and load GeckOS, it has the default codes set to offline Brawl+. If you want online, rename the offline code one to anything and rename the online one to RSBE01.gct

Enjoy :)
It says I have to many lines and cheats why?
I don't have an LU64 wii btw

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Samurai Panda, you may be in luck. I found a video that might have answered your question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YAXKjWBA9k

From my understandings, this video loads a boot.dol file from SSBB. If this can be done without any modifications, you would be able to place the Gecko 1.9 boot.dol file, the codes, and the exploit on your SD card, load brawl up, go to the stage creator, load the boot.dol (which will load Gecko), and then just load the codes from Gecko

This is IF this can be done without any exploits. Not much information has been released about this yet (according to the description) but it may be exactly what you're looking for :)

illinialex24

Smash Hero
That is using Brawl as an exploit to install HBC or Bootmii.

That is sick, still hacks your Wii but still. I'm glad they are finding out options to exploit this stuff. I'm guessing they converted an .elf to a binary file, pretty sick.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
That is using Brawl as an exploit to install HBC or Bootmii.

That is sick, still hacks your Wii but still. I'm glad they are finding out options to exploit this stuff. I'm guessing they converted an .elf to a binary file, pretty sick.
It's not used just to install HBC or Bootmii

If you watched the loader, it said "Loading boot.dol." That "boot.dol" could be replaced with anything so I'm sure Gecko would work. If not, someone explain to my why it wouldn't.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
It's not used just to install HBC or Bootmii

If you watched the loader, it said "Loading boot.dol." That "boot.dol" could be replaced with anything so I'm sure Gecko would work. If not, someone explain to my why it wouldn't.
Not necessarily, Bannerbomb loads Bootmii but not GeckOS per say. Both are boot.elf's. They can't necessarily get fully functionality.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Really, because I heard that some apps do not work when loading BootMii. such as the Wad installer (an example)

I already have homebrew, lol

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Thats because of IOS issues, your running 4.0 right?? There's no shell thats gonna make those work unless you change IOS's to cIOS's unless they manage to change the program enough to get it to work.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
I know. I am saying that I can't wait until it becomes easier to get all apps.

I don't run 4.0. I used the Twilight Hack to get Homebrew.

Fenrir

Smash Ace
NNID
FenrirW0lf
3DS FC
3523-2051-9785
What keeps GeckoOS from booting via BannerBomb? I was under the assumption that it'll load any boot.dol/boot.elf you throw at it.

D

Deleted member

dunno if people heard about it here, but there is a new twilight sort of exploit, using brawl.
if that can be used (it's not yert released) to load geckoOS, then it would make things very easy.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
No, it would make it harder. You would have to start up Brawl, goto stage builder, it would load GeckoOS, then you would have to start up brawl.

Right now we can just load GeckoOS from the System Menu.

comboking

Smash Master
just use bannerbomb and get the bootmii .ELF file and then download the homebrew channel and load GeckoOS through the HBC. Thats the easiest way. Well thats what I do at least

Top Bottom